Chapter 115, December 1520
Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, December 1520

Her waters broke early in the morning on Christmas Eve, hours before the sun had even risen.

Catalina of Aragon, Dowager Queen of Portugal lay in the bed, panting as she pushed with all she had.

The woman still wore her black widow’s veil, the rest of her mourning clothes removed for obvious reasons. She clutched her rosary, silently praying as she continued.

“AAAAAAH!” She screamed, it felt like she was being ripped apart, as she pushed harder and harder to try and get her baby out.

The midwives and her ladies were there, all with worry etched on their faces. Childbirth was often dangerous for the women of her family after all, and, Catalina, having just turned thirty-five a week ago, was at an age when it could be particularly deadly.

Beads of sweat covered her forehead and Catalina looked over to her dear friend, Maria de Salinas, who was holding her hand, trying to support her as best she could.

Their eyes met before Catalina tightened her grip on the other woman’s hand, pleading,”Maria, if this gets worse and there is a choice between myself and the baby, save my baby. Don’t let this one die to save me, don’t let my baby die!”

Maria de Salinas nodded, clearly pained at the prospect,”I will obey your wishes as ever Catalina, but I must ask that you promise not to give up.”

“I won’t Maria, I promise.” The Dowager Queen of Portugal replied.

So, she steeled herself, prepared to continue in her struggle, to bring a new life into the world. I will have this child; I do not care if it kills me. Manuel gave me this final gift, and I shall not throw it away for anything.

Catalina of Aragon pushed again, and again, until finally she felt a slippery, wet sensation, and heard the first, shrill cries of her child. The midwife, Teresa Mendes, took the baby, swaddled and cleaned it, as the Dowager Queen sighed in relief. It was over, and she finally, after all these years, had a living child.

Still, while her body wanted to rest, to sleep, her heart, and her mind did not.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” Catalina asked

Teresa, a thin, middle-aged woman with graying black hair smiled widely,”Your Majesty has delivered Portugal a healthy Infanta.”

“The Lord has answered my prayers then. Bring her here so that I can hold her please.”

When the midwife walked over, baby in hand, Catalina’s heart soared. She may have lost her husband, but now she had a reason to live. Cradling her daughter in her arms, Catalina of Aragon cried tears of joy, her baby cooing at her,”Oh my sweet girl, you have your father’s hair.”

It was true, the little Infanta’s fluffy down was dark brown, as Manuel’s had been before it greyed.

Although it was bittersweet, given that her daughter would never meet her father, the Dowager Queen of Portugal focused on how happy she was to finally have a healthy, living child.

Gazing into the Infanta’s eyes, blue just like her mother’s Catalina murmured,“I think I will name you Maria hija, for both my sister and my dearest friend.”

ATL's Maria of Viseu? Nice! Congrats to Catalina and baby, hope Maria lives a long and healthy life and avoids all the childhood illnesses hanging around!

Deleted member 147978

Ribeira Palace, Kingdom of Portugal, December 1520

Her waters broke early in the morning on Christmas Eve, hours before the sun had even risen.

Catalina of Aragon, Dowager Queen of Portugal lay in the bed, panting as she pushed with all she had.

The woman still wore her black widow’s veil, the rest of her mourning clothes removed for obvious reasons. She clutched her rosary, silently praying as she continued.

“AAAAAAH!” She screamed, it felt like she was being ripped apart, as she pushed harder and harder to try and get her baby out.

The midwives and her ladies were there, all with worry etched on their faces. Childbirth was often dangerous for the women of her family after all, and, Catalina, having just turned thirty-five a week ago, was at an age when it could be particularly deadly.

Beads of sweat covered her forehead and Catalina looked over to her dear friend, Maria de Salinas, who was holding her hand, trying to support her as best she could.

Their eyes met before Catalina tightened her grip on the other woman’s hand, pleading,”Maria, if this gets worse and there is a choice between myself and the baby, save my baby. Don’t let this one die to save me, don’t let my baby die!”

Maria de Salinas nodded, clearly pained at the prospect,”I will obey your wishes as ever Catalina, but I must ask that you promise not to give up.”

“I won’t Maria, I promise.” The Dowager Queen of Portugal replied.

So, she steeled herself, prepared to continue in her struggle, to bring a new life into the world. I will have this child; I do not care if it kills me. Manuel gave me this final gift, and I shall not throw it away for anything.

Catalina of Aragon pushed again, and again, until finally she felt a slippery, wet sensation, and heard the first, shrill cries of her child. The midwife, Teresa Mendes, took the baby, swaddled and cleaned it, as the Dowager Queen sighed in relief. It was over, and she finally, after all these years, had a living child.

Still, while her body wanted to rest, to sleep, her heart, and her mind did not.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” Catalina asked

Teresa, a thin, middle-aged woman with graying black hair smiled widely,”Your Majesty has delivered Portugal a healthy Infanta.”

“The Lord has answered my prayers then. Bring her here so that I can hold her please.”

When the midwife walked over, baby in hand, Catalina’s heart soared. She may have lost her husband, but now she had a reason to live. Cradling her daughter in her arms, Catalina of Aragon cried tears of joy, her baby cooing at her,”Oh my sweet girl, you have your father’s hair.”

It was true, the little Infanta’s fluffy down was dark brown, as Manuel’s had been before it greyed.

Although it was bittersweet, given that her daughter would never meet her father, the Dowager Queen of Portugal focused on how happy she was to finally have a healthy, living child.

Gazing into the Infanta’s eyes, blue just like her mother’s Catalina murmured,“I think I will name you Maria hija, for both my sister and my dearest friend.”
Talk about a bittersweet moment for Catalina, I hope she and baby Maria would have a healthy joyful life with each other's company.

Oh, great. I see you have choosen Maria in the end and I will say who this is a fitting name…

And so it goes, Katherine of Aragon has one daughter named Maria. We wish them the best of happiness

So ttl also has Catherine’s sole surviving child being a Mary? History rhymes indeed ;) Welcome to the world Maria

Ah yes, this bit doesn't change
Indeed, I thought Maria would be a perfect Name, after all it was the name of Catalina‘s sister, her closest friend and the virgin Mary, who is a very important figure to her as well. Thank you so much for your well wishes, Catalina and Maria appreciate them 😊

Talk about a bittersweet moment for Catalina, I hope she and baby Maria would have a healthy joyful life with each other's company.
They'll certainly be incredibly close, as she was with her only living child otl, though luckily Catalina is mostly done with hardship here, so she'll have many years with Maria. Also, together they have plenty of other relatives to care for them and keep them company, as we'll see eventually... Thank you!

Chapter 116, February 1521
Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, February 1521

Sitting up in her bed, Eleanor of Austria felt a wave of relief pass over her. The baby was alive, and, as she could tell by its hearty cries, was perfectly healthy. Johanne carried the now cleaned and swaddled child over to her, with a large, toothy smile on her face.

Bending down as she handed the baby to the Queen of England, her Obersthofmeisterin said,”Here he is Your Majesty, I trust His Majesty will be most pleased.”

Taking the squirming Duke of Cornwall into her arms, Eleanor giggled at the child,”Of course, how could he not be. Our son is already strong, I am sure he’ll grow to be a great warrior, much like his father.”

Little Henry cried a little, and so the Queen of England soothed him, presented him with her pointer finger, which her son promptly took into his fist. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing, given how surprisingly tight the newborn’s grip was, but her son was now happy, so she had to be too.

Taking a moment to consider other matters, Eleanor of Austria turned to Johanne and asked,”Has the King been informed yet?”

Johanne nodded her head,”Yes, he should be here very soon.”

“Good.” Eleanor replied. It was a simple answer, perhaps not one that described how she truly felt. She was in fact overjoyed. Henry would be so happy, his love for her was assured now that they had a living son. Not only that but he would, of course, love their son. How could he not, especially when their son resembled him so, save for his small nose, which he had inherited from Eleanor.

She heard her husband’s jolly, booming voice before he had even walked into the room,“I have a son, a son!”

When she saw her husband’s reaction as he came closer, she was not disappointed. The man showered her with kisses, before holding their son for himself.

Standing in the middle of the room, Henry mused,”This little boy will lead England to her full potential one day, I am sure of it…”

Eleanor could only agree with her husband, as she hoped so too. Ideally, he would end up with the best of their qualities, her cunning, and his father’s bravery, and he would be a King that could make the French tremble in fear. Of course, while she wanted this to happen, the Queen of England wanted to focus more on the here and now, and the fact was that she was desperately in need of sleep. As she leaned her back into the pillow, the woman closed her eyes, feeling relieved to finally have a chance to rest, to sleep.