Chapter 109, July 1520
  • Richmond Palace, Kingdom of England, July 1520

Giovanna of Naples was rather pleased that the King and Queen would be back soon. She detested being regent, she had little interest in ruling but as her stepson’s closest living relative, she was left to do so in his stead while he was away in France and Flanders. The woman was decent with managing finances though, so she supposed that even if she did not want the job, she, along with assistance from the prominent men of the realm, did well enough. Sitting in the council chambers, the Dowager Queen was eager for the day’s proceedings to end.

The old Duke of Norfolk, rambled on,”The rents from London have came in Your Majesty, and they are about what we had expected.”

“That is very good my Lord Treasurer.”Giovanna nodded

The woman looked around the room and could see that all the others looked rather bored, with several rather visibly searching for a chance to leave.

“I suppose that if there are no other pressing issues, gentlemen, you are dismissed.”

Standing from their chairs the men promptly scampered their ways out of the room, and, as Giovanna moved from the throne where she sat on Henry’s behalf, she noticed that one man had lingered. It was Norfolk of course, who was rifling through some papers in the middle of the table.

“Are there any other matters my Lord Treasurer?”

The man gathered up the papers, no doubt reports on taxation, and replied,”Nothing terribly important. My daughter Elizabeth wanted me to inform you that Agnes Willoughby has come to court.”

“Ah good, it will be nice to see her again…” Giovanna murmured in response.

Agnes Willoughby, the daughter of her late friend Antonia de Cardona, and her husband the Baron Willoughby was someone whom the Dowager Queen was eager to see. As Agnes’s mother had died birthing her, this left Giovanna to try and be a surrogate mother to the poor girl. Matters were not helped by the fact that her stepmother, Jane Popincourt, a Baroness thanks to her marriage, was often indifferent at best towards her. Giovanna couldn’t help but feel that the fact that Jane’s only son by the Baron was stillborn probably did not help, so her daughters by William were behind Agnes in terms of inheriting their father’s title. William and Jane's two living children, were both daughters, Alice, born in 1516, and Lucy who had just reached her first birthday two months ago.

As such Giovanna had a bright smile on her face when she stepped out into the courtyard to meet the girl. Young Agnes curtseyed before waving happily as the woman joined her and her father. Stepping forward she presented a piece of paper to her,”Your Majesty, I hope that this drawing will make you happy, my governess Mabel said it resembles you well.”

The Dowager Queen gently took the drawing into her hand. It was mostly correct, even if it seemed to idealize her somewhat, Giovanna noted that I’m a bit fatter than this would suggest

“It shall, it is very pretty, you have great talent for drawing Mia cara.”

The girl of eight smiled shyly at this, and her father, along with her thin, older governess both looked on with pride at Agnes. It seems she will make a fine Baroness one day, and of course, we will be family when she marries Henry’s natural son Jasper.

This gave Giovanna an idea, one that she hoped could mean that Eleanor would be good to the child when she inevitably married into the family, even if Eleanor did hate the boy’s mother Bessie,”Perchance I may introduce you to Their Majesties and the Princess Mary when they return from Flanders.”

The girl bowed her head,”I would be very honored to do so, thank you Queen Giovanna.”

“Of course Agnes, I owe it to your mother to do what I can to help you.”

Curious, the child asked,”What was she like Your Majesty?”

Feeling a bit sad, but also wistful at remembering her friend, Giovanna said,”Antonia was very kind, and diligent. She always looked after me, even when she had her own problems.”
    “She sounds like she was a good woman.” Agnes murmured

“Antonia was, and I know that you will be like her, and you will be one of the foremost women of the realm.”

They all continued talking, spending a good deal of time in the courtyard, and it was occasions such as this that made Giovanna grateful for what she had, even if at times her duties were troublesome.
    Credit to @pandizzy for giving me the idea of Agnes giving Giovanna a drawing of her.

Last edited:
    Chapter 110, September 1520
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, September 1520

The child in her belly kicked hard and Catalina thought to herself, Dios Mío you have so much energy, my child

Her belly had grown large with the growth of this child, and with her entering the final stages of her pregnancy the Queen of Portugal had felt reassured by the fact that she was far enough along to enter into her confinement. Nonetheless, she crossed herself as she finished her prayers Lord, please let this child live, I do not care if it is a boy or a girl, just that it should live.

Maria de Salinas picked up the shirt that Catalina had just finished mending and set it upon the table by the fireplace and laughed,”I thought Manuel did not want you to mend his shirts while you were with child, that it was too strenuous?”

Catalina of Aragon smirked,”Well I may have gotten the seamstress’s daughter a job as a kitchen maid, and so Aldonça felt obliged to deliver the King’s shirts to me instead...”
    Her chief lady rolled her eyes,”Well you are your father’s daughter.”

“Speaking of which, what your sister Ines said about the court in Castile? I trust she does well to earn the stipend I am paying?”
    Maria nodded,”Yes she does, I just received a letter from her, but I’m not sure if you are prepared to hear of it in your state.”

“Go on Maria, I’m strong and even if it is news of some plot, I am better off knowing it now so I may warn my family.”

“It’s not that Majesty… The King and Queen had a second child, a daughter.”

“What do you mean had? Are you saying that…”?

Turning back to her friend, Maria lowered her eyes soberly,”Yes they had a daughter, the Infanta Maria, she was born too early last month and passed into the Lord’s company hours after her birth. I am so sorry…”

The Queen of Portugal shed a few silent tears,”It is not your fault Maria, sadly these things happen. As soon as we are able, Manuel and I will write a letter to Ferdinand and Isabella, to comfort them in this dark hour. To remind them that their little girl does not suffer and that they have done nothing wrong.”

“I see.” Maria replied,”Shall I go get some wine?”

Catalina shook her head,”No, it would not be proper after such a tragedy, water instead please. If I am temperate then I hope God will spare my family further tragedy”

Last edited:
    Chapter 111, October 1520
  • Eltham Palace, Kingdom of England, October 1520

Eleanor of Austria was grateful to be back in England. As happy as she was to have reunited with her aunt Margaret, her siblings, and to have met her niece Elisabeth, she needed calm, and some rest. In particular, she wanted to spend some more time with her daughter. Little Mary was her only living daughter, though Eleanor had a hunch that the girl would soon have a little sibling. She had yet to tell Henry, as she did not want to possibly be wrong and disappoint the man. Gazing lovingly at her four-year-old daughter, the woman thought to herself Perhaps not quite yet, for now, I want to enjoy what I already have.

Kneeling on the floor in her pink dress, the Princess Mary showed her mother her doll, animatedly explaining it’s features,”And she has brown hair, just like you mama!”

Eleanor chuckled cheerfully,”You are right she does my darling Mary. What is her name?”

Mary’s dark eyes lit up,”Her name is Edith, and she’s a Princess.”

“That’s very nice my dear. Did you know that your ancestors had that name?”

Her daughter shook her head and Eleanor continued,”Your great-grandmother, Maragaret’s grandmother was named Edith Stourton.”

“Oh, that’s nice…” Mary quietly replied

“I did not know it myself until I had asked your father.”

The girl continued to play with her doll, and Johanne whispered,”The Dowager Queen has arrived with her children your Majesty, they are waiting in the drawing room.”

“Very well.” Eleanor replied

Turning her head towards her daughter, the Queen of England asked,”How would you like to come and see your aunt Joanna and the Dowager Queen?”
    “Auntie Joanna?” The Princess exclaimed,”I would love to go see her!”

Mary’s Governess, Margaret Bryan guided her charge with a light hand on the shoulders,”They will be in the drawing room your Highness.”

Having walked the quick journey to the drawing-room of the palace, Eleanor had nearly stopped in her tracks when she saw who was with Giovanna of Naples. It was not that the aging woman had brought her children, that much she had expected, but there was another child with her, one that Eleanor had vaguely recognized from occasional glimpses of her at Hertford. The girl, who was quietly humming by the fire out of nervousness was Agnes Willoughby. The woman did not know how quite how to take this. The child was to marry one of Henry’s bastards, Jasper, whose birth had infuriated The Queen of England when she was younger. Yet, finding herself face to face with the girl, Eleanor could not muster any anger towards Agnes. Before her was a motherless heiress, who had no more choice in her marriage than Eleanor had in her own. She wasn’t sure if she could quite bring herself to treat her warmly, given the connections she would soon have, but the Queen of England decided she would at least young Agnes politely. So she bowed her head a little,”Lady Agnes, I am pleased to meet you, the Dowager Queen has said much in praise of you, and I see she was not lying.”

The child curtseyed deeply, overwhelmed by the fact that she had just met the Queen of England,”Your Majesty, to meet you and the Princess Mary is a privilege.”

From where she sat, Giovanna looked on like the proud mother she was, both to her own children, as well Agnes, and she murmured,”Perhaps you could show Queen Eleanor and Princess Mary how you and Joanna play the lute together. You two do quite well together.”

Grabbing a pair of small lutes that they had brought with them, Agnes and Joanna smirked at one another and strum the instruments, as Mary looked on with amazement. As they continued to listen to the rather good performance, Eleanor decided that perhaps Agnes Willoughby marrying one of Henry’s bastards would not be so bad after all.

Chapter 112, November 1520
  • Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, November 1520

“Oh, my Lord Suffolk, I am quite surprised to see you here! Are you well? How is the Duchess?”

Charles, the Duke of Suffolk gave the Dowager Queen a tired smile,”My wife took some time to recover from Elizabeth’s birth. I was so worried for her that I named our daughter after Elizabeth in case she took a turn for the worse, but luckily she has not.”

Flurries of snowflakes began to drift onto the ground, the first snow of the coming winter. Noticing this, Giovanna of Naples said,”If there is more to discuss we can do so inside, it is far too cold to stand out here in the snow. I know you English have some strange practices, but I did not know that freezing to death was one of them.”

Brandon chuckled at this as they made their way inside,”No we have our peculiarities Madam, but that is not one of them.”

When they entered the parlor, Giovanna motioned for the man to sit at a chair by the window, filling a goblet of wine,”Would you like some too my Lord Suffolk?”

“Yes please.” The man answered

She poured another goblet, this batch of dark red wine had just arrived a week ago, from Aragon. The woman had paid quite a bit for it, but she could afford it, her dower lands and pension provided her with more than enough income after all. It reminded her of her maternal ancestry and was quite tasty, so it was well worth it. In any case, she brought Charles Brandon his wine, and after taking it into his hand the man settled into his chair. As Giovanna followed suit across from him, he asked,”So how are your children? The King says that Joanna and Charles are growing like weeds.”

“Yes, they certainly are Charles, I am glad that His Majesty speaks well of them.”
    “He does, he is proud of them. Which leads me to something else milady.”

“What is that His Majesty requires of me?” Giovanna asked

Suffolk sipped his wine,”As you know the King’s aunt, Cecily of York, fell out of favor during his father’s reign for her third marriage. Now her children by Thomas Kyme are of age and petition him for positions in the royal household. Henry feels for his young cousins, but does not think that his late father, your husband, would approve of giving them a place in his or the Queen’s household.”

“So, he wants me to host them here at Hertford, so that they may serve my children?”

“Indeed, he does.” Charles Brandon answered

Giovanna of Naples made her mind up quickly enough,”Then they shall join us here. Young Richard can become a companion to Charles, and Margery will serve Joanna as a maid of honour.”

Getting up, the Duke of Suffolk cleared his throat,”His Majesty appreciates your cooperation as always, I’ll be sure to put a good word for you at court. Perhaps you’ll be Godmother to the Queen’s unborn child.”

Giovanna was grateful but shook her head, smiling,”No, tell him I want Catherine to have that privilege instead, she’s the Holy Roman Empress after all.”

“Then I shall do so.”

“Good… You went to Flanders with His Majesty, how was my darling daughter?”

“The Empress was well, the Emperor took a mistress during her pregnancy, but Catherine seems to have forgiven him, and he has not strayed again.”

The Dowager Queen was relieved that the young woman was not too badly hurt by her husband’s indiscretion,”Catherine was always such a sweet girl, so I am not surprised.”

When Charles Brandon left, Giovanna relaxed in her chair, wistful from the conversation and the wine.

I only hope that whoever Joanna marries will not hurt her in such a way.

Chapter 113, November 1520
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, November 1520

Catalina of Aragon nearly jumped when she heard the door swing open. Of course, that would have been quite a feat, considering how large her belly was. The Queen of Portugal had not been expecting a visitor, but she would not complain if she was to receive another well-wisher.

“Who is it?” The pregnant woman called out.

The voice, slightly lilted came out sweetly,”Close your eyes Queen Catalina.”

It was rather obvious just who it was, but Catalina played along, giggling, and squeezing her eyes shut. Through the darkness, she heard trundling footsteps and smelt something rather sweet.

“You may open them Meu amor.”

The moment Catalina opened her eyes she was filled with delight. In her husband’s hands was a plate, with a large piece of flan nestled in the middle of it.

“Oh Manuel!” Catalina beamed in gratitude.

Manuel smiled happily as he passed over the plate,”I know that flan is your favorite dessert, and now that you are with child I think you should allow yourself to indulge as you please.”

Taking the plate, the Queen of Portugal greedily dug into the cake with a spoon, moaning in satisfaction as a chunk of the cake, topped with snow cream (1), entered her mouth.

The woman rested the plate on her pregnant belly for a moment, and exclaimed,”Thank you Manuel Meu amor you are kinder to me than I deserve.”

The older man leaned in and planted a soft kiss against his wife’s cheek,”Anything for you my dear.”

When Manuel pulled away to give her room, Catalina continued to eat the cake her husband had made for her, feeling lucky to be married to such a kind, caring man.

(1) Basically a precursor to what we know as whipped cream today

PS: I know this is a quick, short chapter, but I figured some fluff between Catalina and Manuel was in order.

Chapter 114, December 1520
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, December 1520
    A tear slid down her face, the Queen could hardly believe what was happening. Catalina of Aragon trembled as she took a deep breath, leaning her back against the wall for support. In the room adjacent to where she stood in the hallway her husband was dying. Worse yet, because it was the dreaded plague that he was suffering from, she could not comfort him for fear of putting her life, or that of their unborn child at risk.

The woman prayed quietly for a moment, trying to appear calmer than she really was.

Elvira de Mendoza placed a hand against the Queen of Portugal’s shoulder blades, the older woman trying to quietly comfort her as best she could.

“Thank you, Elvira and Maria.” Catalina whispered

Maria de Salinas was also there, by her side, stroking her friend’s hand, and Catalina could tell that she too was bewildered, not sure what to do. The woman saw a flash of dark cloth in the morning light out of the corner of her eye, and she heard a trembling voice,”Your Majesty.”

Turning her head, the Queen of Portugal noticed that it was her eldest stepchild, Prince João, and she lowered her head, unable to curtesy due to her pregnancy, and asked,”Highness, do the physicians send any news?’

João’s lip trembled, his facade of cool formality falling apart,”My father, the King is dead…”

Catalina of Aragon blinked away tears and walked over to the young man, nay, the boy who had just lost his father, who would now assume the heavy burden of being King. She threw her arms around him, and together they both sobbed, utterly despondent.

Catalina no longer the Queen Consort of Portugal, sniffled,”He was a good man João, a kind father to you and your brothers and sisters.”

“Yes, he was.” João nodded his head,”But he was still taken from us too soon, far too soon.”

Catalina thought about the child in her belly, who would never meet its father, and hugged her nephew tighter,”Si João, far too soon.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 115, December 1520
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, December 1520

Her waters broke early in the morning on Christmas Eve, hours before the sun had even risen.

Catalina of Aragon, Dowager Queen of Portugal lay in the bed, panting as she pushed with all she had.

The woman still wore her black widow’s veil, the rest of her mourning clothes removed for obvious reasons. She clutched her rosary, silently praying as she continued.

“AAAAAAH!” She screamed, it felt like she was being ripped apart, as she pushed harder and harder to try and get her baby out.

The midwives and her ladies were there, all with worry etched on their faces. Childbirth was often dangerous for the women of her family after all, and, Catalina, having just turned thirty-five a week ago, was at an age when it could be particularly deadly.

Beads of sweat covered her forehead and Catalina looked over to her dear friend, Maria de Salinas, who was holding her hand, trying to support her as best she could.

Their eyes met before Catalina tightened her grip on the other woman’s hand, pleading,”Maria, if this gets worse and there is a choice between myself and the baby, save my baby. Don’t let this one die to save me, don’t let my baby die!”

Maria de Salinas nodded, clearly pained at the prospect,”I will obey your wishes as ever Catalina, but I must ask that you promise not to give up.”

“I won’t Maria, I promise.” The Dowager Queen of Portugal replied.

So, she steeled herself, prepared to continue in her struggle, to bring a new life into the world. I will have this child; I do not care if it kills me. Manuel gave me this final gift, and I shall not throw it away for anything.

Catalina of Aragon pushed again, and again, until finally she felt a slippery, wet sensation, and heard the first, shrill cries of her child. The midwife, Teresa Mendes, took the baby, swaddled and cleaned it, as the Dowager Queen sighed in relief. It was over, and she finally, after all these years, had a living child.

Still, while her body wanted to rest, to sleep, her heart, and her mind did not.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” Catalina asked

Teresa, a thin, middle-aged woman with graying black hair smiled widely,”Your Majesty has delivered Portugal a healthy Infanta.”

“The Lord has answered my prayers then. Bring her here so that I can hold her please.”

When the midwife walked over, baby in hand, Catalina’s heart soared. She may have lost her husband, but now she had a reason to live. Cradling her daughter in her arms, Catalina of Aragon cried tears of joy, her baby cooing at her,”Oh my sweet girl, you have your father’s hair.”

It was true, the little Infanta’s fluffy down was dark brown, as Manuel’s had been before it greyed.

Although it was bittersweet, given that her daughter would never meet her father, the Dowager Queen of Portugal focused on how happy she was to finally have a healthy, living child.

Gazing into the Infanta’s eyes, blue just like her mother’s Catalina murmured,“I think I will name you Maria hija, for both my sister and my dearest friend.”

Chapter 116, February 1521
  • Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, February 1521

Sitting up in her bed, Eleanor of Austria felt a wave of relief pass over her. The baby was alive, and, as she could tell by its hearty cries, was perfectly healthy. Johanne carried the now cleaned and swaddled child over to her, with a large, toothy smile on her face.

Bending down as she handed the baby to the Queen of England, her Obersthofmeisterin said,”Here he is Your Majesty, I trust His Majesty will be most pleased.”

Taking the squirming Duke of Cornwall into her arms, Eleanor giggled at the child,”Of course, how could he not be. Our son is already strong, I am sure he’ll grow to be a great warrior, much like his father.”

Little Henry cried a little, and so the Queen of England soothed him, presented him with her pointer finger, which her son promptly took into his fist. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing, given how surprisingly tight the newborn’s grip was, but her son was now happy, so she had to be too.

Taking a moment to consider other matters, Eleanor of Austria turned to Johanne and asked,”Has the King been informed yet?”

Johanne nodded her head,”Yes, he should be here very soon.”

“Good.” Eleanor replied. It was a simple answer, perhaps not one that described how she truly felt. She was in fact overjoyed. Henry would be so happy, his love for her was assured now that they had a living son. Not only that but he would, of course, love their son. How could he not, especially when their son resembled him so, save for his small nose, which he had inherited from Eleanor.

She heard her husband’s jolly, booming voice before he had even walked into the room,“I have a son, a son!”

When she saw her husband’s reaction as he came closer, she was not disappointed. The man showered her with kisses, before holding their son for himself.

Standing in the middle of the room, Henry mused,”This little boy will lead England to her full potential one day, I am sure of it…”

Eleanor could only agree with her husband, as she hoped so too. Ideally, he would end up with the best of their qualities, her cunning, and his father’s bravery, and he would be a King that could make the French tremble in fear. Of course, while she wanted this to happen, the Queen of England wanted to focus more on the here and now, and the fact was that she was desperately in need of sleep. As she leaned her back into the pillow, the woman closed her eyes, feeling relieved to finally have a chance to rest, to sleep.

Chapter 117, February 1521
  • Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, February 1521

They lay together under the covers, their bodies sticky with sweat. She yawned as she sat up, as the woman knew that much as she wanted to, she couldn’t spend the whole day in bed. Her lover rubbed her shoulders and planted a couple of soft, wet kisses, against the back of her neck. Giovanna shivered at the touch of the younger man’s lips and moaned,”Oh Antonio, mio caro…”

Much as she didn’t want to, she rose and walked over to the window, and sunlight filtered in as she parted the curtains a little.

Anthony Wingfield laid across the bed, resting his chin on his fists as he pouted,”Do you have to go my love?”

Looking down at the large, hulking young man Giovanna sighed,”I wish I didn’t have to, but there are things I must do…”

Rolling off the bed, Anthony kissed the Dowager Queen on the lips, and as he pulled away whispered,”Are they better than this?”

“No not better, but I simply have no choice.”

“Oh alright…” Anthony folded his arms

“Besides…” Giovanna added,”If I was seen to shirk my duties and stay in my chambers all day, people would grow suspicious, we wouldn’t want anyone to find out. I’ll see you again later, I promise, Il mio orso.”

Seemingly content, Anthony took a sip from his goblet of water before starting to get himself dressed, first putting on some sturdy trousers. They were necessary of course, as the young man was not just some idle hanger-on in the Dowager Queen Giovanna’s household. No, since the passing of Thomas Say in the early months of the last spring, Anthony had been serving in the dead man’s role as riding instructor to her son Charles, the Duke of Somerset. It was a convenient role, to be sure, which entitled Sir Anthony Wingfield to a decent stipend, while also concealing the true reason why he was in the Dowager Queen’s household. Most importantly, to Giovanna of Naples at least, he was good with Charles, firm but not harsh by any means. This was important because as he grew older, the young Duke had become less fond of horse riding than he had been in his early years. No, instead Charles enjoyed reading, and other tasks associated with his more academic studies, certainly his father’s son through and through. There was nothing wrong with that of course, but it was still important that he at least learn the basics of the martial arts expected of a Prince, even if Giovanna was privately relieved that the boy was less fond of such things than his half-brother. Richard Kymbe was proving to be a good influence as well, for his gruffer demeanor, perhaps stemming from his humble background, kept Charles from becoming indolent in comparison to his new friend. There were matters of her own to attend to as well, though at least it wouldn’t be anything terribly tedious.

He left the room first, so that they were not seen to leave together, and whispered,”I’ll see you after Charles’s lessons.”
    The woman nodded quietly, and so Anthony exited her bedchambers. As such she made ready to get on with the day’s work. First, of course she wanted to make sure that she was clean and refreshed, so she would bathe. After sitting for a few minutes, she left her rooms, and came across Margarery Kymbe on the other end hallway. The sandy haired youth who was sitting on a bench, by the window. She was staring out the window, seemingly lost in thought.

Amused, Giovanna cleared her throat as she drew nearer, and Margarery all but jumped out of the bench. Once she had composed herself from this surprise she curtseyed,”Your Majesty, what is that you need?”

Almost laughing, Giovanna said,”Can you please have the servants prepare a bath for me in my bedchambers?”

Nodding her head Margarery replied,”Of course, but there is something I think you should know…”
    “What is it?” The Dowager Queen asked,”Are you not well adjusted here? Is something bothering you?”
    “No not at all, you have been most generous to my brother and I. It’s news from court… Her Majesty Queen Eleanor has given birth to a healthy boy, a new Duke of Cornwall.”

“Oh, thank God!” The Dowager Queen beamed

“You are not displeased that Lord Somerset is no longer the King’s heir?” Margarery asked.

Giovanna of Naples came to know Margarery as inquisitive, and so she indulged her with a forthright answer,”Quite the opposite. I am incredibly happy for the King and Queen; they deserve a living son of their own. Not only that, but I do not want Charles to have to be King of England. I want him to be happy, to have the ability to make choices beyond just the welfare of the realm. So it is for the best after all. After I bathe I shall write a letter congratulating Henry and Eleanor, my inkwell is in the solar correct?”
    Her curiosity sated, Margarery seemed much more focused, answering with a quick ,”Yes Your Majesty.”

“Good, please make sure that I have fresh parchment while I bathe.”

Once again Margarery paid her respects, and so Giovanna felt satisfied, ready to get on with her day. Everyone can be happier now thanks to this new Duke of Cornwall. Nobody will ever find out about Anthony and I. Charles may do as he wishes as he grows older, perhaps he’ll even marry someone he is fond of, rather than Lord Suffolk’s eldest girl…

Chapter 118, March 1521
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, March 1521

Catalina hummed to herself as she gently rocked her daughter in her arms. Little Maria de Avis, Infanta of Portugal had begun to drift to sleep, having just been fed by a wetnurse. The woman herself was still mournful, distraught that her only child would never meet her father. Still, even as she silently cried, the Dowager Queen was determined to be the best mother she possibly could be to her daughter. Sitting in the chair in the middle of the nursery, Catalina of Aragon knew that despite her sorrows, she must be grateful that she at least had her daughter and all those who had supported her. Maria de Salinas walked over with a goblet of wine, and asked,”Would you like something to drink Your Majesty?”
    The woman nodded,”Yes, and please, when we are in private there is no need for such protocol my dearest friend.”

Maria grinned and brought the cool metal goblet to Catalina’s mouth, who drank it all as it was only half full.

“Thank you, Maria...” The Dowager Queen said as her lady passed the empty goblet to a servant,”How are your own children my friend?”

“They are doing quite well.” Maria nodded emphatically.

Catalina gently stroked the dark, soft down on her daughter’s head,”Good, I remember when little Lina took her first steps last week, and Pelayo steadied her because he thought she would fall.”

Maria laughed, though quietly so as not to wake the baby,”Yes he’s such a sweet boy, listens well...”

“Are you saying that Martin does not?” Catalina asked

Maria shook her head,”That’s not exactly what I mean… Just that, well he looks up to Gabriel, as an official and a soldier, he does not quite seem to appreciate old tomes in the same way that Pelayo does.”

“That’s fair enough I suppose, we all have different talents. Just know that I will ensure that your children, no matter their talents, have the opportunities that they deserve.”

Maria de Salinas beamed,“I appreciate all you’ve done for my family and I Catalina, I truly do.”
    Catalina of Aragon smiled back,“Anything for you Maria, mi querida amiga.”

She sank back into the chair for a moment, until her daughter woke up with a cute little sneeze, and Catalina chuckled,”Perhaps in a few years you shall have nieces and nephews joining you in this nursery too, I think you could use the company hija.”

So the Dowager Queen would spend much of the rest of her day in the nursery, unaware of the coming events that would soon change the lives of herself and her family, as well as the balance of power across all of Europe…

Maria de Salinas Family Tree
  • Also since Gabriel and Maria are done having children here's a family tree for them

Gabriel Fernández Manrique (b.1486) m. Maria de Salinas (b.1490) had issue

1) Martin Fernández Manrique (b.1510)

2) Pelayo Fernández Manrique (b.1512)

3) Stillborn son (1513)

4) Josefa Fernández Manrique (b.1515)

5) Pedro Fernández Manrique (b.1517)

6) Catalina "Lina" Fernández Manrique (b.1520)

Last edited:
    Chapter 119, May 1521
  • Alcázar of Toledo, Kingdom of Castile, May 1521

Her husband had entered the throne room with a grim smile across his face.

Uneasy, Isabella of Portugal, the Queen of Castile asked,”What has happened my King?”

Striding forward, past the courtiers who were all but tripping over themselves to prostrate before him. Climbing up the dais, When he sat upon the throne adjacent to Isabella’s Ferdinand finally answered, his voice quick and decisive,”I am marshalling my forces for war! My brother, The Holy Roman Emperor and I have decided it is time that Francesco Sforza take his rightful place as Duke of Milan.”

How very interesting was what Isabella thought, but did nothing except nod in obedient agreement

Looking down at the crowd before them. Ferdinand fixed his gaze on a husky man on the edge of the crowd, with long dark hair and a bushy beard,“Francesco Sforza!” He called out from his seat,”Do you accept my offer? To drive out the French tyrant out of your lands?”

The men knelt to his knees, drawing his dress sword and pressing it to the ground,”Yes I do accept, Your Majesty, and I swear that once assume my place as Duke of Milan I shall be your most steadfast ally, the first to raise his sword against King Francis.”

Her husband smiled, a mischievous sparkle in his eye,”Good, rise then Duke Francesco. Come with me and my council, we have a war to plan.”

They were in the Queen’s private chambers when Isabella grew quite unnerved by the prospect of her husband going off to war. He had returned from his meeting in the strategy room some time ago, and Isabella had finished putting her nightgown back on.

Standing across from where Ferdinand sat up in her bed, she pleaded,”Must you go with your army Ferdinand? Surely you can delegate command to your generals, men such as de Leyva, who have been leading men in battle for decades?”

The King of all Spain shrugged her bare shoulders,”I could, but what kind of a King wouldn’t at least follow his men on campaign, and share in their depravations? No Isabella, I may not be the greatest of warriors, but I am no coward.”

The Queen folded her arms, pouting slightly,”You will do what you must then?”

Her husband crawled across the bed, to the left side, the side that she normally laid on, and put his feet onto the floor. Walking over to her, he wrapped his arms around her in a warm embrace, planting a kiss on her cheek,”Yes Isabella I shall. I promise you that I will be careful, I won’t put myself at any unnecessary risks, that I can do for. I need you to do something for me, however…”

“What is it my love?” Isabella of Portugal asked

“I need you to rule Spain while I am off in France and Italy my Queen, to safeguard our kingdom for Juan. I know that you will do well in this, you are named for our grandmother after all, and the nobles trust you. You were born for this.”

The young woman was almost brought to tears, both of sorrow, and gratitude. The sorrow she felt because she feared her husband would die off on some battlefield, while she was grateful for the trust that he held for her, that she would be regent.

She held him tighter as if it were the last time she would ever have him again,”I love you, Ferdinand. I pray that with the help of the English King and the Emperor you will find victory, and that you will return to us soon.”

PS: I will probably only be using Isabella's POV once, but I felt it would be useful in this case.

Chapter 120, June 1521
  • Richmond Palace, Kingdom of England, June 1521

It was the third week of June and England was preparing for war. Eleanor, its Queen, stood in the green outside of the palace, watching her eldest child happily frolicking through the grass. Mary was closely followed by a pair of her young friends; Agnes Willoughby, her future sister-in-law, and Maud Percy, the Earl of Northumberland’s youngest daughter, who at seven had recently grown close to Mary during one of her father’s visits to court. The cause of this most recent visit was unfortunate, however, as the Earl had been called to testify against the traitor Duke of Buckingham, whose death Eleanor was grateful for. In fact, despite the famed tradition of a Queen supplicating herself before her husband to show mercy to the condemned, Eleanor of Austria did no such thing. She would not lower herself to save such a vile man, who would have seen her husband, and no doubt her son, dead. No, in fact, Eleanor, along with Wolsey, had rather firmly pushed Henry to not only have the man beheaded but also for his attainder, which was pronounced before him publicly to ensure that he knew he had ruined his family with his crimes. The Queen of England was grimly pleased with this, even as she watched the girls play together. That whore Anne Stafford now sees that I never forgive a single slight against me, her brother is dead, and his family ruined. Stepping towards the girls, her thoughts drifted back to the coming war, of the steps that Henry had taken to ensure that he and her brothers would prevail. Namely, Mary’s betrothal. Coming closer to the three and Lady Pole, her daughter’s governess she called out,”Mary, Maud, and Agnes, can you all come here please?”
    The girls all listened, though Eleanor could see Maud’s lip twitch a little, clearly she and the others were enjoying their time and did not really want to go over.

As her daughter drew near, the girl bowed her head, whining slightly,”What is it mama? We were just looking at the butterflies.”

The other girls stood awkwardly, they did not want to be there any more than Mary, though had the sense not to say anything.

Eleanor bent down and gave her only daughter a quick smile,”This will only take a moment Mary, then you can all go back to playing, alright?”

Mary Tudor shook her head,”Alright mama.”

“Good…” Eleanor continued,”Now, how would you like to be a Queen?”

The girl laughed, eyes crinkled and her teeth showing, though one of her front teeth had fallen out early, which only made her more adorable in Eleanor’s eyes,”Don’t be silly mama, Harry will be King, everyone knows that boys come first!”

The Queen found this rather funny but stayed silent as she did not want to encourage such remarks. Well, there’s no mistaking who her mother is.

Margaret Pole, the Lady Governess spluttered,”Your Highness, be respectful of Her Majesty!”

Mary quickly apologized, though Eleanor could tell she wasn’t truly sorry for her little joke.

“You are right Mary; you wouldn’t be Queen of England. Your father has betrothed you to King James of Scotland, so that he will not come to the aid of the French. So, you will be a Queen, but of Scotland once you are grown up.”

“Really?” Mary beamed, almost in disbelief

“Yes really, now go on and play with your friends.”

Mary, Maud, and Agnes curtseyed before Eleanor and then raced off back into the field, closely followed by Lady Pole, and she heard Maud exclaim,”You’ll be Queen of Scotland? Isn't that splendid Mary?!"

Chapter 121, July 1521
  • Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, July 1521

Dust was kicked up by The Duke of Somerset’s boots as he shuffled from side to side in the tiltyard. He wore leathers, as the wooden practice swords he and Richard Kymbe held were dull, so they would not hurt too much, but could still sting a little. Richard, despite being older than Charles was only slightly taller, but was sturdier, with broad shoulders and thick, well-muscled arms. The older boy held his sword with two hands, clearly seeking to use his greater size to his advantage, and as Giovanna stood behind the wooden fence, she shuddered a little. The woman knew it was all in good fun, and the boys didn’t want to hurt each other, but a mother’s heart isn’t always rational, and accidents could still happen. Still, her son wasn’t bad at this, as his thinner frame meant he was more agile. Richard stomped forward towards Charles and brought his sword down in a forward lunge. The Duke of Somerset had not quite anticipated this quick enough and had barely brought up his weapon quickly enough to block it. It still wasn’t enough, and his sword tumbled out of his hands, onto the dirt several paces to his right.

“Give up!” Richard grunted, holding his weapon mere inches away from Charles’s chest

Charles narrowed his eyes, his voice hard and determined,”Never…”

Without giving Kymbe any chance to respond, Charles kicked him in the knee and shoved him back with all his might.

As Richard reeled from this, Charles rushed to the right and picked his sword and picked his sword back up.

Smirking, Charles went on the attack, swiping from left to right, in a flurry of quick, precise blows. Richard had managed to block most of those but grimaced as one hit him in the side. Apparently frustrated, Richard grunted and managed to parry another blow, knocking the sword out of Charles’s hand with the pommel of his own.

“Yield Charles!” Kymbe ordered, panting.

Charles nodded slightly, sweat dripping down his face,”Yes Dick, I yield…”

The two shook hands, proving that the practice fight was just that, practice.

Anthony Wingfield, who was standing at the far right end of the tiltyard smiled,”Good job boys, you did well.”

The two both made their way out of the tiltyard, laughing even as Somerset held his right wrist in his left hand. When the two, with Anthony close behind walked over to where Giovanna and the girls: Joanna, Anne, and Margarery, were all standing, the Dowager Queen looked up to her son, concern in her eyes,”Are you alright Charles? You didn’t get hurt badly, did you?”
    Charles chuckled at this,”Do not worry mother, I’ll be fine, it’s just bruised a little. Trust me I don’t intend to become some great warrior like my brother, the King, but I at least want to know how to defend myself.”

Anne Boleyn looked to Charles, their brown eyes meeting,”I think you were quite gallant Charles, as a Duke of Somerset should be.”

The boy blushed sheepishly at this, and it did not escape Giovanna’s notice He must be sweet on her, boys his age always like the first older girl that’ll pay them attention. I just hope he does not get his hopes up, one day they’ll have to make matches that bring glory to their houses.

Chapter 122, October 1521
  • Jerónimos Monastery, Kingdom of Portugal, October 1521

The Portuguese court was busy, and, while it would be a stretch to say it was jolly, the suffocating grief that had once consumed it had abated somewhat. Catalina for her part could not say the same for herself. Although she loved little Maria and took some comfort in raising her, she still had a hole in her heart, one which could never be refilled. The candles in the space illuminated the Dowager Queen as she grieved, the air cool, though she suspected that her husband’s body was much colder in his sarcophagus.

“Manuel.” She whispered,”The court finds a way to move on now that you are gone, but I cannot…”

Rubbing her wet eyes, Catalina continued,”You must know I shall never remarry, now that you are dead, all men are dead to me.”

The woman felt the room grow chillier as she knelt, Dios Mio, I can feel his spirit here.

Sensing this, Catalina continued,”Our daughter is very pretty already, but most importantly she is a sweet child. I wish that you could have gotten to meet her, to watch her grow as I will… Maria is to be a Queen, nuestra pequeña reina. João has received Enrique De Inglaterra’s ambassador, Don Tomas Bolena, and they have reached an accord. Our daughter will bring a grand dowry to his kingdom, and the two of us shall set sail to England once the younger Enrique is of age. I pray that God will bless her and their union, and most of all that you will be pleased by this, that she will make you happy.”

Rising to her feet on wobbly knees, Catalina placed a loving hand against the sarcophagus before she moved to leave,”Buenas noches, mi amor.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 123, April 1522
  • Dover Castle, Kingdom of England, April 1522

Eleanor of Austria, the Queen of England, stood by the window, her lip quivering. She gazed out of it for a moment, watching as the waves crashed against the white cliffs of Dover, This land has a beauty that has always amazed me.

Henry, who had been pacing at the edge of the room, had kept talking about his plans, to continue the assault on the French that he and her brothers had executed quite well so far, unaware of her state.

“Now that the weather is suitable for it, my men and I shall mount an assault on Boulogne, since Charles and I beat back the French Constable, Charles of Bourbon, at Arras, Francis and his men are on the defensive in the north.”

Eleanor nodded and ran a hand through her hair, feeling rather melancholy as she turned to face her husband

“Darling, what is wrong?” Henry asked, finally noticing her state,”Are you not happy that Charles and I have done well in battle?”

Taking several steps forward, halfway across the room, Eleanor shook her head,”Oh you oaf, can’t you see that I wish you didn’t have to go?!”

Henry nodded his head, red hair shimmering in the noon sunlight that filtered through the window and he reached out, taking her hands into his own,”Yes I know that my dear but I have been home for the past two months, and now it is time to lead my men into a renewed offensive. I’ll be back soon enough; it’ll take more than some French fool to fell me. Since you proved yourself during the last campaign, from now on you are to be Regent of the realm in my absence.”

Eleanor reached up and wrapped her husband in a tight embrace,”Thank you for placing such trust in me my love, I promise that all will be well while you are away.”

Henry brushed his lips against her cheek and whispered,”Of course, I would expect nothing less from you my clever Queen.”

Blushing, the Queen of England murmured,”I’ve finally decided on my motto Henry…”

He had started to kiss her neck, and panted while he held her in his arms, his eyes meeting hers,”Is that so?”

Giggling, Eleanor answered him, her voice lilted and haughty,”Magnificent in all things.”

Henry grabbed her by the hips, lifting her up, and grinned,”That describes you quite well… Now are you ready for me to give you a Duke of York?”

She whispered into his ear, giving him all the answer he needed, and so they continued, unaware that there was already a new life growing inside her.

Last edited:
    Chapter 124, June 1522
  • Bridewell Palace, Kingdom of England, June 1522

The Dowager Queen of Naples had found the welcome awaiting her and her children to be a rather splendid one. The staircase that they walked up was a wide one, with the soft carpet, which was well lit by the candles nestled in their tall holders. Giovanna quietly marveled at the design of the building, for unlike many of the older castles and palaces in the land it did not have a great hall. Her stepson, the King, had thought them antiquated, given that he preferred to dine in private, and so this palace, along with all the others he had built, lacked one. While they were waiting to be let in, she had noticed the garlands hanging on the walls outside the Queen’s chambers, and murmured,”Her Majesty seems to be quite happy about something, I wonder what it could be?”

Joanna, to her left, who wore a French hood, green like her dress, over her dark brown hair, suggested,”Perhaps it is because His Majesty has seized Boulogne from the French? So that he might return home in a few months?”

Charles, who stood to the right of his mother smirked,”I think, perhaps, that Her Majesty has received other news that we are not yet privy to…”

Giovanna shrugged her shoulders,”Good guesses my children, but I suppose that we shall soon find out for ourselves.”

The guard who had entered the Queen’s chambers to tell her that they had arrived had come back out, bowing his head in reverence before opening the door for them.

So, the three made their way into the Queen’s chambers in the palace, Giovanna’s children by her side.

The Queen of England sat on a chair by the window adjacent to her bed, a small smile painted on her face.

Giovanna curtseyed,”Your Majesty, we were honored to receive your invitation as you spend the month here. Have you found this new palace to your liking?”

Eleanor dipped her head slightly,”Yes I have. I confess that I was skeptical of the new design, but I find the privacy to my liking.”

In the corner of the room, young Harry, who had been playing with some blocks, looked at the three who had just entered, babbling excitedly.

Henry, the little Prince of Wales quickly toddled over to where her daughter Joanna was standing and hugged the young teen’s leg. Joanna’s eyes lit up with joy and she gently lifted the boy up, laughing,”Oh Harry you sweetheart!”

Holding her nephew in her arms, Joanna tickled his chubby cheeks, and as he giggled she turned towards Eleanor and asked,”Where is Mary? I thought she was going to be here too?”

Eleanor of Austria sighed a little,”Oh she was supposed to be but then she took ill with a chill. You needn’t worry she is a strong girl, I just thought it best that she stay at Eltham so that Harry wouldn’t get sick.”

Kissing her nephew’s cheek lovingly, Joanna said,”I hope she gets well soon then, I hope to see her soon.”

Giovanna placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder,“I am sure you shall soon enough, but as Her Majesty said, it is important that the Prince stays healthy..”

Charles, meanwhile, stood awkwardly as the women talked.

“How is the Baroness Montagu?” Giovanna inquired,”I hear that her confinement will soon be over now that she’s birthed little Thomas.”

Martijna van Honing, who had recovered a month ago from the consumption that had plagued her in the winter months answered,”Doortje is doing just fine, she is fortunate not to have caught ill as I did last December when I had Joan.”

The mother of the van Honing girls, Johanne van Oosterbroek, hummed softly, looking quite proud of her daughters as she put one of Eleanor’s gowns in a dresser, but was otherwise silent, allowing the younger people to talk amongst themselves.

The Queen of England looked over to her, their brown eyes meeting“Now, onto the reason why I invited you here, Giovanna…”

“What is that?” Giovanna of Naples asked

“News from the continent.” Eleanor answered

The Dowager Queen suddenly felt uneasy, fearful of what it was,“It is good I hope?”

“Yes, quite good. The Empress Catherine has given my brother Charles a son several weeks ago. They have named him Phillip, and I have no doubt that the Electors will make him his father’s successor in the Empire, as well as Burgundy.”

“That is lovely!” Giovanna felt jubilant at the news,”I am so proud of my girl, she deserves the best.”

“Indeed, she does.” Eleanor nodded,”Catherine is a lovely young woman, a credit to you and this land.”

Giovanna blushed a little at the praise, and thought, Yes, yes, she is, but Catherine would have been this way no matter what. It is in her nature to be the very best of wives.

Chapter 125, July 1522
  • Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, July 1522

The bird in the cage, a green parrot (1) from the New World, stared at her intently for a moment from his cage.

Pinga!” It squawked at her

Catalina made eye contact with the parrot; his sea-blue eyes unblinking as it stared her down. A small smirk made its way across the woman’s lips, and she turned to where her niece Catarina stood,”Well I can tell this bird spent plenty of time with your mother!”

Catarina of Austria, the fifteen-year-old Queen of Portugal smiled as she finished a stitch of her embroidery,”Yes he did, but Gilberto is normally a good boy. He must be unhappy from all this traveling.”

Catarina had indeed made the trip to Portugal several months before, arriving just as winter had receded with the beginning of February, so perhaps the bird’s attitude was understandable, or that was just the way that he acted all the time. Still, the parrot quieted itself, gnawing the metal bars of his gilded cage with his beak I’m sure that tastes good you silly bird.

A serving girl walked into the room, bringing a small tankard to the Queen of Portugal who silently took it from her.

Looking at the contents of the drink, Catalina rose a brow,”Milk, I thought that you detest milk?”
    Catarina smirked,”Oh I usually do, but I have developed a recent fondness for it.”

Her eyes went wide,”You are with child? Already?”
    “Yes I am, João will be pleased I hope.”
    “Oh of course he will! You’re going to be a mother Catarina, this is so splendid!”

Catarina seemed happy too, though her aunt could see the girl’s shoulders tense a little.

Noting this, she asked,”What is wrong? Is something troubling you?”

The teen shook her head slowly, a slight grimace on her face,”I am just worried, two Queens of Portugal, both of whom were my aunts, died in childbirth. Will the same thing happen to me?”

Catalina of Aragon patted her niece on the shoulder,”You’ll be fine Catarina I promise you. Both of my sisters were not healthy when they died. Isabella fasted too much after her Afonso died, while Maria had birthed many children, too many in a short time. You have no such problems, and I will make sure that you get all the care that you need.”

“You promise?”

“Of course, I will do everything in my power to see that you are healthy here, you deserve nothing less my dear.”

(1) A green parakeet but I doubt they called them parakeets back then

Chapter 126, November 1522
  • Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, November 1522

She stepped a confident foot across the threshold that separated the entrance to her privy chambers and the hallway. The Queen held her hands triumphantly on either side of her growing, round belly as if to show off the growth of her fifth child to the whole world. Eleanor of course would if she could, but she’d settle for the entire court knowing instead. Her husband, no doubt, would be happy when he returned home in the next month, as he had assured her that he would be back from the war in time for Christmas. Her ladies were all behind her, save for Caroljin who was in confinement, also pregnant with Henry’s child. Truth be told Eleanor did not really care, for why should she? Henry had no other mistress, and their son grew stronger by the day, as did the child in her belly. What’s more, Eleanor was the one who had all but pushed Caroljin into her husband’s bed, so if she were to be upset over this, she’d be a hypocrite. Eleanor was in fact grateful that her lady had ensured that Henry wouldn’t be seeing that Boleyn whore anymore and that Caroljin still knew her place as her subordinate. Perhaps Eleanor would see to it that the child would receive a suitable title once it was born. She would after all love to see Bessie Blount’s face when she realized her little bastard would be outranked by a younger brother who was also born out of the marriage bed. In any case, the Queen of England had other matters to attend to as she made her way through the halls of the palace. Chief among these was a meeting with the Spanish Ambassador, Bernardo de Mesa. Her brother, the one whom she had never met, had written to her to ask if she and her husband would be willing to serve as godparents to his second son, also named Ferdinand who had been born in September. Eleanor, of course, would agree. England and Spain were allies against the French after all, and such a gesture would help show that the alliance was as strong as ever. Walking, she mused to herself, He is rather shrewd, no wonder he was named for our grandfather. He made our brother Charles, and the late King of Portugal, along with both their Catherines, godparents to the Prince of Asturias, and now he reaches out to England by asking us to be the godparents of his second son. Of course, both her brothers also worked together well, having seen to the routing of the French at Bicocca, and looted Genoa to make a terrible example of the city to any who would support the French in Italy. Eleanor had learned the Castilian language of course, her aunt Margaret had taught her herself, and so she would be able to carry on the conversation quite well by herself, excellent in all things indeed. Before she could meet Ambassador de Mesa, however, she was shocked to find a rather roguish-looking, burly man ahead of her, accompanied by a number of other disreputable-looking figures.

She knew just who this was, and while she was grateful to see him again dryly thought, Oh for fuck’s sake not this again

The ruffian tipped his green, red-feathered cap before her gracefully,”Tis I, Robin of the Wood and my merry men.”

The woman decided to play along if only to appease the man who had just returned from months of war, her voice haughty,”What is it that you want vile knave? My ladies and I have no desire to be robbed.”

Her husband smirked slyly,”All that I require of you is a kiss milady…”

Eleanor put a hand to her mouth,”A kiss? What kind of a harlot do you think the Queen of England is to kiss strange men who are trapsing about His Majesty’s houses? I love my husband the King and would sooner cut my own throat than dishonor him!”

Henry chuckled and strode closer to her, reaching into the pocket of his green jacket to reveal a small cameo painting of Eleanor that he had always brought with him when he was on campaign, and asked,”Would any man but the King of England have this with him my Queen? Do not fret my most faithful wife, I have returned, and I intend to stay home for the months to come.”

The Queen of England decided not to feign surprise as she had previously, and instead said,”Of course it is you, Your Majesty, no other man possesses such charm and gallantry.”

Her husband grinned and placed a long finger under her chin, stroking it,”Quite right you are my love...Now where is my kiss?”

Eleanor giggled as her husband dipped his head down and kissed him, her lips tugging on his as she pulled away. Their reunion, however, would soon find itself cut short as a young woman sprinted into the hallway, hitching the skirts of her brown gown,”Your Majesty, Your Majesty!” She cried out

The Queen of England was understandably irritated by this, and narrowed her brow,”What is the meaning of this? You do realize that the King has only just returned from campaign, and that he is not to be disturbed?!”

“But Your Majesty, it is important.”

Finally turning around to see the young woman, she saw that it was one of the Caroljin’s lady’s maids, a tall, thin girl of fifteen, and Eleanor suddenly realized what was going on.

Before she could respond, Henry asked,”What is it Martha? Is Mistress Caroljin unwell?”

The teen shook her head, smiling,”No not at all Your Majesty, but she went into labor a couple weeks early, and…” Martha stammered a little before continuing,”Your Majesty has a daughter, and she’s a healthy little girl.”

The King of England nodded his head, clearly happy to hear this,”Thank you for bringing me such happy news. Tell Mistress Caroljin that we’ll name her Bridget, after my aunt, and that I shall come see them both soon.”

Martha curtseyed and quickly walked away, not quite sprinting this time.

Henry turned back to his wife,”I am afraid that I must go my dear.”

Eleanor of Austria moved to follow him, walking behind her husband. As he turned, his eyes wide with surprise she explained,”I’ll go with you, I want to make sure that they are both well. Caroljin has been a dear friend to me, and I must meet Bridget, she's family after all...”

Last edited:
    Chapter 127, January 1523
  • Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, January 1523

Flurries had drifted down around them as Giovanna and her children made to enter the palace. The air, of course, was brutally cold, and for all her years in England, the Dowager was unsure if she’d ever get used to it. In fact, at this moment she had been in England for nearly twenty years, and how much has changed since she first arrived was not lost on her. Her slightly curled hair, once black as night, was now streaked with gray, and there were times when she felt a dull ache in her left knee. Giovanna of Naples was starting to get old, there was no denying that. The woman felt rather wistful as the door from the side street was opened to them, for Anthony would not be at Hertford when they returned. He was, in fact, not even with her right now. Instead, her lover was off in his estate at Letheringham, where he had just wed Elizabeth Vere, sister of the Earl of Oxford. Giovanna was not angry about this; for how could she be when she was the one who arranged the matter? It was a prestigious marriage for Anthony, she loved him dearly and knew this was one of the best ways that she could do right by him. Still, in a better world, Giovanna and Anthony would have been able to marry, rather than be forced to find him a marriage to draw away suspicion from their liaison. There were no regrets for her part in this though, Giovanna was merely doing what would make both of their lives easier, and they planned to see each other soon once she left court again.

Her reverie was broken as her dear friend, Elizabeth Howard, the Countess of Ormond softly cleared her throat,”Your Majesty we have reached the nursery…”

“Oh…” Giovanna blinked; she was so lost in her thoughts that she had forgotten why they had returned to court days after they had left following the end of the Christmas celebrations. With her children behind her and friend at her side, the Dowager Queen entered the clean, well-lit space.

Stepping inside, she observed a heartwarming sight. Her stepson, the King held his tightly swaddled, newborn in his arms as he gently rocked in a rocking chair, an expression of pure joy on his face as he looked down at the child.

“Edward, my Duke of York…” Henry murmured as he watched them enter the room.

“That’s lovely Henry, a lovely name for a lovely Prince.”

Henry nodded,”Indeed it is Madam.”

He then gestured to Joanna, who was standing next to her mother with a cheerful smile on her face,”Would you like to hold him, dear sister?”

The girl nodded eagerly, surprised that he had noticed her”I would love to! Thank you so much Your Majesty!”

As Joanna carefully took her nephew into her arms, Giovanna looked at Henry and asked,”Where is Queen Eleanor? Is she alright?”
    Henry chuckled for a moment as he watched Edward coo at Joanna before turning back to his stepmother,”Eleanor is quite alright, do not worry. She was simply exhausted from the birth, so I took our son to the nursery so that she could sleep.”

“Good, I am very glad that they are both healthy, the two of you deserve such happiness.”

“I confess there were times, in the years without a son, that I doubted her, but now I see I was mistaken, I am very fortunate to have Eleanor as my Queen.”

“As is the whole of England.” Giovanna concurred.

So they would spend the remainder of the day quite happy, for they were all pleased by the arrival of the Duke of York, whose birth ensured that the succession was secure and that Giovanna of Naples and her children would continue to live in the peace that they so enjoyed.

Last edited: