Hail, Britannia

So I've been bored at home since getting back from college for the winter, and I decided to work a little on a WorldA map for Hail Britannia after seeing @erictom333 's map of the United Empire. Credit to him for the map of the U.K.E. and Kitara in Africa; I mainly worked on finishing the rest of North America and Eurasia. There are definitely issues with the map, especially with some of the internal borders, and Africa, South America, and Antarctica remain unfinished, but I thought that I'd try to help contribute to this project since it seems like a very interesting setting.
1608437554798.png

And here is the most up-to-date world map:

zqzJqBe.png

Credit to the amazing people at The QBAM Thread for the Base Map.

So I've been bored at home since getting back from college for the winter, and I decided to work a little on a WorldA map for Hail Britannia after seeing @erictom333 's map of the United Empire. Credit to him for the map of the U.K.E. and Kitara in Africa; I mainly worked on finishing the rest of North America and Eurasia. There are definitely issues with the map, especially with some of the internal borders, and Africa, South America, and Antarctica remain unfinished, but I thought that I'd try to help contribute to this project since it seems like a very interesting setting.
View attachment 609425

Nice map. I'm pretty sure there's already a world map though.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Come to think of it, where is retiree-central for the North American bits of Britain ITTL?

Georgia?
It honestly wouldn't shock me if there are more British Americans buying condos in Gold Coast or what have you, given the relative ease of travel. And now I'm wondering about how urban design would differ ITTL. Hm... there's a lot to chew on there. HOPEFULLY it'd be less hideous postwar than OTL.

Georgia would definitely be a prominent destination for English-speaking retirees. Given the ease of travel, lack of a langauge barrier and comparable standards of living, the Bahamas, Jamaica and Cuba would see retirment communities. Sierra Leone and the Gold Coast (Accra) would definitely be major destinations for retirees. But one of the major destinations might be Gibraltar.

I thought you confirmed that Florida had the Florida Man reputation.
Not that there couldn't be more Florida Man equivalents ITTL.

As terrifying as that prospect is.
Which also means terrifying.

Indeed I did. But the more I looked into it, with Florida being Spanish-speaking I don't know if that would necessarily filter through to the English-speaking world. Perhaps Louisiana Man is the main meme, while "Florida Hombre" is a less well known equivalent more prominent amongst Spanish-speakers?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Here's a patch with South America.

Looking good :) I'll see if I can add a few patches but everything looks good to me :)

I've got an SVG map that I hope to have completed in time for New Year!

Last edited:
2020 Cornish general election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
rd293tC.png

LeKDbcb.png
The 2020 Cornish general election was held on 21 May 2020 to elect, under the mixed member majoritarian system, the 100 members of the Cornish Assembly. 50 seats are elected under the first past the post system in single member constituencies [1], with an additional 50 seats elected under nationwide proportional representation.

The incumbent centre-left Mebyon Kernow – the Party for Cornwall (Cornish for Sons of Cornwall; MK), a broad Cornish nationalist and social democratic party that had led the campaign for Cornish devolution and eventual dominionhood, went into the election under new leader Julia Goldsworthy, after the retirement of longtime leader, and Member of the Imperial Parliament, Dick Cole. Having governed Cornwall since 2012, the party was in danger of suffering voter fatigue, but were aided but a strong economy and stable budget. Goldsworthy was a popular figure in Cornwall due to her work in the health and finance ministries, and her personal popularity helped the party secure its third consecutive plurality in the Assembly, a first since Cornish devolution in 1991, gaining 2 seats to a total of 45 despite a slight drop in their share of the popular vote.

On the opposition benches, the centre socially liberal Cornish Democrats (Gweriniethor Kernow; GK) under new leader Dan Rogerson ran a strong campaign, but failed to make any major gains except taking the St Just and the Isles of Scilly constituency from Mebyon Kernow. The centre-right progressive conservative Unionists (Parti Unyansek Kernow; PU), which had been one of the dominant parties in Cornish politics in the 1990s, lost 3 seats to Mebyon Kernow, attributed to the ongoing leftward shift in local politics. Longtime party leader Sarah Newton anounced that she would stand down as leader after the election, and it has been suggested she be appointed to the Imperial Council of Lords when a vacancy next arises.

Under Cornwall's unwritten constitutional system of consensus democracy, the leader of the largest party in the legislature is nominated to the Crown and the Grand Duke as First Minister. As such, Julia Goldsworthy was nominated by the new Assembly when it convened on 3 June and formally appointed by the Queen-Empress and the Grand Duke as Cornwall's seventh and first female First Minister.

[1] - Credit to @Amateur Psephologist for providing the constituency map.

lDVQowb.png

Last edited:
First Ministers of Cornwall

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
rd293tC.png

First Ministers of Cornwall (1991–) [1]
11. 1991–1995 Robert Hicks (Unionist majority)
12. 1995–2000 Richard Jenkin (Mebyon Kernow majority)
13. 2000–2002 Paul Tyler (Democratic majority) [2]
14. 2002–2007 Andrew George (Mebyon Kernow minority)
15. 2007–2012 Matthew Taylor (Democratic minority)
16. 2012–2020 Dick Cole (Mebyon Kernow minority)
17. 2020–2020 Julia Goldsworthy (Mebyon Kernow minority)

[1] - Known as the "Premier" from 1991 to 1999.​
[2] - Changed the voting system from First Past The Post to Mixed Member Majoritarian, and lowered the voting age to 16 for local and general elections.​

Last edited:
Very glad to see more of the British Isles!

Is the Grand Duke the same person as the Prince of Wales? What's his status?

Which imperial parties do the three Cornish parties affiliate with? (I'm assuming MK goes with the regionalist coalition? Or the Social Democrats?)

Also, how come the Unionists were the first to win the premiership after they gained dominion status? I would have assumed there would have been some enthusiasm on the devolution/regionalism side.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I'm surprised MK are so popular ITTL.

Is Cornish nationalism that much stronger, or do people support them because of other policies?

ITTL the party avoided the infighting of the 70s-90s and remained a coherent electoral force, winning elections to the Wessex legislature and even the English House of Commons.

Cornish nationalism is much stronger, but stops short of full independence, but yes the party is also very popular due to its social democratic and environmental policies.

Very glad to see more of the British Isles!

Is the Grand Duke the same person as the Prince of Wales? What's his status?

Yes, the Grand Duke is also the Prince of Chesapeake and Wales. In terms of powers he has no additional powers or privileges beyond that of an ordinary a governor general - it's very much a ceremonial position - but at the opening of legislative sessions he traditionally gives a speech (the prince's or grand duke's speech) which is in English and Welsh/Cornish, and technically he first ministers serve "at the pleasure of Her Majesty and His Royal Highness".

Which imperial parties do the three Cornish parties affiliate with? (I'm assuming MK goes with the regionalist coalition? Or the Social Democrats?)

Mebyon Kernow affiliates with the Alliance of Regions. The Democrats affiliate with the Imperial Liberals, while the Unionists are aligned to the Imperial Conservatives.

Also, how come the Unionists were the first to win the premiership after they gained dominion status? I would have assumed there would have been some enthusiasm on the devolution/regionalism side.

Cornwall didn't gain dominion status until 1999, but was a self-governing region of England from 1991. The Unionists won the 1991 election (the first after devolution) because it wasn't really about devolution or dominionhood, the referendum on devolution was relatively uncontroversial and so the election was mainly fought on issues of the economy and the establishment of the local Cornish government.

It's beautiful.

Grand Duke of Cornwall

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
rd293tC.png

oD1ONlz.png
Grand Duke of Cornwall (Cornish: Veur Dug Kernow) is a title in the British peerage, traditionally held by the eldest son of the reigning British monarch. The Duchy of Cornwall was the first duchy created in England and was established by royal charter in 1337. On 20 April 1753 the Duchy was raised to the status of Grand Duchy by King-Emperor Frederick I, and its holder is the only Grand Duke in the British peerage. Prior to 2015, the grand dukedom of Cornwall could only be held by the oldest living son of the monarch, who is also heir apparent, but since the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, the title is now held by the oldest living child of the monarch, who is also heir apparent. Since 1753, the grand dukedom has been only been vacant twice, from 1817 to 1841, and again from 1936 to 1952.

According to folklore and semi-legendary histories, the Dukes of Cornwall were semi-autonomous rulers during the Arthurian period. Historically, Cornwall formed part of the Brythonic Kingdom of Dumnonia, and was gradually incorporated into the Kingdom of England until the Norman Conquest when the first Earl of Cornwall was appointed. Edward, the Black Prince, the eldest son of Edward III, was made the first Duke of Cornwall in 1337, after Edward III had lost the title of Duke of Normandy. After Edward predeceased the King, the duchy was recreated for his son, the future Richard II. Under a charter of 1421, the duchy passes to the sovereign's eldest son.

The grand dukedom includes over 570 square kilometres of privately-owned land, more than half of which lies in Devon. Prior to 1991, the constitutional status of Cornwall was disputed, although the Grand Duke had some rights over the entirety of what was then the County of Cornwall. Since devolution in 1991 and the granting of dominionhood to Cornwall in 1999, the Grand Duke has taken on definied constitutional and operational responsibilities for the enitrety of the Grand Duchy of Cornwall. Under Cornish law and the Charter of Cornwall, the Grand Duke:
  • appoints the Lord Lieutenant and the High Sheriff (although both posts have been united since 1999);
  • convenes sessions of the Cornish Parliament;
  • approves the selection of the First Minister of Cornwall by the Cornish Assembly, along with the monarch;
  • and grants assent to legislative bills, along with the monarch.
The present Grand Duke is Prince Charles, the eldest son of Queen-Empress Elizabeth II, who was officially proclaimed Grand Duke of Cornwall at Launceston Castle in 1973. His second wife, Camilla, is the current Grand Duchess of Cornwall. She is also Princess of Chesapeake and Wales but does not use those titles.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hey @LeinadB93, do you have a list of district names? Because I could help you come up with a list of MIPs.
I believe that’s been done in its entirety IIRC
I checked, and as it turns out, YOU were working on a list! Crazy how that happens.
I forgot about that!

I will dig out the list and send it over. IIRC most of the Empire was done prior to the 2018 election, with the exception of England.

What area does the Princedom of Chesapeake cover? That sounds like it could easily encompass parts of Columbia and Virginia.

Prince of Chesapeake is a purely ceremonial title, so it doesn't confer any lands or constitutional responsibilities. The Duchy of Fredericksburg however includes significant holdings in Northwest Virginia, the City of Fredericksburg and parts of Maryland, but is held by the Crown.

View attachment 611100
Internals of Kitara, plus Brazilian Africa and internals.

Looking good :)

Last edited: