Icarus: A Climate TL

Redo the evacuation of LA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2024 is apparently going to be a solar storm year, which makes me wonder, just how much worse would it be with a dying ozone layer? I know something like the end of Knowing is scientifically impossible, but if there’s less ozone protection, how much worse would things be on Earth?
wholesale electrical infrastructure failure, I guess

2024 is apparently going to be a solar storm year, which makes me wonder, just how much worse would it be with a dying ozone layer? I know something like the end of Knowing is scientifically impossible, but if there’s less ozone protection, how much worse would things be on Earth?
don't you have a solar storm in 2024 in your tl too?

don't you have a solar storm in 2024 in your tl too?
giphy.gif

Well hey, something has to start off the fun of your tl's 2020s.

I suspect the consequences of the solar storm in Icarus might be enough to get CFCs banned FINALLY. Emphasis on "might".

He's explicitly said so in the thread. He's mentioned a solar storm being a post-2022 Problem with the Great Death being in 2027 so it happening in 2024 fits.
Yeah but the less advanced electronics of the Soylentverse actually may take the impact on a better overall basis, the problems will be with fixing what does get broke since the population decline among the educated makes everything guaranteed to stay broken when they need to work the most. What if the Soylentizing machine (recall we don't know what the process precisely is because author fiat) is irreparably damaged and the number of technicians doesn't work quickly enough for the rioting populace to not tear apart the machines in a rage and leave everything absolutely fucked?

Yeah but the less advanced electronics of the Soylentverse actually may take the impact on a better overall basis, the problems will be with fixing what does get broke since the population decline among the educated makes everything guaranteed to stay broken when they need to work the most. What if the Soylentizing machine (recall we don't know what the process precisely is because author fiat) is irreparably damaged and the number of technicians doesn't work quickly enough for the rioting populace to not tear apart the machines in a rage and leave everything absolutely fucked?
Solentverse tech is stuck around the mid 1980's, that means chips and integrated circuits that will cook if exposed to EMP but also that they're unlikely to have developed current hardening abilities. Also the Ozone layer is wreaked (which is how Thorn can be 31 in story but played by a 50 year old in the film) and hard radiation will probably get in. Ditto ITTL where it's pretty much the main problem.

Free Port of Puvungna
Chapter 3: Anthem for Doomed Youth

"Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?"

1704345287114.png

🚩 The Vexillologist's Codex
The Web's Foremost Database for Flags, Banners, and Heraldry that anyone can edit!

🔎 Search

puvugna flag.png

Puvungna (2021-)
AKA: Free Port of Puvungna, Port Emergence

Puvungna is an unrecognized self-described "anarchist commune" located on the site of the Port of Los Angeles in Southern California (New York Times, 2021). It was founded in 2021 following the region's water crisis.

Puvungna's flag consists of three wavy stripes of blue, gold, and green. The wavy stripes are purposefully meant to contrast with the flag of the city of Los Angeles, which uses jagged stripes of green, gold, and red. Here, the blue represents the Pacific Ocean, the gold represents the sunny weather, and the green represents the "ideal natural state of Tovangar before European colonization" (Community Charter of Puvungna, 2021). The blue elderberries in the middle of the flag are native to the California coast and are an important symbol of the community. As of 2023, several community gardens in Puvungna have elderberry shrubs (Port Emergence People's Newsletter, 2023). The current flag of Puvungna was adopted on January 14, 2022 following a community-wide vote.

Despite the flag's heavy use of Tongva symbolism, only five people in the entire commune were confirmed to have any significant Tongva ancestry (National Review, 2022). The majority of the population were student activists from nearby universities, along with a significant contingent of evicted and homeless people from the nearby area who were welcomed into the community.

See Related Entries:
  • Freetown Christiania (1971-)
  • Zapatista Army of National Liberation (1994-)
  • Free Citizens' Zone of Auburn (2021-2022)

Last edited:
Since the GTA 6 trailer dropped last night and Miami (Vice City) is practically flooded and burning permanently ITTL, where is GTA 6 taking place in Icarusverse?
GTA 3, GTA: Vice City, and San Andreas were released in 2001, 2002, and 2004 respectively, all to critical acclaim.

Rockstar North was working on GTA IV, set in the sprawling state of Liberty (modeled after New York, New Jersey, and parts of Connecticut) when Take-Two Interactive downsized and restructured following a corporate takeover in the aftermath of the 2010 recession. Development on the game stopped and the company focused on porting its existing games over to the soon-to-be-released PS4. Employees were frustrated at the company's direction and a large portion of them left to start their own studio. GTA IV released in 2012 and was panned by critics. GTA: Vice, the studio's next game, would be an always-online multiplayer open world game set in Vice City, and was released in 2016. It was financially successful for the company, but fans disliked the in-game paywalls and Rockstar straying away from the singleplayer story-focused aspect of previous installments. The game's scathing criticism of Miami was also criticized by mainstream media outlets in the wake of the evacuation of Miami in 2018. The game's servers shut down in 2021, and Rockstar is not known to currently be working on any future GTA projects.

If I could choose though, I'd go with New Orleans. Unique culture and aesthetic, different crime scene from other cities. You could probably just call it New Marseilles or something. Although at that point it'd basically just be Mafia.
I'm not a scientist by any means, but by what I've read, the ozone layer shouldn't impact the solar flare, since Earth's magnetosphere is the one that mitigates the impacts of solar flares. There might be more UV light that seeps through during solar flare events, however. And it looks solar flares can thin the ozone layer, so 2024 probably isn't going to be a great year.
Marijuana illegal in California?
Libertarian attitudes are much less prevalent in the American political mainstream ITTL. Aside from gay marriage, which has progressed about the same as OTL.

View attachment 879460

🚩 The Vexillologist's Codex
The Web's Foremost Database for Flags, Banners, Heraldry that anyone can edit!

🔎 Search

View attachment 879464
Puvungna

Puvungna is an unrecognized self-described "anarchist commune" located on the site of the Port of Los Angeles in Southern California (New York Times, 2021). It was founded in 2021 following the region's water crisis.

Puvungna's flag consists of three wavy stripes of blue, gold, and green. The wavy stripes are purposefully meant to contrast with the flag of the city of Los Angeles, which uses jagged stripes of green, gold, and red. Here, the blue represents the Pacific Ocean, the gold represents the sunny weather, and the green represents the "ideal natural state of Tovangar before European colonization" (Community Charter of Puvungna, 2021). The blue elderberries in the middle of the flag are native to the California coast and are an important symbol of the community. As of 2023, several community gardens in Puvungna have elderberry shrubs (Port Emergence People's Newsletter, 2023). The current flag of Puvungna was adopted on January 14, 2022 following a community-wide vote.

Despite the flag's heavy use of Tongva symbolism, only five people in the entire commune were confirmed to have any significant Tongva ancestry (National Review, 2022). The majority of the population were student activists from nearby universities, along with a significant contingent of evicted and homeless people from the nearby area who were welcomed into the community.
This is gonna end spectacularly bad and relatively quick. Especially the shipping containers part as DIY "homes" and they probably gonna last maybe a month or two at most.
Like lol, how are these anarchists going to get any insulation from the coldness of night, indoor plumbing systems for human waste disposal, electricity, etc? Where will they poo and pee? The metal containers are also quite a horrible thermal insulator which means they'll get very hot during mid-day/mid-summer and very cold during midnight/mid-winter. Also if they were to cut out the metal walls and floors just to add windows and stick in pipes and whatnot, they would have to reinforce the weakened metal framings with even more expensive wooden frames or steel. Expect mold and rot to proliferate. Expect some deaths due to overheating during the day and hypothermia during the night/winters.

View attachment 879460

Puvungna

[/SPOILER]
COMMUNE!!!! Maybe its not all that bad, though uh its kinda wild that theyre appropriating Tongva culture like that. Though they do have a beautiful flag! But, I mean based forming of community in times of hardship. Sucks Weed isn't legal in ITTL California cuz that would probably be even more popular because of all the stress the world's causing.

We stan with the Puvungnans

Just finished reading this and wow, I'm impressed. Honestly I get major Children of Men vibes from this timeline: the headlines of the world falling apart remind me a lot of what you can see in the background of that film.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is on British TV ITTL.

Just finished reading this and wow, I'm impressed. Honestly I get major Children of Men vibes from this timeline: the headlines of the world falling apart remind me a lot of what you can see in the background of that film.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is on British TV ITTL.
Same here, for definite. Bet 2027 Children of Men and 2027 Icarus are one and the same.