Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
please can @MattII and @Rickshaw disengage? Tired of coming to this thread only to see another 30 posts of “but muh Sentinels!!1!” and “lolwut all 6 of them?”

obviously the debate is (slightly) more nuanced than that but it’s repetitive and tedious and has the square root of feck all to do with the story as things stands. Hash it out in a separate thread if you must.

please can @MattII and @Rickshaw disengage? Tired of coming to this thread only to see another 30 posts of “but muh Sentinels!!1!” and “lolwut all 6 of them?”

obviously the debate is (slightly) more nuanced than that but it’s repetitive and tedious and has the square root of feck all to do with the story as things stands. Hash it out in a separate thread if you must.
seconded

I am really enjoying this time line. I like tank based threads and Allan's writing is excellent and his reasurch impressive.

I also enjoy informed debate about various tank guns, ford engines and the industrial capacity of Austrailia. However, I fail to see the relevance of these things at this, or at any time so far, within this time line. Please can those people who want to debate things not relevant to the story please open separate threads. I will enjoy reading them and might even comment but, at the moment they are clogging up this story thread and I do not think that is fair for the effort Allan is clearly putting into his time line.

Perhaps the moderators should impose a new rule of relevance for story threads (although bits of humour and food references should probebly be exempt to keep things lively). This would stop threads being derailed and arguments being repeated over and over again.

Ninja'ed and thirded!

I am quite willing to disengage if he does so and stops with his silly claims about the Sentinel and Australia. The problem now is in his court.

I must agree. Despite the various Sentinel posts, I have made my point quite clear. The Sentinel was a way put of left field design made possible by local circumstances following the Fall of France.. In the context of this TL , it has little or no relevance as the battle of France has yet to conclude and the Australian Defence personnel have not yet had a reason to challenge their previous perceived ideas. I do agree that the design had potential but that is not yet seen as needed at this point in time. Maybe the OP will address it later in the time line and maybe he won't. That is entirely up to him.
I merely added in a reference to provide clarity to a rather interesting discussion.
Please let the OP continue with his very interesting and entertaining story.

I am quite willing to disengage if he does so and stops with his silly claims about the Sentinel and Australia. The problem now is in his court.
I disagree with your views on the subject (and I take exception to you calling my views silly), but as per popular opinion, I won't bother to actually argue.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where Rickshaw is currently residing, so organising that from my current location (Auckland NZ) might well be rather difficult.
I am presently residing in Australia. I have no desire to travel to Kiwiland. It is full of Hobbits and Black Sheep. :)

Sorry. I also refuse to use Zoom. It steals far too much information from it's users' PCs.

I don’t think this suggestion was entirely serious.
Sarcasm is dead, and we have killed it.

On another note, I strongly doubt the Valiants would see combat other than being fixed emplacements used to defend Calais. Even then the existence of the Valiant might or might not kick the Germans into a higher gear in regards to heavy tank, and it's unlikely to effect the development, and maybe moving the timetable of the Panther and Tiger up.

I am presently residing in Australia. I have no desire to travel to Kiwiland. It is full of Hobbits and Black Sheep. :)

Sorry. I also refuse to use Zoom. It steals far too much information from it's users' PCs.
That would help explain the strong views on the Sentinel. The best New Zealand can offer in response is the Schofield Tank, which doesn't exactly match up, though it's not bad for a mostly agrarian nation with less population than many cities.

22 May 1940. 15:00hrs. Koblenz, Germany.
22 May 1940. 15:00hrs. Koblenz, Germany.

General Von Rundstedt had been in conference all morning between OKW in Berlin and his Army Group’s forward commanders, especially General Hoth. At 01:30hrs he had received a call from Colonel Schmundt, the Fuhrer’s Adjutant for the Armed forces. The Fuhrer wanted to know what the situation at Arras was. The answer was that 7th Panzer Division had been attacked in strength at a number of points, but the thrust was stopped and the British and French forces had withdrawn.

In the early morning, 4th Army’s Commander-in-chief, Von Kluge, asked Von Rundstedt for a decision as to whether Group Von Kliest (XIX and XLI Panzer Corps) was to be launched against Boulogne and Calais as ordered the day before, or whether they should await clarification of the situation at Arras.

Von Rundstedt, having considered all the information he had decided that the situation at Arras must be cleared up, and only then should Group Von Kleist push on to Calais and Boulogne.

At 09:00hrs, Colonel-General Keitel arrived in Koblenz. Having been brought up to date by Von Rundstedt, Keitel returned to Berlin, later telephoning Von Rundstedt to tell him that the Fuhrer was in full agreement with the measures taken by Von Rundstedt, and expressed his special confidence and satisfaction of the leadership of Army Group A.

NB. This is taken from Dunkirk by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore, Revised Ed 2015, Penguin Books, pp 681-682. No changes to OTL.

I am really enjoying this time line. I like tank based threads and Allan's writing is excellent and his reasurch impressive.

I also enjoy informed debate about various tank guns, ford engines and the industrial capacity of Austrailia. However, I fail to see the relevance of these things at this, or at any time so far, within this time line. Please can those people who want to debate things not relevant to the story please open separate threads. I will enjoy reading them and might even comment but, at the moment they are clogging up this story thread and I do not think that is fair for the effort Allan is clearly putting into his time line.

Perhaps the moderators should impose a new rule of relevance for story threads (although bits of humour and food references should probebly be exempt to keep things lively). This would stop threads being derailed and arguments being repeated over and over again.
Actually derailing a tread repeatedly is already something Calbear can act on, if Allan were to complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.