Status
Not open for further replies.
I can always retcon that if you're passionate about it. Honestly Sega's owner matters little to my overall TL.
Nah, you don't have to retcon it, was just curious since it didn't seem to line up for me time-wise (and 'course it was chump change, it just felt worth mentioning).

This is your timeline after all, and the others seem to be really taking to the idea of Sega being under Triad! The only real argument one could make on retconning it is that it'd allow things to continue as they were for Sega for now, since I imagine them being under Triad would to some degree really influence things. So you do you!

Nah, you don't have to retcon it, was just curious since it didn't seem to line up for me time-wise (and 'course it was chump change, it just felt worth mentioning).

This is your timeline after all, and the others seem to be really taking to the idea of Sega being under Triad! The only real argument one could make on retconning it is that it'd allow things to continue as they were for Sega for now, since I imagine them being under Triad would to some degree really influence things. So you do you!
It'll be fun to play with either way. I honestly hadn't put too much thought into it. Much bigger fish to fry TL-wise, as it were.

Hmm...

If Disney either strangles Transformers as a brand, takes it a direction that aborts nostalgia for it without bringing in new fan blood (like if Beast Wars had had Bob Harras, Rob Liefeld, or Howard Mackie as its show runner or story editor), and/or Warner, Unversal, Triad, or even Atlantic makes a secret tender offer for the park rights, so Disney decides to play dog in the manger, ultimately resorting in the same sort of court cases that stripped James Cameron of Spider-Man film rights and confined the Italian an Turkish adaptations to the EU, could that allow room for someone to option bringing the Brave Series to America? For that matter, is it possible to butterfly Bandai's buyout of Sunrise that created the conflict with Takara that ultimately doomed that toyline?
I could only see this happening after Jim Henson's time at Disney and not during.

I don't think Disney is going to ruin the Transformers brand as long as Henson remains the primary creative force behind Disney. Marvel already laid the groundwork for them in its previous iteration and he might as well use them to reinvigorate the franchise once more.

But who would bring the Brave series into America? Maybe Disney again, but I don't know if they will run an anime-only block like Toonami for the Disney Channel. If not, then CartoonTV might be the most likely candidate. I already thought of series like Gundam, Dragon Ball, Urusei Yatsura, or Fist of the North Star as part of CartoonTV, but why not add something like GaoGaiGar into the lineup?

Bandai buying Sunrise seems inevitable unless Tomino or some other creators in Sunrise suddenly gain massive support from either Japan or the West against Bandai, which seems incredibly unlikely. The sale also brought about G Gundam, so I'm not sure if I even want to support it unless it results in something like a better Victory Gundam.

I don't think Disney is going to ruin the Transformers brand as long as Henson remains the primary creative force behind Disney. Marvel already laid the groundwork for them in its previous iteration and he might as well use them to reinvigorate the franchise once more.
In other word, it may be possible to have the Transformers integrated into the Marvel Mythos, ie, Prime could be the one who does the Snap!
But who would bring the Brave series into America? Maybe Disney again, but I don't know if they will run an anime-only block like Toonami for the Disney Channel. If not, then CartoonTV might be the most likely candidate. I already thought of series like Gundam, Dragon Ball, Urusei Yatsura, or Fist of the North Star as part of CartoonTV, but why not add something like GaoGaiGar into the lineup?
While we're on the topic of Toonami... #WenToonami
Bandai buying Sunrise seems inevitable unless Tomino or some other creators in Sunrise suddenly gain massive support from either Japan or the West against Bandai, which seems incredibly unlikely. The sale also brought about G Gundam, so I'm not sure if I even want to support it unless it results in something like a better Victory Gundam.
I'm sure Victory Gundam running concurrent with G could work.

OK, so having read the original book version of Forrest Gump earlier, any way to have TTL's version be more faithful to that: less of a Baby Boomer nostalgia trip, and more of a satirical dark tall tale?

In other word, it may be possible to have the Transformers integrated into the Marvel Mythos, ie, Prime could be the one who does the Snap!
Ehhhhhh...I kinda want both universes to be separate instead of putting every single Marvel character into some weird crossover continuity. Optimus Prime is a hero, but not a superhero. Maybe there would be comics where they cross over but it might be non-canon specials just for fun and won't advance either lore.

While we're on the topic of Toonami... #WenToonami
I'm more tantalized at the idea of Disney creating a separate anime block for the Disney Channel, even if that's kinda unlikely. Maybe as a counterpart for Saturday Morning Cartoons similar to OTL Toonami.

I'm sure Victory Gundam running concurrent with G could work.
Well, it's certainly possible both would be part of the anime block but I'd rather prefer if ITTL Toonami chose both G Gundam and Zeta Gundam, especially if the buyout of Sunrise turns Victory Gundam into a rotten apple for the franchise. Any exec in CartoonTV watching Victory Gundam would rightfully be put off by the terrible creative decisions that Tomino put just to deliberately sabotage the show (like REALLY bad).

If Henson was put off by Transformers: The Movie, he'd vomit at what Tomino put in Victory.
At least the Victory Gundam / V2 Gundam was majestic as hell in its series....

Last edited:
I'm more tantalized at the idea of Disney creating a separate anime block for the Disney Channel, even if that's kinda unlikely. Maybe as a counterpart for Saturday Morning Cartoons similar to OTL Toonami.
If they do I think they should focus on stuff created by Umataro Tenma and similar material.

Very likely that Disney could get Osamu Tezuka's works ported over to the Disney Channel like Kimba and Astro Boy if they ever do an anime block like Toonami. Japan did produce animated series on both during the 80s, so a late 89/early 90s introduction wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Maybe Urusei Yatsura could be in the lineup?

I reckon Osomatsu-kun could also be good enough for Disney, being a light hearted comedy. In general, whatever shows they would allow in the Disney Channel is going to depend on how much they can stomach dark subject matter and character deaths, which kinda filters out....quite a lot.

Very likely that Disney could get Osamu Tezuka's works ported over to the Disney Channel like Kimba and Astro Boy if they ever do an anime block like Toonami. Japan did produce animated series on both during the 80s, so a late 89/early 90s introduction wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Maybe Urusei Yatsura could be in the lineup?

I reckon Osomatsu-kun could also be good enough for Disney, being a light hearted comedy. In general, whatever shows they would allow in the Disney Channel is going to depend on how much they can stomach dark subject matter and character deaths, which kinda filters out....quite a lot.
Perhaps Doraemon could work for the channel?

Perhaps Doraemon could work for the channel?
Oh yes, but maybe a Doraemon dub would exist in a separate lineup alongside Mickey since it's pretty much for young kids. Arguably the same for Maya the Honey Bee and other similar shows. If not, then it's very possible that it would join something like Astro Boy, Osomatsu-kun, and Kimba.

Tbh it's all more of a reason why Disney might get the Brave series from Sunrise to compete with CartoonTV's lineup of darker shows if both released an anime block without resorting to extreme violence and dark content.

Actually....now that I think about it.....would Sailor Moon be airing on Disney if this was a thing? I hope that's a reality because then she would be an unofficial Disney Princess!

Last edited:
Actually....now that I think about it.....would Sailor Moon be airing on Disney if this was a thing? I hope that's a reality because then she would be an unofficial Disney Princess!
Well, Disney did own DiC Entertainment during the making of their Sailor Moon dub in our timeline, thus technically making Usagi a former unofficial Disney Princess under the same vein as Tinker Bell.

Brillstein X: an EGOT Case
Chapter 11, An EGOT Case
Excerpt from Where Did I Go Right? (or: You’re No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead), by Bernie Brillstein (with Cheryl Henson)

People inevitably accuse me on getting into the music production game just so that I could complete my EGOT[1]. Guess what? They’re right! I make no excuses. I now have the full collector’s set of gaudy golden dust catchers in a glass case on my shelf. And like my friend and fellow EGOT Mel Brooks, I prefer to use the French pronunciation for my EGOT, with the silent T.

Yes, I’m shameless. Sue me. But damn if I didn’t have fun! Not only did I produce albums through Disney Music for all the kid’s stuff (1987’s Waggle Rockin’ won me the Grammy for Best Children’s Album and satisfied my EGOT), but I convinced Tom Wilhite to launch a Hyperion Music label to produce more adult fare. In addition to scores and soundtracks for Hyperion productions, we signed original artists. My first sign was Thelonious Monster, a weird Jazz/Rock/Rap fusion group that I can’t even begin to understand. The name sounded to me like a Sesame Street Muppet. But Jim loved them, and as always, I trust Jim’s judgement. They never sold Gold or breached the Top 100, but got some Grammy noms, found a good and mildly profitable niche audience, and inspired a lot of later bands. Thelonious Monster T-shirts are apparently one of those things (along with Misfits shirts) that even today kids wear to show that they’re “cultured but rebellious”. It’s amazing how profitable rebellion can be for big corporations like Disney.

Hyperion Music was never going to compete with the big boys like Geffen, Virgin, or EMI, but it would make its mark. We signed some real talent over the next couple of years, like Jane's Addiction (at the suggestion of Thelonious Monster), They Might Be Giants (David Lazer saw them in New York and figured correctly that Jim would like them), Stone Temple Pilots (a San Diego band one of the Imagineers suggested), and The Liquid Drifters[2] (another of those weird things).

Movies kept going well. My partnerships with my old SNL friends continued. Steve Martin had his passion project Roxanne, a retelling of Cyrano De Bergerac. Danny Ackroyd and Tom Hanks starred in the comedic retelling of the old radio/TV drama Dragnet[3] in partnership with Universal. Miracle, the story about the Japan Airlines Flight 123 that somehow made a crazy emergency landing in the bay, made a modest profit thanks to being a hit in Japan despite under-performing in the US. And sure, it wasn’t all perfect. Weird Al Yankovic’s The Vidiots barely broke even, though it would go on to become a cult classic. The Fred Savage and Judge Reinhold helmed Vice Versa, a Freaky Friday type thing, broke even when marketing and distribution were considered. And Ron Miller launched a Jim Thorpe biopic that underperformed.

But for the most part there were more hits than misses. Jim brought me a script for Fantasia called Alien Nation, a Sci-Fi story about racism that he loved and which did pretty good (but far from great) at the box office, and later became a cult classic. And we also launched The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made, which it literally was, all but guaranteeing a great profit by simply being too cheap to fail. Frank Oz had moved on to other things, so we brought back Ken Kwapis, who directed Follow that Bird. Finally, Diana took over a script from Universal called Cocktail[4], a dark take on the seemingly glamourous life of a bartender in New York. Author Heywood Gould was annoyed with the changes that Universal wanted, and remarked how we were more willing to work with our creative artists than most studios.

Big_Poster.jpg

Steve and Lisa even approached me with a script Steve’s sister Anne and her neighbor Gary Ross had written about a teenage boy who gets transformed into an adult. Michael Richards and Jim Carrey both lobbied hard for the lead role, but Anne and Gary wanted Tom Hanks and wanted Penny Marshall to direct. Damned if we didn’t get them. Big released in the early fall hoping to capitalize on back-to-school angst and would go on to gross $152 million. It earned Gary and Anne and Penny and Tom Oscar nominations, and proved to the world what I knew all along, that Tom Hanks had dramatic chops[5].

The_Adventures_of_Baron_M%C3%BCnchausen_%281988_Film%29.jpg
JackPearl3.jpg

Meanwhile, I got to have my own wish come true when I found out that Terry Gilliam’s next movie in his sort-of-trilogy was The Adventures of Baron von Munchhausen. As you’re probably sick of hearing me tell you, my Uncle Jack Pearl, the man who inspired me to go into The Business, used to play the Baron on the radio. Not only did I jump at the chance to produce it, but I made sure that it was dedicated to the memory of Uncle Jack, who passed in 1982. I still consider it “his movie”. It would go on to make $115 million that Christmas season against a $35 million budget[6].

Good_Morning%2C_Vietnam.jpg

Meanwhile, Robin Williams, who was playing the King of the Moon in Munchausen, approached me with another idea: Good Morning, Vietnam[7]. He’d been itching to greenlight the project since ‘79 when he and his agent, Larry Brezner, first optioned Adrian Cronauer's original pitch for a TV show. Williams had seen Red Ball Express and saw it as proof that you could do a war comedy. I greenlit it on the spot and we filmed it simultaneously with Baron von Munchausen. It reached $124 million.

TV was going strong. We launched Roger Rabbit’s Radical Revue, Alf Tales, and Max and the Wild Things on Saturday Mornings, all to great success. Duck, Duck, Goof spawned the spinoff Mickey in the City where Mickey Mouse moves to Big Cheese City and struggles with keeping a job, dating Minnie, and doing the right thing[8]. The Rescuers series was doing very well, so we followed up with a series of The Aristocats, which had a fun, jazzy soundtrack and a musical educational purpose and did OK. We also launched the new Muppet-based shows Mickey’s Clubhouse and Farmyard Follies[9].

Live TV was going great overall. We pushed a new Golden Girls spinoff Empty Nest. For Hyperion we launched the new Mel Brooks series The Nutt House with Harvey Korman and Chloris Leachman, first on NBC (where it did poorly) and then moved it to the Hyperion Channel, where it had a three-season run with a small but dedicated audience[10]. Hyperion TV was starting to become known as “NBC’s junkyard”, but we didn’t care. An underperforming show on Network TV was a breakout hit by basic cable standards, so why waste a good concept? I thought of it like sending the kid that couldn’t cut it in the Majors down to the Minors, and watching him become the home run king there.

We also launched Jim’s next big idea: Inner-Tube, a crazy variety show where we sent our guest stars inside the television for wacky adventures and variety content (the Betty White episode is legendary). It got nominated for a Best Variety Series Emmy, but had high costs and mixed ratings, so it died on the vine. One of those “ahead of its time” things. It’s best remembered today as the place where Tom Whedon’s son Joss cut his writing teeth. We’d relaunch it a decade later when the computer effects costs were far less, where it became a small hit.

But it was Broadway where I began to make my biggest mark. I got a call from my soon-to-be-fellow EGOTist Mel Brooks to talk The Nutt House, but then Broadway came up. We got to talking and soon he said “we should do a show. Maybe something based on Young Frankenstein or, better yet, The Producers.”

The Producers,” I said without hesitation. A Broadway show based on the movie about a Broadway show? It was either the most ingenious or the most idiotic idea ever. Either way, I was in.

Mel acted incredulous at first. “First you told me it had no legs, and now you want to make a musical about it,” he said to me.

“You’re still going to hold that one against me?” I told him.

“Absolutely,” he said. “So, which of us is Bialystok and which is Blum?”

“I’m the fat one,” I told him. “You figure it out.”

Anyway, we started it Off Broadway in ’88, but soon enough we grabbed a spot at the St. James theater when we got good reviews and started selling out. Mel wrote the script and the song lyrics and we got Menken to arrange and compose the music. We got Buddy Hackett and Ben Stiller to play Bialystok and Blum, the great Robert Preston as De Bris, young but talented Alec Baldwin as LSD[11], Werner Klemperer as the Nazi (naturally), and the fabulous (and gorgeous) Donna King for Ulla. We practically swept the Tonys in ’89, giving Mel his EGOT. It was going so well that I contacted Lord Lew Grade and he called up some colleagues and set us up on the West End with Michael Palin producing and the main characters now Londoners Barrymore and Brown. It did OK.

But that wasn’t the end of my burgeoning Broadway run. For decades Jim had wanted to do a Broadway showcase of his amazing experimental puppetry work: Big Boss Man, Limbo, and the rest. David Lazer and I had a surprise for him. We arranged a deal with the City of New York: a public-private partnership to restore the Palace Theater and in exchange the newly renovated theater would debut Muppetational!, a musical directed by the great Julie Taymor featuring a whole array of strange and wacky Muppet characters from the familiar (Kermit and the like) to the experimental, animatronic, digital, new, and bizarre.

I swear that Jim had a tear in his eye when we told him.

[1] EGOT = Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony, for those who don’t know the acronym.

[2] Fictional. Think of it as one of those genre-bending early ‘90s things; the type of band that has a Dobro, a sax, a sitar, a synth, an electric bass, and a 20-piece drum set.

[3] Which Bernie produced in our timeline.

[4] Went to Touchstone in our timeline where Eisner and Katzenberg continued to make it lighter and simpler, creating a breakout hit that critics hated but audiences loved. The book itself is more like Anthony Bourdin’s Kitchen Confidential in fictional format.

[5] Produced by James L. Brooks’ Gracie Films and distributed by 20th Century Fox in our timeline. Here Lisa Henson convinced Anne Spielberg to go to Bernie.

[6] In our timeline Gilliam went to Columbia, who tried and failed to constrain him to a $25 million budget. Reports say the film cost as much as $46.63 million, though Gilliam swears he spent only the $35 million he originally asked for. Furthermore, a change in leadership at Columbia (David Puttnam out, Dawn Steel in) led to a deliberate sabotage of the film by the new management. It received a very limited distribution and earned a mere $8 million. To quote Gilliam, “the problem was that David Puttnam got fired, and all these deals were oral deals. ... Columbia's new CEO, Dawn Steel, said ‘Whatever David Puttnam [has] said before doesn't interest me’”. Robin Williams said of this decision, “[Puttnam's] regime was leaving, the new one was going through this, and they said, ‘This was their movies, now let's do our movies!’ It was a bit like the new lion that comes in and kills all the cubs from the previous man.”

[7] Produced by Touchstone in our timeline.

[8] In our timeline Mickey increasingly became a flat corporate mascot throughout the ‘80s and ‘90s to the point where your average person, if asked what Mickey’s personality was like, would draw a blank. Jim and Roy are deliberately attempting to remind audiences why they love the Mouse. They are going for a sincere but slightly befuddled Everyman type, “a Frank Capra character”.

[9] The former is somewhat self-explanatory. The latter is a Vaudevillesque song-and-dance show with Muppet Farm Animals that teaches music and music history.

[10] Cancelled quickly in our timeline.

[11] A character from the movie cut from the 2001 show, I guess because hippies were too far out of public memory??? LSD (his initials) plays Hitler in the Show within a Show.

Last edited:
You can't help but smile when Bernie recollects on the good old days...

But aside from that, might I give specific mention to how the television divisions are holding up? I mean, wow. Cartoons based on The Aristocats, Where the Wild Things Are, and even ALF? Plus a genuine Roger Rabbit cartoon that looks like it could be the Saturday Morning equivalent to Siskel and Ebert? In addition to a couple new Henson-based works that would fit right at home in our timeline? AND Golden Girls still gets a spinoff ITTL? All this, plus a Mickey Mouse cartoon that hopes to, and probably will, do for him what the 2017 DuckTales reboot did for Webby and Della?

Honestly, you could make a whole new timeline, center it around fixing Saturday Mornings and weekday afternoons, and I'd still read each and every update!

Oh man, They Might Be Giants going with Hyperion Music rather than Elektra Records TTL? Well, if it hadn't been butterflied already, this straight-up butterflies the Tiny Toon music videos made for Istanbul and Particle Man (the OTL Cartoon Network songs to some degree too, though that depends if they are still with Hyperion by then)! Though it may be too much to wish for, maybe we'll see equivalent music videos be made by Disney TTL!

Otherwise, with Jim at Disney, TMBG being with Hyperion Music is a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.