The Empire Parnell Built

This timeline seems better if you are Indian or South American. Even the Arab World is better off. At least some parts of Africa are better. And Britain is wealthy as fuck.

America has slightly lower living standards but on the other hand it is still “the land of opportunity” with many wanting to immigrate there badly.

But a lot of Europe…holy shit. The age of European innovation is certainly over. I could see people TTL see the late 19th century as a “golden age” of the continent. And then people on forums online for althistory may be asking “what went wrong?” like they do about South America in our world.

This also will likely make political extremism more popular in Europe.

So, Gomes dictatorship lasted 40 years? In what age he took power, 30-35, as Castro did?
So I have him coming to power in late 1952, when he would have been 38. So definitely on the young side but not completely impossible in a military oligarchy where the 'old guard' has just been embarrassed on the international stage, I think.
This timeline seems better if you are Indian or South American. Even the Arab World is better off. At least some parts of Africa are better. And Britain is wealthy as fuck.

America has slightly lower living standards but on the other hand it is still “the land of opportunity” with many wanting to immigrate there badly.

But a lot of Europe…holy shit. The age of European innovation is certainly over. I could see people TTL see the late 19th century as a “golden age” of the continent. And then people on forums online for althistory may be asking “what went wrong?” like they do about South America in our world.

This also will likely make political extremism more popular in Europe.
Oh yeah, I imagine TTL's Althistory will be full of threads beginning "Did you know that in 1900 France had the same GDP per capita as Brazil! What happened?" and then lots of people replying: "Well, if you really look closely at France's prosperity its base was very thin and Europe's time was past anyway."

So I have him coming to power in late 1952, when he would have been 38. So definitely on the young side but not completely impossible in a military oligarchy where the 'old guard' has just been embarrassed on the international stage, I think.

Oh yeah, I imagine TTL's Althistory will be full of threads beginning "Did you know that in 1900 France had the same GDP per capita as Brazil! What happened?" and then lots of people replying: "Well, if you really look closely at France's prosperity its base was very thin and Europe's time was past anyway."
On the topic of Brazil given it was once a “competitive oligarchy” could Japan/Korea and other “Asian tigers” kinda have some similarities?

Japan OTL had zaibatsu which were later essentially rebranded as Keiretsu. While their influence has diminished Japanese politics can be…interesting with parties still linked to some and also “new religious groups” playing an outsized role in politics.

Likewise Hong Kong has had the “four big families” historically okay a major role.

Korea has also had the Chaebol corporate oligarchys.

Today, 2 of these have transitioned into successful democracies yet the oligarchic elements still remain with the last having democracy taken due to outside intervention.

Also, while not ideal politically imo, Brazil seems like a pretty decent place to live TTL. Are they better with protecting the Amazon TTL with less economic incentive to destroy it?

Brazil: 1951 election
Brazil 1951.PNG

But, seriosly. TTL we had VERY WEALTHY British Empire with 2 billion population (with very hight standarts of life, I think). How much energy, water and other resourses they consume? And how does it affect the environment ?

Who are the Individualists?
Basically they're the OTL business republicans who are a bit sick of the party being taken over by those eastern establishment moderates and WASPs... They're basically libertarians but at the time people like William F. Buckley called themselves "individualists" and I thought the name was kind of cool...

But, seriosly. TTL we had VERY WEALTHY British Empire with 2 billion population (with very hight standarts of life, I think). How much energy, water and other resourses they consume? And how does it affect the environment ?
All will be revealed (although the answer to this is something that you can read Ministry of Space to find out...)

You wrote of the factionalist differences between western and eastern republicans and northern and southern democrats. Are these two parties heading to some full party splits along the way or it's too soon to tell us?
Well the GOP ran two different presidential candidates in 1952...

Territorially, it consists of OTL Jakarta, West Java and Banten (more or less). After the national revolutions in Europe during the Nine Years War, the Dutch royal family fled to their colony in the Dutch East Indies and they put together a coalition of what's left of their military plus local economic interests to carve out a quasi-democratic oligarchy which persists to this day. (The rest of OTL Indonesia is now independent in a bunch of different states.) Officially it's still called the 'Kingdom of the Netherlands' and the state's official policy is that they intend to reclaim their throne in Europe but in practice it's almost universally referred to as 'Pasundan' so as not to confuse it with the Republic of the Netherlands in Europe.

I wouldn't really call Brazil a social democracy just yet. It's really more of a former competitive oligarchy limping its way into democracy: things are looking decent at this point but all sides are still nervously looking at the other and not fully trusting them.

You're definitely right on Russia: I don't think we can underestimate the extent to which the Bolshevik Revolution OTL (i.e. adopting a European Enlightenment philosophy as its governing ideology) was a real 'Westernising' moment for Russia. Arguably the culmination of all the 'modernising' initiatives in Russia since Peter the Great - albeit in a bit of a weird way. In its absence, I think it's kind of fun to imagine a revolutionary Russia going down a slightly bizarre slavophille route.

On China, I think I might fiddle with their economic stats a bit. I had in mind more it being like the OTL Soviet Union - enormous economy with plenty of raw materials and heavy industry but very picky with its trading partners - than the OTL PRC.
So what happened to java and bali then? I can see they are in a sort of a federation or union alongside maybe the nusa tenggara islands

So what happened to java and bali then? I can see they are in a sort of a federation or union alongside maybe the nusa tenggara islands
Bali is its own weird little federation and the rest of Java is divided into an expanded Yogakarta Sultanate and a federation. Borneo is divided into various sultanates; Sumatra is a single federation; Sulawesi and the Sunda Islands are in another federation together; Papua and West Papua are part of a wider Melanesian Federation. As you can see, these are kind of based on the proposed states for the OTL United States of Indonesia in 1945, with a few tweaks. This represents that there were still significant anti-colonialist forces without the influence of nationalism and communism in the same way.

All of these countries TTL are considered part of Oceania rather than Asia, so they'll show up when I do lists of economies for that continent at some point.