Status
Not open for further replies.

Gian

Banned
Well, I'm most certainly a Filipino-New Englander living in Beverly, Massachusetts Bay in this world, so my vote is in as well (First choice goes to the Pine Tree flag, beacuse why not)

ST15RM

Banned
Well, since i already am a new englander i guess the only difference between this world and OTL is i’m in mass bay instead of massachusetts

Ethnic Map of New England
5wn106a.png

wow remember when I used to do things other than just old elections? haha yeah, me neither

Presumably this has already been addressed, but there are a lot of pages to sift through now...

Why are New Brunswick and Nova Scotia so underpopulated?

I did not expect to see this many pages emerge from the binders full of lore in a single day!

You and me both

As @VT45 suggested earlier, @Kanan probably has them all done already.

Much to the chagrin of my patreon subscribers, you all get them pretty much hot off the press.

I did not see that coming

You'll be saying that a lot as the elections progress

Also these historical elections are the best thing since whoopi pies

As not a big fan of whoopi pies I agree. The electoral maps are a pain in the butt

It will be interesting to see how the results progress...

Glad you like them!

The invention of which is such a contentious subject that it prompted a war between New England and the United States.

And New England won, because the British Empire has more aircraft carriers and the secret Canadian WMD programme nuked Detroit.

To this day, some Detroiters believe it was an improvement.

Would he really still be named Lafayette Foster ITTL?

While New England stayed loyal, not everyone in the colonies supported the British. His parents were, by chance, some of the few loyalists who did not depart for the United States. So they passive aggressively named their son after the famous Lafayette.

Yeah, they never actually get into govenrment if you look at the list PMs.

Sssh!!! Spoilers!

Has New England experienced an increase in the number of early voters in recent years?

Not by much, but it has been a modest step each election.

I have cast my vote in the referendum. For the purposes of role-playing, I am a Welsh-New Englander, living in Long Island.

Actually, @Kanan - how many New Englanders identify as having a Scottish and Welsh heritage, and where do they live? The previous ethnic heritage wikiboxes only listed "British" New Englanders.

Come to think of it, does New England have a high German immigrant population, or did they mostly go to the US?

Hopefully the ethnic map answers some of your questions. There are very few Welsh New Englanders. There isn't really any large concentration of them like the other ethnic groups.

Germans primarily settled on (both sides) of the Mohawk Valley.

Yes, but, with New England still part of the Empire, why wouldn't Welsh people settle there as well?

According to Wikipedia, there were 458,705 Canadians claiming Welsh ancestry in their census in 2011. No reason why a portion of those couldn't be New Englanders ITTL.

Again, pretty spread out. Maybe 30k total in the entire country?

I just got back from New England yesterday that sort of counts. :p I guess I'll just count myself as being from Haverhill since that's where I spent all my time. Whoo.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Yay, another Liberal government. :cool:

And, damn, that is a lot of multi-seat constituencies. I like.

That makes you the first person in 1860s New England who likes them

Well, since i already am a new englander i guess the only difference between this world and OTL is i’m in mass bay instead of massachusetts

Do you speak French? Most residents of Massachusetts Bay outside of the actual City of Boston are bilingual.

Presumably this has already been addressed, but there are a lot of pages to sift through now...

Why are New Brunswick and Nova Scotia so underpopulated?

They aren't. Nova Scotia has about 950k people, and New Brunswick has about 800k people.

They aren't. Nova Scotia has about 950k people, and New Brunswick has about 800k people.
Damn, really? They look so empty on all the town maps you've posted! I'm guessing either the population is concentrated in the major cities (Halifax, Moncton, Saint John) or many populated regions remain unincorporated?

What are the most popular movies in this world? Anything as close to Star Wars or the MCU? Greatest classics or films never made?

Just some completely out of the blue questions

What proportion of the population do Italian Lybians make up in Lybia?
What states in the USA Prohibit gay marriage and what countries across the world have legalised it?
Are we going to get a bit more information on the UK and their elections?
Whats Angela Merkel up to?
Who is the leader of the Australian Labor Party?
What was that West Floridian special election mentioned a few months ago?
And I know its a very big as but is there a possibility of a list of world leaders or anything similar to?

Just out of curiosity.

Just realized ITTL right now I’m an American, visiting an American School I’ll be addending in the fall (and visiting my now-fiancé) and I’m staying at a hotel on the New England side of the river! That might be a small qualm I have with the ethnicity map, if Oswego is still a college town on the American side then I’d expect at least one or two neighboring towns to have an American background.

Well, if French is taught in schools like Spanish is, then oui, je parle Français.

For the most part. It depends on which one you would have gone to. Schools are done at the town level, and Provinces only give a general direction on the curriculum.

There is no national standard, or national education department.

Damn, really? They look so empty on all the town maps you've posted! I'm guessing either the population is concentrated in the major cities (Halifax, Moncton, Saint John) or many populated regions remain unincorporated?

There's a lot of populated areas that are just not incorporated. New Brunswick especially has about half the population who live in rural communities. Many of these are Acadian communities, who really don't have much of a need for a town's system of government. Much of it is provided at the county or provincial level. Or they just... make due.

(There's a reason why Acadian life expectancy rates are lower than their southern Anglo counterparts)

What are the most popular movies in this world? Anything as close to Star Wars or the MCU? Greatest classics or films never made?

putting a pin in this one, it's something I'd like to go into but I don't have any ideas right now.

Any chance you can post a wikibox about Italian-New English citizens?

How so? I am unsure of what it would have other than the info the current one has.

Just some completely out of the blue questions

What proportion of the population do Italian Lybians make up in Lybia?
What states in the USA Prohibit gay marriage and what countries across the world have legalised it?
Are we going to get a bit more information on the UK and their elections?
Whats Angela Merkel up to?
Who is the leader of the Australian Labor Party?
What was that West Floridian special election mentioned a few months ago?
And I know its a very big as but is there a possibility of a list of world leaders or anything similar to?

Just out of curiosity.

Libya: probably 15-20%
Gay marriage is fully legal across the United States. It was legalised in the 1990s.
Soon™
College professor
Jason Clare
House of Representatives
Spoilers ;)

Just realized ITTL right now I’m an American, visiting an American School I’ll be addending in the fall (and visiting my now-fiancé) and I’m staying at a hotel on the New England side of the river! That might be a small qualm I have with the ethnicity map, if Oswego is still a college town on the American side then I’d expect at least one or two neighboring towns to have an American background.

Keep in mind New England and the United States don't have open borders! The only reason there's American ancestry in New England is because it's a bunch of people who work in New York have emigrated to New England for lower taxes (that worked out so well for them in the long run) while still being able to commute into the Tri-City Region. This is a relatively new population group and Statistics New England only begrudgingly tracks it.

As for Oswego... This is New England's major port on Lake Ontario! Sleepy college town American Oswego only has about 8 thousand people who live there. The New England side of the river is a bustling city of thirty thousand people! A couple American college kids can't really overcome that, though they will cross the border to take advantage of New England's lower drinking age. Unlike the Tri-City Region, there are no simple border crossings here. Keep in mind New England controls the canal to the Hudson! American trade never really took off in the area, it was dominated by the British. (Which is why New York never grew powerful enough to gobble everything up quicker). New York still became a major centre of population due to the railroads and the continued use of the Hudson (the British only dampened the growth, not totally stopped it).

The canal is still in use today, and it facilities Canadian trade with New England. It will first enter the port of Oswego and either continue on to Albany or be loaded onto New England's railway system from there (depends on the final destination). With Oswego also serving as the port of exit for New England goods, it maintains a strong and vibrant economy that the American side simply doesn't have. It's somewhat analogous to the Sault Ste. Marie situation (The Canadian side is bigger and more important than the American side).

Gay marriage is fully legal across the United States. It was legalised in the 1990s.

Wow, you got rid of the most liberal states IOTL and yet ATL social progression in the United States is 20 years ahead of OTL.

Thank Ashley for President Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller.

upload_2018-6-25_22-57-0.png

Wow, you got rid of the most liberal states IOTL and yet ATL social progression in the United States is 20 years ahead of OTL.

Thank Ashley for President Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller.

View attachment 394057

While President for Life Rockefeller did help, the whole "beat the ever loving shit out of the South until it's dead, then shoot it again just for good measure" did a lot to curb the rise of the OTL modern American conservative movement. While Conservatism in America is still alive and well, it's less religious and more focus on things like civil participation, individual liberties, less government intervention (economy, taxes, regulations), an embrace of capitalism, slow pragmatic change, and adherence to the institutions of law and order (not the dog whistle kind - actual enforcement of the law in regards to contracts and such and the establishment of police forces to keep the peace).

It's not quite Libertarian in nature, but it means more towards that side than say, the religious right.

As for Oswego... This is New England's major port on Lake Ontario! Sleepy college town American Oswego only has about 8 thousand people who live there. The New England side of the river is a bustling city of thirty thousand people! A couple American college kids can't really overcome that, though they will cross the border to take advantage of New England's lower drinking age. Unlike the Tri-City Region, there are no simple border crossings here. Keep in mind New England controls the canal to the Hudson! American trade never really took off in the area, it was dominated by the British. (Which is why New York never grew powerful enough to gobble everything up quicker). New York still became a major centre of population due to the railroads and the continued use of the Hudson (the British only dampened the growth, not totally stopped it).

The canal is still in use today, and it facilities Canadian trade with New England. It will first enter the port of Oswego and either continue on to Albany or be loaded onto New England's railway system from there (depends on the final destination). With Oswego also serving as the port of exit for New England goods, it maintains a strong and vibrant economy that the American side simply doesn't have. It's somewhat analogous to the Sault Ste. Marie situation (The Canadian side is bigger and more important than the American side).

They must have a massive winter storm budget, @Kanan (IOTL, Oswego is one of the snowiest places in the country, due to lake effect snow)...

They must have a massive winter storm budget, @Kanan (IOTL, Oswego is one of the snowiest places in the country, due to lake effect snow)...

Luckily, despite their proclivity for the German language, the provincial government assists with the cost due to the importance of the port, the canal, and associated facilities.

While President for Life Rockefeller did help, the whole "beat the ever loving shit out of the South until it's dead, then shoot it again just for good measure" did a lot to curb the rise of the OTL modern American conservative movement. While Conservatism in America is still alive and well, it's less religious and more focus on things like civil participation, individual liberties, less government intervention (economy, taxes, regulations), an embrace of capitalism, slow pragmatic change, and adherence to the institutions of law and order (not the dog whistle kind - actual enforcement of the law in regards to contracts and such and the establishment of police forces to keep the peace).

Miss, I'm gonna have to ask you to get out of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.