Status
Not open for further replies.
While President for Life Rockefeller did help, the whole "beat the ever loving shit out of the South until it's dead, then shoot it again just for good measure" did a lot to curb the rise of the OTL modern American conservative movement. While Conservatism in America is still alive and well, it's less religious and more focus on things like civil participation, individual liberties, less government intervention (economy, taxes, regulations), an embrace of capitalism, slow pragmatic change, and adherence to the institutions of law and order (not the dog whistle kind - actual enforcement of the law in regards to contracts and such and the establishment of police forces to keep the peace).

It's not quite Libertarian in nature, but it means more towards that side than say, the religious right.
So did President Kassenbaum legalise Gay Marriage?

VT45

Banned
IOTL, parts of Canada drove on the left side of the road into the 1940s. Was that ever the case in New England? How did the switch happen?

@Kanan a while ago you said that there was no Maggie - if there's no Maggie then what is Britain like in the 1980s music, film and TV wise? Are there still the hit comedies of things like 'Allo 'Allo?

Miss, I'm gonna have to ask you to get out of my head.

;)

It's not even a personal preference pet peeve of mine for the timeline. It's just what I consider the natural progression of events from the Civil War on.

What TV stations does Oswego have?

Like any other New England town, it gets NECN and BBC New England as part of the television fee. They can also get U.S. TV stations. Many stations from Quebec and the Maritimes are also broadcast in Oswego, considering Adirondack is a 70% Francophone province. There is no local programming, much of that comes from Watertown, Adirondack.

So did President Kassenbaum legalise Gay Marriage?

Legalisation happened under President Jerry Brown.

IOTL, parts of Canada drove on the left side of the road into the 1940s. Was that ever the case in New England? How did the switch happen?

New England developed with left-hand traffic, but it switched over to the right in Long Island after the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge. The proximity of Connecticut to the population centres of New York and New Jersey also facilitated its switch by the turn of the century (all before motor traffic became really common, mind you). With Connecticut swapping over, Rhode Island did the same followed by Plymouth. At this point, the government mandated in the 1910s that all motor traffic and streets facilitate right-hand traffic.

@Kanan a while ago you said that there was no Maggie - if there's no Maggie then what is Britain like in the 1980s music, film and TV wise? Are there still the hit comedies of things like 'Allo 'Allo?

I really can't speak on it. I haven't done any research on 1980s Britain so I don't want to come off as wholly ignorant :)

'Allo 'Allo I can confirm does not exist (much to my chagrin, I loved that show). A similar one most likely exists stemming from the Commonwealth occupation of Germany. It would probably play on the tropes of German communists vs republicans vs national monarchists, added in with the British occupation forces. It would probably also play on the stereotypes of Canadians and New Englanders.

I know this thread is about New England, but I really am interested in TTLs US and would love to get more info on it, especially Virginia and Deseret. I suppose that goes to show how believable you've made this world. Really, really great work here @Kanan

While President for Life Rockefeller did help, the whole "beat the ever loving shit out of the South until it's dead, then shoot it again just for good measure" did a lot to curb the rise of the OTL modern American conservative movement. While Conservatism in America is still alive and well, it's less religious and more focus on things like civil participation, individual liberties, less government intervention (economy, taxes, regulations), an embrace of capitalism, slow pragmatic change, and adherence to the institutions of law and order (not the dog whistle kind - actual enforcement of the law in regards to contracts and such and the establishment of police forces to keep the peace).

It's not quite Libertarian in nature, but it means more towards that side than say, the religious right.

My black shriveled neocon heart just grew three sizes imagining a world like this.

Speaking of conservatism, what ended up happening with the Canadian election? No coalition between the east and west conservatives after that split I'd imagine.

My black shriveled neocon heart just grew three sizes imagining a world like this.

Speaking of conservatism, what ended up happening with the Canadian election? No coalition between the east and west conservatives after that split I'd imagine.

sorry been kinda out of it lately so haven't been able to do anything with the tl. hopefully i'll get something out soon

CBC News: 06/29/2018
cFMxbkz.png

Ah, so there remains some hope for the Commonwealth. That said, I daresay the issue might not be pressed when the government is so reliant on parties opposed to one another on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.