"you need time to mature. I would not allow it. King Henry will have to wait anyways" =- well Henry does not like waiting, but in this case that is the wise decision.

Good luck Maria.
Luckily canon law, and the age of his son, stand in his way. I hope that I can present the future dynamics in an interesting way, but we'll see!

Oh dear, little Maria is becoming a woman. Good thing that Catherine is putting her foot down. There shall never be another Maggie Beaufort situation. Also interesting to read what little Maria looks like!

Oh dear, little Maria is becoming a woman. Good thing that Catherine is putting her foot down. There shall never be another Maggie Beaufort situation. Also interesting to read what little Maria looks like!
Catalina sure is, and I think she learned from her own mother to avoid such situations, it's not for nothing that her sister Juana did not marry Phillip until she was seventeen after all. Of course, Henry probably wants to avoid that too, but she isn't quite aware, so she's making it clear it won't happen to Maria. Thank you, I hope it makes sense when I decide who to cast for her, and I tried to make her an interesting mix of Catalina and Manuel....

Catalina sure is, and I think she learned from her own mother to avoid such situations, it's not for nothing that her sister Juana did not marry Phillip until she was seventeen after all. Of course, Henry probably wants to avoid that too, but she isn't quite aware, so she's making it clear it won't happen to Maria. Thank you, I hope it makes sense when I decide who to cast for her, and I tried to make her an interesting mix of Catalina and Manuel....
The only ones among Ferdinand and Isabella’s children to have long engagements were Catalina and Isabella: Isabella was engaged to a boy five years younger than her while Catalina was some months older than her husband-to-be (and her parents would not sent her in England before Henry VII fulfilled their requests)

The only ones among Ferdinand and Isabella’s children to have long engagements were Catalina and Isabella: Isabella was engaged to a boy five years younger than her while Catalina was some months older than her husband-to-be (and her parents would not sent her in England before Henry VII fulfilled their requests)
Oh yes that's true, though there does seem to be something of an aversion to marrying off their daughters at a very young age, though the geopolitics of the time was probably a bigger influence.

Ludlow Castle, July 1502

Catalina sat in bed in her nightclothes, her eyes rimmed with red,”It wasn’t supposed to be like this, Mi hija.”
She looked at the tiny mound on top of a small table, covered with a white sheet out of respect, and nearly started crying all over again. She stopped herself after the first tear streamed down her cheek, thinking of what her father would say, he would remind her not to fall to despair, to take care of herself so that she could move on from this.”At least you will have your father to look after you, mi chiquita.”
Indeed, her husband, her sweet Arthur, had passed a little over two months ago, on May 2nd, after he seemed to recover from the sweat for just a couple weeks, it struck him again, and took his life. Still, it was during the second week of April, as he seemed to feel better that they had done what they had been putting off for so long. Arthur had laid with her with the desperation of a man who had narrowly avoided death once, and knew it could come again, and in those days they had grown to love each other. As one of her ladies, Maria de Salinas offered her a cup of wine, she took it with a weak smile, and took a small sip of it,”I will not let this be the end of me, I will live, return to my parents, and do whatever they require of me.”
It was not guaranteed, but Catalina thought it most likely, after all, she had consummated her marriage with Arthur, and was six years Henry, Duke of York’s senior,”Perhaps it is for the best that I leave, there are too many painful memories here.”
Of course, she also knew that her staying would be a reminder of the Prince of Wales's death, and her failure to produce a living child, all while her one-time mother-in-law, Elizabeth of York was with child for the eighth time, for Arthur’s first bout of the sweat had caused the King and Queen to desperately try to have another child, one that would have been just a month older than Catalina’s dead babe (1). Another lady brought a small bowl of porridge to Catalina, urging her to eat, and with some reluctance she did, taking methodical spoonfuls into her mouth every minute or so, “She is right, if I wish to survive I must take care of myself, for that is the only thing I have left in this Kingdom.”

(1) Catalina conceives a daughter with Arthur but suffers a miscarriage
Poor poor Catherine

Chapter 185, May 1534
Cotehele House, Kingdom of England, May 1534

Cornwall was hardly exciting, but the nature of the royal progress dictated that it be one of the first regions that they had set out for before they could be finished with the south. They were just ready to swing north, towards the Midlands, when Eleanor had felt some pangs of labor. They had turned out to be false, but the midwives had suggested that she stay at Cotehele, for her time would soon come. The women, unlike men of medicine, were usually right about such things, so the thirty-five-year-old was sure to take their counsel.

Sir Richard Edgcumbe had lent the Queen’s household use of a suite of rooms to use, and the past two weeks had gone as well as they could. The Edgcumbe’s were very pleasant, if somewhat rustic hosts. To Eleanor’s relief, Lady Elizabeth Arundell, though rather comely, was also prudish, and pious. She was no threat, and so the past week had gone decently enough.

Henry had been elsewhere that morning, at a joust being held in Plymouth, and had yet to return, but it would be fine, she was sure. The day had been unremarkable, other than dealing with the inconveniences of her pregnancy, the Queen of England had relaxed, and in particular had enjoyed some roasted pork, which had been slathered in mustard that her brother had sent her. It took her mind off of things and gave her some compensation for her condition.

She was bigger than she ever had been before. She felt like a cow, her belly so big at that moment, and she hated it. But that was the price of bearing twins, or so Johanne had told her. It would be over within a few days, which gave Eleanor great relief. She hated pregnancies at the best of the times, they were a necessary evil, and she did not shy away from saying so to her attendants.

This time it was Martijna to whom she vented her troubles. Doortje was a bit of a ditz (to Eleanor) and relegated to sewing for the Queen, while Jacoliene was in confinement in London, and Caroljin was just too damn cheerful. Martijna too did not enjoy pregnancies, so having an ear that truly understood helped.

Eleanor plopped down on the bed, as Martijna slid the blankets back over the woman,“I tell you plainly, I am glad that soon I will be too old to have more children. One or two more after this is all I can take.”

Her lady looked down at her, and shrugged her shoulders,”Once you are forty it will be less likely, Your Majesty. That is my experience.”

Well yes Martijna, but your husband is so old that he can no longer bed you, unlike mine.

Rather than making such a biting comment, Eleanor replied in a neutral tone,”Maybe I too will be so lucky…”

With that, Eleanor endeavored to relax, perhaps even take a short nap. The household was in order, with the newest addition, Catherine Howard being well-adjusted. Oh, Henry had been surprised when she asked that the Duke of Norfolk’s niece join her household, how she felt about the Howards was plainly obvious to him. What was not obvious to him was that Eleanor had designs of sorts on the girl. If young Catherine Howard could be raised in the Queen’s household, she could be made loyal to her, and ensure that she wouldn’t serve the interests of her broader family. The Dowager Duchess of Norfolk did not seem too concerned that Catherine was to be sent to the Queen’s household, and it would be foolish to refuse. Besides, Eleanor hoped to marry her to someone important once she was of age, a good match that would satisfy the girl and provide her with another ally.

It was not long after that that Catherine, also known as Kitty, came in the chambers, along with Caroljin, together they had delivered the Queen’s correspondence to the couriers.

Kitty’s eyes were wide, apparently she still couldn’t believe she was serving the Queen, but Caroljin looked… different. The woman’s face was flushed, and her face was wet.

Caroljin trembeled, “I… I’m so sorry…”

The Queen’s Obersthofmeisterin took the other woman by the shoulders, all but shaking her,“Just tell us what has happened daughter, I assure you that you won’t be blamed.”

Caroljin choked down some sobs, and just a few words,”His… Majesty… he’s been hurt… at the joust.”

Johanne was ashen, even if the old woman otherwise kept her composure. She turned to her employer, voice trailing out in an explanation,”They met with one of the couriers. His Majesty…”

“He what?!” Eleanor demanded. She had not quite heard all of what Caroljin had said, and as she and Catherine Howard were busy being comforted by Doortje, neither would be of any use.

Johanne tried again, and this time was not cut off,”His Majesty has been injured at the tourney, but I am sure he lives. We would know if it were worse.”

Would we? Eleanor thought to herself. Eleanor thought her husband had to be alive, but she was skeptical. What if he died and they were being deceived? There was little danger of her son being displaced, for he was the rightful heir but she feared being outmaneuvered, there were those who wouldn’t want her as his Regent, even if her husband made it clear that she’d serve as such. The thought of Henry dying was bad enough, but the idea of a government hostile to her would make matters worse.

The Queen of England finished thinking, crafting plans,”Johanne, I want a rider sent to Woking, to keep an eye on the Prince and another to Eltham, to report on younger my children. Also I need ink for a letter to Wolsey, if the worst happens I will write to him, so that he knows before the others.”

The old woman curseyed,“Of course, Your Majesty.”

The waiting was unbearable, and two hours passed without anything. No news, no arrivals, nothing. Laying out her writing materials had taken her mind off of it, as did some gossip that Doortje had shared. It was nothing serious, stupid little things, about Plymouth and her people, but it was something to pass the time at least.

When a group of about two dozen riders had arrived outside the house, Eleanor of Austria knew that the matter would be put to rest, one way or another. One looked especially familiar, and Eleanor believed that it was her husband. True to her hunch, her husband was among them, as the herald and later the presence of the King himself made clear.

He stepped past the entrance, she noted that a bandage covered the man’s right shoulder, but otherwise seemed fine.

“My Queen!” he exhaled, pleased to see her.

The woman got up as fast as she could in her condition, and threw her arms around Henry,”Henry, I thought the worst had happened… I heard...”

He kissed her on the forehead, and gently held her,“What is it, Eleanor? I am fine. Look, I am standing here, and my heart is still beating, beating for you.”

“I know, but you were still hurt. You are lucky it was only your shoulder. Please don’t do this again… Please Henry. For the sake of our children. Our children…”

It was then that Eleanor pointed to her stomach, and Henry flicked his head in understanding.

“You can go hunting, you can do almost everything you’ve done before. Just not jousting, it is too dangerous. Please wait until the Prince is of age, and for my sake be careful.”

The King of England hesitated, breathing heavily.

“Henry please…”

It was this second that ultimately convinced Henry, who sighed,”If it will calm you, then yes, I can do things other than jousting. I can give that up for you and the children. I love you, Eleanor.”

Eleanor held him a little closer, happy to have her husband back,”You made the right choice, love. I know this is what will be best for us, the realm, and our children. You may even be able to see the twins come of age…”

It was not surprising to Eleanor, that four days later, she went into labor. It was a difficult birth, not as long as her first, but more so than any since.

The first child, a girl, the midwives found, came easily, but not the second.

In fact, it was some three hours after the arrival of the elder, that the younger twin arrived. But there was silence, the dark purple baby was not breathing.

“It is dead, isn’t it?” Eleanor asked.

Her midwife Susanna affirmed her suspicions,“Yes, Your Majesty. I am sorry, the boy was stillborn.”

Her heart sank,”Take it. Bury it with the others, that is all.”

It was then that one of the younger midwives brought over Eleanor’s daughter, for her to hold.

Eleanor nodded and took the child into her arms. The girl’s coos, and curious eyes reminded the Queen that there was more to that day than death,“Cecily. It is a good name. My daughter, the Princess Cecily. She’ll be a good girl, though I can already tell she’ll be different from her sisters. Carojljin, send for His Majesty, he’ll want to see the child who he gave up jousting for.”

Last edited:
Nice location to give birth.

Interesting Howard plans there.

Eleanor got Henry to give up jousting? Good for you.

Shame about the boy. Maybe they spoke too soon and he lives? Would be nice to have another lad around? Please?

Nice chapter.

Welcome, Cecily of Cotehele! A shame that your brother didn’t make it though…

Kitty Howard joining court is interesting! I wonder what that will bring down the line. Maybe a mistress to one of Eleanor’s sons? Maybe even a scandalous marriage to one of them? ;) Hopefully she’ll have a happy life. I don’t think she’ll be mistress to Henry sr. though. Won’t he be done with mistresses soon?

Impressive that Eleanor got Henry to listen. Their marriage must be fairly strong still. Hopefully he won’t renege on the promise now that Eleanor “only” had a surviving daughter.

For anyone curious about Henry and Eleanor’s children who lived past birth:
Henry, Duke of Cornwall (b. and d. 1514)
Mary (b. 1516) m. James V of Scotland (b. 1512)
Elizabeth (1517-1518)
Henry, Prince of Wales (b. 1521) bet. Maria of Portugal (b. 1520)
Edward, Duke of York (b. 1523) bet. Catherine of Denmark (b. after 1526)
Margaret (b. 1527) bet. Philip of Austria (b. 1521)
Joan (b. 1528)
Philip, Duke of Kendall (b. 1531)
Cecily (b. 1533)

It’s safe to say that the succession is in a much better place than otl!

Nice location to give birth.

Interesting Howard plans there.

Eleanor got Henry to give up jousting? Good for you.

Shame about the boy. Maybe they spoke too soon and he lives? Would be nice to have another lad around? Please?

Nice chapter.
Oh yeah I thought I'd mix things up, marks the final birth as rather unique. Eleanor definitely knows how to get what she wants, and Henry is willing to be a bit more careful for her sake.

Sadly the boy was definitely born dead, which is a shame but Henry and Eleanor at least have three other sons.

Thank you so much, I'm very happy that you liked it!

Welcome, Cecily of Cotehele! A shame that your brother didn’t make it though…

Kitty Howard joining court is interesting! I wonder what that will bring down the line. Maybe a mistress to one of Eleanor’s sons? Maybe even a scandalous marriage to one of them? ;) Hopefully she’ll have a happy life. I don’t think she’ll be mistress to Henry sr. though. Won’t he be done with mistresses soon?

Impressive that Eleanor got Henry to listen. Their marriage must be fairly strong still. Hopefully he won’t renege on the promise now that Eleanor “only” had a surviving daughter.

For anyone curious about Henry and Eleanor’s children who lived past birth:
Henry, Duke of Cornwall (b. and d. 1514)
Mary (b. 1516) m. James V of Scotland (b. 1512)
Elizabeth (1517-1518)
Henry, Prince of Wales (b. 1521) bet. Maria of Portugal (b. 1520)
Edward, Duke of York (b. 1523) bet. Catherine of Denmark (b. after 1526)
Margaret (b. 1527) bet. Philip of Austria (b. 1521)
Joan (b. 1528)
Philip, Duke of Kendall (b. 1531)
Cecily (b. 1533)

It’s safe to say that the succession is in a much better place than otl!
Cecily is definitely off to an interesting start to her life, she's going to be very much cared for by her parents, at the very least, with her birth being marred by death.

Oh Kitty will certainly have a longer life, and hopefully being brought up by someone more... stern, will ensure that she doesn't become a victim to any men or marry anyone unsuitable, though Eleanor will try to steer her sons away from her..

The marriage is definitely still strong, they've both matured and realized that they do really love each other, even if at times they work against one another, and Henry is more than willing to give something up for the woman who have him three living sons.

Thank you that'll be very helpful to people, and the succession is certainly secure!!!

Cecily is definitely off to an interesting start to her life, she's going to be very much cared for by her parents, at the very least, with her birth being marred by death.
Indeed! Especially if she, as you say, is the final child. Then she'll always be the baby in the family. I wouldn't be against a final chld for them, but seven surviving kids is certainly not a bad track record! :)
Oh Kitty will certainly have a longer life, and hopefully being brought up by someone more... stern, will ensure that she doesn't become a victim to any men or marry anyone unsuitable, though Eleanor will try to steer her sons away from her..
Her having a better upbringing will certainly do wonders I'd imagine. As to Eleanor's sons, Edward is very much the right age for a scandalous match with Kitty ;)
Thank you that'll be very helpful to people, and the succession is certainly secure!!!
You're welcome! :) I figured, I'd throw it on here, since it's been a while since we've had a family tree for them. We might need a big tree for the children of Henry VII again at some point though. The last one was in 1526