Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to Jason Alexander, he's said that he doesn't mind the Seinfeld typecasting, because, before that, he was in the movie Pretty Woman, where his character tried to sexually assault Julia Roberts, so he'd be known for that instead (and he got backlash from random women he met on the street after the movie came out)...

PNWKing

Banned
I wonder if New Line Cinema is going to get bought? If so, it could be bought by Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Hershey, News Corporation, Ford, General Motors, ConAgra, Johnson & Johnson, Hilton, Gannett, Hearst, Nestle, General Mills, Panasonic, Westinghouse, RCA, or Quaker Oats.

to be honest for me it wasn’t a case of “will Jim survive 1990?” but rather, “HOW will Jim survive 1990?”
This is why I'm not averse to spoilers: until I learn the context it becomes something to watch out for, something I might have missed the first viewing, or something I wouldn't have appreciated the setup for if I hadn't known it was coming.

Jerry! sounds like fun, looking forward to seeing more from Jerry&Larry Productions

I did try to make things ambiguous, but it can be hard to avoid telling grammar when one can just as easily go the wrong direction and imply the other side. Even then, what was most critical to me was demonstrating that dark, fatalistic side of Jim that became so foreboding in hindsight in our world. I'm glad it came across as intended, as I didn't want it to look like I was exploiting tragedy for drama here.
I can understand the fear behind having Jim's close encounter be seen as exploiting tragedy for drama. Still, it does make sense to me since Jim always had this side to him of not being a bother to anyone that he has always had to deal with while also being surrounded by people that did lose a person that was similar to him like Dick. Perhaps we'll see Jim grow to become a better man after Dick Nunis's intervention and his interaction with Terry Pratchett, as I do worry that he could double down hard on his workaholic tendencies. Sometimes I just want him to take a break, you know?

Perhaps if the Route 66 reality show was a thing, it would allow Jim to relax and take a breather.

Intriguing idea. I'll try to remember it for later.
I do wonder what would happen if Michael Eisner wasn't bound by the spectre of Disneyland Paris.....

Any chance of preventing Rush Limbaugh from becoming a nationally syndicated show?
I doubt we'll see Rush Limbaugh being butterflied from his show because of Reagan and the FCC's dissolution of the fairness doctrine, according to Wikipedia.

I just realized how much of a vicious firebrand he could potentially be against Jim and the rest of Walt Disney Entertainment in the future. He's certainly not going to play nice against them.

PNWKing

Banned
I wonder if the Route 66 docuseries/reality show leads to a certain movie still being made in spite of the fact that in all odds it shouldn't be made due to the butterfly effect. Considering that ITTL, John Lassater is already mentioned as working for Disney, that means that all the pieces are in place.
And while we're at it, talking about John Lassater, why not have Jim tell John Lassater not to be such a pervert. I mean, Jim was a bit of a skirt-chaser himself, but I could see him telling John that the occasional skirt-chasing isn't bad, as long as he treats women with respect.

I wonder if the Route 66 docuseries/reality show leads to a certain movie still being made in spite of the fact that in all odds it shouldn't be made due to the butterfly effect. Considering that ITTL, John Lassater is already mentioned as working for Disney, that means that all the pieces are in place.
Not a bad origin story for Cars, although it'd probably be different if it's a homage to Jim Henson's reality show or the old 1960s Route 66 TV series. Perhaps a overworked salaryman or a hippie vagabond instead of a boisterous and arrogant speedster?

And while we're at it, talking about John Lassater, why not have Jim tell John Lassater not to be such a pervert. I mean, Jim was a bit of a skirt-chaser himself, but I could see him telling John that the occasional skirt-chasing isn't bad, as long as he treats women with respect.
"Being in 3D does not mean you have to be such a D with women".
Or at least somewhere along those lines.

Not a bad origin story for Cars, although it'd probably be different if it's a homage to Jim Henson's reality show or the old 1960s Route 66 TV series. Perhaps a overworked salaryman or a hippie vagabond instead of a boisterous and arrogant speedster?
Not necessarily, it could just result in Mater being replaced by a character based on and maybe voiced by Jim Henson.

Not necessarily, it could just result in Mater being replaced by a character based on and maybe voiced by Jim Henson.
It's just that the 1960s TV show and the reality show Henson was planning was based on ordinary dudes just traveling Route 66 together, so it's likely that's where they'll start the story. Lightning McQueen could survive intact as the main character, but he might not be the first in mind when creating the first drafts of the story, maybe as a person that could spice up the entire narrative while providing a moral lesson to kids through character development.

I agree on Mater being replaced by someone based on Jim Henson as a reference, perhaps even voicing the character himself, being a person that has mellowed down a bit in Radiator Springs after a workaholic streak.

Perhaps also replacing Filmore (the hippie VW bus voiced by George Carlin)?
Yeah, imagine Filmore as the sidekick to Lightning, lol. Humor will be a bit slower but probably less grating than Mater's dumb slapstick. Not sure if that's a win or a loss though.

Even better if Jim's around for the sequels and pulls the plug on Cars 3 and the stupid Planes spinoff. Even the kids (that I know of) were getting sick of it.

I personally like the concept of Cars 3. McQueen dealing with getting older and learning to step away from the racetrack to become a mentor was a good idea. If anything Cars 2 is the one that can be nixed.

Sequels can be a good idea. It’s just that the people making it need to determine whether or not the story needs a sequel, and not just make one just to make money. That’s a factor but you need to maintain creative standards.

Toy Story 1-3 had legit reasons to exist. The only reason 4 exists is money.

I'd favor dropping Cars 2, 1 and 3 make a complete story on their own. I've also seen it questioned if they need to be cars, it's an interesting artistic choice but as far as I can tell nothing would change if they were people.

In comparison to Toy Story, where they need to be toys for the plots to work.

Eh, non-human characters is kinda Pixar's thing.

Toy Story: what if toys had souls?
Cars: what if cars had souls?
Ratatouille: what if rats had souls?
WALL-E: what if robots had souls?
Inside Out: what if emotions had souls?
Soul: what if souls had souls?

Sequels can be a good idea. It’s just that the people making it need to determine whether or not the story needs a sequel, and not just make one just to make money. That’s a factor but you need to maintain creative standards.
Disney is arguably even more apprehensive about doing sequels since Roy is in greater creative control of the company and Jim might not be interested in pushing for sequels himself unless John Lasseter or other employees in Disney 3D call for a sequel, which could be interesting company drama for another time. Perhaps Toy Story 2 is where they'll clamor for one.

Luckily, I doubt Disney will be making sequels out for money so we can safely butterfly the direct-to-video sequels, which was a huge stinker in the Disney canon that most people ignore.

I'd favor dropping Cars 2, 1 and 3 make a complete story on their own. I've also seen it questioned if they need to be cars, it's an interesting artistic choice but as far as I can tell nothing would change if they were people.
I personally don't mind the character designs of Cars, as it did provide a unique element to the film, and one that was easily marketable to kids. I don't think it will be the same if Lightning McQueen and the rest of the cast were humans, and I doubt anyone at Disney 3D would be going for that path for the film.

Cars 3 - the second one can stay. Though I'd argue that Toy Story's getting stale too.
I personally like the concept of Cars 3. McQueen dealing with getting older and learning to step away from the racetrack to become a mentor was a good idea. If anything Cars 2 is the one that can be nixed.
I think the plotline for Cars 3 is more likely to survive than Cars 2 ITTL, imo, thanks to Lightning becoming a mentor figure being more appealing to Jim and the rest of Disney, either during his prime or at the tail end of career (I prefer the latter, like OTL). Plus, there's no Mater to take the spotlight from Lightning McQueen.

Eh, non-human characters is kinda Pixar's thing.
Luca: What if fish people did things?
Truly groundbreaking from Pixar.

I know right! Disney needs to have a cyberpunk thriller of their own and this is just such a great fit for WDSS.
Yes it would be and Disney would need some alternatives to (American) animated and some live action productions.

And some of the series can be long lasting.

Though one series I’ll push for is Patlabor.

Though others could come.

Status
Not open for further replies.