Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, maybe in-universe it could be acknowledged as repurposing a scrapped concept from the film's production.
Maybe they'll just say that the writers didn't want Jim Henson to feel bad when writing the script for the film, but little did they know he actually liked his parody character, so they just added it into the TV series instead.

Admittedly, I wish I'd thought of the "Weird wizard with the puppets". I may Retcon if I can find a good way to do so that isn't just an awkward tack-on.
Well we did suggest it before the Shrek post a while ago, but I don't mind if the film does not get retconned to have the Henson parody, although it would be well appreciated 😁
You can always make it part of the TV show.
Edit: Looks like I'm late to suggesting that the Henson wizard be part of the TV show.

The Bet
Chapter 6: The Next Summit (Cont’d)
Excerpt from The Visionary and the Vizier, Jim Henson and Frank Wells at Disney, by Derek N. Dedominos, MBA.

In the summer of 1992, Disney CEO Ron Miller visited Chairman and President Frank Wells in his office in the renovated “Old Animation Building” (now the “Walter Elias Disney Building”) and announced his plans to retire that spring after an even 10 years at the helm. “I’d like you to take over as CEO,” he said to Wells, “And I’d like Dick [Nunis] to take over as President.” Miller was grateful for his long opportunity to lead Disney, but he and his wife were ready to retire and devote their time to the growing wine partnership that they had with Francis Ford Coppola and his family.

The surprise announcement caught Wells flat-footed. He was just about to announce to Miller that he was considering an extended leave of absence himself! The truth was that Wells, as much as he was enjoying his time at Disney, was increasingly looking for that next challenge. And that next challenge appeared increasingly to be in the public sphere.

The prospective Al Gore presidency, as a fellow pro-business, pro-technology, pro-civil rights “Atari Democrat”, represented exactly the direction in which Wells wanted the country to go after 12 years of the “voodoo economics” and social conservatism of Reagan and Bush, and the opportunity to be a part of that was tantalizing. The polls in the 1992 presidential race were showing promise for Senator Al Gore, and Gore had approached Wells about the possibility of taking a cabinet position, likely Secretary of Commerce. Wells, not yet sure if public service was in his future, instead pitched to Gore an exploratory public-private joint committee to investigate the regulatory, technological, infrastructure, and resource investments that would be necessary to transition to a “green economy”. Basically, to put into action the plans discussed in last summer’s Green Technology Summit at Walt Disney World.

Wells expressed his plans to Miller.

“Saving the Wonderful World of Disney isn’t enough for you, eh Frank?” Miller teased. “You need to save the entire world now?”

“Perhaps Disney offered good practice!” Wells said with a self-effacing laugh.

Miller, the Reagan Republican, and Wells, the Atari Democrat, were amicably divided over the election and had already playfully teased one another over what would happen if the other’s side won. Both at least agreed that they were glad to see the disruptive Perot exit.

So, they turned their friendly political rivalry into a friendly bet: If Bush won reelection, then Miller would retire in 1993 as planned and Wells would take over as CEO and Chairman while Nunis would ascend to the presidency. If Gore won in November, Miller would extend his tenure while Wells went out to “save the world” with President Gore. If this happened, then Vice Chairman Jim Henson would take over as Acting Chairman and Dick Nunis take over as Acting President for the extent of Wells’ absence, while Miller remained on as CEO.

As for Henson, the thought of being Chairman, even acting, kind of made him queasy. He’d filled in for Frank on numerous occasions and was getting use to the position (even if he refused to use the gavel on principle), and he’d served as Chairman of Disney Studios for years now, but there was peace in knowing that he’d always be handing the gavel back, metaphorically speaking in his case. He felt like he should support Al Gore over Bush given his environmental views and the fact that he personally liked the guy, but even thinking about partisan politics made him upset.

The truth was that he was content where he was, and being the Chief Creative Officer and Disney Studios head was exactly the position that he was happy to be in. But Wells and Miller both assured him that while he’d have to hand off the Studios to someone else (he was leaning towards Roy E. Disney) he’d still retain the CCO’s position and remain the main creative driving force.

Satisfied that he’d remain primarily a creative leader rather than an administrative one, Henson agreed to the deal in principle.

And with that, the bet was afoot, with the near-term future of Disney in the balance.

Either way, come 1993 Disney would be entering into a new era.

One more post in Book I after this, folks! Book II starts Sunday-Sunday-Sunday!!!

I’d like you to take over as CEO,” he said to Wells, “And I’d like Dick [Nunis] to take over as President.” Miller was grateful for his long opportunity to lead Disney, but he and his wife were ready to retire and devote their time to the growing wine partnership that they had with Francis Ford Coppola and his family.

The surprise announcement caught Wells flat-footed. He was just about to announce to Miller that he was considering an extended leave of absence himself!
Well that's an awkward situation 😂

So, they turned their friendly political rivalry into a friendly bet: If Bush won reelection, then Miller would retire in 1993 as planned and Wells would take over as CEO and Chairman while Nunis would ascend to the presidency. If Gore won in November, Miller would extend his tenure while Wells went out to “save the world” with President Gore. If this happened, then Vice Chairman Jim Henson would take over as Acting Chairman and Dick Nunis take over as Acting President for the extent of Wells’ absence, while Miller remained on as CEO.
Great way to tie the biggest questions of the timeline together!

Now the presidential election will be even more anticipated.

The truth was that he was content where he was, and being the Chief Creative Officer and Disney Studios head was exactly the position that he was happy to be in. But Wells and Miller both assured him that while he’d have to hand off the Studios to someone else (he was leaning towards Roy E. Disney) he’d still retain the CCO’s position and remain the main creative driving force.
Good for Jim that he has found his place in life, realizing his own mortality probably helped with that.

Either way he will stay where he's happy and won't have to take a position he's not comfortable with.

One more post in Book I after this, folks! Book II starts Sunday-Sunday-Sunday!!!
Woohoo Book II can't wait!

Geekhis has proved how One child’s voice can help bring peace in one world… and she can cross the final frontier in another.

B7302DB1-FD6A-453B-BBC5-38E536CD37C4.jpeg

0D0097EF-1008-430C-81E8-CE8E04B5A9B1.jpeg

Well this election suddenly got very personal to the top chaps at Disney.

I suspect Jim will stay out of it, but Wells and Miller might be express their views publicly and I wonder how that will effect the Disney corporate 'feel' among employees? Even if the Corp itself is 'neutral'.

November 1992 will have very interesting effects indeed.

Nice chapter @Geekhis Khan

Wonderful job and I’m happy I got to participate in a small way. Keep going friendo, we believe in you :)

And thanks for being an inspiration :)

I'm actually surprised they amicably made a bet over this election, being the jaded Gen-Z that's been beaten down by the political polarization of OTL, but it does give me a bit of hope that we can avoid all of that drama in the future ITTL.

I think Henson is wise to stay where he is now. Sure he can be an effective CEO (no one doubts his creative abilities or his business acumen) but he has found his calling within Entertainment, so why stop now? Assuming Gore wins this, that means Wells retires off to help with the Gore Administration while Miller stays put for a while. Personally, I think it's better for Wells to retire towards politics since his ambitions and goals have far reaching effects on American society. Ron can still work on the vineyard during the off hours but the chance to have America move towards a more sustainable future is simply too good to pass up.

I suspect Jim will stay out of it, but Wells and Miller might be express their views publicly and I wonder how that will effect the Disney corporate 'feel' among employees? Even if the Corp itself is 'neutral'.
Probably not that much in a negative way. Wells and Millers are co-workers that respect one another, so I assume people both inside/outside of the company will view them as people who just have differing beliefs.

I'm actually surprised they amicably made a bet over this election, being the jaded Gen-Z that's been beaten down by the political polarization of OTL, but it does give me a bit of hope that we can avoid all of that drama in the future ITTL.

I think Henson is wise to stay where he is now. Sure he can be an effective CEO (no one doubts his creative abilities or his business acumen) but he has found his calling within Entertainment, so why stop now? Assuming Gore wins this, that means Wells retires off to help with the Gore Administration while Miller stays put for a while. Personally, I think it's better for Wells to retire towards politics since his ambitions and goals have far reaching effects on American society. Ron can still work on the vineyard during the off hours but the chance to have America move towards a more sustainable future is simply too good to pass up.

Probably not that much in a negative way. Wells and Millers are co-workers that respect one another, so I assume people both inside/outside of the company will view them as people who just have differing beliefs.
Then again, the polariation that would occur would be in the 1990s partially thanks to a certain slimy individual that oozed out of my home state of Georgia...

Yeah, and good for Henson. Don't always need to go higher after all.

Then again, the polariation that would occur would be in the 1990s partially thanks to a certain slimy individual that oozed out of my home state of Georgia...
It's pretty sad when you know exactly who he is, but we'll see how the TL deals with the evangelicals and radical conservatives. I mean, they already hate Henson's guts after all.

Yeah, and good for Henson. Don't always need to go higher after all.
He has truly found his place in life...for now.

Ok, tomorrow: Last Official Post of "A Hippie in the House of Mouse". Not exactly the spot in the TL I would have chosen for a "grand transitional ending", but the Arbitrary Page Limit hath spoken.

Still, I think you'll find it a happy little post. Even the trees and clouds will be happy.

And I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you, my readers. Thanks again for all the support and feedback and research support and even guest writing over these past couple of crazy years. I hope my TL helped ease some Pandemic Anxiety/Depression, even if only for a while. We're all in this thing together.

Well this election suddenly got very personal to the top chaps at Disney.

November 1992 will have very interesting effects indeed.

Nice chapter @Geekhis Khan
Neither will publicly express their politics (there's sort of an attitude of keeping your political opinions to yourself in the company at this point) though many in both parties are well aware where each stands.

Sadly that's how it used to be in the US. You could playfully poke at your friend who voted for the other guy or roll your eyes at his views on guns or whatever without things degenerating into a screaming match...or worse. It's sad to have lost that in my country.

did Jim Varney and his Ernest character ever get big ITTL?
Yes, and Hollywood Pictures did his films.

BOOK II! BOOK II! BOOK II! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.