Status
Not open for further replies.

marathag

Banned
I think the operative word here is "for the time".

This was pretty freaking amazing computer graphics for a microcomputer in 1984:

3025606-poster-p-macpaint-2.jpg

gartel_lipservice.jpg
With Atari Pain, you could get this with the Atari 8 Bits
1604961939502.jpeg

1604962118260.jpeg

1604962153038.jpeg

Yes, hobbists are still messing around with them to show off what can be done with them
I was less than blown away by the Mac, given that almost nothing from the the Apple II hardware line carried over, not even printers at first.

And you would run out of that 128k of Ram very, very fast on that $2495 Mac, and you would be swapping that single floppy frequently

With Atari Pain, you could get this with the Atari 8 Bits
View attachment 598300
View attachment 598301
View attachment 598302
Yes, hobbists are still messing around with them to show off what can be done with them
I was less than blown away by the Mac, given that almost nothing from the the Apple II hardware line carried over, not even printers at first.

And you would run out of that 128k of Ram very, very fast on that $2495 Mac, and you would be swapping that single floppy frequently
Yea, that's pretty impressive. As someone who is decidedly NOT a computer guy I can only go on what I hear from others. TBH I forgot Atari computers even existed before I started this TL. Did you have a suggested edit?

Jack Lindquist IV: Changing Culture
Chapter 21: A Cultural Shift in Mouseville
Excerpt from In the Service of the Mouse: A Memoir, by Jack Lindquist

Oh boy, 1985! Prior to this date you could argue that things in Disney were stuck in 1958! Now, I’m an old-fashioned guy, but it was clear even to me that the world was a very different place in 1985 and had been since the late 1960s, possibly earlier. There was a long running joke at the parks that the grooming standards at Disneyland and Disney World were so strict that Walt Disney himself couldn’t get a job there. They were right! Mustaches were forbidden under these standards. As to Jim Henson…well, forget it! The only reason Jim ever got to play a walkaround was by becoming an executive!

Disney-Look-1.jpg

(Image source “parkology.com”)

Needless to say, Jim was not too enthusiastic about the standards. It certainly didn’t help that he and his son John occasionally got stopped by security when they visited the parks! “Gosh, Jack and Dick,” he said to us one day, “how can I tell someone with a beard like mine or a mustache like Walt’s that they can’t visit the park or sell ice cream at Disneyland?” It wasn’t just Jim either. The Muppets Department, the Animation Department, and even Imagineering were chock-a-block with facial hair, long hair on men, short hair on women, and even piercings or tattoos here and there. For Jim it was more than just hypocritical, it was patently unfair.

Now, he certainly got pushback on that one, let me tell you! But he persisted. The truth was that part of what was making Disney so “uncool” in the eyes of anyone over 7 and under 70 was that it didn’t really look like America. He managed, somehow, to convince Ron Miller and the board to relax the standards, albeit gradually. “Look,” he said one day to Dick Nunis, “I’m not saying that we need to hire the Hells Angels to run the Matterhorn. I’m just saying that someone with Luke Skywalker hair or a Magnum PI mustache probably isn’t going to shock the guests into thinking that Disney has gone pure Maleficent.”

Eventually he broke through. The standards were slowly relaxed. If you had a neatly trimmed mustache or beard or your hair was a little long, we weren’t going to kick you out the gate. With the growing number of foreign tourists visiting the parks we also started to add more people who spoke other languages or who represented different cultures or religions. “Disney Diplomats” we called them. Need someone who speaks Spanish, or German, or Japanese? Just look for the flags on their lapels! Jim insisted that we live up to our Equal Opportunity promises more fully and hire more broadly from more races. I mean, we were doing very well there already, I thought, but he insisted that we make a conscious effort to check our biases, whatever they might be.

He also pushed back on our food service. Concessions were a major profit center, but Jim was upset at the junk food that made up the bulk of what the visitors, particularly children, were consuming. Sesame Place had always only provided healthy snacks and Muppetland too, to a point, but he was hoping to totally purge junk food from the parks. It was a battle he ultimately lost, the money was just too good selling popcorn, Coke, and candy, but he did manage to increase the number of healthy options available, particularly for kids.

Of course, the 1980s were on the edge of an even bigger cultural shift and one of the biggest changes came from a simple origin: a dance club. With the rise of Teen Culture in the 1980s and a growing need for safe outlets for teenagers in the Greater LA Basin, the opportunity for Disney to step in became apparent. Disney had not been popular with teens since the 1960s. Dick and I hoped to change that and Jim and Ron were with us. Knott’s Berry Farm had already launched two teen dance clubs: Cloud 9 and Studio K. Someone proposed that the old Fantasyland Theater could be converted. The name Club Galaxy was floated around. Jim, as always, had a different idea: Club Cyclia[1].

He’d had the idea for years: a nightclub where images were projected upon faceted walls or dancers in white leotards. Clearly it was all late ‘60s psychedelia and not really hip for the day, but the idea was incredible, we just needed to give it an ‘80s update with Memphis Design, MTV-inspired visuals, music video clips, and other ‘80’s things. Club Cyclia was born[2], with different times and days for teens, young adults, and even young children during the day. And it was more than just a dance club, in true Imagineering spirit was an immersive experience, a fantastic new world of color and sensory input that put standard discotheques to shame.

Club Cyclia Interior; imagine this, but “like Totally ‘80s” (image source “muppet.fandom.com”)

Cyclia became a smashing success, with live appearances by hot music acts, but strangely became a place of controversy pretty quickly. Disney maintained a “no touch dancing” policy. More controversially, it had a “no same sex dancing” policy. Gay Rights organizations threatened to sue, but it turned out to be about more than just the homosexual guests. Young women in particular liked to dance in groups for “safety”. There was a lot of pushback from management, but Jim and Frank Wells both lobbied to just not fight it. We’d keep the “no touch” rule, but end bans on same-sex dancing. We’d slowly end enforcement of same sex PDA bans as well. By 1995 Disney parks were largely considered safe spaces by the gay and lesbian communities.

Today, Walt Disney Entertainment is seen as a paragon of equal opportunity. Just because our culture and values have changed in the decades since Walt’s untimely passing, it doesn’t mean that Walt’s central vision of Disney as “The Happiest Place on Earth” should not apply to everyone.

[1] Remember Cyclia, the psychedelic night club Jim almost launched in the 1960s? Check it (and some crazy films for it) out at https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Cyclia

[2] Under Einser this became Videopolis and tons of TV monitors playing MTV videos became the attraction.

marathag

Banned
TBH I forgot Atari computers even existed before I started this TL. Did you have a suggested edit?
Atari wasn't in a good place in 1984, selling 700k to Commodore's 2M C-64, losing the Price War with them and Texas Instruments TI/99.

Atari was selling the 800XL in 1983 for $10 above manufacturing cost. Not sustainable. Commodore killed the TI, and Atari was hurting from the '83 Price War

Ataris were better 8 bit machines, but this was a betamax/VHS sort of thing, when the Compact Disc was around the corner. 8 bit era was ending in 1984 for the MOS 6502 processor.

The Future would be 16 bit.

OTL Tramiel was kicked out of Commodore in January 1984, and he bought Atari from Warners in July 1984, as he wanted to sell PCs, and revenge against Commodore.
He killed 8 bit plans at Atari for 1450XL 8 bit, and the 1850XLD that was a early form of what would later be the Amiga.
Tramiel gutted the existing development division of Atari, Sunnyvale Research Labs, to bring in other ex-Commodore engineers

That left Jay Miner without a home for his next generation 68000 based 16/32 bit computer
1605016133560.jpeg

Almost the Amiga 1000

His new company, Hi-Toro, would soon rename to Amiga, and then due to money trouble, get bought out by Commodore.

That's how Atari and Commodore switched staff and design teams

The Amiga was the best Graphics Computer that could be had, without spending 10x the money for custom Silicon Graphics and other high end types.

But that is the story for 1985

By 1995 Disney parks were largely considered safe spaces by the gay and lesbian communities.

Today, Walt Disney Entertainment is seen as a paragon of equal opportunity. Just because our culture and values have changed in the decades since Walt’s untimely passing, it doesn’t mean that Walt’s central vision of Disney as “The Happiest Place on Earth” should not apply to everyone.
Compared to LGBTQ+ representation nowadays in our timeline, and not just from the Mouse's perspective, this is a substantial improvement overall!

Nice Disco post there @Geekhis Khan - do the Muppets ever do a Special from the dancefloor?

Sounds like a safe space indeed- esp once the fuddiduddies allow the relaxation of the 'same sex' rule.

Do all the parks get a Club?

Sorry to ask of this, but as a Californian, why does it look like you upload your chapters in the early hours of the morning?

I’m pretty sure it’s because he’s in a different time zone from us Californians.

I thought that was the case.

He's originally from the New York/New Jersey area I believe and he posts first thing in the morning.
He's from the Delmarva Peninsula, according to his profile, which is in the Eastern Time Zone. He definitely uploads first thing in the morning though, even by that time zone's standards.

This TL continues to be great :)

I wonder will the Vectrex still be made ITTL...

Thanks, and yes, Vectrex is still around and still a victim of the Crash of '83. Not sure it there's a future for it ITTL or not.

While just about all of the tech stuff goes over my head, I still enjoy seeing the changes ongoing!

Me too; I'm leaning heavily on Kalvan for the specs.

Compared to LGBTQ+ representation nowadays in our timeline, and not just from the Mouse's perspective, this is a substantial improvement overall!

Disney's done pretty well IOTL as well, at least at the parks, which were one of the first private places to allow pride parades, IIRC. On film and TV Disney has been much more behind the times. "Oh, two girls kissed in Rise of Skywalker and two guys made eye contact in the live action Beauty and the Beast..ain't we just so progressive?"

Nice Disco post there @Geekhis Khan - do the Muppets ever do a Special from the dancefloor?

Sounds like a safe space indeed- esp once the fuddiduddies allow the relaxation of the 'same sex' rule.

Do all the parks get a Club?

A lot depends on the success of the club, of course, but it's a pretty simple thing to reproduce elsewhere.

You forgot the threadmark...

Good update, BTW...

Oops, thanks, taken care of!

Sorry to ask of this, but as a Californian, why does it look like you upload your chapters in the early hours of the morning?
I’m pretty sure it’s because he’s in a different time zone from us Californians.
He's from the Delmarva Peninsula, according to his profile, which is in the Eastern Time Zone. He definitely uploads first thing in the morning though, even by that time zone's standards.

Technically Northern Virginia within the larger DelMarVa area, not far from Fredericksburg. I typically post around 6:30 AM Eastern Time before work, so around 3:30 AM your time, TFoA.

Disney's done pretty well IOTL as well, at least at the parks, which were one of the first private places to allow pride parades, IIRC. On film and TV Disney has been much more behind the times. "Oh, two girls kissed in Rise of Skywalker and two guys made eye contact in the live action Beauty and the Beast..ain't we just so progressive?"
Blame that in part on it kowtowing to China. They're a lot more behind the times when it comes to LGBTQ+ rights, though I can't tell if its the people as a whole or only the People's Party.

I'm very sure Walt would approve of the healthy eating options.

Status
Not open for further replies.