Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a better idea! An animated miniseries as part of Disney's World of Magic that crosses over the two shows. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about stuntwork.
That sounds pretty interesting. Let's hope some animator pitches that idea for WoM, perhaps as a testing ground for future Zorro/The Lone Ranger adaptations down the line.

I'd follow him ITTL.
I'd also follow him on BzzTube (the ITTL equivalent of YouTube??). Heck, he could actually be a directplayer/streamer and I wouldn't even flinch.

If this did happen they couldn't use the Don Diego de la Vega version of Zorro because he and the Lone Ranger operated decades apart.
Alternatively, you can excuse the different decades in an animated project because of how common anachronisms are in the medium. Like, really common.
In a live-action project, however? That's less justifyable, even if both characters did begin massively famous trends in kid culture back in their debut years on the air.

Southern Exposure on CBS, which saw a New York City doctor (Rob Morrow) open up a practice in the small Northern Georgia town of Pine Hill as a condition of his medical school scholarship, encountering many quirky “hillbilly” locals.
Reading the description at the start I was wondering what would happen to Northern Exposure.

The different setting means some character changes. You won't need a bush pilot, Chris might need to be a full ex-con since fleeing to Georgia doesn't make sense,
Ed and Marilyn's backgrounds might have to change.

Actually looking at he cast list I think quite a few could be translated to Georgia without much change.

The different setting means some character changes. You won't need a bush pilot, Chris might need to be a full ex-con since fleeing to Georgia doesn't make sense,
For the lattermost, you could still have them be native americans, just cherokee or a similar southeastern woodlands tribe. If not, there's always them being black,
For the former, you could just have her be a bus driver, or train conductor, or regular passenger pilot.

I didn't watch NE, honestly, so I won't be much help.

Honestly, maybe instead of Southern Exposure, its Southern Comfort, though its just me.

Last edited:
Reading the description at the start I was wondering what would happen to Northern Exposure.

Actually looking at he cast list I think quite a few could be translated to Georgia without much change.
The question is how much of Northern Exposure was based on Sandy Veith's Collects script and how much were contributions from Joshua Brand & John Falsey.

Ed Chigliak already exists in Salem Falls as Deputy Sheriff Jim "Hawkeye" Chigliak's son as are Maurice Minnifield and Ruth-Ann Miller. Shelly, not given a surname, could be a fusion of Shelly Briggs from Twin Peaks and Shelly Tango from Northern Exposure and Audrey Horne sounds more like Maggie O'Connell than OTL's Audrey Horne.

PNWKing

Banned
I just had a thought if TTL Cars becomes a thing as a spin-off of Henson's Route 66 show. I liked the idea of having the protagonist being an overworked salaryman. My thought was that the "overworked salaryman" could be a 1977 or 1978 Chrysler LeBaron.

I just had a thought if TTL Cars becomes a thing as a spin-off of Henson's Route 66 show. I liked the idea of having the protagonist being an overworked salaryman. My thought was that the "overworked salaryman" could be a 1977 or 1978 Chrysler LeBaron.
I do still support the lead being that character instead of Lightning McQueen (unless there's proof that John Lasseter pushed for that character initially OTL), even if that doesn't pan out in the final cut of the film.

Bit off the current topic(s), but I just had a delicious thought: the 90s Spider-Man series could feature Dr. Otto “Doc Ock” Octavius in one film, being as he is one of Pete’s most iconic foes, but who might be cast to play him? Well… how about Danny DeVito himself?

Don’t go saying you can’t see it, either; DeVito would be the correct age range, a fitting build and appearance (as traditional Doctor Octopus is a stout man) which would be compensated for by his tentacles, and his aggressive intensity… Mwah!

Alternatively, we could have Dustin Hoffman, but for me DeVito would be perfection. Perhaps the only actor better for the role than OTL’s Alfred Molina (so good they brought him back for the MCU, as the exact same character no less!)
For the lattermost, you could still have them be native americans, just cherokee or a similar southeastern woodlands tribe. If not, there's always them being black,
For the former, you could just have her be a bus driver, or train conductor, or regular passenger pilot.

Honestly, maybe instead of Southern Exposure, its Southern Comfort, though its just me.
Interesting ideas there, though the ethnicities of said characters could go either way and be just as interesting (maybe a combination of some African-Americans and some First Nations? Perhaps a Mexican or two; Ted Turner does love his sugar-coated diversity, so he would be supportive of such)… Though now I’m wondering how SE (though frankly I agree to preferring Southern Comfort as a title, it feels… more suitable, shall we say, for the geographic change, as well as fitting more with such phrases, than Southern Exposure) plays out; from which years does it run (does it start in 1990, or maybe 1991?), do they manage to keep Rob Morrow as the lead throughout and how many seasons of what length do they have (6 like OTL!Northwest Exposure? Do they have more, or less than that? And are the first two seasons both less than 10 episodes?)

I love how despite TP and NE being merged by the collaborative efforts of their three creators, TTL still ends up having Veith creating the more distinct show based off the latter (with its discarded elements) while Salem Falls took more from the former. Seems like the best of both worlds if you ask me. :-D
I'd follow him ITTL.
Would be hilarious if he became a collaborator with small-time budding creators… like say, a young Monty Oum in the late 2000s? And he helps the animator with storytelling when he wants to do his own show, along with preventing a need to RT deciding to sell themselves to a larger conglomerate (so… what would have become RWBY IOTL is better managed overall and hopefully doesn’t lose its creator).

Gah. Look what you just did, making me think so far ahead of anything logistically predictable. You monster. ^.^ ;-P
If this did happen they couldn't use the Don Diego de la Vega version of Zorro because he and the Lone Ranger operated decades apart.
Would be a shame that we’ll probably lose The Mask of Zorro, though we could well get something even better. Like a movie which doesn’t have its legacy tarnished by a s*itty sequel, for example.

Last edited:
Speaking of Southern series, if Matlock is still a series in TTL, it'll probably air on CBS instead of NBC (or move from NBC to CBS), given that it is set in Atlanta, and last longer...

Also, I expect Murder, She Wrote to last longer in TTL, given that it likely won't be going up against Friends in TTL...
Dean Hargrove's earlier legal show was Perry Mason on CBS, so it makes sense he'd approach CBS, and yea, Turner would jump on it, so let's call it a CBS show ITTL.

However, let me warn you: I’m not going to forget anytime soon that you didn’t even know that Friends had six leads, nor will it stop being amusing to me. Both because it’s EASY to look up that fact without watching even one episode (and when corrected the first time, you still thought it was five!), but also because I was half-convinced that Friends Like Us having four leads was a sign it was either: a) a new show that existed separate from Friends, existing as a result of the butterflies; b) the overhauled replacement version of OTL!Friends due to more specifically imitating Jerry; or c) a bit of both. Until you admitted as such, it simply being the same show with a typo (and different dressing) completely didn’t occur to me, which due to its accidental nature is… amusing to me personally.
And what makes this whole idea of only four main characters work ITTL is the fact that Chandler & Phoebe were originally intended as secondary characters:

The fact that I didn't watch Friends, nor even really care enough about it to look it up, should tell you how much attention I plan to give it. If someone has an idea I can add a couple paragraphs to some future post, but really, I just couldn't get into it.

And laugh it up, @Caellach Tiger Eye, it ain't easy juggling the entire pop culture world and trying to be a) on time when I have a full time job and a family and b) not accidentally contradicting myself or making dumb mistakes. Even keeping Disney straight is a challenge. I doubt many of you appreciate how much work this TL is unless you've done one yourself. Comments like this just exhaust me and make me wonder why I bother.

The question is how much of Northern Exposure was based on Sandy Veith's Collects script and how much were contributions from Joshua Brand & John Falsey.

Ed Chigliak already exists in Salem Falls as Deputy Sheriff Jim "Hawkeye" Chigliak's son as are Maurice Minnifield and Ruth-Ann Miller. Shelly, not given a surname, could be a fusion of Shelly Briggs from Twin Peaks and Shelly Tango from Northern Exposure and Audrey Horne sounds more like Maggie O'Connell than OTL's Audrey Horne.
As I understand it Brand and Falsey created the supporting characters for Northern Exposure since they essentially created the entire show except for the concept of "NYC doctor in a small rural town". That concept and the New York doctor from a prestigious medical college was apparently all Veith, who wanted a southern setting.

So some of you (e.g. nick_c) noticed a lot of the NE characters ended up in slightly modified form in SF. Yes, that was the influence of B&F. So much of what was in that show is in SF, particularly the later seasons when Lynch stepped aside.

Southern Exposure is a bit more of a blank slate since other than the doctor there's no information out there on what the others would be like. I imagine it probably takes a lot of cues from Newhart, but like Friends Like Us I had no plans to get into it. Just not enough time for it all.

@Geekhis Khan is the 1988 version of In the Heat of the Night the same ITTL as OTL or is it possible to use the actors/characters from that show as part of Southern Exposure?
Hadn't put any thought into it. I see it's based on a 1965 novel so it could hypothetically show up at any time. No reason why actors from that IOTL couldn't go to SE ITTL.

Don't comment often anymore but I read every update.

This timeline continues to be great and i appreciate that the writing quality keeps up even with weekly updates. I know that even if the subject of the update is something I personally don't have much interest in, it'll be really interesting.

I appreciate the work you put into this timeline, Geekhis

Would be hilarious if he became a collaborator with small-time budding creators… like say, a young Monty Oum in the late 2000s? And he helps the animator with storytelling when he wants to do his own show, along with preventing a need to RT deciding to sell themselves to a larger conglomerate (so… what would have become RWBY IOTL is better managed overall and hopefully doesn’t lose its creator).
I would be intrigued if Monty Oum manages to survive ITTL and RWBY maintains its initial quality for a while longer. Although a collab between Old Jim and RT seems kinda unlikely??

I'd prefer if Henson did his own thing, as he has the time, money, and experience to create unique stories for himself, as much I would be interested in him being a direct mentor figure to other content creators.

The fact that I didn't watch Friends, nor even really care enough about it to look it up, should tell you how much attention I plan to give it. If someone has an idea I can add a couple paragraphs to some future post, but really, I just couldn't get into it.

And laugh it up, @Caellach Tiger Eye, it ain't easy juggling the entire pop culture world and trying to be a) on time when I have a full time job and a family and b) not accidentally contradicting myself or making dumb mistakes. Even keeping Disney straight is a challenge. I doubt many of you appreciate how much work this TL is unless you've done one yourself. Comments like this just exhaust me and make me wonder why I bother.
Y’know what… You’re completely right, actually. I don’t have your experience in doing this (frankly an impressive labour of love), and I should have either phrased that better or just kept my thoughts to myself… Now that I’m a bit separated from it, the whole thing isn’t even that funny in a “huh, isn’t that something” way like I’d meant it. Words don’t mean the same when you write them vs. saying them.

I’m sorry, mate. Though my intent wasn’t to mock you, in hindsight I probably came off quite patronising. Need to continue watching myself, especially when I’m actually not wanting to put you or anyone else here down.

Take care, and good luck with the upcoming stuff!
I would be intrigued if Monty Oum manages to survive ITTL and RWBY maintains its initial quality for a while longer. Although a collab between Old Jim and RT seems kinda unlikely??

I'd prefer if Henson did his own thing, as he has the time, money, and experience to create unique stories for himself, as much I would be interested in him being a direct mentor figure to other content creators.
I get you, it was just my imagination going off-course a bit there. No idea what Jim’ll be wanting to do when he’s over 70 (assuming he does get to the 2010s), but the idea of him helping indie creators avoid getting subsumed by the big monopolies (like RT were IOTL) appeals to me.

Frankly, I’m not even expecting RT or Monty himself to make the respective marks ITTL because the evolution of technology is going at a different rate, and others would likely beat them to the punch; even if not, I don’t expect whatever the original RT guys do here to be relevant, and while Monty Oum was a self-taught savant pretty much that doesn’t mean he’s going to make a splash worth noting here… Besides, I don’t expect RWBY, or much other media of later years, to exist in any recognisable form even disregarding any worthwhile criticism of their virtues and vices.

Y’know what… You’re completely right, actually. I don’t have your experience in doing this (frankly an impressive labour of love), and I should have either phrased that better or just kept my thoughts to myself… Now that I’m a bit separated from it, the whole thing isn’t even that funny in a “huh, isn’t that something” way like I’d meant it. Words don’t mean the same when you write them vs. saying them.

I’m sorry, mate. Though my intent wasn’t to mock you, in hindsight I probably came off quite patronising. Need to continue watching myself, especially when I’m actually not wanting to put you or anyone else here down.

Take care, and good luck with the upcoming stuff!
No worries. It's easy to send the wrong message when you write. Heck, I managed to offend a lot of Sunbow fans in this TL without intending to when I'm a fan of the old Sunbow cartoons myself, warts and all. Truth is it's been a crazy day for me and I've been more sensitive than usual to things.

I get you, it was just my imagination going off-course a bit there. No idea what Jim’ll be wanting to do when he’s over 70 (assuming he does get to the 2010s), but the idea of him helping indie creators avoid getting subsumed by the big monopolies (like RT were IOTL) appeals to me.

Frankly, I’m not even expecting RT or Monty himself to make the respective marks ITTL because the evolution of technology is going at a different rate, and others would likely beat them to the punch; even if not, I don’t expect whatever the original RT guys do here to be relevant, and while Monty Oum was a self-taught savant pretty much that doesn’t mean he’s going to make a splash worth noting here… Besides, I don’t expect RWBY, or much other media of later years, to exist in any recognisable form even disregarding any worthwhile criticism of their virtues and vices.
Yeah, we have no idea what Jim is gonna do in the 2010s, but it's always fun to speculate at times :openedeyewink:

But the idea of a company that supports indie content creators sounds like something Jim Henson would've done in the digital age from his own pockets. We do have a company that functions similarly to what you're describing:
Patreon.jpg

Something for the far future.

We'll see if RWBY or Rooster Teeth are still around, as that decade is even more nebulous than where we are now thanks to butterflies. I still have high hopes for them being around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.