From Exile to Triumph: a Western Roman Timeline

Why instead don't focus over Neoplatonic developments in the West? I don't see much success for Athens's Academy to survive ITTL as well but Neoplatonism could thrive in the WRE as long to being assimilated in a Christian view - well Agustine and Ambrose already did but their speculation didn't proceed further in a period where philosophical and religious debates felt of importance due to other necessities. Only there is to think how. I don't even think if Greek platonic students would seek solace in the West would adapt their views to Neoplatonism, too "Westernized" or worse "Christianized" to their eyes.

What I am implying here is the second Neoplatonism could thrive 1000 years before time because there is the adapt soil - a christian but mostly laical ruled western country with sufficient freedom of thinking. Naturally this could only develop in a very urbanized reality hence or in Rome or most likely Mediolanum. I won't even exclude the Mediolanensis diocesis's autonomy could take off ITTL from becoming an important philosophic center.

Returning on pilgrimages, sure they existed even before Saint Helene, but the gist in this case is a stable and united Roman Christian Italy and this is meaning much ITTL, especially now that Arianism is contracting towards Iberia and Germany and the golden age of Irish Christianity is going soon to start.

The problem here would be how to successfully keep the academy ( or its successor) alive in a deeply Christianised empire. I mean some emperors could just ignore their existence in Athens, but supporting their refoundation would be an entirely different things. Considering the period and what I ve in mind for the empire, I think I should think carefully before implementing an idea that could spoil the “ plausibility” of the story.
Anyway there is plenty of time to think about it, and I don t exclude the idea of a rediscovery of philosophy many years ( even centuries) after the end of the academy.

Chapter XXVII: The new Praefecture
Chapter XXVII

Despite being eager to reach the capital of his empire and secure the throne against possible usurpers, Marcianus knew that he had to secure Gaul first, before crossing again the Alps. Only 30 years ago the lack of proper control and defence brought to the loss of the region to barbarians, at the time of his father’s deposition and exile. God however had finally granted the Romans another change, by spreading discord among the barbarians and Marcianus had no intention to waste this opportunity. Thus he spent the remaining months of the year 507 in the city of Arelate. Here he would apply the same laws and reforms that his father had enacted in Italy for 30 years. More importantly he would also appoint the responsibles for the application of this laws. Three new provinces would be created inside the new Diocese of Gaul: Narbonensis I, Narbonensis II ( comprising the coastal territory of the former provinces of Narbonensis II and Viennensis) and Alpes Maritimae. Each provinces would be ruled by a Praeses while the entire Diocesi would be assigned to the Praefectus Praetorio in Arelate ( since his praefecture included only a single Diocese there was no need for a Vicarius as intermediary). The first Prafectus appointed by Marcianus was the influential senator and former Praefectus Urbis Quintus Aurelius Memmius Symmachus, a man that the emperor was sure would bring peace and stability to the inhabitants of Gaul. Thanks to the influence of Symmachus, his son-in-law Anicius Boethius would be appointed Quaestor Sacri Palatii, one of the most important administrative position of the empire. The military defence of the recently conquered territory would be assigned to a Magister Militum per Gallias, with the bulk of his army composed by some of the Italic and Burgundian units that took part in the recent campaign. Consequently the Dux Liguria et Alpes would be deprived of most of his units, considering that now Italy no longer faced existential threats from the West. The first Magister Militum per Gallias appointed by Marcianus would be the former Comes Domesticorum Equitum Avitus, considering that the previous holder of this title, Syagrius, had died in the years 501.

Before departing for Italy during the next year, Marcianus was also able to deal with the diplomatic situation of the empire with the other Romano-barbarian kingdoms in Gaul. As with the goths, Marcianus had also reached an agreement with the Franks of Clovis where the two men agreed to recognise the actual division of the spoils of war and the existing border between the empire and the Franks. Additionally the Frankish king was able to secure for himself the title of Patricius of the empire in exchange for the promise of keeping the Franks and his Burgundian vassal away from the small Roman Diocese beyond the Alps. The emperor however also dealt directly with king Gundobad in an attempt to secure analogues warranties and also in order to gain more influence in the region. Despite the unfriendly relations between the two, Gundobad recognised the need to protect his independence from his two powerful neighbours by gaining the friendship of at least one of them, thus prompting him to recognise the recent (limited) losses.

Having secured his conquered territories, Iulius Marcianus proceeded to cross the Alps and enter the Italian Peninsula, after the end of the winter. Among the many cities visited by the emperor there was Mediolanum, where Marcianus fulfilled his father’s promise of restoring the via porticata, with the help of the gothic treasure. From here he would move to Rome where he would join the official celebrations held in the capital for his recent victory and for the beginning of his reign. In the city of Rome the new emperor received delegations from the most important rulers of his time and most importantly the congratulations from his eastern colleague Anastasius along with the condolence for his father’s death. The two emperors would jointly assume the consulate during the following year. Another delegation from the gothic king and magister militum Theodoric prompted him to reinforce the ties between the Germanic leader and the empire, in order to allow his empire to focus on different matters. Therefore he agreed to a marriage proposal between his brother and heir Procopius and Amalasuntha, the young daughter of Theodoric and a woman of Pannonian origin. The wedding was celebrated in Constantinople, where his brother resided, an even though the young Caesar was initially disappointed by such decision, the marriage proved to be happy and immediately blessed with the birth of two twins. Born in 509 AD, the two infants were a boy and a girl. The boy was called Anastasius, in honour of his godfather the emperor, while the girls was called Constantina. Only time would tell it this link to the imperial family would be enough to satisfy the powerful Magister Militum.

Last edited:
So we have a Viennesis Dioceses converted into a Gallic one, I wonder if this may lead in the long term to just the south being called Gaul and the north Francia... again up to the future.

So Arelate would become the capital of Roman Gallia (logic site but with the risk if falling to whatever enemy to cut the region in half), and the praefectus will become one of the most powerful men of the Empire being subject directly to the Emperor. But also ruler of one of the more delicate areas, between the Franks and the Visigoths... a position challenging but also profitable to exploit. I can see why Marcianus needed to be cautious. Roman Gallia in the hand of the wrong hand could become a formidable operational base for a potential usurper.

"small dioceses beyond the Alps"... not so small, but Clovis may be inclined or induced to believe that, if else to believe his conquests in Gallia are completed. The Burgundians are between a rock and hard place as OTL (only they have the Romans as neighbours instead of the Ostrogoths) and at least they can thrive in their lands. Maybe...

Meanwhile the Patriarchate is going to reap its own profit from the new status quo, with Gallia all going to embrace Christianity and Arianism receding in Iberia, which is not different from OTL, but with the usual TTL twist that behind the Church there is the Imperial Throne...

The future generation of Roman princes looks to be very interesting, but also creating future issues between the Imperial house and the one of Gothia...

Is there a chance that instead of Justin,Procopius gets selected as the new Eastern Emperor instead?In terms of his pedigree,he would have been the more obvious candidate to the throne.If he wanted to,he can also count on the support of the WRE(not militarily,but in terms of funding and influence to win votes).

Last edited:
So we have a Viennesis Dioceses converted into a Gallic one, I wonder if this may lead in the long term to just the south being called Gaul and the north Francia... again up to the future.
It’s a possibility, if the actual division of Gaul prove to be permanent. Alternatively souther Gaul could just end up part of a different administrative unit ( like the concept of “Italia” evolved during the history of the empire).
"small dioceses beyond the Alps"... not so small, but Clovis may be inclined or induced to believe that, if else to believe his conquests in Gallia are completed. The Burgundians are between a rock and hard place as OTL (only they have the Romans as neighbours instead of the Ostrogoths) and at least they can thrive in their lands. Maybe...
Here the Burgundian kingdom would probably become what the Armenian kingdom was for the Romans and the Persians: a strategic client kingdom alternatively subjected to the Romans or the Franks.
The future generation of Roman princes looks to be very interesting, but also creating future issues between the Imperial house and the one of Gothia...
Currently Theodoric has only one available male heir: Amalaric. Anastasius represent an alternative, but I don’t know if the goths would accept a romanized prince too much related to the imperial house. His situation resemble that of the Roman-gothic prince Theodosius ( Ataulf and Placidia’ son) but since he died young, we don t know the possible reaction of the gothic aristocracy to an half Roman prince.
Is there a chance that instead of Justin,Procopius gets selected as the new Eastern Emperor instead?In terms of his pedigree,he would have been the more obvious candidate to the throne.If he wanted to,he can also count on the support of the WRE(not militarily,but in terms of funding and influence to win votes).
Hypatius and Pompeius would have been even more obvious. OTL they didn’t play any role in the succession while Justin used the imperial treasury to buy the purple ( the treasury was assigned to him by a member of the imperial administration who ordered him to favour the election of another civilian officer, but Justin was able to personally profit from the situation thanks to the money and the soldiers loyal to him).
As I said before the history of the East
will remain mostly unchanged until the reign of Justinian. Only then the butterflies will start to directly affect Constantinople ( maybe some of you can already imagine how this is going to happen).

Last edited:
I hope he wouldn't think to pursue an Imperial unification...
Considering his personality ( but this is only my opinion), I think he would consider the idea of getting rid of the western empire. But there is a difference between ambitions and reality and who knows what could happen during his reign...

Considering his personality ( but this is only my opinion), I think he would consider the idea of getting rid of the western empire. But there is a difference between ambitions and reality and who knows what could happen during his reign...

Perhaps Procopius can introduce Belisarius to his older brother,assuming he met and recognized the genius of Belisarius before the Eastern emperor?

Perhaps Procopius can introduce Belisarius to his older brother,assuming he met and recognized the genius of Belisarius before the Eastern emperor?
I won’t miss the opportunity of using such interesting character. The circumstances of this encounter however will be different, and Procopius will have a different role in the eastern court.
The Nika riots succeed in overthrowing Justinian? Maybe?
Considering that we are close to the event, I can tell you that you’re right. However I won’t reveal the exact details of this alternate Nika.

I won’t miss the opportunity of using such interesting character. The circumstances of this encounter however will be different, and Procopius will have a different role in the eastern court.

Considering that we are close to the event, I can tell you that you’re right. However I won’t reveal the exact details of this alternate Nika.
Is Procopius intentionally avoiding his older brother? I can’t imagine why a prince would go on what basically tantamount as an exile otherwise.

I think justintina will view the western Roman Empire as a legitimate successor or a false pretender to the throne also due to butter flies the hundred age peace between the Byzantium and Persia will last because they will not have the resource to engage in a war in Persia

Is Procopius intentionally avoiding his older brother? I can’t imagine why a prince would go on what basically tantamount as an exile otherwise.
Not really, beside that I wouldn’t call this stay in Constantinople an exile, since the city probably has more to offer than Rome. Procopius is just following the good old Roman tradition of continuing his studies outside Italy. He enjoys good relations with his brother, but the eastern empire has more to offer to a man of culture like him. This could mean that he and his family are going to spend their life in Constantinople, but I don’t exclude a possible return to Italy.
I think justintina will view the western Roman Empire as a legitimate successor or a false pretender to the throne also due to butter flies the hundred age peace between the Byzantium and Persia will last because they will not have the resource to engage in a war in Persia
Not exactly a false pretender ( we are talking about the son of an emperor acknowledged by Constantinople after all) but maybe an obstacle to his dreams of glory and his ambitions.

Chapter XXVIII: First moves on the economic field
Chapter XXVIII

Since the death of the last Theodosian, Flavius Iulius Marcianus was the first Augustus of the west to enjoy a smooth succession. The first years of his reign didn’t see any particular threat to his rule and Marcianus knew that he had to thank his father for this situation. He was the first emperor who didn’t have to impose his authority to the provinces by force. The fact that the number of provinces had decreased during the second half of the previous century certainly favoured this.Yet the empire still suffered from several problems, old and new. But before dealing with these problems, Marcianus had to enact an additional measure that he deemed necessary for Gaul. Cities like Tolosa or Arelate were granted two years of tax exemption, in order to allow a quick recovery from the last war and more importantly to win the support of the inhabitants, as some of them had actively collaborated with the goths while others resented the imperial decision of imposing military units inside the cities.

Back to Italy the emperor took some time to think about how he should spend the gothic treasure that had so generously filled the imperial coffers. Part of that treasure had already been spent in order to finance the celebrations in Rome, the gift to the inhabitants of Mediolanum and the new administration in Gaul ( that required money in order to enforce the recent laws, in particular those that involved the recovery/distribution of lands) but Marcianus had something more in mind. Not related to the necessities of the empire was the construction of a new Mausoleum for his family, just outside the city of Rome, where the land for the location was slightly more cheaper, thus allowing to spend more on the monument. This new Mausoleum was built along the Ostiensis way, not only for the amount of land available along the road but also for another reason: the first time that Nepos conquered the throne, it happened after his landing in Ostia in 474 and his march to Rome that took place along the Ostiensis way. In was there that his family had conquered the empire, and it was there that his family should rest.
His father would be the first to enjoy the eternal rest inside the building, quickly joined by the already deceased son of emperor Procopius Anthemius, Romulus ( who had died in 504 AD) and Anthemiolus, who had died about 30 years earlier in Gaul and until that moment was buried in the city of Arelate. Nepos’ uncle, Marcellinus, remained in the city of Salona, after a delegation from the inhabitants reached the emperor with the request to allow the deceased Magister Militum to rest in the city, where the inhabitants now considered him their protector. Thanks to the piety of a Roman priest, the unburied body of Procopius Anthemius, the man considered the founder of this new dynasty, had been preserved and recovered. Ricimer’s act of impiety had finally ceased its effects, after almost 40 years. With the final addition of Marcia Euphemia, the imperial mausoleum now housed the entire “Procopian” dynasty, the successor of the Theodosians and now their political heirs.

After all these expenses, Marcianus still had resources available for more useful projects: he resumed his father’s policy of increasing the proportion of money used for the payment of the army, thus reducing the use of goods for this purpose. This change aimed at improving the economic condition of the Roman soldier while making such position more desirable. However the frontier units of the Limitanei were not affected by this measure. Additionally he implemented another measure that took inspiration from a decree of the eastern Roman emperor, concerning the payment of taxes by the landowners. With some exceptions for certain categories like the Beneficiarii and certain provinces like Raetia and Noricum, the landowners of the empire from now on would be required to pay their taxes in money rather than in goods. These two measure had one precise purpose: the return of the western empire to an economy based on a proper currency rather than continuing with the use of the products of the land for the upkeep of the army and the bureaucracy . The empire had lost almost every province, but what was left was one of the richest land of the Mediterranean, deemed by the emperor as able to sustain this change. Certainly this measure would not be gladly accepted by the ones affected by it, but the emperor finally had the means to impose once again his will upon the inhabitants of the empire. And with an army that was directly and positively affected by the emperor’s will, there wasn’t much that his opponents could do against him, lest they wished to risk their assets and maybe their own lives. Still after these measures, the emperor could count on a substantial part of the gothic treasure, however Marcianus didn’t undertake further expensive projects, except minor reparations of the city’s infrastructures and a partial embellishment of the imperial palace. What was left was spared for future projects or necessities, since Marcianus adopted Anastasius’ attitude toward the economy, in an attempt to increase the resources available to him and so the options available to the empire.

Last edited:
Not really, beside that I wouldn’t call this stay in Constantinople an exile, since the city probably has more to offer than Rome. Procopius is just following the good old Roman tradition of continuing his studies outside Italy. He enjoys good relations with his brother, but the eastern empire has more to offer to a man of culture like him. This could mean that he and his family are going to spend their life in Constantinople, but I don’t exclude a possible return to Italy.

Not exactly a false pretender ( we are talking about the son of an emperor acknowledged by Constantinople after all) but maybe an obstacle to his dreams of glory and his ambitions.
Would Justinian even feel obliged to campaign in the West if the Western Empire is alive and making good progress in terms of recovery?I honestly don’t think he would.

As for Procopius,I was under the impression that he was intentionally evading his brother because most younger sons of emperors either end up as emperor themselves(legally or not),given another part of an empire to rule or end up dead.With no subdivision of the empire given to him,he would have been a threat to his older brother,hence the need to leave the WRE as soon as his father’s dead.

Can you give eventually some indications where this new mausoleum could have been built in the Roman area, always if you have an idea of course? (If not I may help in this). Is interesting anyway how Marcianus went in part different to certain Flavian funereal architecture (Saint Agnes: he built out of the walls as well, but without a basilica aside it), taking a risk but also giving a signal ("The Empire is safe now so I can bury my family out of the Aurelian Walls")

Is he going to be like his father and push for more reforms in the empire and finally elimate Germanic influence and romanize the empire?

Would Justinian even feel obliged to campaign in the West if the Western Empire is alive and making good progress in terms of recovery?I honestly don’t think he would.
I can imagine that there would be a renewed push to liberate Carthage from the Vandals as a joint project, if that hasn't been done by that point. Since their rule is presumably on the decline as in OTL and the city is rich and isolated, it certainly would be the single most tempting target.