Icarus: A Climate TL

Redo the evacuation of LA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The debris from the impact would presumably form a layer of smoke over the planet, lowering global temperatures.
Yeah, but I don't know if that is the best thing to trust anyone on Earth with doing, considering ITTL (and ours) we've already damaged things enough causing the problem, something like atmospheric sulfur injections or other ideas would probably (maybe?) be potentially less harmful than accidentally screwing up the intentional orbital bombardment of the Earth. Also where would the financing come from to go to space, find a suitably sized asteroid, and then bring it back, AND THEN have enough force to then push the asteroid into the planet. Plus the associated infrastructure development necessary to do all of that?

1693014419371.png

I've become a bit of an EAS nerd, I was originally working on this for Soylent Green, but this seems very fitting for Icarus. @ItsMyKetchup

So if the United States, a food exporter, is experiencing food rationing, shouldn't food importers like Britain, China, and Japan experience famines right about now ? Japan ought to probably be scrambling to stabilise right now if the US is experiencing food insecurity this bad

So did New Horizons never launch and visit Pluto? Please say it still got launched D:
It did launch, as it was conceptualized in the 90s and early 2000s, and the Dean administration was more supportive of it than Bush.
they haven't done a montreal protocol type thing YET despite literal decades of evidenceo n why cfcs need to go
Well, there have been a few international conventions regarding preventing ozone depletion, but they have only been partially effective and the UN has documented a fair few cases of non-compliance.
i have to wonder, were PDAs the cell phone killer ittl?
No, but the two devices just sort of merged together as cell phones gained more internet connectivity features. Eventually, touchscreen technology matured by the mid 2010s, so most smartphones as of the present only have a few buttons for calling, going to the home screen, or controlling music/sound.
bold of you assume they'd have the switch in ttl
Yeah, there isn't. Nintendo is still making consoles, though. They failed miserably in attempting to compete with Xbox and PlayStation in the late 2000s, then the financial crisis happened, but they're currently still sticking to handhelds and motion-sensing consoles.
The only actual position that would be radical enough to save Earth ITTL would be radical geoengineering.
Put a shitload of nanoparticles in the upper atmosphere and drop asteroids on the Sahara and the Outback if necessary.
Most scientists and world leaders are extremely hesitant to even mention geo-engineering as a possibility because of the unknown and irreversible effects it could have on the planet.
So if the United States, a food exporter, is experiencing food rationing, shouldn't food importers like Britain, China, and Japan experience famines right about now ? Japan ought to probably be scrambling to stabilise right now if the US is experiencing food insecurity this bad
The NYT front page is retconned, since yeah a famine in the U.S doesn't make too much sense at this point in time. But yes, food insecurity is a lot more widespread due to climate change. Canada and Russia have opened up millions of acres of new farmland to make up for some of this deficit, and vertical and indoor farming does make up for another part of it, but most places on the planet aren't doing too well.

The NYT front page is retconned, since yeah a famine in the U.S doesn't make too much sense at this point in time. But yes, food insecurity is a lot more widespread due to climate change. Canada and Russia have opened up millions of acres of new farmland to make up for some of this deficit, and vertical and indoor farming does make up for another part of it, but most places on the planet aren't doing too well.

The reason I mention is this is because it literally doesn't make any sense why the USA is doing this badly when some other countries are weathering out the climate catastrophe better than America.

For example, Cuba, by the way, is a food importer. In fact, it imports roughly 80% of their food to sustain their population of 11 million people : https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/food-exports-cuba-increased-last-year/

Even if the US lifted its sanctions it literally doesn't make sense that Cuba is doing this good when Cuba ought to be facing famines and riots and outright government collapse due to severe food insecurity (without food imports, Cuba will literally collapse). Nor would it make sense that Cuba is allowing Haitian refugees, aka more mouths to feed, when their population relies heavily on food imports, which they get mostly from the USA. And if the USA is experiencing food insecurity, that means their exports ought to come down to zero. 11 million + number of Haitian refugees is not sustainable in their island which is why they heavily rely on food imports.

China and Japan ought to be experiencing either famines or severe policies like a 'Zero-Child-Policy' and 'free-birth-control-for-all' to mitigate chances of experiencing outright government collapse from severe famines and food riots. Britain would've probably Brexited long ago and perhaps curtailed immigration severely and maybe instituted their own 'One-Child-Policy' to help bring their island to a more sustainable level.

Last edited:
Nah, the brits would be implementing soylent green. Would fit with how classist british politics is in both OTL and ATL with ATL being even worse to being even more zero/negative sum on economics.

The reason I mention is this is because it literally doesn't make any sense why the USA is doing this badly when some other countries are weathering out the climate catastrophe better than America.
The famines in the U.S were retconned along with everything else in the NYT/CNN graphics.

New York Times article - 10/26/23
"而現在,鄉愁是一灣淺淺的海峽,我在這頭,大陸在那頭。"

PKyNRv0.png

The White House
October 13, 2017

Good evening. I’ve just gotten off the phone with President Zhang, where I candidly informed him that the United States will not tolerate China’s completely unprovoked aggression and hostility regarding recent actions in the Taiwan Strait. The United States will keep our existing sanctions against China and keep $200 million in Chinese assets frozen as punishment for such a flagrant violation of international law. I also reiterated that the United States would continue to commit to our defense treaties with allies in East Asia, and that U.S Navy assets in international waters would not be removed from the South China Sea.

Keeping this in mind, I believe it is in the best interest of all parties involved to prevent this crisis from escalating into a global war, and as such, we have worked out the beginning of a preliminary framework for peace in the region. While the intricacies and details still need to be worked out, I can proudly say at this time that Taiwan’s vibrant democracy will remain intact and the many freedoms and rights they currently enjoy will continue to be guaranteed for the Taiwanese people, even during the transition and under the new Chinese administration. In exchange, the Chinese government will end its current unlawful blockade and release all unlawfully imprisoned Taiwanese and American citizens from custody. An international commission will also be established in order to monitor the situation in Taiwan and ensure that Chinese authorities are adhering to this aspect of the deal, and the U.S will have permanent representation on this commission. I’ve also been in contact with President Hung of Taiwan, who has signaled her support for a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

Under this peace framework, Taiwan will undergo a period of demilitarization and transition for five years before sovereignty transfers to China. All sensitive U.S military equipment, weaponry, and intelligence supplied to the Republic of China Armed Forces will be returned to the U.S, no questions asked, and American inspectors will be on the ground in Taiwan to ensure no American technology falls into the wrong hands.

Additionally, China has agreed to remove all of its military forces from Hamgyeong, end its unlawful occupation of northern Korea, and fully comply with the IAEA’s Comprehensive Plan for the Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. The Korean people can rest easy as the specter of war and occupation ends on their entire homeland once and for all, for the first time since 1910.

In these increasingly turbulent times, we must choose peace over war whenever possible. While China's depraved aggression in the region is unfortunate and detestable, neither I nor the American people desire the start of a disastrous war in Asia that would result in thousands or millions of causalties. The recent framework I've negotiated will guarantee democracy in the Taiwan region for the foreseeable future and create a lasting peace in the Indo-Pacific.

Thank you.

Last edited:
而現在,鄉愁是一灣淺淺的海峽,我在這頭,大陸在那頭。

PKyNRv0.png

The White House
October 13, 2017

Good evening. I’ve just gotten off the phone with President Zhang, where I candidly informed him that the United States will not tolerate China’s completely unprovoked aggression and hostility regarding recent actions in the Taiwan Strait. The United States will keep our existing sanctions against China and keep $200 million in Chinese assets frozen as punishment for such a flagrant violation of international law. I also reiterated that the United States would continue to commit to our defense treaties with allies in East Asia, and that U.S Navy assets in international waters would not be removed from the South China Sea.

Keeping this in mind, I believe it is in the best interest of all parties involved to prevent this crisis from escalating into a global war, and as such, we have worked out the beginning of a preliminary framework for peace in the region. While the intricacies and details still need to be worked out, I can proudly say at this time that Taiwan’s vibrant democracy will remain intact and the many freedoms and rights they currently enjoy will continue to be guaranteed for the Taiwanese people, even during the transition and under the new Chinese administration. In exchange, the Chinese government will end its current unlawful blockade and release all unlawfully imprisoned Taiwanese and American citizens from custody. An international commission will also be established in order to monitor the situation in Taiwan and ensure that Chinese authorities are adhering to this aspect of the deal, and the U.S will have permanent representation on this commission. I’ve also been in contact with President Hung of Taiwan, who has signaled her support for a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

Under this peace framework, Taiwan will undergo a period of demilitarization and transition for five years before sovereignty transfers to China. All sensitive U.S military equipment, weaponry, and intelligence supplied to the Republic of China Armed Forces will be returned to the U.S, no questions asked, and American inspectors will be on the ground in Taiwan to ensure no American technology falls into the wrong hands.

Additionally, China has agreed to remove all of its military forces from Hamgyeong, end its unlawful occupation of northern Korea, and fully comply with the IAEA’s Comprehensive Plan for the Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. The Korean people can rest easy as the specter of war and occupation ends on their entire homeland once and for all, for the first time since 1910.

In these increasingly turbulent times, we must choose peace over war whenever possible. While the current situation is unfortunate, this framework will guarantee democracy in the Taiwan region for the foreseeable future and create a lasting peace in the Indo-Pacific.

Thank you.
Amazing work and well done.

I can imagine what is happening to my home, likely the Philippines were cyclones/typhoons are more frequent than OTL and it's too early that a deluge of sea level rise would even abandon numerous coastal towns, especially in Bulacan and Pampanga in earlier years than the OTL.

It's crazy to see just how different geopolitics have gotten at this point, where IOTL predictions (another Taiwan Strait Crisis, and China annexing Taiwan) have come true already. There is something so stark and bleak about that Presidential speech in contrast to the modern day Icarus article, and honestly even within the speech itself, a lot of somber undertones. I kind of wonder how it was received? Because obviously America is dealing with its own problems but like this still had to have been a huge blunder.

But lmao, silicon valley investors trying to create their bullshit city but in Wisconsin ITTL. Some things never change :'( Underground housing in Atlanta seems like a really interesting concept/solution, but I can't imagine it going well during a hurricane or big storm event.. Fuck though, La Paz is abandoned, I bet so many YouTubers are vulturing the fuck out of that. Also poor Tonga, it cannot catch a break, idk if the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai eruption happened ITTL but if it did, this on top of that?

Great update! Glad to see Icarus still going strong

Last edited:
May or may not be canon. Regardless, Merry Christmas!
dfl4nem-f7829ccf-d7bc-427c-9d07-701315c8a3dc.png

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

The chickens have come home to roost.

What began as a series of car bombs in the country’s capital has turned into an unprecedented environmental and political conflict that spans a continent.

To the north, the Chicago Government has successfully vanquished the last of the major federal pretenders and can fully turn its attention towards the business of pacifying the south. However, its cities, once the financial and industrial hearts of the nation and the world, now sit in squalor, devastated by years of war, neglect, deindustrialization, and environmental degradation. While in the halcyon days of yore New York and Boston might have been surrounded by neatly manicured suburbs, now there is only the stench of overcrowded refugee encampments.

But don’t get the wrong idea. Refugees are Chicago’s greatest export. Even the threat of unleashing millions of despondent refugees onto the Canadian border was enough to get Ottawa to quickly agree to a generous trade and water-sharing agreement.

To the west, the Pacific Northwest remains the most similar to the prosperity of pre-war America. The lights turn on and the garbage is still collected weekly across Oregon and Washington. Food isn’t a concern either - California exports most of its food to the Olympia government.

That’s all the Golden State is useful for nowadays. Nearly all the technological capital in Silicon Valley has fled to Seattle, and as such, the Pacific Northwest continues to lead the world in innovation and advancement. The latest government initiative involves turning the entire country into an “algocracy,” where everything from rations, jobs, and criminal verdicts are decided by computer algorithms and artificial intelligence.

The south, by contrast, is a complete mess, riddled with wannabe militias, rogue military units, and roving bands of racial supremacists. As troops from the north arrive to press Chicago’s boot onto the already fractured region, the only glimmer of hope for the south lies in the Free States of America - an equal society surrounded by a sea of hate.
Is "Israel in Christ" a country formed by Black Israelites? And that place down between Mississippi and Alabama labeled Firefighters.... are they an administration of firefighters?

Where is blackberry ittl? As keyboard phones still keep their popularity in ATL.
Popular among business and government users. Eventually transitioned to touchscreen along with most of the premium phone market in the mid-2010s.
i’m very curious considering all the big ol demographic shifts that have probably happened, what has the 2020 Census done to EV counts ahead of 2024?
That'll be revealed later (aka, I'm too lazy and haven't done that yet lmao). As expected, there continues to be a mass exodus out of the South and Southwest, with a few exceptions (Raleigh, Atlanta, and Nashville continue to grow). Rural areas continue to shrink, with some parts of Florida and southern Louisiana becoming nearly entirely depopulated.
I can imagine what is happening to my home, likely the Philippines were cyclones/typhoons are more frequent than OTL and it's too early that a deluge of sea level rise would even abandon numerous coastal towns, especially in Bulacan and Pampanga in earlier years than the OTL.
Yes, the Philippines has seen a battering of deadly climate events in recent years, with many smaller settlements abandoned, but the central government has become too bogged down in a war against Moro insurgents and pirates to dedicate much funding to the issue.
I kind of wonder how it was received?
Not well, especially not by Republicans who argued that America had lost her place in the world as the "defender of liberty." But foreign policy has taken a backseat in American politics, and relations with China have markedly improved with the signing of a generous trade deal in 2019.
Also poor Tonga, it cannot catch a break, idk if the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai eruption happened ITTL but if it did, this on top of that?
Yes, it did. That was also another factor in speeding up the evacuation timeline for the country, which had originally been planned for 2026.