Status
Not open for further replies.
MwC, or the TTL equivalent, is coming up tomorrow, actually. Buckle up, it's going to be crazy.
I've been on the Married...With Children Tvtropes.org trivia page, and, after seeing who could have been cast...yeah, that'll be interesting, methinks...

Here's a link for those who are interested: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/MarriedWithChildren

BTW, the original title was Not The Cosbys, as a shot at shows like The Cosby Show and other shows that showed middle-class families and, given what came out about Bill Cosby later...yeah...

BTW, the original title was Not The Cosbys, as a shot at shows like The Cosby Show and other shows that showed middle-class families and, given what came out about Bill Cosby later...yeah...
Wow. Is it any wonder why Married... was the first show to ever air on the Fox network, if you don't count The Late Show with Joan Rivers, and became one of the biggest shows the network ever had during its early years, with potshots as lame as that?

Worf at navigation, interesting, not being security or tactical will probable change how he explores his Klingon culture.
I always found it interesting that the Enterprise had Tactical and Security under the same officer, perhaps this could be addressed if Worf gets promoted to Yellowshirt. Maybe that's the trigger for his relationship with Yar, them initially butting heads over where the distinction between the jobs of Tactical (external threats) and Security (internal threats) gets fuzzy.
Robin Williams as a Q would be interesting, perhaps he's the "Big Q", sort of the Q equivalent of Wallace Shawn's Grand Negus...occasional cameos and hold on to your hat when he's there.
Oh man, watching De Lancie (I note the Khan didn't mention the actor so I assume that is unchanged) and Williams playing off each other would be a sight to see, even if it's never actually played for laughs (Williams can act terrifyingly cold and impersonal if he wants to). Then again, watching Q the Trickster getting played by his BiggerTrickster boss would also be a treat, perhaps an episode where Q gets temporarily depowered and must work with Picard to prove Q is both worthy of the power and that he's right to have a 'soft spot' for humans.

On the subject of actors, for whatever reason I really want a series (perhaps the hinted at Disney scifi offering) with Walter Koenig and Mark Hamil working together. It's just something that got into my head and stuck.

[5] Where’s Brent Spiner? Find out soon!
I have one of three guesses:

A) He's Al Bundy ITTL. You said the Married with Children post is next, it and TNG launched around the same time, it would stand to reason that Brent Spiner's still doing comedy...

B) Given how you didn't mention who was playing Q ITTL, I'm going to take a guess and assume it isn't John DeLancie...

Or C) This one is just a random shot in the dark: Given how we're currently in the ballpark of 1987 in the narrative, and I don't think you've decided to butterfly it, he's probably going to wind up involved with Quantum Leap to some effect. I mean, you have Freddy Kruger as Data, I would not be surprised if Bob Wheeler wound up getting involved with Sam Beckett.

Last edited:
Forgotten Sitcoms of the Late '80s
Five Great ‘80s SITCOMS that you Forgot Existed
From Five Alive! Netsite, posted November 14th, 2017

Ah, those classic ‘80s SITCOMS we all know and love: three cameras, canned laughter, and jokes that straddled the line between Clever and Corny! Shows like Cheers, Night Court, Perfect Strangers, Golden Girls, Production!, Alf, Newhart, The Facts of Life, Full House, Family Ties, The Cosby Show…legendary names and legendary shows. But what about those now-forgotten but once beloved shows? The ones that you may have forgotten that you used to love? Well, here are five of the great forgotten SITCOMS of the late 1980s!

#5 – Growing Pains

Growing_Pains_screenshot1.jpg

Growing Pains (1985-1989) is a show that was beloved by its cast, crew, and fans alike…for about three years. And then scandal after scandal and an increasingly hostile working environment ripped the show apart at the height of its popularity. The show followed father Dr. Jason Seaver (Alan Thicke), wife Maggie (Joanna Kerns), son Mike (Kirk Cameron), daughter Carol (Tracy Gold), and youngest son Ben (Jeremy Miller). In many ways it was your standard DOMCOM and was buoyed by good cast chemistry and the popularity of Cameron with young female audiences. But the fun was not to last. In 1988 actress Tracey Gold had gained some weight over the break. The writers made her weigh a source of constant jokes. Gold developed an eating disorder as a result was rushed to a hospital after passing out on the set in 1989[1]. She got counseling, but on the advice of her doctor quit the show and began the long road to recovery. The writers had the character “join the Peace Corps”. Actor Jeremy Miller started receiving creepy letters from a stalker and became increasingly withdrawn. The event reportedly contributed to his later substance abuse issues[2].

In the late ‘80s actor Kirk Cameron found fame, found influence, and found God, which is all well and good. We at Five Alive fully support a person following their own faith. Unfortunately for the sake of the show, his faith was such that he found the rest of the cast and crew wanting in the moral and spiritual sense and openly and constantly criticized the writers, the crew, and his fellow actors for their failure to live up to his increasingly exacting moral standards. Those who read science books or practiced other religions were greeted with contempt or threats of damnation. He revolted when Julie McCullough, a former Playboy model, joined the cast in ’89 and reportedly had her fired. And he used his Tiger Beat gravitas to force the writers and show runners to do things his way[3]. This all came to a head when he reportedly verbally attacked actor Alan Thicke for dating the 19 year old Kristy Swanson, then attacked him for being divorced, and, most critically, allegedly suggested that by extension Thicke’s sons were bastards, or at least that’s how Thicke interpreted it. Thicke gave the producers an ultimatum: Cameron or him. They chose Cameron and Thicke quit on the spot. Joanna Kerns followed him out the door. Miller took the opportunity to leave as well, hoping to escape the spotlight and the eyes of his stalker. A lot of the writers and crew left with them.

The producers tried to launch a new Cameron-helmed show Closer to Thee following Cameron’s character Mike Seaver going to divinity school, but the show tanked after a half a season, showing fairly good numbers in the Bible Belt but losing ground with families elsewhere. I guess the “Growing Pains” were too much for the show.

#4 – Police Squad!

Police_squad_in_colour.jpg

Police Squad! (1982, 1986-88) was a show ahead of its time, an absurdist slapstick from the team of Zucker Abrahams Zucker who brought you Airplane! and Top Secret! Starring once-dramatic actor Leslie Nielsen as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, the show was a nonstop set of absurd sight gags, puns, and wordplay jokes. I'd describe the show, but it defies description. You just have to see it! Despite lots of Emmy buzz, it lasted half a season in ’82 before getting cancelled for the obscene reason of “the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it”[4]. However, producer Paramount TV replayed the episodes on their new PFN channel, where they were successful enough to spawn two new seasons in 1986-88 and a film, The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad, in 1988, spawning a trilogy. Police Squad is celebrated today, even though it was largely ignored back in ’82. It is absolutely worth your time if you liked the popular films.

#3 – Wheelers and Dealers

night-court-bob-june-wheeler.jpg

The Wheelers on Night Court (Image source “imnotstalkingyou.wordpress.com”)

In 1986, Night Court was one of the highest rated shows on television, and two of its most popular recurring characters were the hard-luck Wheelers, husband Bob (Brent Spiner) and wife June Wheeler (Annie O'Donnell). The Wheelers inevitably ended up in front of Judge Harry with some amazingly bizarre set of bad luck circumstances that led them there. And show creator Reinhold Weege saw potential for a spinoff. Thus, Wheelers and Dealers (1987-1992) was born[5]. The Wheelers moved from New York City to suburban New Jersey where Bob launched a shady used car dealership in partnership with his old high school friend Remington “Rocky” Rogers (Chris Rock in his breakout role).

The comedy came from Bob’s mopey hard luck pessimism running smack into Rocky’s charismatic pie-in-the-sky hustle. Rocky, a self-styled “ladies man and master salesman” who was anything but in either respect, would hatch some insane scheme to “put Rocky Wheels Auto Sales on the map” or otherwise get rich quick. Inevitably, Rocky’s overconfidence would get the better of him or Bob’s disaster magnetism would strike, dooming things back to the perpetual status quo of always just squeaking by on the margins. Buoyed by good writing, Night Court cameos (Dan Fielding became a frequent “legal advisor” and “investor”), and a great chemistry between Spiner and Rock, the show was a successful follow-up to Night Court. While it never broke the Top Ten, it made five good seasons, helped launch Brent Spiner’s career as a character actor (you probably know him as “that guy who was in that movie”), and catapulted Chris Rock into the limelight. Wheelers and Dealers was a popular if largely forgotten ‘80s treat, and well worth finding on your direct viewing service.

#2 – Just Duckie

The_Duck_Factory_VHS_Cover.jpg

Effectively this, but actually played in order and backed by Disney Animation’s behind the scenes stories

In 1984 Mary Tyler Moore (MTM) Productions producer Allan Burns partnered with Buffalo Bill producer Jay Tarses and classic animator Herbert Klynn to produce a new show, tentatively titled “The Duck Factory”. Tarses was producing Buffalo Bill, which was a critical darling but struggling with audiences, and wanted a fallback. When NBC finally decided to pull the plug on Buffalo Bill, Hyperion TV Producer Bernie Brillstein moved the show to Disney’s Hyperion Channel, where it established a small but loyal following. Tarses and Burns and took their Duck Factory idea to Bernstein, who liked the idea, but wanted to add some verisimilitude by bringing in some actual Disney animators to share their crazy behind-the-scenes stories with the writers. After a bit of revamping, Just Duckie (1984-1988) was born. Comedian Jim Carey was cast as cartoonist Skip Tarkenton, a well-meaning but naïve young cartoonist thrown in the middle of the craziness of producing the animated “The Dippy Duck Show”. He faced bizarre coworkers Wally Wooster (Don Messick), cynical and lazy writer Marty Fenneman (Jay Tarses); old school animator Brooks Carmichael (Jack Gilford), young storyboard artist Roland Culp (Clarence Gilyard, Jr.), sarcastic editor Andrea Lewin (Nancy Lane), and cheapskate business manager Aggie Aylesworth (Julie Payne). Complicating matters was the fact that the studio was now owned by the Dippy Duck creator and original owner’s widow, Mrs. Sheree Winkler (Teresa Ganzel), a former topless ice dancer.

The show briefly replaced Buffalo Bill on NBC before getting moved to Hyperion itself, where it built a cult following. Carey’s strange, surreal mix of childish immaturity and childlike sincerity won him a following and likely launched his 1990s film career. To this day animators call it “a documentary disguised as a SITCOM”.

#1 – Honey, I’m Home!

Married_with_Children.jpg

More or less this, but with Sam Kinison and Rosanne Barr

When producers Michael Moye and Ron Leavitt watched TV in the 1980s, they saw nothing much to write home about. Chief among the targets of their ire was The Cosby Show, with its impossibly well-off upper-class family and easily resolved family conflicts. Where, they thought, were the “normal Americans?” They decided to remedy this with what they called, simply, “Not the Cosbys”. And they knew just who they wanted in the lead roles as the unhappily-married Al and Peggy Bundy: comedians Sam Kinison and Rosanne Barr. Honey, I’m Home! (1987-1991) was born[6].

The show was everything that your typical 1980s SITCOM was not: the interfamily conflicts were never solved. The husband and wife hated and disrespected each other but were codependently unable to divorce. The son was a pathetic loser. The teenage daughter was a slut. The family did not come together in a loving embrace at the end of each episode. Al’s job sucked. Peggy’s life as a housewife sucked. The neighbors were obnoxious Yuppies, not quirky oddballs. And Kinison and Barr’s mutual dislike for each other manifested in a beautifully acrimonious screen chemistry. The show’s misanthropic, deconstructive nature, lifted by the obnoxious comedy of Kinison and Barr, captured a huge audience share. Early success led the show runners to push, at Barr’s insistence, for deeper context and better writing and addressed real world issues of life for working class families. The show and cast were nominated for and even won Emmys.

But at the height of its popularity, Kinison and Barr, who frequently sparred on the set, quit to pursue their own projects. Kinison went on to produce his own SITCOM Sam (1992-1995) before the show’s increasingly overt misogyny and homophobia led to protests and cancellation. Kinison would, sadly, die of a drug overdose in 1997. Barr, meanwhile, turned to drama, where her dark comedy-tinged primetime drama Blue Collar (1992-1996), co-starring John Goodman in parallel to his breakout film career, would gain a good following and critical acclaim, netting many Emmys and Golden Globes over its short run. Barr’s attempts to break into film never quite paid off, though. Honey, I’m Home! represents an interesting time capsule of comedy in transition, capturing two comedians at the height of their fame. The show influenced scores of shows to come afterwards and is often credited with killing the “eighties SITCOM formula”.

And that brings our list to the end. What other forgotten ‘80s SITCOMS did we miss? Let us know in the Comments!

[1] The only thing that didn’t happen in our timeline is the “passed out and rushed to the hospital”. Otherwise yes, the writers contributed to her body image issues.

[2] Also true. This show was cursed!

[3] All allegedly happened in our timeline too. Cameron ultimately apologized to the rest of the cast for his “immaturity”, but not to McCullough, who has attacked him on social media, and with whom he still has never spoken. In our timeline Growing Pains continued on into the early ‘90s and is considered an ‘80s classic.

[4] As OTL. I can’t come up with a good butterfly to save it on its first run.

[5] Battered fedora tip to @nick_crenshaw82 for reminding me about this role. In our timeline the writers tried to integrate the characters into the regular cast by having them buy the news stand, but it went nowhere.

[6] In our timeline they missed getting Kinison and Barr and ended up with Ed O’Neill and Katey Sagal, and a long-running Classic was born. O’Neill and Sagal are talented enough that they will find alternate jobs, don’t worry.

You know who another choice for the role was? Michael Richards (Kramer on Seinfeld--who was cast on that show in part because Seinfeld's casting director had been Married...With Children's casting director); it would have been interesting to see him as Al Bundy, IMO...

Okay, I hate myself because one of my guesses for Brent Spiner was originally gonna be “He’s still Bob Wheeler”, but I decided against typing it because I thought to myself “Wait, Bob isn’t a frequent character on Night Court, he probably isn’t still there ITTL...”

well at least 2 good things came from this married with children.
roseanne barr's career seemed to go downhill after that, and ttl has been spared the 'joys' of roseanne (the tv-series)

Ah Police Squad - such as classic, esp the ‘freeze frame’ sight gag at the end.

The rest sounds like std 80’s stuff. Glad Spiner has a paying gig.

How’s Hill Street Bules going? @Geekhis Khan

The comedy came from Bob’s mopey hard luck pessimism running smack into Rocky’s charismatic pie-in-the-sky hustle.
I wonder if this will get somebody at Disney thinking about what will eventually be Goof Troop.

Rocky Wheels is a good name, I can see them with a Flintstone's car on the sign or maybe a good sized all terrain section.

Last edited:
I wonder if this will get somebody at Disney thinking about what will eventually be Goof Troop.
Or, barring that, perhaps a Jungle Book animated series that more closely resembles the movie? Just have it take place before the last few scenes of the film, and you could have the father-son dynamic of Goof Troop, the charm of both TaleSpin and Jungle Cubs rolled into one, and maybe even the music of Phineas and Ferb.

1989 is just around the corner. Just in time for TUGS and given Jim's relationship with the Thomas crew ITTL, I can only imagine that the series is going to make it beyond that 13 episodes mark this time.

Kirk Cameron used to be one of those people who could generate a lot of negative emotions from my friend group, we all grew up kind of liking him because of the character he played in the first few years of Growing Pains and then bam! he was in the celebrity mags doing all this crazy and mean-spirited stuff self righteously hurting people left right and centre (in the name of god) ... now he's just that guy who comes out with hilariously bad 'Christian' movies every couple of years.

In the late ‘80s actor Kirk Cameron found fame, found influence, and found God, which is all well and good.
After reading how Kirk Cameron became a born again Christian it kinda makes me wish he was more firm and confident in his atheism.

I honestly hope Kirk gets some humility from getting GP cancelled.

Wheeler sounds like its some fun, hilarious stuff. Can't wait to see how Spiner's career goes.

Just Duckie makes me think of a sitcom about working on one of the merchandise-driven action cartoons like He-Man, Transformers, GI Joe, or Thundercats. Maybe that could appear in this TL, come to think of it.

While I don't have any personal connection to Kinison, glad he survives here, if only by five years.

Last edited:
Just Duckie makes me think of a sitcom about working on one of the merchandise-driven action cartoons like He-Man, Transformers, GI Joe, or Thundercats. Maybe that could appear in this TL, come to think of it.
Well, since Disney did make a well-produced parody of those cartoons and the toys they were based on, albeit before buying the film and television rights to a good chunk of the headliners of the genre, I think that would be a great concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.