Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess some questions about the approval process and scripts are going to be asked at Fantasia Films after 2 flops in a row.

The Three Caballeros Sounds Even more silly than OTL which is good Cos it was fun. Hope Three Musketeers still gets green lit, that was good fun to watch.

That Tron ride looks fun.

Wonder how many of us Brits wandered around the ‘Ancient Britain‘ ride sniffing at the mangled history?

Mire please!

none the less adults
Shouldn't that be "much less"? Don't bother editing, we can say the error is in-universe, I just wanted to point it out.

As one of the few people who seem to remember Baby exists (along with Travis Willingham from his mention of it last week), I'm happy to hear the creature effects are much improved in this timeline, even though the rest of the movie is still garbage.
I quite like these in-universe movie reviews and ads, offering glimpses at the products of this timeline's changes without trying to write whole synopses. Let's us fill in the blanks ourselves, which is fun.

Well that fantasy Britain ride sounds very exciting. I love that it's a twofer - do one ride then the next! You wouldn't want to miss out on any of the fun! It's good to see that the Black Cauldron is having a greater impact than in OTL.

I was wondering what would happen to Baby, shame it wasn't as focused.

I wonder, could this Three Caballeros feature a cameo from Walt himself, who is inspired by the events within the film to make that in-universe timeline's Three Caballeros down the line?

Still wondering what kind of butterflies are happening across at other studios.

Mind you wietze, Walt would have been in his early teens at the time and presumably not interested in film, so maybe not outright inspiration, but more subconsciously so.

Mind you wietze, Walt would have been in his early teens at the time and presumably not interested in film, so maybe not outright inspiration, but more subconsciously so.
indeed, something that leaves a very strong impression, and later on shows through in his ideas

I wonder, could this Three Caballeros feature a cameo from Walt himself, who is inspired by the events within the film to make that in-universe timeline's Three Caballeros down the line?
that would be a nice circular reference
indeed, something that leaves a very strong impression, and later on shows through in his ideas
Walt could be a fan of their films in universe.

I guess some questions about the approval process and scripts are going to be asked at Fantasia Films after 2 flops in a row.

The Three Caballeros Sounds Even more silly than OTL which is good Cos it was fun. Hope Three Musketeers still gets green lit, that was good fun to watch.

That Tron ride looks fun.

Wonder how many of us Brits wandered around the ‘Ancient Britain‘ ride sniffing at the mangled history?

Mire please!
Well that fantasy Britain ride sounds very exciting. I love that it's a twofer - do one ride then the next! You wouldn't want to miss out on any of the fun! It's good to see that the Black Cauldron is having a greater impact than in OTL.

Both the Tron and Britain rides are double-tracked, actually, as is Space Mountain in WDW. It's a great way to pack two rides into the space of one while giving the users two potentially different experiences. The history isn't *too* mangled, after all it's a simple child friendly track ride based on two Disney movies.

On Fantasia, much will depend on how Dreamchild performs on how the brand handles. Caballeros isn't that much different than OTL, the OTL Three Amigos was pretty cartoony at times too. The violence is a little played down and the sex and profanity are dialed back, though still there (the "You can kiss me on the veranda" line and reaction to it are still there, since it's assumed kids will miss the inuendo).

As one of the few people who seem to remember Baby exists (along with Travis Willingham from his mention of it last week), I'm happy to hear the creature effects are much improved in this timeline, even though the rest of the movie is still garbage.

I quite like these in-universe movie reviews and ads, offering glimpses at the products of this timeline's changes without trying to write whole synopses. Let's us fill in the blanks ourselves, which is fun.
I was wondering what would happen to Baby, shame it wasn't as focused.

Yea, Baby could have used a better writer and director. I considered making come changes to salvage it, but they can't all be hits.

On the glimpse vs. synopsis, I still plan to keep a mix. Some things will get more attention, typically based on the attention they warrant given the monumentality of the changes. Also, I enjoy coming up with the alternate storylines and seeing how the "crowd" (i.e. you all) react. Mostly it will be shorter form, simply due to time.

Still wondering what kind of butterflies are happening across at other studios.
that would be a nice circular reference
Walt could be a fan of their films in universe.

I like that idea. In the final act we flash forward to 1928 and there's a news real about the "The tale of the Three Caballeros". Walking out of the theater is a thin man with a mustache and a second, balding man walking with him. "How about that, Roy? 'The Three Caballeros'. It's got a good ring to it." "I don't know, Walt, seems a bit old fashioned."

Big Shifts in the Entertainment Industry
Gulf+Western Acquires 20th Century-Fox amid Massive Reshuffling
Wall Street Journal, March 21st, 1985

New York, NY – In a stunning entertainment industry merger, Paramount parent company Gulf+Western has acquired a controlling stake in the 20th Century-Fox Corporation, buying up the fugitive Marc Rich’s former 50% stake from Marvin Davis for a reported $260 million after a short bidding war with News Corporation[1]. Insiders report to the WSJ that the ongoing hostile takeover attempt of CBS by WTBS and ACC has driven Gulf+Western to expand its holdings in anticipation of increased competition and marks another step in the ongoing reshuffling of assets by Gulf+Western in order to focus on entertainment rather than industry. The new company has announced plans to rebrand as the Triad Entertainment Group[2] and will actively maintain the three classic studio labels among other brands. The company is reportedly also considering an expansion into television. The move marks the culmination of a long shift away from a core industrial-based business model for Gulf+Western and into one that focuses on entertainment. “With Triad, we are forging a new path in entertainment,” says CEO Charles Bluhdorn. “Our tools will be the creative arts and our treasure the hearts and minds of our audience.”

Columbia Falls
Wall Street Journal, May 1st, 1985

New York, NY – The venerable Columbia Broadcasting Service, or CBS, has been acquired in a hostile takeover by the Gladstone Group, a joint venture led primarily by Ted Turner’s WTBS and Robert Holmes à Court’s Associated Communications Corporation (ACC)[3], the later flush with liquid funds following the sale of land holdings in Australia. A last-minute attempt at a self-tender and poison pill by CBS has been stymied by a lawsuit launched by the Gladstone Group and reported to be secretly supported by Senator Jessie Helms of North Carolina, a recent CBS shareholder and frequent collaborator with Turner[4]. The sheer speed and ferocity of the combined WTBS/ACC bid, a strategy built upon hard lessons learned by ACC from their recent failed takeover attempt of the Walt Disney company, overwhelmed the unprepared CBS management. With political support from southern politicians, in particular Helms, the FCC is expected to bless off on the deal. Turner is expected to take control of CBS itself as a majority shareholder. Holmes à Court is expected to claim CBS Theatrical Films and CBS’s stake in Tri-Star Pictures and will maintain a significant minority stake in CBS. Columbia Records, meanwhile, is being passed to Gladstone Group minority member Richard Branson and will be integrated as a label under Virgin Music. The publishing group and music group, to include big names such as Fawcett Publishing, Steinway, and Fender, will be divided up and sold off to help pay down the short-term debt incurred by the acquisition.

While Holmes-à-Court’s ambitions for empire are obvious, Turner’s driving force is more of an enigma and many analysts wonder what plans “The Mouth from the South” has for the venerable network. Turner has long spoken of his dissatisfaction with network television, calling it “sleazy and immoral”. He idolizes Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind and speaks of himself in military and biblical terms and recalls a complicated relationship with his domineering father. Some have predicted that Turner will “gut” CBS and turn it into a “Father Knows Best” simulacrum of a mythic American moral past. But WSJ is not so sure.

131111212052-15-ted-turner-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Ted Turner in 1985 (Image source “CNN.com”)

Reese Schonfeld, former president and co-founder with Turner of Cable News Network, describes in Turner a man unlikely to be pushing a moral agenda. “We used to argue at CNN about whether Ted was more interested in power or in glory,” he said. “But we all agreed that money was a distant third, followed by sex[5]. God barely makes the top ten.” Schonfeld calls the takeover “an exercise in reverse-carpetbagging” and predicts that CBS will largely stay the course with the network. “Sure, he’ll start running syndicated re-runs of [The] Andy Griffith [Show] and Hee-Haw, and maybe push the sexier stuff to past the family hour, but don’t expect [to see] Jerry Falwell hosting 60 Minutes or anything.”

The takeover brings the Atlanta-based media mogul a true national platform as well as ties to an international market through his “Gladstone” arrangement with Holmes-à-Court. While unlikely to completely abandon their New York City footprint, much of CBS’s operations and administration is expected to be relocated to the less-expensive southern city of Atlanta, Georgia, for integration into the Turner organization, with many CBS executives likely to be looking for work soon. “Atlanta is now right at the center of the world,” said Turner in a recent interview. “I guess the South has risen again!”

* * *​

DL: So, Paul, did you see that Ted Turner bought up CBS?

PS: Yes, I saw that.

DL: I guess our friends over on West 52nd can look forward to moving down to ol’ Hotlanta.

PS: Very humid down there.

DL: Well, as a going away gift I’m offering my CBS colleagues a chance to learn how to speak Southern. First off, you need to learn how to say “Yee-Haw!” Can you say that, Paul, “Yee-Haw?”

PS: Yeee-Haaww!

DL: Very good, Paul. You’re a natural. You’re not leaving me for CBS are you?

PS: Grey was never my color.

Excerpt from the May 2nd, 1985 episode of Late Night with David Letterman

[1] This stake was acquired in our timeline by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp for $250 million.

[2] Tri-Star will threaten legal action over the name, to which Triad will settle out of court with a promise to never market movies or TV under the Triad label, only under the subsidiary labels (Paramount, 20th Century, and Fox).

[3] In our timeline Turner tried and failed to acquire CBS in ’85 after the studio issued a self-tender for the remaining 21% of outstanding shares and he was unable to block the move in court. Here he has a little help from his new friends. Hat tip to @More Than A Feeling for the Turner Buys CBS idea and another to @El Pip for an assist on the finance side.

[4] The New York Times reported in 1985 that Helms had purchased several shares of CBS just before the TBS takeover attempt. No formal reprimands came of this action, in part because insider trading by US politicians wasn’t yet forbidden at the time (that rule only came about in the last decade).

[5] Quote is from our timeline up to this point, the rest is my addition.

[2] Tri-Star will threaten legal action over the name, to which Triad will settle out of court with a promise to never market movies or TV under the Triad label, only under the subsidiary labels (Paramount, 20th Century, and Fox).

Was Trinity not available?

Also, I've always wondered what Turner would actually do with the Columbia properties. Is CBS going to be rebranded as the alternate TNT here, or will CBS and TBS swap names, with TBS being the broadcast company and CBS joining CNN as the cable company since they have all the archival stuff Ted's built his empire on? Is Ted going to keep the Columbia brand going, or surrender it in favor of his own?

Last edited:
Fox owned by Gulf+Western? Interesting- I sense another attempt at UPN here, just done with more resources. New network to launch with a Star Trek flagshow show? Hopefully not Voyager...

Wonder how this Effects the comic book movie deals later?

Could just buy Tri-Star that would shut them up...

Ted Turner owns CBS... well that probably prevents Viacom. CBS didn’t have Disney’s ‘White Knights’ here then...

At least Atlanta gets some jobs out of it.

Last edited:
A few things to note about today's update:

1: Is Columbia, the movie studio, also owned by Ted Turner?

2: What's the deal with Nickelodeon at this point in this timeline?

3: How did Jim Henson react to the partnership between Ted Turner and Holmes-a-Court?

4: I'd give Fawcett Publishing, or really, what's left of it, to either Walt Disney Entertainment or Universal.

I suspect there might be a name change once jokes about 'Turner's Triads' and comparison to the Triad criminal syndicates start making the rounds.
It's Gulf + Western that owns Triad not Ted Turner.
Is CBS going to be rebranded as the alternate TNT here, or will CBS and TBS swap names, with TBS being the broadcast company and CBS joining CNN as the cable company since they have all the archival stuff Ted's built his empire on? Is Ted going to keep the Columbia brand going, or surrender it in favor of his own?
I could see this and I could all see Turner possibly changing the C in CBS to stand for Cable. No matter what he I just hope he one of them on network television. Will Married... with Children premier on his channel?
Hopefully not Voyager...
Why would it be Voyager, that's still a decade away, it'll be TNG of course.
1: Is Columbia, the movie studio, also owned by Ted Turner?
I think the two are unrelated to each other despite similar names, so probably no.
Ted Turner owns CBS... well that probably prevents Viacom.
(A version of) Viacom already exists at this time:
CBS didn’t have Disney’s ‘White Knights’ here then...
I still hope Disney still works/buys one of the other TV networks.
Fawcett Publishing
Is this the same as Fawcett Publications?
4: I'd give Fawcett Publishing, or really, what's left of it, to either Walt Disney Entertainment or Universal.
If this is the same as Fawcett Publications, which owns Fawcett Comics, than having Disney buying them would end Disney's deal with Marvel which could lead to Ron Perelman still buying Marvel.

Well, we've just jeopardized Watchmen's existance, and with it several future Chuck Norris "fact" memes.

I do hope Nick Crenshaw has offered the Great Khan some good alternative comic book developments to compensate...

Well, Watchmen came about when Alan Moore's muse hit him with a story involving the Charlton characters. Among various other Chuck Norris memes that came from that were "Was bitten by a viper. He walked away. The snake died in agony" and "He won the Vietnam War, and the U.S. politicians promptly surrendered."

Well, we've just jeopardized Watchmen's existance, and with it several future Chuck Norris "fact" memes.
I checked on the Internet, and apparently, the Charlton characters that inspired the Watchmen story were already purchased by DC in 1983, two years before the current date in this timeline. So, if you're a fan of that series, don't worry. I think it still exists ITTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.