Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Star Wars, I'm honestly going to be very interested in how the Expanded Universe develops ITTL because of how many media came out during the 90s like The Dark Empire, the Thrawn Trilogy, New Jedi Order, the Clone Wars Multimedia Project, Tales of the Jedi, Shadows of the Empire, and etc.
Was there any prequel stories in the EU before the Prequel trilogy?

I don't think so, because IIRC, Lucasfilm put a hard ban on content shortly before the OT (the Prequel era), so that's likely to happen here. Tales of the Jedi is an exception as it's an era that is so long ago (the Old Republic), that the events that happened there don't really matter to the existing canon.

I don't think so, because IIRC, Lucasfilm put a hard ban on content shortly before the OT (the Prequel era), so that's likely to happen here. Tales of the Jedi is an exception as it's an era that is so long ago (the Old Republic), that the events that happened there don't really matter to the existing canon.
Any alternate prequel fanfic?

I suspect that if George doesn't get around to Anakin and Obi-Wan in the Clone Wars, somebody else will (ban or not). Wonder how that'll turn out.

Too bad Legacy of the Force is a goner - I'm starting to think a Luke/Talon sequel trilogy is stupid enough to work.

Last edited:
Any alternate prequel fanfic?
Probably not, as unofficial stories made by fans don't really count for Lucasfilm and the ban is still held up for writers that work on official releases. Still, I do remember that the Clone Wars were referenced in works before the Prequels in some form, where the clones were actually the villain army. So that's something to think about for the movies.

I'm starting to think a Luke/Talon sequel trilogy is stupid enough to work.
Oh god no.

[Looks askance at his copy of Han Solo at Star's End]
Yes? I'm ambiguous on the timing but I know of a couple of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian (fairly short) novels that came out around-if-not-before Zhan wrote the bestsellers.

Do the Exar Kun and Naga Sadow Sith Wars comics from Dark Horse count?
That doesn't count, since they're set 5000-3000 years before the OT. Too long ago to be considered prequels.
Lucasfilm was thinking of timeframes very close to the OT when it came to the ban.

One of the Chancellor's began subverting the Senate and buying off the Senators with the help of the large intergalactic power companies... By the time the third term came along, he had corrupted so much of the Senate that they made him Emperor for the rest of his life.
They reasoned that the Emperor could bring the bureaucracy back in line. So the Emperor took control of the bureaucracy.
There was a rebellion... many of the Senators who were fighting the Emperor at that time mysteriously died. The Jedi Knights...rallied at the Senate's side. But there was a plot afoot and when the Jedi finally rallied and tried to restore order, they were betrayed and eventually killed by Darth Vader.
As seen in these quotes the broad strokes for Phantom Menace have been around for decades. To me they also kinda better than what we got OTL.
Anakin Skywalker began hanging out with the Emperor, who at that point nobody knew was that bad, because he was an elected official. He was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy. Luke’s father gets subverted by the Emperor. He gets a little weird at home and his wife begins to figure out that things are going wrong and she confides in Ben, who is his mentor.

On his missions through the galaxies, Anakin has been going off and doing his Jedi thing and a lot of Jedi have been getting killed – and it’s because they turn their back on him and he cuts them down. The President is turning into the Emperor and Luke’s mother suspects that something has happened to her husband. She is pregnant. Anakin gets worse and worse, and finally Ben has to fight him and he throws him down into a volcano and Vader is all beat up.

When he falls into the pit there is hardly anything left of him by the time the Emperor’s troops fish him out of the drink. Then when Ben finds out that Vader has been fished out and is in the hands of the Empire, he is worried. He goes back to Vader’s wife and explains that Anakin is the bad guy, the one killing all the Jedi.

Mrs. Skywalker has had the kids, the twins, two little babies who are six months old or so. The Skywalker line is very strong with the Force, so Ben says, “I think we should protect the kids, because they may be able to to help us right the wrong that your husband has created in the universe.” Ben takes one and gives him to a couple out there on Tatooine and he gets his little hideout in the hills and he watches him grow. Ben can’t raise Luke himself because he’s a wanted man. Leia and Luke’s mother go to Alderaan and are taken by the king there, who is a friend of Ben’s. She dies shortly thereafter and Leia is brought up by her foster parents. She knows that her real mother died.

I think you can make Ben take the blame for Vader. “I should have given him more training. I should have sent him to Yoda, but I thought I could be as good a teacher as Yoda. I wish that I could stop the pestilence that I’ve unleashed on the galaxy.” His burden is that he feels responsible for everything that Vader has done."

Last edited:
Probably not, as unofficial stories made by fans don't really count for Lucasfilm and the ban is still held up for writers that work on official releases. Still, I do remember that the Clone Wars were referenced in works before the Prequels in some form, where the clones were actually the villain army. So that's something to think about for the movies.
How about fan theories?

How about fan theories?
I haven't seen any from the times before the Prequels, but I'm interested if there was any from fan conventions or even usenet articles.

As seen in these quotes the broad strokes for Phantom Menace have been around for decades. To me they also kinda better than what we got OTL.
Thank god George Lucas made these rough drafts for the Prequels. That does make Geekhis's job a lot easier when it comes to coming up with a narrative for the Prequel Trilogy, although what changes Geekhis will do to the story is something I'm also interested in.

I'm hoping that Tales of the Jedi doesn't get butterflied, as the Old Republic era is simply too good to pass up and opens up a whirlwind of possibilities for the franchise. Even if Revan is butterflied ITTL due to random events in the timeline that is still worth it in my book.

Since [Grade] never cared what the "pointy-headed" fans wanted anyway, he's losing no sleep if they choose to boycott the new show or send hate mail. But he's also more than willing to make extra funds on the side selling Old Who VHS tapes or other merch, and is certainly willing to run older episodes in syndication to fill schedule gaps.

There's a "money printer goes brrrrrr" joke to be had here.

The fact that there's a secondary discussion for the Star Wars Prequels going on was amazingly apropos for me here, because I see a real parallel between the 8th Doctor and The Phantom Menace going on here. In both cases the established older fandom is crying "Ruined Forever" while a new, younger New Generation of fans is tuning in and enjoying it. Luckily for Grade and Ganz-Cooney, the Internet is limited to some Use-Net nerds at this point, so massive, viral, factional internet echo-chambers and hate sites like "the8thdoctormustdie.com" is not going to be an issue, which may help keep the anger from metastasizing into an organized international hatedom.

I think a decently well-organized hatedom would still manifest, given the extreme shift. The best comparison to OTL would be how, in the 1990s, DC Comics turned Hal Jordan into an insane mass murderer. It poisoned the well for the new Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner, and there was a fan group called H.E.A.T. that took out protest ads and would insult GL's writer to his face at conventions. It wouldn't be comparable to modern day fandom blowback, but I definitely think you'd see death threats faxed in and the like — which would seem new & extreme for its day. As you say, the internet is still limited in 1991-93. But H.E.A.T arose in 1994 when the 'net was still tiny, and the British Doctor Who fandom has the benefit of being tighter knit than American fandom simply due to smaller geographic distances & pre-existing communities.

God I love deep fake tech for demonstrating alternate history possibilities:
eltqy1txkaenb4v_by_lurch_jr_dejjmnh-pre.jpg

The realistic part begins about 1:30 into the video.

Is it Getting Warmer?
Remembering When the Cold War Ended
Those Was the Times What Was Netlog, by Hippolyta “Hip” O’Campus

Those who grew in the Cold War will never forget it. It was like having a sword perpetually hanging over your head at all times, Armageddon in 30 minutes or less or your money back. Whether it was the Cuban Missile Crisis for the Boomers or The Day After for Gen X, we all quietly suspected that we’d be radioactive mutants battling killer cockroaches in a Mad Max like wasteland by the time we hit 30.

And then, in a blink of an eye, it was over. Not in a series of nuclear clouds rising on the horizon, but a series of political events, some flashy and headline-grabbing, some barely noticed amid the usual chaos of life.

MuN7jvDvPUJ0ebtUysXCadkqYIHvHFloxF3Uiq5iKiBjYY8FhUekUU9_1gU5w1qRPSVL7FdWGyEWy7hSk8nyU6vT0NFOOYZ-GIUsIHjhdj25ziIKRfJTrN_Tb9zMZRvc-VIPz2NX

New York Times, November 9th, 1989 (Image source New York Public Library)

Most famous was, of course, the fall of the Berlin Wall in November of 1989. In hindsight it turned out to be a bureaucratic mistake, but once it started, the cards began to fall on the shaky house of cards that was the Warsaw Pact. Sure, not everyone was celebrating – a few dedicated Leninists and Stalinists looked on as though it were a literal Armageddon – but most in the world watched enraptured as the people of Berlin, East and West, stood atop the once-deadly barrier and chipped away at it, like they were debriding the last of the scar tissue from World War II.

This would be the start of the collapse of the Eastern Bloc. When anticommunist uprisings began in places like Poland and Romania, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev declined to invoke the old Brezhnev Doctrine and send in the tanks. He let the change happen, and it ultimately cost him dearly, but that’s a story for later.

And yet something even bigger than the Fall of the Wall happened early that December, even when nobody recognized it at the time. Even the largest newspapers hardly gave it much notice at the time, little more than a small column on the front page, if that. On December 2nd and 3rd, 1989, US President Bush and Premier Gorbachev met in Malta, Bush assuring the many skeptics in the West that Gorbachev would negotiate in good faith. Nothing was signed, nothing was formal, but what was accomplished was sublime.

The Malta Summit brought an end to the Cold War.

At the meeting Gorbachev agreed in principle to the formal reunification of Germany. He agreed to not oppose the end of the Warsaw Pact. He and Bush agreed to work openly together to deescalate tensions and begin denuclearization efforts, resulting in the START I & II Treaties. They in all but words agreed to call an end to nearly 50 years of post-WWII animosity.

358px-Malta_Summit_-_Bush_Gorbachev_Meeting_Monument.jpeg

Monument to the Malta Summit

Said Gorbachev: “The world is leaving one epoch and entering another. We are at the beginning of a long road to a lasting, peaceful era. The threat of force, mistrust, psychological and ideological struggle should all be things of the past,” and “I assured the President of the United States that I will never start a hot war against the USA.”

Said Bush: “We can realize a lasting peace and transform the East-West relationship to one of enduring co-operation. That is the future that Chairman Gorbachev and I began right here in Malta.”

And for once the two formerly belligerent powers meant every word.

It wasn’t the end of war. Just two weeks later the United States would invade Panama in an effort to topple President Manuel Noriega, himself a vestige of the Cold War Great Power struggle.

1220_big.gif

New York Times, December 20th, 1989

It also wasn’t, as some at the time were predicting, an “end to history”. But for a moment in time the people of the world could take a deep breath, perhaps only just then realizing how much the tensions of the Cold War weighed down upon them, and celebrate Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards Men (and Women!).

That were very interesting time...and yes, it's hard to image now how the idea of doom was fatalistically accepted at a certain level

Status
Not open for further replies.