Icarus: A Climate TL

Redo the evacuation of LA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is pretty implausible. China shouldn't even be around in it's current form without the US guaranteeing the international order. We'd be more likely to see a headline about ongoing violence and warlordism in China. Famine? Not an emergency or newsworthy in the ATL china what with the whole environmental damage combined with warlordism and China not getting the food and fuel it imports OTL.
because you think Taiwan is going to be any better? Sure China is probably poorer and with less naval build up, but it's still roughly the same up until the early 2000s I imagine.

With the famines and climate change, honestly a chinese blockade of taiwan (with a resulting famines) along with some bad typhoons could probably criple it enough its population to accept to surrender. A biafra/tigray situation is probably gonna be effective at the time of environmental collapse.

Last edited:
You don't need Taiwan being better off for China to be in deep shit due to the japanese or indians deciding to play "consfiscate oil tankers heading to china".

I hope this TL isn't dead. I have so many questions I want to have answered about this very narrowly avoided Hellscape.
I hope so as well, this is one of my favorite timelines.

Sorry for the complete lack of updates for the past two months (tis' the season of school and college applications), but I've been working on and off on a new piece that should be out in a few weeks. I've also planned out the broad strokes for the Los Angeles crisis rework, so hopefully some content focusing on that should be coming.

In the meantime, y'all can leave suggestions on what events or parts of the world you'd like to see content for. Inspiration for the project is always nice! :)

In the meantime, y'all can leave suggestions on what events or parts of the world you'd like to see content for. Inspiration for the project is always nice! :)
Personally, I'd like a glimpse at how social media is doing TTL. I'd bet it would be similar yet quite different in more ways than one, especially considering the situation this world is in.

Personally, I'd like a glimpse at how social media is doing TTL. I'd bet it would be similar yet quite different in more ways than one, especially considering the situation this world is in.
Great suggestion! Coincidentally, this is also what I was working on lol, so stay tuned for that

I mean Reddit might not actually exist. Maybe individual forums are still alive. Maybe some new 4chan sub-board could also appear?

SuperZtar64

Banned
4chan or some equivalent very well might exist. Founded in 2003 and the need for an English language alternative to 2ch probably didn't just go away on its own.

Inspiration for the project is always nice! :)
I would be interested in seeing how multinational geopolitical groups (NATO, CSTO, whatever China's gotten up to...) have adapted.

I presume the EU is a goner by this point but it would be nice to see how the geopolitical lines have shifted as everyone gets hammered by climate change.

I think it’d be neat to see something about space exploration ITTL, or whether the worsening climate would drive governments to invest more or less into their space programmes.

The Economist: Daily Chart for 10/26/22
Skin cancer rates may be mitigated with effective policy
American social programmes may prove useful in resisting climate change's effects

Oct 26th 2022

For more data visualisation, sign up for Graphic Detail, our weekly newsletter

1666853279332.png

WITH THE AMERICAN midterms fast approaching, the incumbent Democrats are failing to broadcast one of their biggest policy successes in recent years—skin cancer mitigation. Their massive 'Climate Resiliency Act' package passed late last year has provided millions of dollars in aid to the usual suspects: seawall construction, weatherising homes, and aeroponics research. But the rise of 'UV-Safe community centers' as prescribed by the bill have helped keep communities cohesive during periods of high heat and UV radiation. Nearly 1,500 such community centres have been renovated to be 'UV-safe' using the bill's funds, replete with automatic UV-blocking window film and free sunscreen dispensers.

Consequently, while skin cancer rates in the U.S remain high, their rapid rise appears to be have been arrested, with a Harvard Medical School study suggesting that melanoma rates in the U.S have decreased between 2021-2022, according to preliminary data. While this could be due to any number of factors, the nearly $600 million invested into local communities for skin cancer awareness and prevention seems to have played a part...

This was in my backlog, so I basically just posted it to prove this timeline isn't dead lol

Be on the lookout for some actual content coming soon!