Chapter 36, May 1510
  • The Alhambra, Kingdom of Castile, May 1510

Catalina sat in her study, quill in hand as she planned the more practical aspects of the North African campaign. Firstly, she had already established would not lead the men, instead she would delegate the task to Diego Fernández de Córdoba, with Cardinal Cisneros to play a role in heightening the morale of the men through prayer. What she was addressing in this letter is the treatment of the populace of the captured settlements. By the time she was finished the letter stated,” Once the Infidels surrender, several churches are to be built in the conquered cities, they must be higher than their mosques, to prove our dominance over them. Anyone who defaces these churches or the holy icons within them are to be expelled with only what they can carry. Those Mohammedans that remain will have the status of Mudéjares, allowed the privilege of living so long as they obey the King’s will. They will also be free to live by their own laws and customs, but they cannot employ a Christian in any menial tasks and must wear a crescent badge displaying their status as infidels. The Mudéjares must pay a tax on their wealth to the crown, for the privilege of their protection. Failure to do so could result in expulsion. Any Christian that converts to Islam, and any Morisco that does the same will be deemed Apostates and will be burnt at the stake for their sins. The Mudéjares, on pain of death, must allow our troops to be billeted in their towns, and any rebellion will carry the same punishment.” (1)
    -Catalina of Aragon, Princess Regent of Castile.

(1) Essentially Catalina holds a middle ground regarding the treatment of the Muslims in North Africa. She, thanks to her personality, will not allow them the same rights as Christians, yet, she also realizes that if she were to expel all of them, North Africa would be practically empty and useless.

Chapter 37, June 1509
  • Windsor Castle, Kingdom of England, June 1509

There was a stifling heat in the air, and Giovanna was grateful for the cool goblet of wine that she held in her hand. Her stepson Henry had a handful of freshly picked flowers in his hands, grinning as he passed most of them over to his sisters. They were Columbines, beautiful flowers, their inner white petals flanked by pale violet ones. All three; Mary, Catherine, and Joanna smiled broadly as they received them, and Joanna hugged her half-brother’s leg. Henry chuckled in response, and picked her up, with his other hand, planting an affectionate kiss on her cheek. Soon enough the youngest Tudor girl was distracted by a fluttering bird, and she turned to Henry, asking,”What bird is that Harry?”
    Said bird soon landed upon the branch of a large Oak, and as it energetically tweeted at another of its kind Henry answered her, awkwardly mumbling as he did so,”It’s a… uh... titmouse.”
    The young man turned scarlet, and Mary laughed quietly, covering her mouth as she did so. Catherine and Joanna were understandably confused by this, and Catherine poured a goblet of water, took a sip from it, and as she poured another called to her sister,”Come have some water Joanna, you need to have some if we want to keep playing, you wouldn’t want to get sick from the heat…”
    Henry set Joanna back on the grass, and the toddler nodded,”I guess I will if you want me to.”
    Giovanna smiled as he gazed upon the scene, Joanna obeying the ever-attentive Catherine, who, along with Mary Boleyn and Giovanna, were the women that the toddler seemed to listen to most. Lost in her reverie, Giovanna did not notice that her stepson had approached where she sat, remaining flowers in hand. The young man smirked and cleared his throat,”I have some for you as well, lady stepmother.”
    Turning her head back to him, Giovanna chuckled and took the Columbines into her hand. As she inhaled the sweet scent of the flowers, she gave him a wide smile,”Thank you Harry; you are very sweet.”
    Henry inclined his head,”It was only fair that I gave you some, you have done much to make things better for me and my father.”
    As her stepson returned to speaking with Mary, of gossip judging by the tone of the laughter, Giovanna thought,”I hope it is only us that he means to charm, the last thing we need is a mistress wrapping him around her finger.”

Chapter 38, August 1510
  • Windsor Palace, Kingdom of England, August 1510

She stood in the dining room, ready to make her exit, her husband’s hands in hers. The older man, though thin, placed a hand on his nearly nonexistent belly,”That was an excellent meal Giovanna, the grapes that your uncle sent for your birthday were delicious! Where did he say they were from again?”
    “In his letter he wrote that they were from Cariñena, he claims that is where the finest grapes in all Aragon are grown.”
    Henry chuckled,”I am afraid that I must agree with your uncle on their quality.”
    As the two made to walk to his chambers together, where, some financial ledgers awaited Henry, they happened upon a courier in the Tudor livery. The man quickly bowed before handing the king a letter. As Henry read the letter, the courier explained its contents,”King John of Denmark was thrown from his horse a few weeks ago, and has died from his infection. The Herredag assembly has confirmed his son Christian’s election as King of Denmark. King Christian wants to know when he can wed the Lady Mary…”
    The King nodded at this,”I will draft a letter offering my condolences, and I will send my daughter to Denmark within the next year…. “ He paused, violently coughing into his hand, something which made Giovanna anxious, but after a few moments it abatted and he continued,”In the spring, after her fifteenth birthday, she’ll have a dowry of three hundred thousand crowns.”
    “Of course, your majesty.”
    With that, the courier left, and Henry turned to Giovanna,”Would you tell Harry of his sister’s impending departure? It would be best if you were the one to inform him.”
    “Of course, Henry… Don’t work yourself too hard, do you not wish to see Harry wed?”
    Her husband sighed,”Of course I do my love, but I must ensure that I carry on with the business of the Kingdom.”
    Giovanna frowned at this, and Henry hugged her,”Maybe when I am done with my papers we can go see Charles and Joanna in the nursery… Does that sound good to you?”
    “Yes it does, I will see you then.”

Giovanna made her way through the palace’s hallways, methodically, so as not to disturb anyone. She stopped a few paces outside Henry’s chambers, shocked at what she heard grunts emanating from the room, and in between them she heard her stepson praise the woman he was with,”Oh Mademoiselle Popincourt, this must not be your first time...”
    There was giggling at this, as the two continued.
    Shortly afterward a high-pitched voice frantically cried out,”Oui, oui, mon dieu, comme ça, plus dur!”
    Giovanna was horrified at this, not necessarily of what was happening, but that she had stumbled upon it, and heard of this most private act. What’s more, as she slinked away she wondered if Jane, who in her mid-twenties, and teaching her stepdaughters French, was really a good choice as their tutor, as she seemed to lack virtue…

Last edited:
    Chapter 39, December 1510
  • Alcázar of Seville, Kingdom of Castile, December 1510

Catalina smiled as she looked down upon the sleeping infant in her arms. Little Martin was not closely related to her, yet he may as well have been, for she felt the same joy that she experienced when she held little Catarina in her arms. The child, now six months old, was a large, healthy boy, with the promise of a bright future. Said future was one that Catalina would carefully guide, for she wanted to do well by her friend Maria and her husband Gabriel Fernández Manrique, perhaps you will command my nephew’s Tercios’ one day, little one, and become another Gran Capitan…. She passed the baby over to Maria, who was visibly relieved, as for the past month, Martin was constantly crying and not sleeping well, a sign that some of his teeth were coming early. As she put the baby into his cradle Maria softly murmured,”That’s much better Martin, I hope that this will be a long reprieve from your pains.”
    Maria’s husband, Gabriel, quietly entered the room, thoroughly surprised by his son’s suddenly calm demeanor. He bowed his head slightly to Catalina and whispered,”A courier informed me that your stepmother, the Queen of Aragon, is with child again.”
    The smile on Catalina’s lips faded, for this could complicate her plans for the King of Castile…. She nodded at this,”Thank you for informing Don Gabriel… Let us hope that the child is a girl, so that the King will inherit Aragon from his grandfather.”
    Gabriel bowed,”Of course milady.”
    Catalina chuckled quietly at this,”That is hardly necessary, you are Steward of my household, not some errand boy. You needn’t be so formal in private.”
    Maria de Salinas smirked,”Can’t you see Catalina, my dear husband is intimidated by you… You give him your dearest friend’s hand in marriage, and a position in court, so he does not wish to upset you.”
    She turned back to her friend’s husband, smiling,”You don’t need to worry about your position… So long as you’re a good husband to Maria you will want for nothing.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 40, January 1511
  • Windsor Castle, Kingdom of England, January 1511

The corridor was filled with the typical noises; laughs, murmurs, and sighs as courtiers filtered their way out of the main hall. None of that concerned Giovanna, for it, was not words that she sought, but a particular face. She came upon said face quickly enough, that of a woman with pale skin, delicate features, and a rather haughty smirk fixed upon her face, as a young male courtier whispered into her ear.
    “Mademoiselle Popincourt!” Giovanna called out
    The woman bowed her head, light blonde hair jutting out from her black hood, one encrusted with pearls. The hood was something that a mere tutor should not be able to afford, at least without favor of a certain burly Prince. The Queen gave the woman a small nod, acknowledging her shallow show of humility. “Come with me Jane.” She beckoned.
    She did so, inexpressively, if Jane was at all worried, she hid it well. The two soon entered the Queen’s chambers, their skirts flourishing through the air. As she sat at a chair near the roaring fire at one end of the room she dismissed her servants,”Please leave us, we have important matters to discuss.”
    As the servants left the room, seemingly pleased that their work there was done Giovanna motioned to the chair across from her,”Sit.”
    Jane did so, and as she settled in, Giovanna murmured,”I know about you and Prince Henry.”
    Mademoiselle Popincourt’s mouth twitched at this, but she said nothing.
    Giovanna continued,”I am not asking you to end things with him…”
    The other woman raised an eyebrow,”Then what do you require of me?”
    She gave her a simple answer,”Discretion… Remember, you must be an example of outwardly virtuous conduct to my stepdaughters’… Fail in that and you will be removed from your position.” She paused for a moment, clearing her throat,”Do you understand what I ask of you?”
    Jane nodded,”I will try to be, I am most grateful for the lenience that you have shown your majesty.”
    Giovanna smiled,”Good, now see to it that you conduct yourself honorably from now on…”

Chapter 41, February 1511
  • The Alhambra, Kingdom of Castile, February 1511

She prepared to exit the chapel, crossing herself as she rose to her feet. She was alone of course, preferring to do her daily prayers after mass ended. As she walked through the doorway, she came upon her friend Maria de Salinas. She frowned as she noticed the look of worry on her friend’s face,”What is it Maria?”
    “It’s Doña Elvira.”
    Catalina sighed, aggravated at the very mention of the woman,”What has she done?”
    “Nothing unusual, but the Infanta Catarina quarrels with her.”
    Shaking her head, she waved the woman away,”I guess I shall have to see what the issue between them is, go and enjoy yourself with your reading Maria, I will do this alone.”
    Sulking as she saw tendrils of the noon sun enter the hall, she marched on to the schoolroom, the very same one where she had pleasant memories of her own tutelage. These were from a much kinder woman than Doña Elvira, she had learned Latin and philosophy under Doña Beatriz Galindo, who, God willing would teach her niece when she was old enough to learn. She had continued to employ old Elvira, this time, as her niece’s governess, simply out of respect to her mother, who had written in her will that the woman was to be provided for. Now, it seemed, she distressed her niece, whether it was something trivial or not remained to be seen, but Catalina hoped it was nothing too serious. As she found herself outside the door of the schoolroom she heard Doña Elvira’s deep, and authoritative voice,”I do not care if your mother said you could go see her dog, that madwoman can wait until you learn French.”
    A little girl’s incredulous voice responded,”But I finished my lessons for today!”
    Enraged by Elvira’s insult towards her sister, Catalina barged into the room, where the large woman stood scowling. She found her niece in a similar state, and stroked the girl’s cheek,”You can go see your mother, I must speak with your duenna.”
    Catarina nodded at this, and left the room, one of her nursemaids in tow. Catalina sneered at Doña Elvira, and brought herself to her full height smacking the old woman hard,”You bitch, how dare you speak of my sister, your better, in such a way.”
    As Elvira fell to the floor, groaning in pain, Catalina kicked the woman’s leg,” Vieja bruja, leave this place and never come back.” (1)
    She then stormed out of the room, trusting that the guards would ensure that Doña Elvira took her things and left, she would not suffer to look at the woman any longer than she had to.

She entered her sister’s chambers, to tell her of the news. As she did so a deep growl cut through the air. Startled, Catalina backed away from the antechamber, but stopped as she heard her sister laugh and scold the dog,”Brisa! You vile little creature, it’s just Catalina.”
    At that, the dog whimpered, and Catalina chuckled as she moved to see her sister. Juana was not the only one in the room, her niece Catarina sat in the bed with her mother, the lurcher curled up around her, as if to protect the girl, while Josefa de Salas, Maria’s mother sat on a stool by the dwindling fire, sewing. Catalina walked forward, hoping to speak with her sister and niece, but the lean white dog growled again. Rolling her eyes Catalina held her hand down for Brisa to sniff, which she did quickly did so, and then gave the woman a begrudging sigh of approval. She laughed as she gently pat the dog on the top of the head,”She is like her grandsire Juana, she loves you as Bruto loved Juan.”
    Juana gave the dog a loving gaze as it turned around and licked her daughter’s face,”Yes she is, her good breeding shows.”
    The dog was indeed well bred, though was only one of Bruto’s two living descendants. Bruto himself had passed in the winter of 1505, just two months after his second royal caretaker, Queen Isabella died, which some claimed to be of heartbreak, but the truth was that the dog was old, having spent eleven years in the care of the royal household. Brisa’s mother, Dulce, Bruto’s only pup, had died in 1508, when she was just four years old, after delivering her only litter. This litter consisted of five puppies, three stillborn, with only Brisa and her brother Lucio (who young Ferdinand took as his own pet) surviving. As such Catalina was hesitant to bring up the unpleasantries concerning her former duenna. Her sister however seemed to sense her wariness, and asked,”What is wrong Catalina? Does something trouble.”
    She shook her head,”It is nothing, I dismissed Doña Elvira. She called you a… madwoman, so I informed her that her services were no longer needed.”
    Juana grinned,”You made the right choice, I never liked her at all, and I’m glad mother made her your duenna instead of mine. Now, let us forget of her, and read something.”
    She turned to her daughter, a wry smile on her face,”Have you heard the tale of El Cid?”
    The little girl shook her head”No I have not… Is it a good one?”
    “Yes, it is, and very entertaining, your aunts and I used to listen to it constantly when we were young.” She looked to Catalina wistfully,”Would you read it for us sister? You were always better with the voices.”
    Catalina simply grabbed the book from the shelf and, opening the first page, began to read.

(1) Vieja bruja means old hag, which is rather appropriate given who Elvira Manuel was….

Chapter 42, March 1511
  • Ipswich, Kingdom of England, March 1511

The chill in the air was biting cold, and Giovanna pulled her shawl tight to her shoulders. Worried, she looked to her stepdaughter Mary, who stood in front of her, gazing upon the ship that would take her away from her home,”Are you warm enough Mary?”
    The teen bobbed her head, rubbing her dark green cloak with her gloved fingers. The other woman walked forward, sensing Mary’s unease. She placed a gentle hand on the girl’s trembling shoulder, and asked,”What troubles you, dear Mary?”
    She turned to her stepmother with downcast eyes and ,”My exile, that I must leave England to be wed, and that my father does not see me off.”
    Giovanna gave her a sympathetic look, her own eyes filled with tears that she struggled to blink away. Finally, she gave Mary a comforting hug,”I am so sorry that you must go… Your father would be here if he could, but he has been confined to his bed as of late, you know he has not left Richmond for months.”
    “Are you saying that my father will die soon?”
    She did not want to upset her stepdaughter, so she gave her a vague answer, wetting her lips before doing so,”It is possible.”
    Silent tears came down Mary’s cheeks, and Giovanna tried to assuage her sadness,”Denmark is not so far from England that we could not see each other occasionally, and Catherine will be closer when she becomes Holy Roman Empress. Remember, even if we are separated by the sea the love we bear for our family can transcend it, and you shall always feel our love.”

A small smile spread across Mary’s lips, and she hugged the other woman, wrapping her arms around her plump figure,”Thank you, Giovanna, you have been so kind to all of us, and I shall never forget the love that you have shown me. I can leave for Denmark happier knowing that you will take good care of my father and siblings.”
    Giovanna nodded her head,”Of course Mary, be safe, I hope that you find love and happiness in Denmark…”
    With that Mary began to stride to the gangplank of the ship that would take her to her new home, and the Queen found herself struggling to keep her composure, for she truly worried for the girl who had barely turned fifteen, who would surely have to deal with rough seas and a foreign court, one that was not guaranteed to be friendly. God, keep her safe, I cannot bear the thought of any harm coming to her.

Last edited:
    Chapter 43, April 1511
  • Richmond Palace, Kingdom of England, April 1511

The servant lad carefully placed the King’s furs on the older man’s shoulders, eyebrows knitted in concentration as he fastened them. The teen moved to fetch Henry’s rings, half a dozen silver ones, a rare display of the man’s jealously guarded wealth. As the servant slipped them over the first Tudor King’s long, bony, fingers, Giovanna, Queen of England beamed at her husband,”I see that you are dressing to impress the Castilian ambassador.”
    “But of course, their Regent, my one-time daughter-in-law Catherine, asks that I support her forces in defending the Pope from that fat bastard Louis… I mean to show her that age has not made me any less sharp and that she’ll have to bargain for my support.”
    Giovanna rose an eyebrow,”Do you not marry Harry to my cousin’s niece? And young Catherine to the Duke of Burgundy? Surely that should be worthy of providing your support, in money if not men.”
    Henry waved the servant away, a slight smirk forming on his lips,”Yes, but my alliance is with their grandfather, Maximillian. For what it’s worth I will send a fleet to the Bay of Biscay to help your uncle should the bitch of Navarre intervene.”
    With that the King wobbled on his feet a little, coughing into his arm. Initially, this did not worry his wife, but when moments passed of this continuing, and spurts of scarlet covered the man’s sleeve she panicked, paling at the harsh sound of his ceaseless coughs. She rushed forward, taking him into her arms, and prepared to move him to his bed. The servant rose an eyebrow,”My Queen, you mustn’t don’t that, surely a man would help the King more easily… Please, let me move him.”
    Giovanna shot a glare at the teen,”I assure you that I am quite capable, I am a stout woman after all.”
    It was true, Giovanna had long been stout, much like her late aunt, the Queen of Castile. Such girth was something that had only increased after three pregnancies, and in times like this, it was a crucial asset. As she lowered her husband into his bed, the old man’s cough subsided a little, and she called out,”Send for Doctor Linacre, he has helped the King with his cough before, so he should be able to this time too!”

The teen dashed from the room, and Giovanna returned her attentions to her husband, who stared at her from the bed, almost strangely, as he grew silent.
    “What is it Henry?”
    The man tried to speak, but all that came out was an eerie wispy sound. Seeing why this was the case, Giovanna reached for a cup of water, and brought it to her husband’s lips, commanding him for what was the first, and last time,”Drink dear.”
    King Henry did so, but only drank a little, as if he could not bear to drink much of the water. Pursing her lips, Giovanna returned the water to the end table, and turned to him again, meaning to speak with him. Instead, it was he who spoke, his voice raspy but comprehensible, as he gazed lovingly at her,”My love… There will be no need for Doctor Linacre… I sense that time has come.” He coughed again, blood spraying out of his mouth onto his torso, continuing soon enough, even as his wife protested that he would not die,”Now now Giovanna. Do not lie to yourself, it will give you no comfort when I am dead and buried. You have been a far better wife than the old fool I am has deserved. The children: the girls and Charles will be under your care; I trust only you to raise them well.”
    The King’s eye’s widened, and he reached out into the thin air, gasping incredulously,”Elizabeth is that you? You and the children will not have to wait much longer. The others are in good hands."
    He coughed once more, and then fell silent. Tears filled Giovanna’s eyes and she grabbed her husband’s hand, shaking it, and shrieked,”Henry! Henry, please don’t leave me.”
    Her husband, the man who she loved more than any other was still, and Giovanna wept, despair washing over her every thought No, no, no, this can’t be! Why must life be so cruel to me, snatching away my happiness just as it begins?

Last edited:
    Chapter 44, May 1511
  • Hof van Savoye, Duchy of Burgundy, May 1511

She ran a nervous hand through her thick, chestnut curls when she heard the news. The King of England, dead? Good god… I am now to wed a King rather than a Prince… Her aunt Margaret, who stood across from her noticed the girl’s apprehension and tried to soothe her,”Do not worry, King Henry has sent a letter that he still intends to marry you after your fourteenth birthday… He will not jilt you.”
    Eleanor of Austria rose an eyebrow, skeptical,”How can you be sure? He is king now and can wed who he wishes. My aunt Catherine is unwed, my cousins Beatrice and Susanna are also yet to be promised…”
    Margaret waved her niece’s concerns away,”All three are either too old or too young… Besides, if the engagement were broken, so too would that of his sister Catherine to your brother, and he benefits more than us from both matches.”
    The girl ran a hand through her hair again, still not appeased by her aunt’s reasoning. Her gloomy thoughts of rejection were soon dashed when she heard the boisterous laugh of her brother. Sauntering into the courtyard, with a smirk on his face was Charles, Duke of Burgundy, the boy who knew he was destined to be Holy Roman Emperor after his grandfather. Carrying a piece of parchment in his hand he grinned at his aunt,”Lady mother, you should have seen Lord Egmond’s face when I startled him!” He laughed again,” He turned white as the moon!”
    Margaret chuckled at this,”And what of your studies? Do they go well?”
    Charles shrugged,”Yes they do, though German is a bore, suitable only for my horse.”
    Eleanor rolled her eyes at this, not even a man grown, and Charles was already quite the character. Still, their aunt seemed to guide him well and ensured that his advisors were loyal to him, not France. Of course, Margaret of Austria for her part had been a surrogate mother to them all, and the younger ones; Charles, Isabella, and Mary even called her ‘mother’. While Eleanor loved and appreciated her aunt, to her she could be no substitute for her birth mother, who, thanks to fate and the machinations of the powerful, was in faraway Castile with Eleanor’s younger siblings. Eleanor kept a close correspondence with her mother though, and always eagerly awaited the letters that she received in return. She had even begun writing to her brother Ferdinand, the King of Castile, and he seemed to be good enough sort; kind and reserved in equal measure. Yet it was another King that filled her thoughts, as she had started her monthly courses several months ago. That King was the athletic, redhaired, Henry, eighth of his name to rule England, and at times she would wake with a start, after having dreams of the young man kissing her alone in his rooms. Though she was confused by this, she endeavored to keep such dreams to herself, even if they did cause her to wonder if he would truly love her, and if she could dare hope for such a thing. Lord, have Henry be a loving and faithful husband to me.

Enjoy an extra chapter, I have been in good spirits today.....

Last edited:
    Chapter 45, July 1511
  • Palau Reial Major, Kingdom of Aragon, July 1511

Catalina gazed at the infant in her arms, who shared it’s mother’s red curls, and called out,”Is she not beautiful Germaine?”
    Her stepmother smiled at this as she set her embroidery aside, yet answered slowly, as if she were troubled,”Yes she is Catalina…”
    The older woman stroked her half-sister’s downy hair,”What is wrong? Does young Blanca not please you? You were much more excited in your letters to me last month.”
    Germaine got up from her chair, walked over, and finally replied as she stood next to her stepdaughter,”I… Do not know. I guess that I am just concerned for her.”
    Catalina rose her brow,”Why would you have any cause to be? She thrives, and she is an Infanta, fortunate to be born into this family.”
    “Are you sure?”
    Bewildered, she asked,”Whatever do you mean?”
    Germaine stared out the window,”Your father will not live forever. He is in good health, but he is still old. When he dies, I will be little more than a decorative widow: Dowager Queen of the man who the people of Castile barely tolerated during your mother’s reign.”
    Catalina shook her head at this, and transferred little Blanca into the arms of the infant’s mother,”Do not worry Germaine. I rule Castile, and should, God forbid, my father pass before my nephew comes of age, I shall govern Aragon in his stead as well. I will ensure that you are always treated with the respect that a Queen is afforded, and my dear sister will grow up in your care, as is only natural.”
    Germaine smiled slightly at this, nodding her head,”Thank you Catalina, you have done me a great kindness.”

Chapter 46, September 1511
  • Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, September 1511

Giovanna heaved a sigh, throwing the handkerchief on the table in frustration Ruined, just like everything else. She got up from her chair, not even bothering to salvage the garment. Tears streaming down her face, Giovanna left the room. Plopping herself upon a daybed by the window in the hallway, she rubbed her eyes furiously. Her lady Antonia rushed out,”Your majesty!”
    The woman waved her dear lady away,”Please, do not concern yourself with me. I wish to be left alone.”
    Dismayed, the younger woman walked back into the chamber and asked for someone else to attend to Giovanna. Hearing the swift footsteps, Giovanna was not surprised to turn and be faced with her mother. The Dowager Queen Joanna placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder,”Do not torment yourself so my child. It has been nearly half a year since your husband has passed, surely you can find some way to enjoy yourself.”
    Giovanna shook her head and sobbed,”I don’t see how I can. My dear Henry, the father of my children is gone.”
    “Yes, but think of what he has done for you, even in death. You have a fine home in the country, away from the intrigues of court, and his obstinate son who ruts with that French whore. Catherine, Joanna, and Charles are all in your care, away from those who may seek to use them for their own goals.”
    “Their father is still dead! How am I to be of any use to them when they do not have him.”
    Her mother narrowed her eyes, speaking in a cutting tone,”By tending to them! I did not know that I raised a weak fool. What do you suppose I did when your father died? Cried all the time?”
    Giovanna sniffled,”I suppose not.”
    “Exactly, now let us go see young Joanna. Lady Pole says that she does well with her French lessons.”
    She hesitated, until her mother beckoned her,”Come now daughter, I am sure that this will help you through your grief.”
    Though still unsure Giovanna got up and nodded, ever the filial daughter,”Of course mother.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 47, October 1511
  • Toledo, Kingdom of Castile, October 1511

The two men glared at each other in the town square. By the neatly trimmed, if unimpressive beards that they sported, and the clean, yet cheap woolen tunics they wore, Catalina could tell that they were middling farmers. Prosperous, if hardly rich, the men were in a dispute over goats of all things. Apparently, Señor Muñoz had been careless with his animals, and they had trampled some crops owned by Señor Garcés. Things had escalated, and the two men had come to blows, quite literally, outside of the local tavern. Señor Muñoz raised his voice, pointing at his rival,”You sir, are a knave, worth less than the manure of my animals.”
    The other man, short yet burly, rushed towards the other, until stopped by one of the guards. Catalina shook her head, and gave the two farmers a stern rebuke,”How dare you conduct yourselves so! I thought I was to dispense justice for men, not small children!”
    Some of the crowd chuckled at this, amused to see the two criticized by their Regent.
    She continued,”I do have a solution for your dispute though. The two of you shall build a fence separating your farmsteads.”
    Señor Garcés nodded, yet spoke up nonetheless,”Milady, perhaps he should build it all himself, it is his animals that ruined my crops.”
    Catalina shook her head,”No he shall not. Were you calm during these proceedings I may have passed such judgment, but alas you were not… In any case, the both of you are to build the fence, and live in peace or your lands will be taken by the crown.”
    The two men bowed their heads, apparently accepting the compromise.
    As the first pair left, another man was roughly dragged forward by the guards. This one was younger than the other two, perhaps five years her junior. He had a black eye, a bald head and a small trail of stubble on his chin. As the young man sprawled to the ground, his limbs in chains, Catalina realized this was likely more serious than the cases she had already dealt with today. The herald announced,”Don Mateo Sánchez was found breaking into a convent. He then strangled a young novice before the Santa Hermandad arrested him.”
    The woman pursed her lips, before looking upon the accused,”Have you anything to say for yourself?”
    That he had even answered her was a shock and the words that he uttered added to it,”Yes actually… My uncle is a Bishop, and he would be most displeased to find that I was harshly treated. So, I ask that you be lenient.”
    Catalina’s nostrils flared in anger, and she shouted at the prisoner,”You presume to make demands of me? I who rule in the name of his most sovereign majesty, my nephew? No! You will be hung by the neck until dead, and should your uncle voice any complaints, he shall by investigated the Holy Office of the Inquisition.”
    As the man was dragged away, protesting, Catalina mused, To enforce God’s law is a heavy burden, but one I that I must do so with zeal to ensure this land remains in good order.

Chapter 48, November 1511
  • Richmond Palace, Kingdom of England, November 1511

The air was thick with the smell of incense, and the chapel was warm. Giovanna did not know how to feel as she gazed upon the sight before her. The Archbishop of Canterbury brought the infant forward, washing him over with the holy water. Naturally, the babe cried a little at this yet quieted himself soon enough. The chamberlain called, his voice booming,”This newborn is the natural son of good King Henry, eighth of his name to rule England. As such, his most august majesty grants him the name; John Fitzroy and creates him Duke of Richmond.”
    She smiled slightly at this, while she did not exactly approve of her stepson siring an illegitimate child with Jane Popincourt, she did feel touched that he would name his eldest son after her dead boy, even if little Lord Fitzroy was a bastard. What warmed her heart, even more, was when the baby was passed to his aunt, and godmother, Catherine. The girl of nine steadily held her nephew, and Giovanna beamed with pride as she looked on. The ceremony continued with the usual formalities, yet, like most good things in life, did not seem to last very long.

Later that night, as Giovanna was relaxing in her chambers; cup of wine in one hand and a piece of torrone in the other, her stepson, the King entered the room. Setting her drink down, she bowed her head respectfully,”Your majesty.”
    Henry smiled in response,”Madam… I have news from Mary in Denmark.”
    Giovanna grinned, and chattered out some questions,”Really? What is it? Does she fare well?”
    The young man chuckled softly,”Of course she does, apparently she managed to convince King Christian to set aside his mistress. She writes that she is already pregnant and that her husband dotes on her.”
    The Dowager Queen nodded,”That is well, I hope that she continues to thrive in Denmark.”
    “I am sure she will… The Archduchess Eleanor will arrive in November of the coming year, I was wondering if you would help her adjust when she takes her place as Queen?”
    “Of course, I can… I was wondering, has any Prince asked for Joanna’s hand?”
    Henry shook his head,”No one that is suitable. The Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian sent envoys to ask if perhaps she could be his fourth wife. I politely turned down his offer; we already have an alliance with him, and he is far too old to be her husband.”
    Giovanna was grateful that her stepson turned down the Emperor’s offer,”Thank you for sparing her from that fate Henry, many other kings would trade their sister’s happiness to double down on an alliance.”
    “But of course, I care, too much for your happiness, as well as Joanna’s, to marry her off to some old lecher.”

Chapter 49, December 1511
  • Seville, Kingdom of Castile, December 1511

The cold air blew against her wimple, and Catalina smoothed it against her head, her fingers chilled as she did so. She was not alone out here, on the road leading to the Alcázar. Much of the court was there, including her sister Juana, as well as her nephew the King. One prominent absence was that of Maria de Salinas, who was not there for good reason, as she was in the middling months of her second pregnancy. Still, she at least had her sister with her, who grew impatient,”Is he coming here or not?”
    Catalina rolled her eyes,”We have scarcely been waiting for five minutes, I am sure it will not be that long.”
    Juana sighed,”We’ll see.”
    They all stood, and stood, for so long that Catalina’s feet began to ache, and she nearly grew to share Juana’s doubts. That was, until they heard the pounding of the drums. The low, pounding sound was soon accompanied by a sight, a host of men, with a particularly aged man at its head. Catalina gazed upon him after he closed the distance and clambered off his mount, and called out,” Capitán de Córdoba! I trust you have news of our campaign against the Moor?”
    The man cleared his throat and bowed though the depth of which was limited by both age and the rigid suit of armor that he wore.
    Despite his discomfort, de Córdoba smiled,”Yes I do milady… We have managed to fortify the cities of Algiers, Tripoli and Béjaïa, with able garrisons put in place to hold them. In addition, we have also taken Honaine, now the Infidel has few ports from which to harry our shores.”
    Catalina couldn’t help grinning at this, she was truly delighted,”You have once more proved yourself worthy of the trust that my parents and I have placed in you, Don Gonzalo. I trust that God himself will also award you for your heroic deeds.”
    De Córdoba shrugged, and turned his head to the left, looking at his soldiers,”I thank you Lady Regent, but it is the courageous men of Castile who most deserve your praise.”
    “Then that is what I will do milord.” She looked back at her steward,”Don Martin, fetch me my coin purse.”
    If her friend’s husband seemed nonplussed by the request, he hid it well and did as requested, transferring the large pouch into her hands. Catalina then made her way through the host of soldiers, which numbered in the dozens, pressing a coin into each man’s hands, calling every one of them a “Brave soldier of Christ” as she did so.

Chapter 50, March 1512
  • Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, March 1512

The little girl in front of her giggled as she ran,”You can’t catch me mama!”
    Giovanna joined in the merriment as she too ran, lifting up her skirts,”You think so Joanna? I think I shall prove you wrong.”
    She soon caught up with her daughter, as she quickened her pace, and tickled her as she took young Joanna into her arms. The restless Joanna wiggled in her arms, and Giovanna set her daughter back onto the grass with a smile. The two walked companionably, for the Dowager Queen’s ladies were a decent distance behind them, close enough to attend to their needs, but far enough away as to intrude on them. “What are we going to do now mama?”
    The gravel of the path crunched beneath her shoes as she answered her daughter,”We are going to see Catherine and Charles, they have likely finished with their lessons.”
    Little Joanna nodded, a lock of her brown hair dangling down to her cheek. Mother and daughter entered the red-bricked building, making their way in just before the servants would start their mad rush to start dinner. Soon enough they joined the rest of their little family, as Giovanna swung the door to her chambers open. There she found her mother sitting, showing Charles and Catherine her book of hours, pointing at the rich illustrations within. The young Duke of Somerset squirmed off of his grandmother’s lap and ran towards his mother, and exclaimed,”Mama!”
    Giovanna smiled warmly as her son hugged her leg, and looked to see her mother chuckling, at this while Catherine remained more restrained, turning a page of her step grandmother’s book. Joanna for her part joined her sisters and grandmother, gawking at the book of hours. Giovanna stroked her son’s forehead, feeling truly happy for the first time in nearly a year. This reverie soon ended with a polite rap on the door.

Her friend Elizabeth Howard came through said door, with an expression that betrayed only the slightest hint of agitation.
    “What is it Elizabeth? Is everything well?” She asked
    The other woman replied,”Pray, come with me, I have something to tell you.”
    Giovanna bent down to meet her son’s nervous gaze,”I am sure everything is fine Charles, go join your sisters, I will be back soon. The boy did not seem entirely convinced but turned and went to them anyways. With that, Giovanna and Elizabeth exited the room into the hall, and the Dowager Queen asked a series of anxious questions,”What is it? Is Henry sick? Or is it young George?”
    She took a deep breath and added,”Oh God please tell me nothing has happened to them!”
    Elizabeth sighed,”No they are both well, but I still bring ill tidings nonetheless. The Queen of Denmark brought a stillborn son into the world last month.”
    Giovanna gasped,”Oh no, poor Mary. Is she in good health?”
    “Yes, she is, but she is deeply saddened.”
    “Then I must write to her tonight… I don’t want the children told, at least not for a few days, I would not have them distressed by this until I can also comfort them.”
    The Lady Elizabeth embraced her friend,”Of course madam. I am sorry that this has happened, you already have had much to deal with.”
    Giovanna shook her head,”It is not I who you should be sorry for, though I always appreciate the comfort you give me.”
    The woman then turned back to the door, smiling and putting on a show of being untroubled, which like all else she did, was for the sake of her children.

Chapter 51, June 1512
  • Alcázar of Segovia, Kingdom of Castile, June 1512
    “Come now, Ferdinand.”
    The boy King obeyed his aunt silently, and when she motioned for him to sit at her desk he did so. Catalina leafed through a pile of letters, and soon found the one she was searching for. Young Ferdinand sat, his brow ever so slightly arched,”What is it, Auntie Catalina?”
    She smiled as she unfolded the parchment, explaining,”Your cousin Isabella wrote to us, she says that her mother gave birth to yet another child, a son, the Infante Henrique.”
    Her nephew looked up at her, evidently curious,”That is good, does she write of anything else?”
    Catalina nodded her head,”Yes she does… The Infanta wishes to meet you before you are wed.”
    The boy blushed a little,”Really? Would Isabella’s parents be in favor of such a thing?”
    “They are, as Portugal is not so far away that we could not visit. Furthermore, Manuel and Maria think it a good idea for the two of you to be acquainted.”
    “That sounds excellent, when will we leave for Portugal?”
    “Within the next month or two. Your mother and sister shall also accompany us, for Catarina will meet Prince João, as well.”
    Ferdinand beamed at this, pleased to hear of such plans. Catalina then chuckled and ruffled her nephew’s hair,”Now go and see La Latina, Doña Beatriz would be cross with me if I delayed you from your Latin lessons.”
    The grinning boy then left the room, and Catalina felt most pleased that she had made him happy, for she too looked forward to their impending departure for Portugal. She smirked to herself, I would not be surprised if Maria found herself with child again in the next few months.

Chapter 52, July 1512
  • Grimsthorpe Castle, Kingdom of England, July 1512

The sound of a woman’s shriek pierced the air, and Giovanna gasped as she looked at her friend. Antonia bore down, her skin and hair slick with sweat, crying out as she pushed once more. “You can do it, Antonia, there isn’t much longer.”
    The other woman stopped for a moment, nodding,”Yes, I can do this, I am having this baby and nothing will stop me!”
    She was determined in this for a very good reason; she had been pregnant before during the years of her marriage to the Baron, but sadly had lost both of her unborn children. Yet the young woman had carried herself with dignity, never complaining of her sorrows. Antonia continued her efforts in the next hour, and soon enough they were all rewarded with the sound of an infant’s shrill cries. After the child was cleaned and swaddled, Giovanna held it in her arms, calming the baby by rocking it.
    Antonia looked to her friend,”What is it? A boy or a girl?”
    Giovanna smiled as she strode towards her friend,”You have a daughter Antonia, a beautiful little girl.”
    She then bent down, transferring the baby into Antonia’s arms,”Here she is my friend, I shall go fetch your husband.”
    The other woman gave no reply, instead beaming at the child in her arms.

Giovanna then left the room, a wry smile on her face, as she looked forward to seeing the joy that William Willoughby would feel when she told him. The Dowager Queen soon came upon the Baron in one of the castle’s dining rooms. He sat in a chair, rapping his fingers against the table,”Is she well?”
    “Yes, I think she will be. The two of you have a little girl.”
    The man rose to his feet quickly relieved,”Thank God.”
    They made their way through the hallway, back to the room where Antonia had given birth. An ashen-faced midwife walked out of the door, bowing her head,”Your Majesty, milord…”
    “What is it, Beatrice? Is Antonia alright?”
    The young woman lowered her eyes,”I… The Baroness still bleeds… We tried everything and it won’t stop.” Beatrice paused, crying into her palms,”I am so sorry.”
    William took a shaky breath,”You and the other women did what you could, this is not your fault.”
    The pair entered the room, dreading what they were to find. As she laid her eyes upon her friend, it was indeed a horrific sight; a large circle of blood covered the bottom portion of the bed, while Antonia laid there, eyes glazed over and deathly pale. The Baron slowly walked forward, kneeling and holding his wife in his arms,”My love, you will live, I promise you that… All you need do is rest and recover your strength.”
    Antonia replied calmly, almost serene,”Do not lie to yourself, William. You and I both know that I am dying… Mourn me, but not too much.” She looked to see the wetnurse exit the room, with the baby, held to her bosom,”Little Agnes will need a mother, and you another wife to love you.”
    The man wept, kissing his wife’s hand,”No…. I can never marry another woman, no one could hope to replace you.”
    She stroked her husband’s fair hair,”You do not wish to think of it now, so I will not make you. But in time I trust that you will do what is right for our daughter. Go now and meet her my love.”
    William did not look as if he wanted to leave his wife’s side, but did so anyway, kissing her on the forehead before leaving the room. As the door was closed, Antonia cleared her throat,”My friend, thank you for arranging my marriage, even though I die, I know I am loved by a man, unlike my poor mother.”
    Giovanna blinked away her tears“What do you mean Antonia?”
    “My mother was a mere mistress to my father, and after I was born, he married her to some horrid old man. When she died last year, I felt such sadness, I was her only child, and my letters could only do so much to comfort her. That is why I named my daughter after her, for my dear mother Inés.” Antonia paused for a moment until continuing,”I have just one thing to ask of you.”
    “Anything, Antonia.”
    “Care for my daughter, see to that she marries well, and to a good, godly man.”
    Giovanna hugged her friend gently as she died in her arms, hot tears streaming down her cheeks,”Of course I will querida amiga, I promise you that she will want for nothing.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 53, August 1512
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, August 1512

The drawing-room was thankfully cool, for the stone interior of the palace helped keep the brutal summer heat out. Catalina raised her brow slightly as set eyes upon her sister Maria, whose svelte waist was unusually thick,”I see that you are with child again sister.”
    Maria chuckled at this, even letting out a hoarse snort,”Yes I am Catalina, it would seem that God blesses Manuel and I once more.”
    Catalina clutched her rosary, pressing her lips to the cool silver cross,”Yes, the Lord has blessed all of us with prosperity in these past years.”
    They commenced with the usual banter, with the youngest daughters of Ferdinand and Isabella discussing matters of faith, while Juana desperately tried to change the subject. She finally succeeded with a flick of her head,”I was under the impression that we came here so our children can meet? Or do you wish to do so tomorrow instead?”
    The Queen of Portugal nodded,”Oh right…” She then turned towards the door,”You may come in now Isabella.”
    The door at the opposite side of the room opened, as Elvira de Mendoza, one of Maria’s ladies, led the Infanta Isabella into the room. The nine-year-old wore a velvet white-gold dress as well as a beautiful necklace inlaid with large topazes. She curtseyed gracefully, delicately holding the folds of her dress,”It is excellent to see you again my aunt’s.” She turned her gaze towards her cousin Ferdinand,”And I am very pleased to meet you my Lord King.”
    The King of Castile blushed at this, and struggled to respond coherently mumbling,”I…”
    A smile came across Maria’s face”There is no need to be so unnerved dear nephew, my daughter is a girl, not some beast.”
    Young Ferdinand bowed his head, his flush receding,”I am pleased to meet your acquaintance my infanta, would you like to play some music later?”
    Isabella smiled broadly,”Of course I would, I hear that you play the vihuela well.”
    Catalina beamed with pride as she looked on,”I think they will be well suited dear sisters.”
    Juana and Maria enthusiastically agreed with her, and Catalina had hoped that the meeting between João and Catarina would go as well.

Said meeting certainly did not go as well as the first. While the two seemed friendly enough, young Catarina’s attention soon drifted, and eventually, she found herself playing with her betrothed’s younger sister Beatriz instead. This led Maria to place a comforting hand on her eldest son’s shoulder, as he was rather sullen by the turn of events”Do not distress yourself so João, she will mature in time, and will prove to be a fine wife.”
    While clearly not convinced, the Prince did not argue,“If you say so, mother.”
    Catalina herself interjected,”Yes I promise that she will be, she is after all your mother’s niece, and your father has nothing but good things to say about her.”

PS: My most sincere apologies that this is a day late, but I was busy over the weekend and struggled to think of a good way to write this out.

Last edited:
    Chapter 54, November 1512
  • Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, November 1512

Sun shone through the windows of the chapel, while the men and women within murmured, the sound of trumpets blaring as an entourage made its entrance. That entourage was that of the girl who would be Queen of England, while her predecessor looked on. Giovanna fixed her gaze upon young Eleanor, who wore a satin dress of cream, while her veil was silk of the same color. The girl to her left whispered,”What do you think of her mother?”
    She turned to Catherine, feeling a sudden sadness in having to leave the younger children behind with her mother,”She’s rich and young, pretty enough too from what I can see. I hope that your brother does not stray from her.”

Catherine pursed her lips,”I should think so, did he not set aside the Frenchwoman?”
    Giovanna nodded,”Yes, Mistress Popincourt has been engaged to William Willoughby, and they will wed in August, a fine match for the both of them. So yes, without Jane I think that Henry and Eleanor may be happy with another.”

“Good, I should hope so.”

Giovanna returned to looking at the teen girl as she said the vows alongside Henry and mused, This is the girl that is to be Queen of England, I hope that she is not too frightened by the prospect.

Eleanor of Austria sat in her chair, flanked by her ladies. Her wedding feast had concluded over an hour ago, and she had bathed, changing into her nightclothes. Her chief lady, Johanne, a Dutchwoman from Rotterdam brushed her chestnut curls. As she continued doing so Eleanor asked,”What do you think of King Henry Lady Johanne?”
    The older blonde woman suppressed a chuckle,”Well, I’ve seldom seen a man as handsome as he… Charming too my dear, I think that you can do very well for yourself as Queen of this land.”

Eleanor smirked to herself as she heard this, for she had the exact same impression as her lady. Soon enough Johanne had finished brushing Eleanor’s hair, and one of her German ladies, Helga, fetched the young Queen a cup of wine. Eleanor sipped the wine, frowning,”This is not very good, I swear the only reason why the feast was any good is that it did not have any English food.”

Johanne took the cup away, and replaced it with a goblet of water, and as she took it into her hands Eleanor asked,”Tell me Johanne, you have been married twice so you must know… Does it hurt when a man first takes you to his bed?”
    The other woman frowned,”Yes, but if he is gentle it should not hurt too badly.”

Eleanor nodded at this,”Good, I trust that he should know what he is doing.”

She looked to Johanne, prodding her for information,”Tell me, have you seen him look at other women today, in ways that he should not?”
    Johanne shook her head,”No I have not milady, he seemed to have eyes for you alone tonight.”

“That is well, thank you.”

Eleanor drank some of her water, which was, fortunately, better than the wine,”May I tell you something frank Johanne?”
    “Of course my Queen.”

She smiled slightly,”This may sound foolish, but, I think that I love King Henry, even though we have just met. He made me laugh so many times during the feast, and he flatters me so, I can think of no better pastime than being his wife!”

Johanne grinned at this,”Oh that is not foolish at all. I fell in love with my husband’s quickly as well and loved them until the day that God took them from this world; Korneel after just a year of marriage in the winter of 1490, while I was married to Lars for nearly twenty years, until as you know, he died two autumns ago. What you feel is natural, and I am happy to see that you love the King of England.”

As Eleanor rose to her feet, there was a knock on the door, and an announcement from one of the King’s heralds’ outside the room,”His majesty, King Henry.”

The man entered, this time without the cap that he usually wore, and his fiery red hair gleamed in the candlelight. He cleared his throat,”Milady, I have come to see that we are wed in the eyes of God and man alike.”

The young woman could not help but shiver at the thought and waved her ladies away. Once they were alone, the two met halfway across the room, their lips meeting in a deep kiss. After breaking off for a moment Eleanor looked at him, tilting her head back, and smiled coquettishly,”Then let us be wed.”

Henry swept her up off her feet with surprising speed, and kissed her as he set her upon the bed, tugging at her nightclothes,”I promise you that I will be gentle my dear.”
    Eleanor giggled at this, and kissed him back, running her hands across his back, and thought, I wish that all women could experience such love.

Last edited:
    Casting Choices for Henry VIII, The Second Tudor King of England (c.2014) (Season 1, post 1)
  • Henry VIII, The Second Tudor King of England (c.2014)
    Ruairi O'Connor as Henry VIII
    The Spanish Princess Recap: Episode 6 –

Rose Williams as Eleanor of Austria
    Sanditon' Star Rose Williams Steals the Show in 'Medici' Season 3 | Decider

Nikki Blonsky as Giovanna of Naples
    The Real Reason Nikki Blonsky Stopped Acting

Sai Bennet as Mary Tudor, Queen of Denmark
    True Story Of Mary Tudor's Secret Wedding In The Spanish Princess ⋆ News:  Art, Travel, Design, Technology

Last edited: