Thousand-Week Reich - A 'realistic' Nazi victory scenario

Republic of China
  • Hi! I'm AP246/Proximexo, back again with another map for TWR, this time in the Republic of China. Originally planned to make this an election map (see bottom right), but turned it into a normal map instead. Might still make the election map at some point.

bzv2eod413p21.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/b6z6cd/thousand_week_reich_republic_of_china_1976/ - on reddit

Stalin Book
  • Hi. Not long after but I've come up with another quick thing

jM7nl9M.png

Henderson's 'Stalin - Russia's False Hero' is one of many works to bring renewed attention to the failure of the Soviet Union and its leadership as one of the causes of Nazi rule over Europe.

Charting the rise and fall of the Soviet dictator, there is brief mention of Stalin's own crimes, such as evidence deliberate mass starvation reminiscent, but on a much smaller scale, of the Nazi hunger plan that was to come, but more emphasis is placed on his preparations for war, and their flaws. Henderson paints a picture of an initially effective, dictatorial leader, whose industrialisation programs in the form of the 5 Year Plans were well reasoned, but that grew more paranoid through his time in power, becoming ineffective and almost mad when the time came to defend against Nazi invasion.

Strong criticism is laid at two main actions - the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and the purges in the military. The first, Henderson reasons, gave Hitler adequate time and ability to win the war against France and knock Britain out of the war, leaving the Soviet Union entirely alone in the inevitable final showdown. The latter also eroded the Soviet ability to fight against the Nazi onslaught. Combined, these two factors are seen as being a huge failure on the part of Stalin, especially in comparison to his early industrialisation and armament programs, and it is argued that "perhaps Stalin's failures condemned 100 million of his people and those of other nations to death at the hands of the Nazi state over the next two decades".

"Stalin - Russia's False Hero" is an international bestseller, and its interpretation of Stalin's rule is one generally shared among other historians, though as with all historical works, it has its critics.

Germany Book
  • Laptop's still gone, but thought I'd make something that doesn't take too long.

(it looks better if you zoom out)

dxggKAH.jpg

Max Urban's 1979 work 'The Road to Hell' helped establish the standard historical thought of Germany's history from its founding as an Empire in 1871 to the rise of the Nazis in 1933. Urban's well known thesis is that, from the 19th century onwards, a gradual and unstoppable build-up of German nationalism took place that ultimately and inevitably manifested in the rise of Nazism and its reign over Europe until the start of the 1960s. Liberalism, it is claimed, was permanently neutered with the failure of the 1848 revolutions, and from then on both 'liberal nationalism' as a counterpart to the then growing conservative nationalism, as well as German leftism, were insufficient to stop the inevitable rise and intense radicalisation of the political right in Germany. The First World War is portrayed as a war started primarily started by Germany in the name of territorial expansion, domination and 'Germanisation' of neighbouring regions, and as a prelude to the Nazi takeover of Europe two decades later. The Treaty of Versailles, Urban claims, was created with 'naive leniency', and dramatically is claimed to have doomed 100 million people to death as a result of its failure to stop the rise of the German nation.

Urban's view was mainstream, and had been agreed on to some extent by most historians since he set it out. In recent decades, however, a wave of criticism has come from a new group of historians that mostly reject the notion that the rise of an ultranationalist Germany was due to unstoppable, inevitable forces on a societal scale, asserting that this is held out of hindsight having seen the destruction that Nazism wrought on Europe during its years in power. Today, while the old view is far from discounted by most, and The Road to Hell remains a well-regarded piece of historical analysis, it is one of the more hotly debated in historical fields.

Benelux
  • falimndb8lw21.png

The Low countries came under Nazi occupation during the German conquest of Europe in 1940 and, as the war in Europe petered out, were annexed directly into the 'Greater German Reich'. The old governments fled in exile to their colonies, or to the UK.

A cash strapped Germany with coffers drained by its grand projects and fighting against partisans in the east, stripped much of the wealth of this region bare, and invested much of it into building an ever greater Atlantic Wall to defend against the ever-present possibility of an Anglo-American invasion. The Polder project, that had begun in the Netherlands, was halted, and efforts moved towards building great earthworks to make the existing coastlines more defensible.

Despite the occupation, Nazi rule did lead to a short period of peace under an iron fist, that is, at least until the civil war. As the Reich rapidly began to collapse in on itself, fighting would return to the low countries once again. The region was the site of fierce fighting between SS forces and other factions. In the later stages of the civil war, Dutch and Belgian partisans began to resist in force, seizing small areas of territory, as the western governments began their plans for the final intervention.

Operation Flood in 1959 saw allied landings across the Netherlands, as well as the Northern German coast. The great Atlantic Wall, which would have been a formidable barrier to any invasion, had been in disrepair during years of the civil war, and was defended by only a skeleton force left behind as German military factions fought each other and Russian forces in the east, along with their Slavic rebel allies. The Wall, as well as further fortifications, military positions, and coastal towns, were subject to intense bombardment from air and sea, before waves of troops and land vehicles rolled onto the beaches and shores, over the vast fields of concrete rubble. It would not be long, after this spectacular show of force across the North Sea Coast of Europe, that a military government representing most of the remaining forces of Nazi Germany, would surrender.

Following the final surrender of Germany in 1960, the Stockholm conferences, along with their total restructuring of Europe, created the Benelux Union, uniting the low countries of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg into one state. Devastated by 20 years of Nazi Occupation and war, the new Union was granted territories along its eastern border as compensation from Germany, with the German populations deported. With the economic destruction, and the need for resources to be diverted to resettling the new territories, the main Polders were cancelled, with only the Noordoostpolder being eventually finished and settled.

In 2019, after a bumpy recovery, the Benelux Union is one of the relatively major nations in Europe, and a close partner and ally to France.

Textbook - Reconstruction
  • And now, a kinda similar work of my own, coincidentally. I started this a long time ago, but got bored/disillusioned with it. Stumbled across it again recently and decided it had to be finishes, so here it is. Pretty self explanatory.

NGx6Oxs.jpg

Last edited:
    Atlantic Union Parliament
  • Distribution of seats by country in the Atlantic Union Parliament

AU_Parliament.png

If you want to ask any questions, especially about how dominant the US would probably be in such an arrangement, or want to see more stuff about the Atlantic Union's history and modern structure (I have some ideas), just say!

Atlantic Union Timeline
  • A Timeline of the Atlantic Union

Hopefully this gives a bit more insight into how it worked and works in 2019.

timeline.png

Spaceflight Article (fixed)
  • The Nazi Astronaut - Fixed (kinda)

So, with Apollo 11's 50th anniversary coming up and all the documentaries it's bringing, it got me thinking about how space exploration could look in TWR, since there's no cold war and presumably no space race. I haven't thought about that in itself now, but it's definitely something interesting I'd like to explore in future!

What I did want to do is fix the many embarrassing spelling and syntax mistakes in my one piece that did involve spaceflight. However, I realised the original svg was lost along with my old laptop... Well, I wasn't going to let that stop me, so I simply got the png file from online where I'd uploaded it and manually matched up new text on top of the old, editing where I could. You can kinda tell it's been edited but, oh well, I just wanted to fix the mistakes.

Well, here it is:

space.png

Last edited: