Status
Not open for further replies.
The Log saw this one coming, did you?
A Show About…What, Exactly? Salem Falls (1990-1994)
From The TV Obsessive, by Hanmii Dahri-Mote, a regular column in TV Guide and other publications

Last issue I talked about 1989’s Jerry, the “show about nothing.” By contrast, today’s article is about David Lynch’s seminal surreal series Salem Falls, a show about…what, exactly? A murder mystery? Demonic possession? Supernatural dream dwarves? Psychic logs? Apple pie and coffee?

Oh, where to begin?

TwinPeaks_openingshotcredits.jpg

Not exactly this…

I guess we can start at “the top”, when Lynch's agent, Tony Krantz, suggested that he should do a TV show. Lynch was at first not interested, but Krantz talked up the idea of a small town where Lynch’s particular views of American life could be explored. “You should do a show about real life in America,” Krantz said, “your vision of America the same way you demonstrated it in Blue Velvet and Less than Zero.”[1]

Lynch, who had gained critical renown with Ronnie Rocket but failed to get any follow-up offers given the outrageously non-mainstream, non-commercial nature of his films, was running out of options. He decided to humor Krantz’s “small town” idea, reviewing the 1957 film Peyton Place as a suggestion. After exploring settings such as North Dakota (the show nearly got named “Brainard”), with the idea of the mystery and romance of the frontier west, the nostalgia of small-town America, and the dark and seedy underbelly of the American counterculture scene all coming together in a comedic and bathos-filled clash.

640px-Snoqualmie_Falls_in_June_2008.JPG

Dun-DUN (deee...deee...deee) Dun-Dun...

Not expecting much to come from it, Lynch brought up the idea to Diana Birkenfield at MGM Television while in production on Ronnie Rocket. She and Mel Brooks got him in touch with the production team of Joshua Brand & John Falsey, who loved the idea, having been kicking around ideas for a show set in Alaska[2]. The ideas merged and the show was ultimately drawn to Lynch’s childhood home in the Pacific Northwest, specifically a rural community in an old Cascades logging town called Salem Falls. The name was inspired by the magnificent Snoqualmie Falls, which ultimately ended up in the opening credits. The series would follow a combination of murder mystery, soap opera, and dark, character-driven comedy with the murder of the beautiful teenage Virginia Dare (Sheryl Lee, who also plays her cousin Maddy Ferguson) as a “hook” and McGuffin to draw in viewers, and where ultimately the oddball characters and their quirks and relationships and secrets would, in theory, hold on to them.

They took the idea to ABC where producer Chad Hoffman and ABC Entertainment Vice President Bob Iger loved the idea and ordered a pilot. The executives were mixed when they saw the pilot, in particular Michael Eisner, who thought that it was “too strange, too complicated, and too confusing” and lobbied to reject the pilot out of hand. His burgeoning rivalry with Iger may have played a part in the decision. Ultimately ABC turned down the show, which was taken to PFN, who’d gained a reputation at this point for being willing to gamble on the bizarre and non-mainstream. PFN greenlit the pilot, which did well with the profitable 18-25 demographic, and a half season was greenlit at $1.1 million an episode.

Salem Falls first aired in the fall of 1990 amid a massive media campaign that played up the mystery. And from the second that the moody resonance of the minimalist bass guitar notes of the theme rang amid pictures of industrial saws and sublime waterfalls, audiences knew that they were in for something unlike anything else that they had seen before. And indeed, the overt mystery of “who killed Virginia Dare?” became a public mantra of “who shot JR?” level. However, Lynch, Brand, and Falsey knew that the overt mystery could never hold the show forever, so instead the hope was to draw viewers into the “sublime mystery” of the spiritual, human, and dreamlike magical realism that underlie everything.

If Virginia Dare’s murder was the bait, the hook was the characters and the sinker the oddball writing. When Sheriff Harold Tubman (Michael Ontkean) and Deputy Sheriff Jim "Hawkeye" Chigliak (Michael Horse) proved unable to solve the mystery, they brought in FBI Special Agent Curt Darby (Kyle MacLachlan) to help solve the case. Agent Darby served as the show’s focus, relaying his observations and suspicions to his assistant back at headquarters through a miniature tape recorder in a noir-inspired pseudo-narration. Each episode would see him interview another strange and suspicious townsperson like Dare’s parents (Ray Wise and Grace Zabriskie), who seemed to be hiding something, Virginia’s bad boy boyfriend Bobby (Dana Ashbrook), manipulative businessman Jack Horne (Richard Beymer), his rival the lumber magnate Maurice Minnifield (Barry Corbin), abused diner waitress Shelley (Mädchen Amick), tomboy Bush Pilot (and Jack’s daughter and Virginia’s friend) Audrey Horne (Janine Turner), mill owner Jocelyn "Josie" Packard (Joan Chen), and level headed and gruff general store owner (but who’s hiding a dark secret) Ruth-Anne Miller (Peg Phillips).

6f749d88d0170a5aeea86df406f6b0a6da-19-twin-peaks-original.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

Makes just as much sense in this timeline (Image source “vulture.com”)

The cast is padded out by recurring but quirky townspeople like Deputy Hill’s eccentric son Ed Chigliak (Darren E. Burrows) who wants to be a director, Major Garland Briggs (Don Davis) who is Bobby's father (and the former subject of military experiments), Canadian crime boss (and Jack Horne’s and Maurice Minnifield’s sometimes business associate) Jean Renault (Michael Parks), and the mysterious and bizarre “Log Lady” (Catherine E. Coulson), whose “psychic log” acts as a fortune teller. And then there are the denizens of a dreamlike Red Room, Michael J. Anderson and Carel Struycken, who offer surreal advice and confounding pseudo-revelations, often said backwards.

And then there’s “B.O.B.” (Frank Silva), a demonic entity who may be the true villain.

And if any of this makes sense to you, then you can explain it to me, over coffee and blueberry pie.

But “sense” is not in Lynch’s repertoire. The mystery of Virginia Dare is not really the point. Instead, Salem Falls is like an extended surrealist soap opera, a dreamlike exploration of American small-town life. All of the characters approach things through a mixture of logic, suspicion, and magical thinking with the supernatural just on the other side of a thin, invisible wall all around. On one hand it’s pure mind-screw, on the other hand it’s a surreal satire of American society, and on the third hand it’s a quirky, character-driven oddball comedy. The series itself seems constantly pulled between the competing poles of Lynch’s dreamlike vision and Brand and Falsey’s quirky character comedy. And indeed, the network was constantly pushing for more of the latter and less of the former. The show attempts to balance these competing poles. It doesn’t always succeed, but when it does it’s as sublime as Snoqualmie Falls

t100_tv_twin-peaks1.jpg

Shown: a surprising percentage of the show's runtime (Image source “time.com”)

The network, due to fan demand, was also pressing for Lynch, Brand, and Falsey to reveal Dare’s killer, which, as Lynch astutely put it, “was missing the point”. They relented at the end of Season 2, with a huge, 2-hour special event, “Fire Walk with Me”, that drew record viewership. I won’t reveal the “killer” here just in case you care about decades-old spoilers – and remember that the “answer” is really missing the point – but needless to say once the “answer” was revealed, Season 3 saw viewership drop precipitously. However, with the quirky characters and some increasing interpersonal drama thanks to Brand and Falsey, the show held on to a reasonable viewership and saw another season before Lynch pulled out to return to film, and then squeaked out another season and a half under Brand and Falsey, the magical realism slowly leaking away in favor of quirky character studies. But without the balance between the strange and familiar, it became just another oddball ‘90s series with quirky characters among many, ironically increasingly indistinguishable from its many imitators.

Salem Falls would win multiple Emmys and Golden Globes and would become an icon of the 1990s. It was an immediate breakout in the US and Canada and became popular in Europe, particularly France and Italy, and in Japan, which would later relaunch the series as a Manga and Anime. It would spawn a direct-view “where are they now” miniseries in the 2010s. It would also become the target of constant and merciless satire and parody, which amused Lynch to no end.

The series would also spawn some attempted copycat series. The most famous and immediate of these was Sandy Veith’s[3] Southern Exposure on CBS, which saw a New York City doctor (Rob Morrow) open up a practice in the small Northern Georgia town of Pine Hill as a condition of his medical school scholarship, encountering many quirky “hillbilly” locals. It was reportedly Columbia CEO Ted Turner’s favorite show. But plenty of other shows followed at least some aspect over the years from the X-Files, which took the supernatural mystery and ran with it, to Picket Fences, which went for the weird and quirky.

Salem Falls, for all of its surrealist absurdism, has gone on to influence many more series since, and can largely be seen in hindsight as a truly transitional piece. It was in some ways a product of its time, and yet it was also a transformative show, marking a clear television watershed between the 1980s and 1990s. It was a show that probably never should have become as popular as it was given just how far out of the mainstream it was, and yet for a brief period of time it was the show to watch on American television.

[1] Krantz made the same quote in our timeline, but without reference to Less than Zero, obviously.

[2] In our timeline this became Northern Exposure.

[3] In our timeline Veith approached Universal with the idea of a NY doctor moving to the rural south around the same time Brand and Falsey approached Universal with their “Alaska” idea. In a later lawsuit the jury found Universal (but not Brand and Falsey, who were “fed” the specifics of the idea by Universal) guilty of plagiarism and awarded Veith $10 million in damages and legal fees. Here he went to Columbia and explicitly made the southern setting Georgia knowing that he’d appeal to the new “Y’allywood” based CBS.

Last edited:
Salem Falls will be one of those ‘water cooler’ shows and I doubt ITTL me would watch it any more than OTL me watched Twin Peaks as the American nostalgia and oddness of it all just passed me by.

Losing Northern Exposure is a bit of a shame as I liked that one.

I am now wondering just how good ITTL’s X-Files is going to be…

Also watched it yesterday, so I am also wondering how good Death Becomes Her will be ITTL given the changes in cgi.

Nice work @Geekhis Khan

Speaking of Southern series, if Matlock is still a series in TTL, it'll probably air on CBS instead of NBC (or move from NBC to CBS), given that it is set in Atlanta, and last longer...

Also, I expect Murder, She Wrote to last longer in TTL, given that it likely won't be going up against Friends in TTL...

I was never a Twin Peaks guy, but interesting.
Also watched it yesterday, so I am also wondering how good Death Becomes Her will be ITTL given the changes in cgi.
Considering how production was a bit of a nightmare due to the limits of OTL's CG, I can expect it goes a lot smoother. There was also a Tracy Ulman character that was removed from a film and a subplot, and you may read about it here:

Its on my mind's "Films to watch" list, and I'd love to see what comes of it.

Watching Twin Peaks on DVD in high school, and having to put together what happened in the pilot from the internet because that wasn't included in the box set, was such a big deal for me. Not just because I now understood those Simpsons jokes, but I realized how weird fiction could be and I wanted more. Glad to see that ITTL folks can still enjoy damn fine coffee and cherry pie that'll kill you.

Not getting into Twin Peaks was an important moment for me; it was when I realised my belief that I like Weird Stuff in fiction needed to be modified as "I like Weird Stuff as long as I can see an underlying logic of some kind". Doctor Who and Discworld gave me that. So did Northerrn Exposure. Twin Peaks, at least to a teenager who kept missing episodes, just Didn't Make Any Sense.

Not getting into Twin Peaks was an important moment for me; it was when I realised my belief that I like Weird Stuff in fiction needed to be modified as "I like Weird Stuff as long as I can see an underlying logic of some kind". Doctor Who and Discworld gave me that. So did Northerrn Exposure. Twin Peaks, at least to a teenager who kept missing episodes, just Didn't Make Any Sense.

I can see that, especially with the revival (though I think Lynch was making an intentional point about remakes), but the show does a lot right that a lot of shows cribbing from it don't. One element that Twin Peaks gets right that a lot of mysteries don't is centering the victim and the void left by them rather than the culprit and crime. Too many other shows have the victim be a cardboard cutout or a macguffin while Laura Palmer/Virginia Dare is a fully character. Fire Walk With Me is great.

I did try to make things ambiguous, but it can be hard to avoid telling grammar when one can just as easily go the wrong direction and imply the other side. Even then, what was most critical to me was demonstrating that dark, fatalistic side of Jim that became so foreboding in hindsight in our world. I'm glad it came across as intended, as I didn't want it to look like I was exploiting tragedy for drama here.
You definitely did well on that front, so kudos. Of course, I didn’t draw attention to the post because I suspected as much anyway, though I admit my surprise that so many folks apparently DID miss it; I tend to forget that others aren’t going to narrow in on the details that I do (especially since I binged the first few years ITTL while others were both posting and reading as updates came up).

However long Jim, and anyone else, lives into the next 30 years (my current guess as to where it likely ends), the impact is still something wonderful to see.
1. Still largely the "silver and glass with lights" look of Classic Who, but with some subtle neon accents and random triangles since it is the late '80s/early '90s and some things are required by International Law.

2. Stay tuned.
1. I must resist the urge to actively speculate on DW, given how much the NPH post derailed things, though I’m going to guess that David Tennant is the most likely OTL actor to get the part (given the absurd level of fan he is), if not until the early 2000s at the soonest…

As a side, I recall Peter Davison regretted taking the role when he did, and now I’m wondering what a timeline where Richard Griffiths was the 5th Doctor would look like. But that’s off-topic.

2. Not being the biggest Evil Dead (or horror genre in general) fan, I’m mostly interested given how much Sam Raimi’s been shaking s*it up ITTL; the man’s a living legend when it comes to SFX, especially practical effects. I can scarcely envision what his thumbprint made Batman look like, and that’s just the start… Though now that I think of it, I need to know if Raimi fixed/fixes the “restricted neck” problem ahead of schedule - intimidating as it looks when Bats does a full body turn, it’s highly impractical on the field and if nothing else, I liked that TDK addressed it in-universe IOTL as part of the development of the suit over time.
This one was a fun consideration for me. On one hand there were enough entertainment butterflies flying around at this point that I was tempted to have Jerry S. get a job in LA and write something completely different, perhaps four shallow people in LA. On the other hand Jerry seemed like just enough of a NYC snob to chose a struggling existence in upper Manhattan rather than go anywhere else, and since Seinfeld was inherently autobiographical to a point (though greatly exaggerated) it seemed likely that he'd be inspired by the inherent absurdity of the NYC single life. But the biggest established butterfly here was that Mel Brooks discovered Michael Richards already, so having Larry David fill in for Kramer (who was based on a guy that he and Jerry knew who frankly comes across a lot more like a Larry David character) was a natural. In TTL Kramer will be a lot more like his character from Curb Your Enthusiasm, and as such be very much ahead of its time.
Being as I am not a big fan of Seinfeld, or really most US sitcoms these days (the laugh tracks don’t work as well when your tastes change, or the more you watch Brit sitcoms that generally lack them and feel more organic), I didn’t pick up on Brooks’ finding Michael Richards earlier leading to a different Kramer casting. Considering that IOTL, “Seinfeld is Unfunny” is the trope for how something revolutionary for its time feels dated later when other products imitate it (oftentimes revolutionising its attributes further), I wonder if Larry David’s being Kramer helps Jerry age better ITTL with general audiences; it will on the matter of being a more cult classic (as opposed to being THE big show of its time) of course, but that alone doesn’t mean the older thing still sticks out as great even later on. Look at The Godfather for example, being a phenomenon at its time yet still almost timeless decades later…

However, let me warn you: I’m not going to forget anytime soon that you didn’t even know that Friends had six leads, nor will it stop being amusing to me. Both because it’s EASY to look up that fact without watching even one episode (and when corrected the first time, you still thought it was five!), but also because I was half-convinced that Friends Like Us having four leads was a sign it was either: a) a new show that existed separate from Friends, existing as a result of the butterflies; b) the overhauled replacement version of OTL!Friends due to more specifically imitating Jerry; or c) a bit of both. Until you admitted as such, it simply being the same show with a typo (and different dressing) completely didn’t occur to me, which due to its accidental nature is… amusing to me personally.
In this TL we have, at this point in the Disney TV Animated Canon there's Duck Duck Goof as TFoA noted and The Rescuers, based on the classic feature animation with a soupcon of Rescue Rangers to it, and also Mickey in the City. More shows coming soon.

The theme would be written by Mark Mueller who wrote the Duck Tales theme, so there you go.
Bit confused now, I thought Duck Duck Goof was a two-show block but now it’s… a double-length animated show? Or am I misreading this post?

Regardless of which it is, Mark Mueller writing the OP is only good news. Of course, the fact the show(s) coming out in the 80s mean no “let’s be 90s-style hip and kwuel!” also helps (Goof Troop regrettably became an OTL victim of this, though not nearly as much as some other shows were; re: Bonkers and Quack Pack).
Marvel never sold the Fantastic Four rights. TBD on Steel.
I think at the POD, the only film rights they HAD sold were the Spider-Man rights, correct? As unless I’m mistaken they still had most of their big IPs, which already puts them ahead of OTL where they continue sharing SM with Sony and can’t do independent Hulk or Namor the Sub-Mariner since Universal owns those (in a strange deal as those film rights don’t seem to expire unlike Sony’s SM ownership, but Marvel CAN use the characters as long as they’re part of other stories).

Having successful Batman and Spider-Man films coming out side-by-side, in the 90s though? I don’t know how any world could handle that… though in fairness, it’s almost a reversal of Nolan and Raimi’s OTL trilogies (the first instalment of one released between the second and third of the other), just over a decade early.

Regarding Steel, should we assume that the situation with Lois & Clark that led to The Death of Superman happened pretty much as IOTL? While I’ve no doubt someone would have codified Death Is Cheap in comics eventually if Superman hadn’t, as noted the reasons it happened as it did WERE situational. This is irrelevant to whether Doomsday was the “killer” (or even exists), it was a case of “DC editorial told us the big story we planned had to be delayed, so we’re doing the one crazy thing we can think of to buy time”. I recall one post mentioned TDoS, so…
Isn't that sort of what the show did IOTL, though?
Not to rag on Bonkers, but if they could do a Roger Rabbit tv series like planned, why wouldn’t they? Disney kinda-sorta owns the rights to the IP, don’t they? Or did I jump the gun…? Either way, it’s perhaps the most situational Disney Afternoon show with the most likelihood of not materialising anything close to what it was IOTL… well, maybe behind Mighty Ducks and Quack Pack (as for Gummy Bears, it still exists if in a different form because Eisner still made it).

Actually, I don’t recall but did we still get The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?
I'd like to see Michael Jai White play Blade. Also, would it be possible for Chris Savino to do The Loud House from 1999-2005, and then Foe Paws (an OTL pilot he did about a family of cats) from 2005-2008.
You’re assuming Savino gets the same ideas ITTL, as well as him not potentially getting the boot sooner… which may not be necessary if the Henson magic makes him (and others like Joss Whedon) into better people who possibly don’t even do the bad s*it they did IOTL.
With regards to Jason Alexander, he's said that he doesn't mind the Seinfeld typecasting, because, before that, he was in the movie Pretty Woman, where his character tried to sexually assault Julia Roberts, so he'd be known for that instead (and he got backlash from random women he met on the street after the movie came out)...
Besides the side-effect of “must have funny non-human sidekick” that led to his being the most obnoxious gargoyle in THoND I have nothing against Mr. Alexander; he seems to be a pleasant fellow, so I’m glad he was able to shake Pretty Woman in both timelines (though it’s human stupidity to blame actors for their characters’ actions and not the fault of the film itself).
Eh, non-human characters is kinda Pixar's thing.

Toy Story: what if toys had souls?
Cars: what if cars had souls?
Ratatouille: what if rats had souls?
WALL-E: what if robots had souls?
Inside Out: what if emotions had souls?
Soul: what if souls had souls?
Disney is arguably even more apprehensive about doing sequels since Roy is in greater creative control of the company and Jim might not be interested in pushing for sequels himself unless John Lasseter or other employees in Disney 3D call for a sequel, which could be interesting company drama for another time. Perhaps Toy Story 2 is where they'll clamor for one.

Luckily, I doubt Disney will be making sequels out for money so we can safely butterfly the direct-to-video sequels, which was a huge stinker in the Disney canon that most people ignore.

I personally don't mind the character designs of Cars, as it did provide a unique element to the film, and one that was easily marketable to kids. I don't think it will be the same if Lightning McQueen and the rest of the cast were humans, and I doubt anyone at Disney 3D would be going for that path for the film.

I think the plotline for Cars 3 is more likely to survive than Cars 2 ITTL, imo, thanks to Lightning becoming a mentor figure being more appealing to Jim and the rest of Disney, either during his prime or at the tail end of career (I prefer the latter, like OTL). Plus, there's no Mater to take the spotlight from Lightning McQueen.

Luca: What if fish people did things?
Truly groundbreaking from Pixar.
The issue with Cars was pointed out by Schaffrillas Productions on YouTube: they don’t need to be cars. Unlike most Pixar stories featuring anthropomorphised beings, this is a world in which said beings outright replace humanity, while at the same time acting just like us; the plot would work just as well if Lightning McQueen was a human race car driver, and same for the King, Chick Hicks and Doc Hudson; everyone else is tangentially related to cars in occupation, but doesn’t need to be one. And while I like how the plot is executed (it’s pretty cliche, but done VERY well - particularly Lightning throwing the race out of integrity to spare the King’s dignity, while Hicks’ foul play to win leaves him disgraced), it again…does not NEED the cast to be anthro-cars. Now, if it was like Toy Story where they (somehow) interacted without humans noticing (or hell, a human DOES notice)… at worst it’s Herbie the Love Bug in animation, but at least it has a purpose for being such.

As for Mater, regardless of whether you think he worked as a supporting character he definitely DIDN’T work as a lead. He’s definitely a Kid Appeal Character, and like any it depends how you like the comedian portraying him (going all the way back to Robin Williams’ Genie codifying that idea in animation), but he’s pretty inoffensive IMHO.
Salem Falls will be one of those ‘water cooler’ shows and I doubt ITTL me would watch it any more than OTL me watched Twin Peaks as the American nostalgia and oddness of it all just passed me by.

Losing Northern Exposure is a bit of a shame as I liked that one.
The fact the shows merged ITTL is intriguing to me, as it plays into the unpredictably chaotic nature of these things. And Salem Falls gets to eke out 5 seasons due to Lynch’s fellow creative partners helping to balance out his less approachable themes with more grounded elements… To be fair, part of this is probably because few shows that have lasted long enough get the axe until they’ve aired enough episodes for cable reruns, and with cable on the rise in the 90s and the fourth season (60-70 episodes, I’m guessing) falling just short of it? I’m guessing that Brand and Falsey were given a shortened fifth and final season, with which they probably were able to give Salem Falls a more resolutive conclusion as opposed to the OTL cliffhanger that Twin Peaks ended on. Hopefully there’s no revival in that case, especially if it’s not needed.

Along with being on the air longer and leaving more impact, I imagine the 70/80-something episode show helps to give Lynch more of a career boost when he returns to film.
I am now wondering just how good ITTL’s X-Files is going to be…
If Chris Carter can be convinced to stop retconning the show’s apparent myth arc (and the constant Mulder’s sister mystery, AND the CSM’s obnoxious immortality)…
The OTL film was so gruelling for Meryl Streep that she was put off excessive CGI and special effects for life; can’t be worse than THAT at least!
I can see that, especially with the revival (though I think Lynch was making an intentional point about remakes), but the show does a lot right that a lot of shows cribbing from it don't. One element that Twin Peaks gets right that a lot of mysteries don't is centering the victim and the void left by them rather than the culprit and crime. Too many other shows have the victim be a cardboard cutout or a macguffin while Laura Palmer/Virginia Dare is a fully character. Fire Walk With Me is great.
You’re both right. I was introduced to Twin Peaks in university, and as a 19-going-on-20 year old who prefers long but finite stories with a direction I wasn’t going to appreciate it as much as my friend did. Hindsight being what it is, I can admire the impact of a single person’s death in such a tight-knit community and Lynch’s breaking down the underbelly of a seemingly-wholesome small country town all the more (even if I’ll never relate to it, being that I grew up in a 30,00-odd populated country town that’s not big enough to be fully urban but is too large for that inherent familiarity).

However, let me warn you: I’m not going to forget anytime soon that you didn’t even know that Friends had six leads, nor will it stop being amusing to me. Both because it’s EASY to look up that fact without watching even one episode (and when corrected the first time, you still thought it was five!), but also because I was half-convinced that Friends Like Us having four leads was a sign it was either: a) a new show that existed separate from Friends, existing as a result of the butterflies; b) the overhauled replacement version of OTL!Friends due to more specifically imitating Jerry; or c) a bit of both. Until you admitted as such, it simply being the same show with a typo (and different dressing) completely didn’t occur to me, which due to its accidental nature is… amusing to me personally.
And what makes this whole idea of only four main characters work ITTL is the fact that Chandler & Phoebe were originally intended as secondary characters:
Wikipedia said:
Chandler and Phoebe had originally been written as more secondary characters who were just there to provide humor around the other four; Matthew Perry described Chandler in the pilot script as "an observer of other people's lives".

I assumed from the beginning that Jim wasn't going to die in 1990 because having him die at the same time as IOTL would be terrible storytelling, and Geekhis is at least reasonably competent.

Not to rag on Bonkers, but if they could do a Roger Rabbit tv series like planned, why wouldn’t they? Disney kinda-sorta owns the rights to the IP, don’t they? Or did I jump the gun…? Either way, it’s perhaps the most situational Disney Afternoon show with the most likelihood of not materialising anything close to what it was IOTL… well, maybe behind Mighty Ducks and Quack Pack (as for Gummi Bears, it still exists if in a different form because Eisner still made it).
Well, if I were to give the benefit of the doubt, Bonkers does serve as the Dynomutt to Roger Rabbit's Scooby-Doo. So similar to each other, yet with a gimmick or two to not make it too samey.

As for Mighty Ducks? If it has to be an animated series, I'd go with the Devlin approach of going for a teen demographic with all-ages humor sprinkled in.
Otherwise, young adult sitcom or bust.
Actually, I don’t recall but did we still get The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?
I second this question.

What if Disney were to take an IP they already have and make an animated movie out of it? I was going to suggest creating an original film where a car is secretly alive and interacting with human society when I realized that they might as well make an animated Herbie movie. They could even include Dean Jones in the voice cast.

So we finally have Twin Peaks, known as Salem Falls, eh? Another series that I haven't watched in earnest, as I wasn't even born to see it during its heyday, but considering its rabid cult fanbase, it's gotta be good! :openedeyewink:

Interesting how butterflies led to changes in shows like the aforementioned Salem Falls to even Southern Exposure. I wonder how the X-Files will be treated ITTL with the greater success of Salem.

black-yukon-sucker-punch-twin-peaks.jpg

(Image source: Welcome to Twin Peaks)
This post really reminded of the Black Yukon Sucker Punch from Twin Peaks and damn...even the coffee was weird in this series.

You definitely did well on that front, so kudos. Of course, I didn’t draw attention to the post because I suspected as much anyway, though I admit my surprise that so many folks apparently DID miss it; I tend to forget that others aren’t going to narrow in on the details that I do (especially since I binged the first few years ITTL while others were both posting and reading as updates came up).

However long Jim, and anyone else, lives into the next 30 years (my current guess as to where it likely ends), the impact is still something wonderful to see.
I want Jim to live into modern day so he can be a cooky indie content creator in his retirement. That's probably my ultimate guilty pleasure in the far future of the timeline: Jim Henson doing weird and unusual stuff like Adam Savage or some of the older content creators on the net, but he does it not because of the money, but because it's fun.

The closest CC that I know that Jim would probably be like if he created content is Worthikids, in my opinion (exceptional talent, unique storylines, weird characters, very indie), but that's just me rambling 😉

1. I must resist the urge to actively speculate on DW, given how much the NPH post derailed things, though I’m going to guess that David Tennant is the most likely OTL actor to get the part (given the absurd level of fan he is), if not until the early 2000s at the soonest…
I really hope that David Tennant gets to be the Doctor at some point too. I adored the 10th so much that it would be a shame if his infectious charisma and charm was not a part of the British revival.

As for Mater, regardless of whether you think he worked as a supporting character he definitely DIDN’T work as a lead. He’s definitely a Kid Appeal Character, and like any it depends how you like the comedian portraying him (going all the way back to Robin Williams’ Genie codifying that idea in animation), but he’s pretty inoffensive IMHO.
His status as a popular comic relief is probably why he took the spotlight from Lightning in Cars 2, which was a bad choice. If his sidekick was a less of an impactful character to audiences then it's possible we could avert the Cars 2 storyline and go with the mentor plot of 3 instead.

What if Disney were to take an IP they already have and make an animated movie out of it? I was going to suggest creating an original film where a car is secretly alive and interacting with human society when I realized that they might as well make an animated Herbie movie. They could even include Dean Jones in the voice cast.
I think Disney would get a lot of traction from doing The Lone Ranger or Zorro in either live-action or animation too.

I want Jim to live into modern day so he can be a cooky indie content creator in his retirement. That's probably my ultimate guilty pleasure in the far future of the timeline: Jim Henson doing weird and unusual stuff like Adam Savage or some of the older content creators on the net, but he does it not because of the money, but because it's fun.
I'd follow him ITTL.
I've got a better idea! An animated miniseries as part of Disney's World of Magic that crosses over the two shows. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about stuntwork.
If this did happen they couldn't use the Don Diego de la Vega version of Zorro because he and the Lone Ranger operated decades apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.