Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's good. Superman in full spandex would definitely be a bit awkward, especially if it was really skin tight.
They already had problems with it during the Donner films so I'm also expecting some noticeable shots of RDJ little Kal herešŸ˜‚

Man of Steel.
Ok cool! Despite not liking the film I always loved the title in OTL.

Typo. The dangers of me knowing just enough about comics to be dangerous.
Ok, just asking because maybe he's a junior now.

I'm saving that for the sequel.

"Corben" was a typo. Brain transmogrifying John Cordon and James Corben.
Mr. Edgyman or bearded Idiot?
If it is the latter whose going to play Hitler and whose playing Hitler?

Is Gorben going to become Metallo in the sequel?

It's a consequence of Al Pacino not doing Scent of a Woman.
Ok, was hoping for more Golden Age of Comedy inspired movies.

Famous Czech-American actor. Inevitably snubbed for the Oscar, poor bastard
I make one typo and everyone is jumping me!šŸ˜‚
I expected better from you @Geekhis Khan !

Well if we ever needed someone to fill a roll we can ask our pal Kane to do it!

They already had problems with it during the Donner films so I'm also expecting some noticeable shots of RDJ little Kal herešŸ˜‚
Well not if they use a dance belt to give a nice smooth line.

dance-belt-oh-god-damnit-yeah-except-it-spider-man-get-21800080.png

Edit: Post is from https://thedevilspanties.com/archives/tag/dance-belt

Last edited:
[1] Sorry, @Pyro, but Studios will be Studios! Braniac will have to appear later.
Hey, I may have "lost" Brainiac, but Metallo (sort of) is a nice consolation prize because Superman has an underrated rogues gallery.

Brainy can wait for a later sequel. Probably the third.

"Corben" was a typo. Brain transmogrifying John Cordon and James Corben.
Unless it was specifically changed for the film Corben is not the typo:

Hey, I may have "lost" Brainiac, but Metallo (sort of) is a nice consolation prize because Superman has an underrated rogues gallery.

Brainy can wait for a later sequel. Probably the third.
Preach, Superman has such a good rogues gallery, but we only ever see ol Lexi in the movies!

Well and Zod, but he was originally made for Superman II anyways so he doesn't really count imo.

And waiting for Brainiac will only enhance his presence since he will be a big step up from the other Earth based rogues.

Preach, Superman has such a good rogues gallery, but we only ever see ol Lexi in the movies!

Well and Zod, but he was originally made for Superman II anyways so he doesn't really count imo.

And waiting for Brainiac will only enhance his presence since he will be a big step up from the other Earth based rogues.
That's why TV shows are best to showing a characters full rogues gallery.

I'm not completely happy with the face but oh well:
dew1udy-eff62ca8-d72f-4b76-b9a9-e8832327ba90.png
If I could possibly make a request: please edit the red trunks to be less Speedo and more Athletic Shorts like their original incarnation.
While I'm all for Robert Swole-y Jr, this outfit make him look like he's been hired for a Stagette party.

If I could possibly make a request: please edit the red trunks to be less Speedo and more Athletic Shorts like their original incarnation.
While I'm all for Robert Swole-y Jr, this outfit make him look like he's been hired for a Stagette party.
You might have better luck on the graphics request thread.

Animator's Perspective X: A Little Fishy
Making The Little Mermaid (1992), by Andreas Deja
A Guest Post to the Riding with the Mouse Net-log by animator Terrell Little

Hi, everyone, Iā€™m Andreas and my friend and fellow Disney animator Terrell asked me to contribute to his net-log. Be sure to also see my net-log post, with some additional pieces of the artwork that I made. Now, I generally do not write much in my posts. I prefer to let the artwork speak. But Terrell is twisting my arm, the bastard!

TARB%2B8.jpeg

King Triton pencil test by Andreas Deja (Image source Deja View blog)

So, where do we begin with The Little Mermaid? All the way back to Kay Nielsenā€™s test art in the 1940s? That was intended to be a short as part of a Hans Christian Andersen biopic. Our archivist dug them up when we started seriously looking into production in the late 1980s. Or perhaps I should speak of Ron Clements and his quest since the mid-1980s to get the film greenlit? Heā€™d come across the original story and really wanted to do it, but other projects came first.

KayNielsenLittleMermaidSketch.jpg

Kay Nielsen concept art (Image source ā€œsurlalunefairytales.blogspot.comā€)

Weā€™ll just say that there was a long production on this film!

We entered active production late in 1989. Jim was hoping for something very ā€œold schoolā€ Disney. Roy wanted more princesses. While others worked with Ghibli on The Bamboo Princess, Ron recruited me as art director, helping Ron and John [Musker] set the style and tone of the animation since he loved what Iā€™d done with Mistress Masham. We took some style cues from Nielsen, which is why stylistically it reminds so many people of Sleeping Beauty. We won an Annie for the art direction because of it.

Music-wise, weā€™d hoped to get Howard Ashman and Alan Menken to do the soundtrack, but they were beyond busy between Mort and Aladdin and The Song of Susan. Ron did manage to get some advice from Howard on where to take the Sea Witch, a character that we just couldnā€™t figure out what to do with, and Howard wrote some lyrics for her villain song, ā€œPoor, Unfortunate Souls.ā€

2830cee8714cbc558d5efae94410f35c.jpg

images

Original Sea Witch concept art by Kay Nielsen and various Musker concept art (Image source The Paris Review & Pinterest)

Instead, Howard introduced us to Freddie Mercury, whoā€™d been writing the soundtrack for The Song of Susan. ā€œHeā€™s the best lyricist I know,ā€ Howard said. Thatā€™s huge praise! Freddie was super excited to work on it. Heā€™s a bit of a kid like the rest of us. Playing in the Disney sandbox was a lot of fun for him. And Freddie had always loved[1] the story of The Little Mermaid, so it all worked out!

And just like Howard really kind of took over Mistress Masham in spirit, so did Freddie take over The Little Mermaid. Freddie ran to some degree with the tone set by Howardā€™s Ursula, who (and hereā€™s a little secret that still makes Roy a little uncomfortable when he hears us talk about it) is really based on the drag queen Divine! Freddieā€™s songs were so full of confidence and barely constrained emotion, and that carried over into the characters. Ariel is a girl who knows what she wants. Prince Eric, meanwhile, is a confused man whose external expectations blind him to the happiness beside him. Ursula is the Queen Bitch of the Ocean and knows it. Triton is a stubborn father and king. Freddie and Brian May as arranger gave a very rock-operatic feel to things. Howard told us that heā€™d have made things calypso and turned Clarence the Crab into a Jamaican, but Freddie leaned on the whole Scandinavian thing and made everything what can only be described as ā€œRock Wagner[2]ā€.

His songs were great. ā€œThe World Aboveā€ has such a lyricism and longing. ā€œThe Girl of my Dreamsā€ is passionate and laced with irony as Prince Eric longs for the woman who saved him as the silent Ariel next to him, who unknown to him is that girl, longs for him. Its later reprieve is so full of emotion even I still tear up at it. Each song became a like a milepost for us to animate around.

Hearing the actual voice actors record was a special delight. On Howardā€™s recommendation we found stage actress Jodi Benson to voice Ariel. We found Paul Hipp for the role of Prince Eric, just coming off of a run as Buddy Holly in the original West End run of Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story. Kenneth Mars was sublime as King Triton. Jennifer Saunders just nailed it as Ursula and Rowan Atkinson was a delightful boor as Clarence[3]. And Kath Soucie brought the manipulative third point of the love triangle, the Duchess Katrine, to life.

1bbc040777ddbafbb3de62c6a3bd3a81.jpg

(Image source Pinterest)

I took a year off to work on Porco Rosso and then almost immediately got recruited to work on The Bamboo Princess because of it, but was back in time to finish up post production and see the final project completed. Howard had passed by that point, but his ā€œPoor Unfortunate Soulsā€ lived on.

I am proud of what we accomplished.

[1] Speculating here.

[2] Not to be confused with Rock Lobster.

[3] Hat tip to @Plateosaurus for Sanders and @Nathanoraptor for Atkinson. Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson will voice Ursulaā€™s snarky eel companions.

We took some style cues from Nielsen, which is why stylistically it reminds so many people of Sleeping Beauty.
Interesting so a very old school Disney film stylistically.

Instead, Howard introduced us to Freddie Mercury, whoā€™d been writing the soundtrack for The Song of Susan. ā€œHeā€™s the best lyricist I know,ā€ Howard said. Thatā€™s huge praise! Freddie was super excited to work on it. Heā€™s a bit of a kid like the rest of us. Playing in the Disney sandbox was a lot of fun for him. And Freddie had always loved[1] the story of The Little Mermaid, so it all worked out!
Now that's a pleasant surprise!
I wouldn't have predicted this in my wildest dreams, but it those makes sense since we know about many singers who went into film music later.
If Freddie ever gets tired of Rock music then he can always become a professional composer.

Howard wrote some lyrics for her villain song, ā€œPoor, Unfortunate Souls.ā€
I'm glad that this still exists, although it's probably not entirely the same song.

Ariel is a girl who knows what she wants. Prince Eric, meanwhile, is a confused man whose external expectations blind him to the happiness beside him. Ursula is the Queen Bitch of the Ocean and knows it. Triton is a stubborn father and king. Freddie and Brian May as arranger gave a very rock-operatic feel to things. Howard told us that heā€™d have made things calypso and turned Clarence the Crab into a Jamaican, but Freddie leaned on the whole Scandinavian thing and made everything what can only be described as ā€œRock Wagner[2]ā€.
What a welcomed departure from the doormat that is OTL's Ariel!
Rock opera music? I'm sold and hope that Disney will make TLM into a Broadway musical some day!

On Howardā€™s recommendation we found stage actress Jodi Benson to voice Ariel.
First Poor unfortunate Souls, then Divine and now Jodi Benson! Howard Ashman dud have a huge influence on this version of TLM too!

Jennifer Saunders just nailed it as Ursula and Rowan Atkinson was a delightful boor as Clarence[3].
3] Hat tip to @Plateosaurus for Sanders and @Nathanoraptor for Atkinson. Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson will voice Ursulaā€™s snarky eel companions.
Great cast, still it hurts my heart that we sadly don't have Rene Auberjonois as the head chef singing about le poisons!

With Disney getting back into fairy tales again what would be interesting would be a Tim Burton take on it - putting the Grim back into Grimm's Fairy Tales - going back to the original & quite grisly material. Although probably not released under the Disney label & rated PG or the equivalent in this TL.

S Smith as Lesley Crusher?

Hereā€™s Smith as she looked in Lime Street and also at the time of her letter. Itā€™s kind of shocking how obvious television lighting and makeup can be when you compare the two:
C8574B39-B643-4C4C-88DA-47E9CFC3E5DB.jpeg
F4305299-A989-4CFA-88FA-82D6D06FAB3E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.