Icarus: A Climate TL

Redo the evacuation of LA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How exactly common are these sorts of anti-gov't militias and their associates in the U.S.? They must be significant in some regard, considering that they're seemingly successful in seizing control of places like national parks.
Pretty much anywhere there's extreme anti-government sentiment OTL. Some militias have tried to seize control of government property or blow up buildings, but most are content with sitting on their stockpile of guns and biding their time.

Something else crossed my mind: what are media and pop culture generally like in this universe, compared to today IOTL? I imagine that malaise would be common among people, what with ecological catastrophe and civilization being caught in a downward spiral. How does that affect entertainment?

Something else crossed my mind: what are media and pop culture generally like in this universe, compared to today IOTL? I imagine that malaise would be common among people, what with ecological catastrophe and civilization being caught in a downward spiral. How does that affect entertainment?
This is true, and though there is fiction depicting the probable end result of this timeline, since the climate situation is far more dire ITTL, general audiences want something so they can forget the horrors of real life. Science fiction is generally more like Star Trek than Mad Max.

I have to say this is more frightening than my own enviropocalypse timeline because at least in the Soylentverse you have a chance of not being alive ATL and it’s retro futuristic. This, probably everyone here would be around to see it. I really look forward to watching this.

I have to say this is more frightening than my own enviropocalypse timeline because at least in the Soylentverse you have a chance of not being alive ATL and it’s retro futuristic. This, probably everyone here would be around to see it. I really look forward to watching this.
eh, pod is in 1964 and you'd have people raising the alarm bells so most likely atl relatives of people fortunately

List of Olympic host cities since 1996
1656711456841.png

Doha Wins 2016 Olympics for a Jubilant and Diversifying Middle East​

The New York Times — September 20, 2009

DOHA, Qatar — Celebrations rang out in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, following the announcement that the tiny Gulf state will be the host of the 2016 Summer Olympics, making it the first city in the Middle East to host the global sporting event. The decision for Doha to host came as a surprise to some in Copenhagen, where the announcement was made, as London and Tokyo had long been considered favorites.

Nevertheless, Qataris are confident that they will be able to host the Olympics just as well, or perhaps even better than other global metropolises. Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, who was in charge of the country's bid, praised the decision as a "monumental achievement after many years of hard work in bringing Qatar to the world." Indeed, the Olympic bid is simply the cornerstone of Qatar's plan to increase its global profile and pivot away from oil dependence.

Despite Qatar's immense wealth, there remain some logistical problems with hosting the Olympics. Qatar insisted that the Games be held in late October, when temperatures would be significantly cooler, but the International Olympic Committee remained steadfast to a date no later than late August. Nearly all events would need to occur indoors or in the early morning and late evening to avoid any health-threatening heat.

Doha's bid is also reliant on infrastructure that does not yet exist. Its current principal airport, Doha International, is ill-equipped to handle the millions of passengers and visitors expected to visit for the Games. Instead, Qatar's government hopes that Hamad International Airport, currently under construction, will be completed by the start of the 2016...

So what do you mean by "somewhat worse than OTL" for 2009's and 2016's climate ssues in ttl?
For example, in July 2009, the highest UV index might be a 12-13 in Doha, and the high temp around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. By July 2016, the UV index would be reaching 16-18 and the high temp constantly between 110-125 Farenheit.

For example, in July 2009, the highest UV index might be a 12-13 in Doha, and the high temp around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. By July 2016, the UV index would be reaching 16-18 and the high temp constantly between 110-125 Farenheit.
>UV of 16-18
Jesus, That does not seem good for hosting the olympics.

What’s the general state of U.S. internal politics ITTL? I’ve noticed throughout a few posts that the U.S. seems to have more than just a couple mainstream parties, and they’re enough of a threat that the Democrats and Republicans have coalesced to form working majorities. Which parties currently give the Dem-Rep Coalition a run for its money?

SuperZtar64

Banned
What’s the general state of U.S. internal politics ITTL? I’ve noticed throughout a few posts that the U.S. seems to have more than just a couple mainstream parties, and they’re enough of a threat that the Democrats and Republicans have coalesced to form working majorities. Which parties currently give the Dem-Rep Coalition a run for its money?
My first guess is the Greens.

I think with an awareness of climate on the rise out of necessity, the Greens would definitely start to convince Americans of the perils at hand. Another question I had was the impact of superstorms in this TL, would we see things like Sandy, Katrina etc become more frequent? Would the airline industry collapse due to the severe weather constraints?