Chapter 53, August 1512
Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, August 1512

The drawing-room was thankfully cool, for the stone interior of the palace helped keep the brutal summer heat out. Catalina raised her brow slightly as set eyes upon her sister Maria, whose svelte waist was unusually thick,”I see that you are with child again sister.”
Maria chuckled at this, even letting out a hoarse snort,”Yes I am Catalina, it would seem that God blesses Manuel and I once more.”
Catalina clutched her rosary, pressing her lips to the cool silver cross,”Yes, the Lord has blessed all of us with prosperity in these past years.”
They commenced with the usual banter, with the youngest daughters of Ferdinand and Isabella discussing matters of faith, while Juana desperately tried to change the subject. She finally succeeded with a flick of her head,”I was under the impression that we came here so our children can meet? Or do you wish to do so tomorrow instead?”
The Queen of Portugal nodded,”Oh right…” She then turned towards the door,”You may come in now Isabella.”
The door at the opposite side of the room opened, as Elvira de Mendoza, one of Maria’s ladies, led the Infanta Isabella into the room. The nine-year-old wore a velvet white-gold dress as well as a beautiful necklace inlaid with large topazes. She curtseyed gracefully, delicately holding the folds of her dress,”It is excellent to see you again my aunt’s.” She turned her gaze towards her cousin Ferdinand,”And I am very pleased to meet you my Lord King.”
The King of Castile blushed at this, and struggled to respond coherently mumbling,”I…”
A smile came across Maria’s face”There is no need to be so unnerved dear nephew, my daughter is a girl, not some beast.”
Young Ferdinand bowed his head, his flush receding,”I am pleased to meet your acquaintance my infanta, would you like to play some music later?”
Isabella smiled broadly,”Of course I would, I hear that you play the vihuela well.”
Catalina beamed with pride as she looked on,”I think they will be well suited dear sisters.”
Juana and Maria enthusiastically agreed with her, and Catalina had hoped that the meeting between João and Catarina would go as well.

Said meeting certainly did not go as well as the first. While the two seemed friendly enough, young Catarina’s attention soon drifted, and eventually, she found herself playing with her betrothed’s younger sister Beatriz instead. This led Maria to place a comforting hand on her eldest son’s shoulder, as he was rather sullen by the turn of events”Do not distress yourself so João, she will mature in time, and will prove to be a fine wife.”
While clearly not convinced, the Prince did not argue,“If you say so, mother.”
Catalina herself interjected,”Yes I promise that she will be, she is after all your mother’s niece, and your father has nothing but good things to say about her.”

PS: My most sincere apologies that this is a day late, but I was busy over the weekend and struggled to think of a good way to write this out.

Last edited:
Don't worry at all about it being late! And I think you did a good job. Nice to see that Ferdinand and Isabella 2: The Electric Boogaloo seem to be getting along well already. Hopefully João and Catarina will be the same once Catarina is a little older!

Also: if Catalina is going to marry then she better do it soon. Only a matter of months before she turns 27, that's getting on in years by 16th century standards.

Also: if Catalina is going to marry then she better do it soon. Only a matter of months before she turns 27, that's getting on in years by 16th century standards.
Catalina NOW is NOT interested in remarrying: she has a Kingdom to rule and her nephew and niece to fill the place of the children who she do not have. When Ferdinand will be adult and married maybe she will persuaded to remarry, likely to an older King with small children who need companionship, a new mother for his children and a Queen able to rule more than other heirs

Don't worry at all about it being late! And I think you did a good job. Nice to see that Ferdinand and Isabella 2: The Electric Boogaloo seem to be getting along well already. Hopefully João and Catarina will be the same once Catarina is a little older!
Thank you so very much.. In truth mostly disliked the fact that I broke my pattern of releasing a new chapter every weekend..Yes they certainly are getting along well and their namesake grandparents (ick but oh well) would be proud to see how things go for them. João and Catarina will get on better when she gets older, that's for sure, though maybe not quite as much as Ferdinand and Isabella 2.0.

This is true, but Catalina does have more important things to do at the moment...
Catalina NOW is NOT interested in remarrying: she has a Kingdom to rule and her nephew and niece to fill the place of the children who she do not have. When Ferdinand will be adult and married maybe she will persuaded to remarry, likely to an older King with small children who need companionship, a new mother for his children and a Queen able to rule more than other heirs
You are certainly right... She won't be remarrying for quite a while, and it will be to a King who fits exactly those criteria... Thank you so much!