Hail, Britannia

It's a region that I have put a lot of time and work into, so I'm very excited for the response. Chechnya, Dagestan and Pontus and de facto independent states backed by Russia (C&D) and Turkiye & France (P) that broke away in the 1990s Transcaucasia Crisis. The situation is comparable to Abkhazia/South Ossetia, with a mix of Northern Cyprus and Kosovo (in the case of Pontus). Britain doesn't recognise any of them as independent, but they are shown on the map to reflect the de facto situation on the gound (hence the dotted lines).
Oh, very interesting!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
You have no clue how excited I am for this TL's return.

Trebizond has had a Muslim majority since the 1690s otl. I wonder if there's a diarchy in place?

So… part of my assumption about the viable of a Greek majority Pontus are:
  1. The Ottoman census data that I have access to seemed to only record religion. So like the OTL Cretan Muslims it’s possible that there is a not inconsequential ethnic Greek population who would stay and/or convert.
  2. A slightly better Greek genocide in TTLs WW1 leads to a larger surviving population.
  3. Population exchanges in the 1920s, 30s and 40s leading to more ethnically homogenous regions.

Oh, very interesting!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Great map! I just have one question- what is Yeraskhan? I've search up the name of the internet and it only yielded the town of Yeraskh in Armenia. Is it an alternate name for the Nakhchivan region?

Thank you :D high praise indeed from you!

So Yerashkhan is based on an old Armenian name for the Aras river (I missed the town <facepalm>). It's a legacy of some... unsavoury language and cultural policies against the Turkish population of the region (bordering on linguicide and culturicide - though this is debated ITTL) within the TDFR due to an one-sided antagonistic relationship with Turkey. Read into that what you will...

Final Update

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hi All,

Just wanted to share that the new thread is now live:

Hail, Britannia: A New History
Y2Es5Qj.png

Last edited: