Hail, Britannia

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by LeinadB93, Jul 30, 2017.

1. StormStar King-Emperor of the Britannic Empire and Kingdom

United Kingdom and Empire of Greater Britannic
    I was saying I think it would be based on the UK system, and explained what the system is to show the differences between your system and the actual UK system.

I wasn’t saying you didn’t know the UK system, considering you merged the UK and USA into one in your post it is clear you do.

2. Arthur Marston Member

What would the Empire's automotive industry look like?

IOTL, American (and to a lesser extent, Canadian) automotive tastes historically trended towards big cars with big engines and soft handling, a product of low gas prices and America's extensive highway system which encouraged emphasis on long-haul comfort. Britain, by contrast, generally tends to prefer smaller cars with more responsive handling.

Damian0358, Gladsome and Ferd42 like this.
  3. gunnerkite Active Member

I'd imagine a bit of a combination of the two but leaning towards the American style I'd guess. Certainly in most uke countries like North America,, Australia and the liege,with the British isles tending to the smaller side as they have to get around places not designed for cars... especially wide ones!

It's a shame this now seems dead. I've been enjoying this immensely... especially given the current state of uk politics!

4. MatthewFirth Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping the thread alive without asking the obvious questions...

Ferd42 likes this.
  5. Arthur Marston Member

Here's what I think it'd be like.

Using General Motors cars as examples, a typical UE automaker's lineup in 1973-the last year before the OPEC embargo-would look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Full-size (OTL US mid-size segment)
    [​IMG]
    Mid-size (OTL compact(US)/executive car(UK) segment)
    [​IMG]
    Compact (OTL subcompact(US)/large family car(UK) segment)
    [​IMG]
    Subcompact (OTL small family car segment)

Now for the present day, I'd assume it'd look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Full-size
    [​IMG]
    Mid-size
    [​IMG]
    Compact
    [​IMG]
    Subcompact
    [​IMG]
    City car

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    Ferd42 likes this.
  6. AlexVonWolfstein Member

But, I do live in the UK though, born and bred Yorkshireman XD

I have just always disliked how the education in the UK is. I just found it did not benefit anyone much, especially from my own experience which is why I altered it a tad.

Having said that, I did love my 6th form, I just think having 4 years there instead of two seems better.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM
  7. AlexVonWolfstein Member

*Alt Historical brain implodes*

But, without the colonies becoming independent, France would not fall into a revolution so soon fro bankruptcy from assisting the colonists, which would lead to a more than likely outcome of France becoming a constitutional monarchy, thus never allowing Napoleon to rise.

This would also mean Germany would not merge into larger German States due to Napoleon's influence.

8. Indicus Raganus Indicum

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
    I must state that I disagree with the analysis that delaying France's massive financial chaos by a few years (a decade at most, France was at breaking point with or without the ARW) would magically make the absolutist Louis XVI accept being reduced massively in power. I'm inclined to think France would still become a republic, since after all those ideas were already in the air and an obstinate king and aristocracy would exist in any case.

Secondly, if you see the first post of this thread, you will see that this TL has many, many PODs and is stated to be on the Type II and Type III scenario on the Sliding Scale of Alternate History Plausibility. So, none of this really matters. Take this for what it is - a cool worldbuilding project with cool graphics.

9. AlexVonWolfstein Member

I am unsure about that, there were so much that was plausible. But yes, the revolution would not have happened as quickly as it did. With the French not supporting the colonists financially, it would not lead to an instant collapse.
    I highly recommend AltHistoryHub on YouTube, his debriefs into the possible scenarios take a lot of aspects into account.

I am trying, but it does cause some historical/alt-historical conflict with me.

10. Arthur Marston Member

Given how the First Treaty of Fontainebleau never happens ITTL, one would expect the French monarchy to implode sooner than OTL. IIRC, France was flat broke after the Seven Years' War, and the sale of Louisiana to Spain helped alleviate some of the financial pressure.