fruitful in honey. Proud of his success,
    the foolish Icarus forsook his guide,
    and, bold in vanity, began to soar,
    rising upon his wings to touch the skies;
    but as he neared the scorching sun, its heat
    softened the fragrant wax that held his plumes;
    and heat increasing melted the soft wax—
    he waved his naked arms instead of wings,
    with no more feathers to sustain his flight.
    And as he called upon his father's name
    his voice was smothered in the dark blue sea,
    now called Icarian from the dead boy's name.
    — Ovid's Metamorphoses, Book VIII

“‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”
    — “Ozymandias”, Percy Bysshe Shelley

Okay, well now that we have the requisite poetry dealt with, welcome to the thread of Icarus, a maps and graphics timeline detailing a world dealing with a significantly worse climate crisis than OTL.

Point of Divergence
    In 1974, Sherwood Rowland and Mario Molina discovered that chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) had a devastating effect on the Earth’s ozone layer, following the work of other pioneers in the field of atmospheric chemistry. By the 1970s and 1980s, awareness of the growing “ozone hole” had led to decisive action by governments worldwide, culminating in the global ratification of the Montreal Protocol in 1987 that helped curb the use of CFCs and eventually, other similar chemicals. This means that today, the ozone layer is expected to recover by 2050.

But, say, Rowland never took a position at UC Irvine in 1964, and thus he and Molina never meet. If that influential 1974 paper is never published, what could happen? Well, other theories besides CFCs could be used to explain the growing ozone hole[1], which means that CFCs might not have been the widely accepted theory until much later.

Icarus describes such a world. By the time the reason the ozone hole is worsening is discovered, the political window for action to happen is fast closing. Thus, the climate continues to steadily worsen, and by the 2010s, vast swathes of the world are uninhabitable as governments continue to drag their feet on meaningful ozone and climate legislation.

[1] For example, proposed theories included changes in Antarctic atmospheric circulation, malignant effects of nitrous oxide, or chemical changes as a result of cloud particles. See “http://www.ccpo.odu.edu/SEES/ozone/class/Chap_11/11_1.htm”.

The Timeline
    Icarus occurs in real time, so most updates will be about the situation in the early 2020s. There may be a few updates regarding events in the past or glimpses into the future.

Index of Previous Works
    Nov 19
    Arcavist,

Disculpas for the long interval tween messages recently. I’ve had troubles with the post and seems my correspondense sometimes gets lost on the way to Santa Rosa (prolly thanks to those degens in Vallejo). If this letter doesn’t arrive by next week, it’s prolly better for you to visit inperson.

Now, onto bisness. Part'a the roof at Sacto’s Central Library was caved in when I visited, so that means I cant get most'a the books you requested. On the other side, I was able to find John Brunner’s “The Sheep Look Up” and John Steinback’s “Grapes of Wrath” thru other means; they’ll be delivered to the usual address.

Also, I’ve a friend up in Yuba that was finally able to fix the oldworld laptop you sent, and somehow that teck wizard managed to recover something useful from that hunka crap. Hope that makes up for the lack’a material I’ve sent your way the past couple weeks.

Attached you’ll find a description’a the files from the laptop that I think are’a interest to your line’a work. Seemed whoever owned it was some top dog pre-Collapse.

PS — maisure that payments arnt sent by express mail, that just makes it more likely to be stolen by raiders. Still need around 300 platas from our last exchange.

LIST’A RECOVERED FILES

-A sorda news report about some long deadlanded city, dated 2021

-Again, nother news report, this time about food shortages (wouldint even count as news now), dated 2021

-A third news report, something about a military op in the tropics, dated 2021

-A map’a Hawaii, c. ~2010s

-A map’a Korea, dated 2021

Come down to Sacto and I’ll show you the files in person. Be quick tho, the battery isn't likely to last all too long.

Last edited:
    META: Discord Server
  • By the by, I've created a Discord server for this timeline. It probably won't be too active, but it will mostly act as a repository for the graphics, and to get pings when there's an update. That's pretty much it. Link here.

Meta: Redo the Evacuation of LA?
  • I originally intended for this scenario to be a one-off with the CNN graphic. But obviously I've put in a lot more work since then and it's pretty obvious that the whole Evacuation of LA event that started this whole thing is patently unrealistic. I've tried to water it down a bit with in-universe explanations but they seem to fall flat to me. So I guess I'll ask the rest of y'all: Should I either A: keep the evacuation of LA in its current form, B: change it to be some other form of carnage in LA (riots, day zero water restrictions, food shortages, etc.), or C: just remove it completely.

If either Option B or C is chosen, I'll redo the CNN and New York Times graphics (or just start entirely from scratch); if Option A is chosen, I'll just slightly modify them to make the evacuation more realistic.

Last edited:
    List of Olympic host cities since 1996
  • 1656711456841.png

Doha Wins 2016 Olympics for a Jubilant and Diversifying Middle East​

The New York Times — September 20, 2009

DOHA, Qatar — Celebrations rang out in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, following the announcement that the tiny Gulf state will be the host of the 2016 Summer Olympics, making it the first city in the Middle East to host the global sporting event. The decision for Doha to host came as a surprise to some in Copenhagen, where the announcement was made, as London and Tokyo had long been considered favorites.

Nevertheless, Qataris are confident that they will be able to host the Olympics just as well, or perhaps even better than other global metropolises. Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, who was in charge of the country's bid, praised the decision as a "monumental achievement after many years of hard work in bringing Qatar to the world." Indeed, the Olympic bid is simply the cornerstone of Qatar's plan to increase its global profile and pivot away from oil dependence.

Despite Qatar's immense wealth, there remain some logistical problems with hosting the Olympics. Qatar insisted that the Games be held in late October, when temperatures would be significantly cooler, but the International Olympic Committee remained steadfast to a date no later than late August. Nearly all events would need to occur indoors or in the early morning and late evening to avoid any health-threatening heat.

Doha's bid is also reliant on infrastructure that does not yet exist. Its current principal airport, Doha International, is ill-equipped to handle the millions of passengers and visitors expected to visit for the Games. Instead, Qatar's government hopes that Hamad International Airport, currently under construction, will be completed by the start of the 2016...

2000 United States presidential election
  • 1657165074757.png

CNN RSS News Feed — November 6, 2000
    • 2000 CAMPAIGN: Latest polls show dead heat in election
    • Bush and Gore make closing arguments at last campaign stops
    • MARKET: Tech stocks continue to plunge in dot-com crash
    • Trillions wiped in value in NASDAQ bloodbath
    • See both candidates' views on taxes, abortion, and more
    • Amazon.com, Yahoo among those filing for bankruptcy
    • Despite recession fears, holiday shopping off to strong start
    • EU urges prospective members to speed up reforms
    • Dow drops over 100 points as blue chip stocks take a hit
    • Analysts: Don’t ‘catch the falling knife’
    • Stem cell research continues to prove controversial
    • FBI: Yemen ‘uncooperative’ on USS Cole investigation
    • NASA to map potentially threatening asteroids
    • Sun Microsystems to sell off California campus
    • China to tighten its own cyberspace
    • Floods continue to pound UK
    • Early indicators of lower voter turnout present
    • Hostage crisis in Ecuador resolved peacefully
    • NASA: Ozone hole reaches record levels
    • Oligarch flees Russia as arrest warrant issued
    • White House: Clinton to meet with Barak soon
    • Caveat emptor: Internet fraud claims victims
    • Solar power has a bright future
    • Infighting in UK's Labour over Euro adoption plan
    • Concern brews over solar storms
    • Iraq defiant against US sanctions and UN condemnation

Here's a pretty small update. I don't know if current politics are allowed in this forum or if this even counts as current politics, but I'll try to do a wikibox for every presidential election up to 2020. Once the elections start to diverge more from OTL, there will probably be a lengthier writeup to go along with the wikibox.

2004 United States presidential election & Hurricane Lisa
  • 1659647417821.png
    1659647427454.png
    CNN RSS News Feed — November 1, 2004

• 2004 ELECTION: Last minute surge for Dean in key battleground states
    • LIVE UPDATES: Five killed, 12 severely injured in Syracuse train derailment
    • Lisa death toll tops 2,500
    • 9/11 victims’ families protest ending identification efforts
    • US gains push Asia stocks higher
    • Dean backtracks on same-sex marriage, but defends civil unions
    • China culls thousands of chickens in order to keep bird flu at bay
    • Study: El Niño behind higher carbon dioxide rates
    • Rehnquist released from hospital
    • Southern California ranked worst in nation for air pollution
    • Chemical leak in South Korea prompts evacuation
    • PDAs: The cell phone killer?
    • ‘Half-Life 2’ aims for late November release
    • Hastert dismisses assault weapons ban renewal on anniversary of Albuquerque massacre
    • More businesses adopting wireless technologies
    • Nintendo Touch to include messaging features

[Load More Items]

Last edited:
    2008 United States presidential election & Clean Atmosphere and Green Jobs Act (proposed)
  • 1669444536241.png
    1669445329627.png

CNN RSS News Feed — November 4, 2008
    • 2008 ELECTION: Exit polling shows taxes, trade, and environment top issues
    • Santorum doubles down on Iran war comments
    • US 'reserves right' to retaliate against EU for GM foods dispute
    • Dems bullish on Senate prospects as GOP eyes expanding House majority
    • State Department warns travelers of increased danger in Thailand due to cartel and pirate raids
    • New Orleans flood defense project two months ahead of schedule
    • Inside South Korea's video game culture
    • Forecasters say 2008 is the warmest year on record
    • WHO: SARS epidemic shows annual virus scares possible 'if action is not taken'
    • Central African rebels capture Bossangoa amidst brutal fighting
    • South Africa to ramp up coal production to satiate growing demand
    • See how this Peruvian tour company is adapting to scorching solar radiation
    • Massachusetts to allow medical cannabis as three other states hold referendums on it today
    • Newly opened Large Hadron Collider shut down for repairs
    • Santorum takes tough stance on China, calls to label it a currency manipulator
    • Caracas to begin water rationing in December
    • New bird species discovered in Papua New Guinea

Last edited:
    2012 United States presidential election & First Caribbean refugee crisis
  • 1678843130041.png
    1678843137988.png

CNN RSS News Feed — November 6, 2012
    • LIVE UPDATES FROM THE CARIBBEAN CRISIS: Haitian refugee boat capsizes near the Bahamas, ~200 presumed on board
    • 2012 ELECTION: Surging Green campaign effort causes headaches for Napolitano
    • Navigating rivers, forets, and cartels - one refugee's treacherous trek by land to the U.S
    • CNN Graphic: Mapping the most popular refugee sea routes to the U.S
    • Chicago teachers' unions strike enters second week, with district classrooms empty
    • Kidnapper of Wisconsin teen arrested in Duluth
    • Liberal Dems blast Napolitano for steering to the right on immigration
    • Huntsman: 'Securing the future of America starts with securing her borders'
    • Former North Koreans will not get a say in next month's elections, says Korean PM
    • Amtrak begins renovations of Hudson river tunnels
    • Ogaden rebels march towards Addis Ababa, trouncing Ethiopian forces
    • Sunburn in the Rockies? Scientists say it's more likely than you think
    • California considers permanent daylight saving time
    • Republicans challenge Dean's refugee visa policy in court
    • E.U accuses China of already breaking the Ozone Protection Convention
    • Canadian freight company makes first autumn passage through the Northwest Passage
    • San Francisco International Airport reopens after near-crash fright

2016 United States presidential election
  • q3eS9fa.png

Supreme Court upholds lower court ruling, says Michigan electors must vote for Huntsman
    December 21, 2016

(CNN) - The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that the presidential electors of the state of Michigan must cast ballots for Huntsman or face replacement and punishment according to state law.

The decision, upholding a previous 6th district ruling, means that all of Michigan's sixteen electors will be unable to adhere to instructions from the national RNC for electors to cast ballots for Bobby Jindal, the Republicans' replacement nominee after President Huntsman resigned from office on October 28th. The timing of Huntsman's resignation came far too late to replace his name on any ballot, and thousands of voters had already cast a vote for him by mail.

Justice Stephen Breyer penned the decision of the 5-4 majority, which states that Michigan's 2010 state law against faithless electors "specifically includes provisions that compel electors to vote for the popular vote winner of the state," which would be Huntsman, as his name is the one that appears on the ballot. Michigan's Republican secretary of state had tried to argue that electors only had to vote for a candidate nominated by the same political party as the popular vote winner, citing a 1954 statute, but this argument was rejected by the court.

Wasserman Schultz praised the ruling in a Facebook post earlier this morning, saying that "today's decision upholds the rule of law and denies the GOP's brazen power grab after their extremely unpopular president was forced to resign."

Today's decision also applies to Indiana and Nebraska, two states that have similar or identical faithless elector laws to Michigan, meaning that a total of 31 electoral votes will be split from Jindal's 282 and given to Huntsman's 8. With no candidate having reached 270 electoral votes, the election now heads to the House.

CNN RSS News Feed — November 8, 2016
    • 2016 ELECTION: Schultz inches ahead of Jindal in latest CNN/Marist poll
    • EVACUATION CRISIS: Man dead after self-immolation protest in Hilo
    • House Democrats blast RNC's 'unconstitutional election schemery'
    • Doha police seen using former Olympic stadium to house thousands of arrested protestors
    • Markets recover as oil prices slide slowly from their peak
    • Joint Task Force: Operations outside Djibouti to be limited to drone strikes
    • Russia defies OPEC agreement to limit oil production
    • See the company preserving Galapagos species' DNA in case of extinction
    • Skin cancer rates may increase 500% by 2035
    • Hawaii Papers: Why did the government evacuate so rashly?
    • These three hotel companies are losing millions a day from empty Dubai resorts
    • RAND Institute report alleges 'domino effect' of state collapse in the Middle East
    • Police say missing Adirondack hikers found by pinging cell phone signals
    • Sen. Hagan: How did the Air Force misplace $30 million?
    • MoMA to feature exhibit inspired by coral bleaching process
    • Greenpeace protestors: 'Arabian crisis is only the beginning'

Last edited:
    2020 United States Presidential Election
  • 1692335695090.png

CNN RSS News Feed — November 3, 2020
    • Exit polls: Border controls, environment, and economy top issues
    • Cubs break the curse, win World Series for the first time in 112 years
    • Massachusetts, Maryland, Vermont: Meet the solid blue states that are battlegrounds this year
    • UChicago study warns of 'permanent economic recession'
    • Court fines 3M $1.2 million for breaking ozone law
    • New Mexico summer daytime curfew to end on Wednesday
    • Senate commission: FBI should've known of San Ysidro bombing 'far in advance'
    • Allen: 'We cannot be dependent on Russia and Venezuela for energy'
    • Microsoft shuts down Bungie game studios in bid to downsize
    • CNN documentary airing this week shows viewers the true extent of the Surabaya Massacre
    • Outrage in Puerto Rico over travel restrictions to mainland
    • Greens leading early vote in Washington
    • Floods follow devastating summer drought in Italy
    • Markets down after Chinese rate hike
    • UK blasts Argentina for missing Peruvian refugee intakes quotas two years in a row
    • Atlantic City - Gambling Mecca back from the dead
    • UN: 27 nuclear warheads in Pakistan still unaccounted for
    • UAE and India warn that refugee situation in Socotra is critical
    • Inside the epicenter of the Lithium Rush: El Centro, California
    • ISS decommissioning video crosses 100 million views on Playback

That's the election series completed, until 2024! I was going to include another graphic in this piece, but something similar to it was trending in the IRL news and I didn't want to be insensitive.

Logger.com — 'Los Angeles Water Crisis' page on 08/22/21

• Chapter 1: The Tempest

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

uqaNo2c.png

Definitely does not imply endorsement by the MWD of Southern California or any other organization featured here.

logger.png
    Logger
    (stylized as logger) is an American microblogging and social networking website that launched on June 13, 2010. Since March 2014, it has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft. The site has 250 million monthly active users as of August 2021, mostly concentrated within North America, Europe, Japan, and Argentina. It is the 5th-most visited site in the United States, and is often credited as one of the Big Three technology startups that started the Connectivity Revolution.

First advertised as a "neoforum," the site's content is split between groups (moderated communities broadly similar to a subforum) and trees (organically created groupings of messages and posts discussing the same topic). Users can also opt to post to their timeline, which effectively acts as a global community. Submissions and posts can either be liked or boosted to be more prominent.

Last edited:
    OCHA — Situation in Los Angeles as of October 2021

• Chapter 2: Remembrance

"Lighting: a hundred Watts
    Detroit, Newark and New York
    Screeching nerves, exploding minds
    lives tied to
    a policeman's whistle
    a welfare worker's doorbell
    finger."

3xZeRiY.jpg

Last edited:
    Free Port of Puvungna
  • Chapter 3: Anthem for Doomed Youth

"Was it for this the clay grew tall?
    —O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
    To break earth's sleep at all?"

1704345287114.png

🚩 The Vexillologist's Codex
    The Web's Foremost Database for Flags, Banners, and Heraldry that anyone can edit!

🔎 Search

puvugna flag.png

Puvungna (2021-)
    AKA: Free Port of Puvungna, Port Emergence

Puvungna is an unrecognized self-described "anarchist commune" located on the site of the Port of Los Angeles in Southern California (New York Times, 2021). It was founded in 2021 following the region's water crisis.

Puvungna's flag consists of three wavy stripes of blue, gold, and green. The wavy stripes are purposefully meant to contrast with the flag of the city of Los Angeles, which uses jagged stripes of green, gold, and red. Here, the blue represents the Pacific Ocean, the gold represents the sunny weather, and the green represents the "ideal natural state of Tovangar before European colonization" (Community Charter of Puvungna, 2021). The blue elderberries in the middle of the flag are native to the California coast and are an important symbol of the community. As of 2023, several community gardens in Puvungna have elderberry shrubs (Port Emergence People's Newsletter, 2023). The current flag of Puvungna was adopted on January 14, 2022 following a community-wide vote.

Despite the flag's heavy use of Tongva symbolism, only five people in the entire commune were confirmed to have any significant Tongva ancestry (National Review, 2022). The majority of the population were student activists from nearby universities, along with a significant contingent of evicted and homeless people from the nearby area who were welcomed into the community.

See Related Entries:
    • Freetown Christiania (1971-)
    • Zapatista Army of National Liberation (1994-)
    • Free Citizens' Zone of Auburn (2021-2022)

Last edited:
    Clairvoyant.com: Next national government to collapse?
  • rGM7VOA.jpg

Abstract, Disclaimers, and Rules

A national government is any internationally recognised political authority that has jurisdiction over a designated area. For the purposes of this forecast, “internationally recognised” means that the national government is a member or observer of the United Nations, or is recognised by multiple U.N members.

For a national government to collapse, it must have disintegrated to the point where it fails to govern or function. That includes the following characteristics:
    • Loss of control over most or all of their territory
    • Ineffective enforcement of the state’s “monopoly on violence”
    • Failure to uphold their part of the social contract (e.g providing protection, maintaining order, economic assistance, or continuing public services)
    • Loss of recognition from other states
    • Prolonged lack of clear leadership structure and authority
    Please note that coup d'etats, regime change, revolution, or any scenario resulting in an immediate successor state that does not fulfil the above criteria does not count as the national government having collapsed. However, if a change in government results in a continuing civil conflict where there is no clear successor state, the national government is considered to have collapsed.

At least two reputable news sources (e.g. Agence France-Presse, Associated Press, BBC News, etc.) must have used the word “collapse” or an appropriate synonym when discussing the country at hand for the ongoing cycle to be resolved in that contract’s favour. Clairvoyant reserves the right to unilaterally determine the winning option and close the ongoing cycle. An explanation on the thought process behind choosing the winning contract will be posted to our blog 14 days after the cycle closes.

1 March 2019 Update: Increasing confusion regarding contradictions between reputable sources means that the 15 January 2019 to 23 February 2019 cycle is invalidated. Points will be refunded to the appropriate accounts, and pending payouts and credit conversions will be retracted. We apologise for the inconvenience.

To limit future confusion, countries in Oceania (excluding Australia and New Zealand) will not be contracts in this forecast. Furthermore, a government going into exile will be counted as a “collapse” moving forward.

17 July 2020 Update: Given the recent rise in popularity this forecast has seen lately, it should be noted that payments are not given out directly after making a successful prediction. You must first convert points into credits. Residents of the European Economic Area are not eligible to have their points converted into credits.

Twenty-eighth Amendment

• "The 'constitutional right to travel from one State to another' is firmly embedded in our jurisprudence. [...] It protects the right of a citizen of one State to enter and to leave another State, the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than an unfriendly alien when temporarily present in the second State, and, for those travelers who elect to become permanent residents, the right to be treated like other citizens of that State."
    —Justice John P. Stevens, Sáenz v. Roe

The Twenty-eighth Amendment (Amendment XXVIII, also known as the Internal Control Amendment) to the United States Constitution allows Congress to temporarily regulate the movement of people between states under certain emergency circumstances. Approved during the 2022 Convention of the States, the amendment became a part of the United States Constitution on September 25, 2022. It is the most recently adopted amendment.

The effects of climate change caused significant demographic shifts within the United States, with the Evacuation of Hawaii, the Gulf Exodus, and the Los Angeles water crisis all causing unprecedented numbers of internally displaced persons resettling within other areas of the country. The political reaction to these events often eschewed the traditional partisan divide. Instead, the northern United States generally saw greater support for internal migration control compared to other regions.

As such, the Twenty-eighth Amendment was proposed in Congress, but was approved by amendatory convention. Despite legal disputes, the Supreme Court held in California v. Cole that the procedures during said convention were constitutionally valid, and the amendment was eventually ratified by the requisite number of states.

As of October 2022, the Twenty-eighth Amendment has been used to restrict internal movement in the following states: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

Text

SECTION ONE. The Congress shall have the power to temporarily regulate the ingress and egress of persons to and from one State to another.

SECTION TWO. The Congress may not exercise the powers granted by Section One unless it can sufficiently prove that continued unregulated movement would impose extreme and undue hardship on the welfare of citizens of one or more States, and that regulation of such movement is the best possible way to relieve the hardship.

SECTION THREE. The powers and privileges of the several States are not impaired except to the extent necessary to give effect to such legislation enacted by the Congress.

Last edited:
    OrgTracker.com: United States Department of Environmental Affairs
  • OrgTracker
    Covering actions, events, and news concerning political organizations and groups.

Home | News | About Us | New Activity | Forums | LiveTracker | WarTracker | CongressTracker |

🔍 Search Site...

Home > Group Dossiers > Governmental Organizations > United States > Federal > Department of Environmental Affairs
    DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS

Name:United States Department of Environmental Affairs
    Abbreviations or acronyms:DOEA, USDOEA, EnAffairs
    Logo or Seal:
    doealogo.png
    Motto:Natura non contristatur
    Formed:September 13, 2010
    Formed from:Many programs and agencies within the Department of the Interior (DOI), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Water and Climate Center (NWCC)
    Headquarters:Washington, D.C, United States
    Executive or leader:Ben Ray Luján (Democrat, New Mexico)
    Web Site:environment.gov

The Department of Environmental Affairs (DOEA) is one of the executive departments within the United States federal government. It oversees the enforcement of environmental laws, ensures air and water quality, administrates federal land and natural resources, and is responsible for mitigating and adapting to changing climate conditions in the United States.

Below is an automatically-updating list of items relating to the Department of Environmental Affairs. OrgTracker is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    • Los Angeles Times: One-year retrospective: Death of the City of Angels — August 27, 2022
    • Boston Globe: As school starts, more districts in Massachusetts are considering evening hours or digital learning — August 26, 2022
    • Voice of America: DOEA announces stay-at-home advisories for extreme heat and UV for the week of August 21 — August 21, 2022
    • New York Times: Proposed water distribution scheme draws ire of Midwestern residents — August 19, 2022
    • Washington Post: Federal government to effectively end enforcement of exclusion zone entrance restrictions — August 17, 2022
    • NPR: In new ad, Greens blast bipartisan gas car bill — August 15, 2022
    • Reuters: FBI hate crime statistics to document prejudice against out-of-state Americans for the first time — August 14, 2022
    • Voice of America: DOEA announces stay-at-home advisories for extreme heat and UV for the week of August 14 — August 14, 2022
    • Las Vegas Review-Journal: Clark County nearing completion of $200 million urban shading program — August 12, 2022
    • CNBC: Farmers pack up as California law severely restricting water-intensive non-staple crops takes its toll — August 11, 2022
    • Reuters: DOEA to encourage airlines to utilize carbon credits for air cargo, not passenger flights — August 9, 2022
    • Voice of America: DOEA announces stay-at-home advisories for extreme heat and UV for the week of August 7 — August 7, 2022
    • Washington Post: Environmental Affairs Department promises 'swift action' on Great Lakes pipeline construction — August 7, 2022
    • The Sentinel: President Schultz urges developing countries to enforce pollutant control standards more strictly in UN speech — August 4, 2022
    • New York Times: Fourth round of yellow zone inspections to be held in September — August 1, 2022
    • Voice of America: DOEA announces stay-at-home advisories for extreme heat and UV for the week of July 31 — July 31, 2022
    [See Older Items]

Last edited:
    OrgTracker.com: Office of Human Continuity
  • OrgTracker
    Covering actions, events, and news concerning political organizations and groups.

Home | News | About Us | New Activity | Forums | LiveTracker | WarTracker | CongressTracker |

🔍Search Site...

Home > Group Dossiers > Governmental Organizations > Multinational > United Nations > United Nations Environment Programme > Office of Human Continuity
    OFFICE OF HUMAN CONTINUITY

Name:United Nations Office of Human Continuity
    Abbreviations or acronyms:UNOHC, OHC, Continuity
    Logo or Seal:
    un_office.png
    Motto:Humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat
    Formed:December 7, 2018
    Affiliated with:United Nations, United Nations Environment Programme
    Headquarters:Oslo, Norway
    Executive or leader:Ashok Khosla (India)
    Active duty forces:3,000 peacekeeping and security personnel
    Level of Concern:0 (Nominal)
    Web Site:unohc.org

The Office of Human Continuity is a division of the United Nations Environment Programme. It is responsible for advancing sustainable development, overseeing and assisting projects combating the effects and causes of climate change, and preparing human civilization in case of total ecological collapse. It advocates for the "eight sustainable development markers," represented on its logo. There have been controversy and incidents concerning some of the Office's programs, both in developed and developing countries.

While the Office's main headquarters are in Oslo, it also maintains a significant presence in New York, Longyearbyen, Stockholm, and Auckland. It maintains a significant number of peacekeeping personnel in coordination with UN Peacekeeping.

Below is an automatically-updating list of items relating to the Office of Human Continuity. OrgTracker is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    • UN News: Spanish citizens cheer on groundbreaking of anti-desertification program — August 28, 2022
    • Globe and Mail: Government recalls US ambassador over water controversy — August 21, 2022
    • UN News: WMO says climate effects on Gulf Stream require more research — August 20, 2022
    • UN News: Genetically-modified plants may stop ocean acidification in its tracks — August 19, 2022
    • UN News: Over 60 nations meet in Stockholm for responsible cloud seeding use — August 14, 2022
    • Al Jazeera English: UAE refuses to participate in UN cloud seeding negotiations — August 13, 2022
    • Las Vegas Review-Journal: Clark County nearing completion of $200 million urban shading program — August 12, 2022
    • UN News: 'Project Alexandria': Thousands of books will soon be transferred to Svalbard to be kept for future generations — August 7, 2022
    • BBC News: Four injured in terror attack at Istanbul UN office — August 2, 2022
    • USA Today: Homes with private bunkers see skyrocketing prices — July 29, 2022

Last edited:
    The Economist: Daily Chart for 10/26/22
  • Skin cancer rates may be mitigated with effective policy
    American social programmes may prove useful in resisting climate change's effects

Oct 26th 2022

For more data visualisation, sign up for Graphic Detail, our weekly newsletter

1666853279332.png

WITH THE AMERICAN midterms fast approaching, the incumbent Democrats are failing to broadcast one of their biggest policy successes in recent years—skin cancer mitigation. Their massive 'Climate Resiliency Act' package passed late last year has provided millions of dollars in aid to the usual suspects: seawall construction, weatherising homes, and aeroponics research. But the rise of 'UV-Safe community centers' as prescribed by the bill have helped keep communities cohesive during periods of high heat and UV radiation. Nearly 1,500 such community centres have been renovated to be 'UV-safe' using the bill's funds, replete with automatic UV-blocking window film and free sunscreen dispensers.

Consequently, while skin cancer rates in the U.S remain high, their rapid rise appears to be have been arrested, with a Harvard Medical School study suggesting that melanoma rates in the U.S have decreased between 2021-2022, according to preliminary data. While this could be due to any number of factors, the nearly $600 million invested into local communities for skin cancer awareness and prevention seems to have played a part...