Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, Bea Arthur is the only person participating in The Star Wars Holiday Special who doesn't regret appearing in it
Having seen the Holiday Special exactly once, from what I remember she played a cantina owner and looked like she was loving every minute of it so I'm not surprised in the slightest she had no regrets. Heck, if someone put the idea in Lucas' head to make a sort of Star Wars anthology film or series, like his own version of Fantasia but for showcasing the abilities of his various SFX studios, he could probably rope Madam Arthur into reprising the role.

To be fair to Bea Arthur, she did star in several variety shows and specials in the 1970s, so this probably wasn't new to her...

Carrie Fisher was on drugs (by her own admission) during the making of the special (and, frankly, who could blame her?) and Harrison Ford looked like he wanted to attack Conan O'Brien for playing a clip on his show (Mark Hamill hated it as well, if recent Twitter comments are anything to go by--BTW, at the time of the special's making, he'd been in a car accident and was still recovering when he was roped into doing this)...

Carrie Fisher, BTW, had a copy of the special to chase away guests who stayed too long at her house after parties...

Last edited:
I think the Star Wars Holiday Special could have been decent with more planning time, a better arrangement, and Wookiee subtitles.

With someone like Jim Henson - who knows Variety shows on-board I think a Special ITTL could indeed be Special.

Love this chapter. I am a bit sad that this takes away William Hurts oscar, but seems like the right call. Would love to see a newspaper article about the 58th Academy Awards if you think it would flow with the story.
I don't really have the time to cover the whole Oscars, but if you want to ghost write something send me a PM. Yea I feel bad for William Hurt, but more than happy to steal BP from Out of Africa.

1: So you're telling me that The Ballad of Edward Ford earned Disney the one award that not even OTL's Beauty and the Beast could grab at the height of its popularity?
I mean, just on the face of it the Ballad seems like way better Oscar bait than Beauty and the Beast, basically catnip for the Oscar committee. If nothing else, it doesn't suffer from the animation ghetto issue. Throw in how it homages old Hollywood and...
The Academy loves movies about movies, and Beauty and the Beast was animated, a "genre" (it isn't a genre, it's a medium, but tell them that) that has only a 10% better chance of winning a major Oscar than sci-fi or straight horror because of the ingrained prejudice against it.

Yea as Finn & WG pointed out, it's a "movie about movies" and Hollywood in general, which Oscar loves almost as much as Formulaic Biopics, Beautiful White People Suffering, and White Savior Narratives. BatB arguably deserved BP, but no "self respecting" Acadamy person is going to vote for a "Cartoon" in 1985 or 1991 regardless of its merits. Hell, the whole reason the Best Animated Feature was created in 2002 is so that they never have to consider it again.

2: Can you give me a complete list of all the shows made by Hyperion Television in this timeline?

In a word, no. I really don't have the time. But if anyone wants to make up a list let me know. We can have a reader participation thing if anyone wants.

To start it will be mostly syndication and a handful of new shows as they spin it up, adding in new productions as time goes on.

What is the closest OTL equivalent to the Hyperion Channel ITTL?

Probably the "adult contemporary" basic cable channels like USA, FX, TNT, and the like.

Oh, he'd love that, and be amazing at it. Honestly I think if he made a whole slew of short "deliberately terrible" B-Movie homages for the Wonderful World of Disney they'd all become cult classics for B-Movie monster fans like myself.

The second I read about the Blake films I knew Burton was the man to make it happen. And funny you should mention seeing them again on WWoD...

As someone who finds film production as interesting as the films themselves, having a whole show about the antics happening behind the camera is a fantastic idea. I think there was a Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts romantic comedy where the 'big twist' at the end was when the director of the terrible movie production the story revolved around got bored with his own production and, noticing the on-set drama was more interesting than the film being made, secretly filmed that instead, catapulting the protagonists to instant stardom, like a modern Singing in the Rain. Anyway, I thought the idea of a movie about making a movie was a great idea, Production! sounds like a great way to vicariously scratch that itch.

It seemed like a good plot for a SITCOM. And yes, cinephiles and industry insiders will love it. Mel Brooks was quoted as calling it "A Documentary".

Ah, yes, The Golden Girls. A few interesting OTL facts about that show (which they still run on TVLand and Hallmark channels every day of the week):
-Betty White was supposed to play the Blanche character (she had previously played a similar character, Sue Ann Nivens, on the Mary Tyler Moore Show), while Rue McClanahan was supposed to play the Rose character (as she had played a similar ditzy character, Vivian, on Maude, which also starred Bea Arthur, who played Dorothy in Golden Girls). However, the director, Jay Sandrich, suggested that White and McClanahan switch roles; McClanahan was pleased, since she wanted the Blanche role and had no idea on how to play Rose (Betty White played her as ditzy). If you believe Rue McClanahan, this switch helped get Bea Arthur to sign on to play Dorothy.
-There was a gay cook character named Coco in the pilot (played by Charles Levin); however, Estelle Getty (as Dorothy's mother, Sophia) proved so popular (she was originally just a drop-in character) that she was bumped to the lead and Levin left the show.

BTW, Bea Arthur is the only person participating in The Star Wars Holiday Special who doesn't regret appearing in it (Carrie Fisher would play it to get guests to leave parties she was hosting, and was high on cocaine while doing the special...

I considered some cast shakeups, but then Deadpool came out of the fourth wall and put a gun to my head.

Deapool said:
I totally did. Fuck with Bea Arthur at your own peril! And Bea Arthur was the best part of the Star Wars Holiay Special. You know it's true!

Last edited:
Oh Wade, you lovable scamp!

If Burton makes his B-Movie shorts (starting the meme 'The "B" is for "Burton".') I hope it includes one episode filmed with puppets as the 'normal humans' and the monster a bad rear projection effect of Burton himself in his normal work clothes, reversing the setup for one of his previous shorts when the monster was clearly a sock puppet.

To start it will be mostly syndication and a handful of new shows as they spin it up, adding in new productions as time goes on.
For their syndicated roots, I'd suggest that Hyperion Television become the arm to put the old Walt Disney Anthology Television Series episodes into the local affiliate hours. As for a new production, how about an animated series based on The Brave Little Toaster?

In a word, no. I really don't have the time. But if anyone wants to make up a list let me know. We can have a reader participation thing if anyone wants.

Could we get of all the movies released by Hyperion so far?

If Burton makes his B-Movie shorts (starting the meme 'The "B" is for "Burton".') I hope it includes one episode filmed with puppets as the 'normal humans' and the monster a bad rear projection effect of Burton himself in his normal work clothes, reversing the setup for one of his previous shorts when the monster was clearly a sock puppet.

Stay tuned. 📺

For their syndicated roots, I'd suggest that Hyperion Television become the arm to put the old Walt Disney Anthology Television Series episodes into the local affiliate hours. As for a new production, how about an animated series based on The Brave Little Toaster?

That makes sense. BLT will come up.

Could we get of all the movies released by Hyperion so far?
Never Cry Wolf (1983)
Splash (1984)
The Razor's Edge (1984)
The Ballad of Edward Ford (1985)

Thanks, @Windhover!

A hypothetical Brave Little Toaster series should at least keep Lovitz as the voice of the Radio. That casting choice was perfect. Though reading through the synopsis of the book, I'm struck by how much effort it put into describing how the appliances work to travel to their "master" instead of just going with vague magic doing it.

It's amazing the weird things you forget you use to watch:
Zoobilee Zoo (1986)
(I only post this here because I found it while I was trying to create a live up for the Hyperion Channel)

It's amazing the weird things you forget you use to watch:
Zoobilee Zoo (1986)
(I only post this here because I found it while I was trying to create a live up for the Hyperion Channel)
That one would work wonders during the weekday morning lineup, alongside, say, The Oz Kids and Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child, which were made by Hyperion Animation IOTL.

Follow That Board!
Big Bird on the Big Screen!
From Entertainment, July 24th, 1985

Follow_that_bird_theatrical_poster.jpg

Sesame Street has come to the big screen at last in Follow That Bird!, released this weekend by Buena Vista Entertainment under the Walt Disney Pictures label in partnership with the Children’s Television Workshop. The delightful film follows Big Bird on a cross-country adventure, trying to make his way back to Sesame Street and away from the machinations of the dastardly quasi-social worker Miss Finch. It’s a fun time for adults and children alike and another tour de force from Jim Henson’s Muppets, who clearly have not lost their magic since joining Disney last year. Critics have been ebullient in their praise and the G-rated film had a good opening weekend and is expected to make a modest profit[1]. It is hoped that this won’t be the last foray into the big screen by our Sesame Street pals.

* * *​

Two Disney Board Members Retire
Wall Street Journal, July 26th, 1985

Long time Disney board members Philip Hawley and Samuel Williamson announced their retirement from the Disney Board of Directors earlier this week. Hawley, CEO of the Carter Hawley Hale retail store conglomerate, told WSJ that the retirement is necessary so that he can attend to his own company. The chain has recently been facing financial difficulty including a hostile takeover attempt, and two days ago announced the sale of its Walden Books subsidiary to K-mart in a “Crown Jewels” strategy to avoid buyout. Williamson, meanwhile, has cited a desire to spend more time with his family and his growing responsibilities at the law firm Hufstedler, Miller, Carson, & Beardsley. Both men will remain on the so-called Disney Advisory Board, a non-voting entity that offers ad hoc advice and consultation on issues of interest to the board. Current AB luminaries include former Chairmen Donn Tatum and E. Cardon Walker, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and producer/directors Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.

* * *​

The Board of Directors for the Walt Disney Entertainment Company, Spring 1985:
Ray Watson, Chairman (former head of the Irvine Company)
Ronald “Ron” Miller, CEO
Frank Wells, President and COO
James M. “Jim” Henson, CCO, President, Walt Disney Studios, & Creative Director
Richard “Dick” Nunis, President, Disney Outdoor Entertainment
Roy E. Disney, Vice President, Walt Disney Animation Studios (head of Shamrock Holdings)
Al Gottesman (President, Henson Arts Holdings)
Dianne Disney Miller (Partner, Retlaw Enterprises)
Peter Dailey (former US ambassador to Ireland and Roy Disney’s brother-in-law)
Caroline Ahmanson (head and founder of Caroline Leonetti Ltd.; Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco)
Charles Cobb (CEO of Arvida Corp.; representing the interests of Bass Brothers)
Alfred Attilio “Al” Checchi (representing Marriott International)

Advisory Board Members (non-voting, ad-hoc attendance):
E. Cardon “Card” Walker, Chairman Emeritus
Donn Tatum, Chairman Emeritus
Sid Bass (CEO of Bass Brothers Enterprises)
Steven Spielberg (Partner, Amblin Entertainment)
Steve Jobs (Chairman & President of Apple Computer, Inc.)
George Lucas (CEO of Lucasfilm, Ltd.)
J. Willard “Bill” Marriott, Jr. (CEO of Marriott International)
Philip Hawley (Carter Hawley Hale)
Samuel Williamson (senior partner, Hufstedler, Miller, Carson, & Beardsley)

The Disney Executive Committee:
Ronald “Ron” Miller, CEO
Frank Wells, President and COO
James M. “Jim” Henson, CCO and President, Walt Disney Studios
Richard “Dick” Nunis, President, Disney Recreation
Thomas “Tom” Wilhite, President, Hyperion Studios
Carl Bongirno, President, Walt Disney Imagineering Workshop
Roy E. Disney, Vice President, Walt Disney Animation Studios

* * *​

Stocks at a Glance: Walt Disney Entertainment (DIS)
July 26th, 1985
Stock price: $137.74
Major Shareholders: Henson family (19.2%), Roy E. Disney (13.4%), Disney-Miller family (12.2%), Sid Bass (9.6%), Bill Marriott (6.3%), Amblin Entertainment (1.3%), Apple Comp. (0.7%), Lucasfilm Ltd. (0.42%), Suspected “Knights Errant” (4.6%), Others (32%)
Outstanding shares: 37.6 million

[1] Follow that Bird will make $24 million vs. a $9 million budget, a minor success. In our timeline it was released on August 2nd and thus went head-to-head with not just Back to the Future but with The Black Cauldron and Pee Wee’s Big Adventure. It only made $13.9 million against a budget that was higher than in this timeline and is considered a bomb. Here Cauldron was released in late 1984 and Follow that Bird will take its slot from our timeline, giving it a couple of extra weekends before Pee Wee debuts.

Last edited:
Good on Big Bird and the crew there!

Losing 2 board members should make Disney a little tighter and more responsive at the top.

Nice update.

On a side note, with regards to casting Ann Jillian in a movie at this time TTL--she was undergoing breast cancer treatment at this time (which she recovered from, both OTL and in TTL, I would assume), which caused her to leave It's a Living after its first syndicated season (it was renewed for syndication after being canceled by ABC and became a surprise hit, causing it to be renewed in syndication); she was replaced by Sheryl Lee Ralph (both in OTL and probably TTL), who, at this time, was famous for her role as Deena in the Broadway production of Dreamgirls (she was even nominated for a Tony for Lead Actress in a Musical--she was not going to win going up against Jennifer Holliday (1) as Effie, IMO). That's not to say that Jillian didn't continue to work--she just worked at a reduced level for obvious reasons...

With that out of the way, good update--wonder how Disney is going forward from this...

(1) On a side note, look up Jennifer Holliday's performance of her song "And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going" at the 1982 Tonys on YouTube--IMO, after the Tony committee saw this performance, they just likely said "Jennifer IS the winner--everyone else will be a runner-up."

Good on Big Bird and the crew there!

Losing 2 board members should make Disney a little tighter and more responsive at the top.

Nice update.

Tightenign the board was the plan. In our timeline Wells had to deal with Eisner's board games where securing loyalty was part of the strategy. Wells under Miller has the freedom to approach it from a strategic business perspective.

On a side note, with regards to casting Ann Jillian in a movie at this time TTL--she was undergoing breast cancer treatment at this time (which she recovered from, both OTL and in TTL, I would assume), which caused her to leave It's a Living after its first syndicated season (it was renewed for syndication after being canceled by ABC and became a surprise hit, causing it to be renewed in syndication); she was replaced by Sheryl Lee Ralph (both in OTL and probably TTL), who, at this time, was famous for her role as Deena in the Broadway production of Dreamgirls (she was even nominated for a Tony for Lead Actress in a Musical--she was not going to win going up against Jennifer Holliday (1) as Effie, IMO). That's not to say that Jillian didn't continue to work--she just worked at a reduced level for obvious reasons...

With that out of the way, good update--wonder how Disney is going forward from this...

(1) On a side note, look up Jennifer Holliday's performance of her song "And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going" at the 1982 Tonys on YouTube--IMO, after the Tony committee saw this performance, they just likely said "Jennifer IS the winner--everyone else will be a runner-up."

Interesting info. Did you have any hopes for either of them? I'm curious about your thoughts there.

Dammit Waldenbooks is still screwed huh?

It depends on who Hawley sells that particular crown jewel too.

No, I was just pointing it out, @Geekhis Khan.

Speaking of actors ITTL, I was watching the movie Surviving (1985) on YouTube, and it reminded me that River Phoenix and Heather O'Rourke, who played Zach Galligan's brother and sister in the movie and both died early deaths (River died in 1994 of a drug overdose (1); O'Rourke died of septic shock after suffering a bowel defect); I wonder if butterflies spare them ITTL...

(1) This makes the scene in Surviving where River's character overdoses in a suicide attempt even more difficult to watch today, knowing what happened to him--and, to make matters worse, Joaquin Phoenix, River's younger brother, was with River when he died and made a heartbreaking 911 call the night he died...

Status
Not open for further replies.