The Empire Parnell Built

Introduction
  • Hello all,

I've been posting a few infoboxes from this TL over on the Infoboxes thread and I think it's got to the stage where there are enough updates to justify its own thread and, frankly, it's getting a bit of a hassle having to remember to link to all the ones in the series whenever I post a new one. People will notice a few similarities with my previous TL the Anglo-Saxon Social Model, which began with Irish Home Rule succeeding and having vast knock on effects. Here, Home Rule comes about in the 1880s but with a few important differences. Unlike ASSM, which really was a Britwank where the 'good guys' won, I want to leave this one a bit more ambiguous about whether it's 'better' than OTL, even if it will still be pretty Britwanky (because why not?).

A lot of this TL is still very much a work in progress (for instance, I've really not decided what I want to do with the USA at all) so updates will come in the form of infoboxes on elections, political parties and 'great men' and without a chronological sequence just yet. Hopefully world maps will pop up soon and maybe some culture updates when I get an idea.

With that in mind, it's worth going over the POD(s) for this again:
    1. Gladstone remains in retirement after 1874. No Midlothian Campaign means a much smaller Liberal majority in 1880 with Hartington as PM and not Gladstone.
    2. The 1885 election leaves the Liberals and Conservatives level-pegging in terms of seats, allowing Parnell to play them off against each other rather than supporting the Liberals.
    3. The Phoenix Park murders are butterflied away so Frederick Cavendish remains the Liberal choice as Chief Secretary for Ireland and Hartington doesn't turn conclusively against Irish nationalism.
    4. The Home Rule bill is prepared by a cross-party commission and ends up effectively recreating Grattan's Parliament (although they don't call it that...), with legislative independence but the London-appointed Chief Secretary and Dublin Castle still having significant influence (although that will change). In practice, Ireland is independent but shares unified executive structures with GB in foreign, trade and migration policy (this was Salisbury's preferred option OTL until the mid-1880s). The cross party nature of the bill means it alienates fewer Liberals and gets the backing of sufficient Conservatives to squeak past the Commons and the Lords.
    5. Ireland and Great Britain remain technically in the UK until that splits apart in 1923. The shared unified structures do remain, however, and develop.

Plan for the TL going forward
  • So, with those boxes out of the way, going forward I'm going to be putting up election and war wiki-boxes but in a generally chronological order. This will (hopefully) keep the narrative suspenseful while also meaning this remains very much a maps and graphics TL. With that in mind, these are the countries I will be focusing on:

British Empire
    • Great Britain (1880 onwards)
    • Ireland (1887 onwards)
    • India (1919 onwards)
    • Canada (1921 onwards)
    • South Africa (1948 onwards)

Europe
    • France (1874 onwards)
    • Germany (1917 onwards)
    • Russia (1918 onwards)
    • Habsburg Empire (1919 onwards)

Asia
    • China (1904-5 onwards)
    • Palestine (1936 onwards)
    • Japan (1945 onwards)

Americas
    • Brazil (1889 onwards)
    • Argentina (1889 onwards)
    • United States (1912 onwards - yes this is another 'Teddy wins in 1912' TL but it gets odd pretty fast)

Africa
    • Angola (1933 onwards)
    • Kongo (1946 onwards)
    • Mali (1957 onwards)
    I won't just be covering them, of course, but they're the main countries where I'll posting infoboxes on their leaders, elections, referendums, revolutions etc. Maps will be sprinkled throughout, as relevant.

Countries of the World
  • So since I last was on here I've been working on a wikipedia-style list of the countries of the world and their basic info, which supersedes the info provided in earlier lists (here, here, here, here, here and here). There aren't many changes but the big one has been a substantial upward revision of Russian GDP.

I've put it in a PDF rather than doing my old habit with screenshots, which I hope works for everyone. I'll look to kick up a world map on MapChart some time this week and then call it a day on this one (other than answering any questions anyone has).

Link to PDF: Countries of the World

(I think I've set it so people can't edit or comment on the PDF but it goes without saying that I'd be grateful if people don't alter the doc without getting my permission first...)

Last edited:
    Largest Military Expenditures, 2022
  • For those of you wondering about comparative military spending, here's an updated list of military expenditures as of 2022, which supersedes the one I posted a while back.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 07.18.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 07.18.47.png

Last edited:
    World's Highest Military Expenditures, 2020 [OLD]
  • List Top 15 Defence Budgets 2020 prepared by the Royal Institute of International Affairs in February 2021.

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 15.25.33.png

Nuclear-armed states
  • Because I was listening to a documentary about the Manhattan Project this morning, here's a quick and dirty list of nuclear-armed states as of January 2022. I might have to amend it later but this is canon for now.

Image 09-10-2021 at 14.41.jpeg

Map: Africa 1918
  • A quick and dirty map of Africa after the Treaty of Lemberg ended the Wilhelmite Wars. I got the labelling of French West Africa and French Algeria the wrong way round but everything else should be correct. As you can see, the negotiations at Lemberg were also a good opportunity for the British and the Germans to make some minor fiddling with the borders of Kamerun and Togoland.

As a minor point, the territories listed below as Accra and Lagos are formally governed as the single Gold Coast Colony but they are de facto administered separately for obvious practical reasons.

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 10.58.12.png