Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
It has come to my attention that some of the posts (actually content not the headers) are missing for some people.

I've been through the whole thread and can't see any gaps, but if anyone has noticed any please let me and I can re-upload the content :)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Amazing that Lloyd George lived to at least 101 in this TL!

Did Stevenson lead the Social Democrats from the Lords or was he an elected MP?
Uh, he died in 1945.
Maybe it's Richard Lloyd George, with a different first name ITTL?

Richard Lloyd George, 2nd Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor - Wikipedia

Doh! Typo!

It should be:
19. 1957–1964 Adlai Stevenson II, 3rd Earl of Bloomington (Ohio Country) (Liberal)
20. 1964–1968 Norman Kirk (New Zealand) (Social Democratic)

I just realised this creates a problem with established canon.. Stevenson II was an MIP, while his peerage was part of the Ohio Country Division of the Peerage of America which still sent representative peers to the Lords (of which he was not one). Whereas the Kennedys for example, because they held a subsidiary title in the Peerage of Great Britain and the Empire sat in the Lords as hereditary peers. Phew, crisis averted :)

It has come to my attention that some of the posts (actually content not the headers) are missing for some people.

I've been through the whole thread and can't see any gaps, but if anyone has noticed any please let me and I can re-upload the content :)
I'm guessing they're talking about this.
Screenshot_2020-11-24 Hail, Britannia.png

Which appears on a lot of entries in this TL.

By the way, how are earls addressed in the French/Spanish speaking dominions? Are they known as counts there?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Just realized: If Huey's brother was elevated to the peerage, would that make him...

Earl Long, 1st Earl Long

Indeed XD however the Conservative government wasn’t inclined to grant his brother a peerage, and Earl Long wasn’t going to accept one...

By the way, how are earls addressed in the French/Spanish speaking dominions? Are they known as counts there?

Yes most Earldoms native to Florida, Quebec and Louisiana are known as Counts.

Jumping aboard the train concerning the Leaders of the Opposition. Is it meant to be 1940-1950 or actually 1946-1950?

Whoops again!! Thanks for catching that

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
How many peerages are there in total, both life and hereditary?
Britain IRL has around 800 hereditary and almost 700 life peers, so I imagine there would be thousands here.

Doing a back of the packet calculation - I reckon there would probably be upwards of 4000 hereditary peerages (created but not necessarily extant), and maybe about 3500 life peerages created in total.

Last edited:
Is it relatively rare in the 21st century for hereditary peers to take an active role in politics? Who are some examples of active hereditary peers?

Also, what did the following people get up to in this TL: Peter Carrington, David Owen, Michael Foot, David Davis, Peter Mandelson, George Galloway, Stanley, Boris, and Jo Johnson, and Emmanuel Macron?

Last edited:
Doing a back of the packet calculation - I reckon there would probably be upwards of 4000 hereditary peerages (created but not necessarily extant), and maybe about 3500 life peerages created in total.

Huh, that's fewer than I might've thought. The only original hereditary peerage I remember is the Trudeau being the Earls of Saint-Rémi.

What's the division of powers like between imperial, federal and state entities (where they exist)? I'd imagine foreign relations, trade, military and finance (setting interest rates and the like). Product standards?

What would go to a federal parliament that wouldn't be the purview of a state? Healthcare maybe?

I'd like to know more about the Texan and Californian navies. What sort of naming conventions do they use? Are their ships built in Britain, or do they have their own shipbuilding industries?

What are rights for different minorities (ethnic, gender, sexual, romantic) like in this world? Have they generally progressed more or less?