Hail, Britannia

What are rights for different minorities (ethnic, gender, sexual, romantic) like in this world? Have they generally progressed more or less?
I'd imagine with a strong multiethnic Britain as the worlds foremost power that ethnic minority rights would be stronger then OTL.

I've been on this site for a year and I'm trying to work out how in hell I've missed this timeline. It's staggering. I do like an enlightened Britwank, having thoroughly enjoyed Rattigan's Anglo Saxon Social Model so now I have this world to revel in too! Thank you!

I'm still working my way through it and in a roundabout way, I found an infobox on TTL's Scotland. I was wondering if there's an equivalent to Wales?

I've been on this site for a year and I'm trying to work out how in hell I've missed this timeline. It's staggering. I do like an enlightened Britwank, having thoroughly enjoyed Rattigan's Anglo Saxon Social Model so now I have this world to revel in too! Thank you!

I'm still working my way through it and in a roundabout way, I found an infobox on TTL's Scotland. I was wondering if there's an equivalent to Wales?
Genuinely quite touched to be mentioned in the same breath as this TL... Thanks

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Is it relatively rare in the 21st century for hereditary peers to take an active role in politics? Who are some examples of active hereditary peers?
Huh, that's fewer than I might've thought. The only original hereditary peerage I remember is the Trudeau being the Earls of Saint-Rémi.

Rare but not unheard of. Justin Trudeau is the 2nd Earl of Saint-Rémi, and an active MIP. The Kennedys are the Duke of Barnstable, and JFK and Caroline (3rd and 5th respectively) were/are both politically active. Bush Sr was Earl Bush of Kennebunkport.

WRT there being fewer peerages than perhaps would be expected, I'm chalking this up to a more egalitarian, less aristocratic slant to the British government and establishment owing to the inclusion of America and Australia. Although the former is still home to a majority of British peerages, mainly on the East Coast.

Also, what did the following people get up to in this TL: Peter Carrington, David Owen, Michael Foot, David Davis, Peter Mandelson, George Galloway, Stanley, Boris, and Jo Johnson, and Emmanuel Macron?

Carrington was a a Conservative politician and diplomat. He never served in Cabinet, but was a key British Commonwealth figure in the negotiation of the Bulawayo Agreement that ended the Rhodesian Bush War. He later served as the secretary general of the Common Defence Pact in the late 1980s.

Owen - English politician, split from the English Labour party to lead the Social Democrats that absorbed the rump Labour party in 1990. Now a life peer in the English House of Lords.

Foot - English politician who presided over the disintegration of the English Labour party into Labour, the Social Democrats and the Co-operative Party.

Davis - longtime backbench member of the Imperial Parliament.

Mandelson - longtime Imperial Social Democratic politician. Served as Secretary of State for Industry and Commerce in the Bush Jr Cabinet. Now a life member of the Imperial Council of Lords.

Galloway - leader of the London branch of the Respect party, and member of the London Assembly for Bethnal Green and Bow.

The Johnson family I want to cover in more detail at some point. Boris never goes into politics and remains a journalist. Jo is a rising star in English politics as is Rachel but in different parties. Stanley was briefly a member of the Imperial Parliament.

Macron - incumbent President of the European Commission.

What's the division of powers like between imperial, federal and state entities (where they exist)? I'd imagine foreign relations, trade, military and finance (setting interest rates and the like). Product standards?

What would go to a federal parliament that wouldn't be the purview of a state? Healthcare maybe?

Foreign relations, trade, military and broad matters of finance. The imperial parliament generally sets basic standards on most legislative areas. Education was historically a dominion power, until it was centralised under Trudeau. Dominions retain control over health, various finance areas, agriculture, transport, fisheries, infrastructure and have some ability for foreign relations in their local area (i.e. Jamaica and Florida can negotiate with Cuba; Hong Kong with China etc.) but all of this only within the standards set by the imperial parliament.

The powers of states and provinces varies in dominions. In places like Australia, Canada and Missouri the subdivisions have jurisdiction over many public goods such as health care, education, welfare, and intra-provincial transportation, whereas in New England the provinces have fewer powers, with significant powers over law enforcement and welfare retained by the federal parliament.

I'd like to know more about the Texan and Californian navies. What sort of naming conventions do they use? Are their ships built in Britain, or do they have their own shipbuilding industries?

Both countries have their own shipbuilding industries, but there are a lot of shared designs and specs between the three countries.

The Royal Californian Navy uses the prefix ARC - Navy of the Kingdom of the Californias (Armada del Reino de las Californias).

The Texan Navy uses the prefix RTNS - Republic of Texas Naval Ship.

What are rights for different minorities (ethnic, gender, sexual, romantic) like in this world? Have they generally progressed more or less?
I'd imagine with a strong multiethnic Britain as the worlds foremost power that ethnic minority rights would be stronger then OTL.

Depends where you are in the world. LGBTQ+ rights are generally more progressive in the Commonwealth, but the rest of Africa, Asia and the Arab world are the same as OTL. Ethnic relations are still problematic across the globe; British America has similar (if smaller in scale) problems to OTL [plus don't even mention the clusterf**k that Louisiana was and could erupt into again], then there's the widespread ethnic violence in Nigeria and problems in Ethiopia.

Genuinely quite touched to be mentioned in the same breath as this TL... Thanks

High praise indeed thank you :)

No Wales infobox yet I'm afraid... I keep getting side tracked.

What are the most interesting/noteworthy parts of the Ohio Country? Asking as that region is highly contested between TTL and the Affilated States of Boreoamerica's Upper Country, Illinois, Ohio, and Upper Connecticut.

Either Indiana, which is majority Mestee (a creole people of mixed European and Aboriginal descent), or Detroit State where the Muskrat French language and community is the majority.

Last edited:
Hopefully we can avoid TERF Island ITTL...
We can only hope.

Something neat that wouldn't require making an entire article about it would be to have some OTL trans people pop up in slightly more prominent roles. Stuff like Elliot Page listed as one of the new Companions for the latest Doctor Who season or Danica Roem listed as a party leader in the next Virginian general elections.

Infanta María Dominica of Santo Domingo

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hopefully we can avoid TERF Island ITTL...
cursed terf empire
Oh god no.
We can only hope.

Something neat that wouldn't require making an entire article about it would be to have some OTL trans people pop up in slightly more prominent roles. Stuff like Elliot Page listed as one of the new Companions for the latest Doctor Who season or Danica Roem listed as a party leader in the next Virginian general elections.

I hope this might help shed some light on this. I don't want to cause any offence in this, so if there is any aspect of this that needs changing please let me know:

rd293tC.png

falUC5q.png
Infanta María Dominica of Santo Domingo (María Dominica Isabel de Borbón-Dominica y de Borbón-Braganza; born 22 May 1966), known professionally as Maria Dominica, is a former member of the Dominican royal family, the third daughter of King Juan Carlos II of Santo Domingo and his wife, Infanta Elena of Argentina, and the younger sister of Queen Isabel III. Since 1991 she has lived in exile in New York where she works as a journalist, columnist, writer and LGBTQ activist.

Born in 1966 at the Royal Palace of San Felipe, the country retreat of the Dominican royal family, Maria Dominica was the third of four children born to the Prince and Princess of Cibao. Raised with her siblings at various royal residences by private tutors, the young infanta experienced little of the outside world until she entered secondary school in the Dominican capital Ciudad Isabel in 1980. Studying journalism at Queen's College, New York in the late 1980s, Maria Dominica became involved with various New York newspapers and worked with the Stonewall charity.

According to her autobiography, published in 2000, it was during her time in New York that she first came to terms with her sexuality, coming out to her close friends, but did not tell her parents or family. In December 1990, Maria Dominica was photographed leaving a gay bar. The publication of the photo in newspapers caused a scandal in Santo Domingo, a deeply conservative and religious country, resulting in her father ordering her to return. Maria Dominica would later write that the conversations with her parents and siblings were some of the hardest in her life, with her mother and sisters were supportive. However, her father's devout Catholic faith, alongwith widespread public opposition in Santo Domingo, led to the revokation of her royal status, removal from the line of succession and exile from the country.

Returning to New York, Maria Dominica began writing for the Manhattan Times newspaper as a columnist, while also working as an LGBT activist. Despite being approached numerous times to write a "tell all story" about her early life, she has favoured personal privacy, and her numerous articles, books and 2000 autobiography have avoided any criticism of her family or the Dominican people. In 2007, after a decade long relationship, Maria Dominica married Juliette Trilsbeek, a Dutch-Columbian school teacher who is a trans-woman, in a private ceremony. Following the accession of her sister to the Dominican throne in 2010, the pair have corresponded frequently and when Queen Isabel III visited New York in 2013 the pair met for the first time in two decades.

Despite improving attitudes towards LGBTQ people in Santo Domingo, Maria Dominica has not set foot in her home country since 1991. A prominent and well-known LGBTQ activist, her writings and campaigning has covered numerous areas, including the history of feminism, gender identity in the modern world, LGBTQ rights in Latin America, and her 2017 high profile rejection of trans-exclusionary radical feminism in The Economist. A longtime writer at the Manhattan Times, she has also appeared in documentaries, chat shows, news programmes, and a well-received appearance on the British satircal show Have I Got News For You in 2019.

Photo is of Ana Torrent

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
What's the HB universe's equivalent of the Florida Man?

Maybe Lousiana Man?

I feel Lousiana has similar conditions ITTL to those that gave rise to Florida Man - very diverse population and public records laws giving journalists fast and easy access to police reports.

Maybe Lousiana Man?

I feel Lousiana has similar conditions ITTL to those that gave rise to Florida Man - very diverse population and public records laws giving journalists fast and easy access to police reports.

That reminds me; does Florida have the same reputation for breakneck development and being the ultimate retirement destination?

I hope this might help shed some light on this. I don't want to cause any offence in this, so if there is any aspect of this that needs changing please let me know:

No offense whatsoever; this is quite neat!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
That reminds me; does Florida have the same reputation for breakneck development and being the ultimate retirement destination?

It has the same reputation for breakneck development. But not for being the ultimate reitrement destination - owing to the fact that it is Spanish-speaking so you don't get a lot of Anglophone retirees, except in the west along the English-speaking Gulf Coast.

No offense whatsoever; this is quite neat!

Thanks :) I was inspired bit by some Star Trek infoboxes from years ago which were a combination of LGBTQ and "Royals who do something". I thought it was quite interesting :)

It has the same reputation for breakneck development. But not for being the ultimate reitrement destination - owing to the fact that it is Spanish-speaking so you don't get a lot of Anglophone retirees, except in the west along the English-speaking Gulf Coast.
Come to think of it, where is retiree-central for the North American bits of Britain ITTL?

Georgia?

Come to think of it, where is retiree-central for the North American bits of Britain ITTL?

Georgia?

It honestly wouldn't shock me if there are more British Americans buying condos in Gold Coast or what have you, given the relative ease of travel. And now I'm wondering about how urban design would differ ITTL. Hm... there's a lot to chew on there. HOPEFULLY it'd be less hideous postwar than OTL.