Some possible near deaths to consider:
Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988
Shall we start a dead pool?

...and no, not THAT one.

The one queen I have is who else was considered for the role Dr. Quinn if Jane Seymour dies.
I would suggest Kate Mulgrew. At the time of its premiere she was stuck doing made for tv movies and voice acting Saturday morning cartoons like The Cow Boys of Moo Mesa. Star Trek Voyager would not be for another year and a half, and depending on the shakeups at Paramount, could have severe butterflies.

Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988
can add lots more that could potentially die especially from the substance abusing ones.
ozzie osbourne for example

Frankly, given the drugs and alcohol he's done, I'm surprised Gary Busey is still around...

Along with Ozzy Osbourne (OTOH, I do still want him to do his song "Miracle Man" which was about Jimmy Swaggart's fall (Swaggart was one of Osbourne's strongest critics)--the day Swaggart got busted for having sex with prostitutes was probably one of the happiest days of Osbourne's life)...

Anyway, back to this update--thanks for having Jim Henson helping to save Judith Barsi and her mother from their horrible fate...
In this case what I'm describing is not exactly that, but is something that's, sadly, Industry Standard Practice from what I understand. While not as overtly predatory, it's equally manipulative and nearly as creepy. Essentially, unethical producers flatter the young actors and shower them with attention and adulation as a way to play to their developing egos and need for attention and is done in bad faith as a way to put a wedge between them and "overprotective parents" who may have an issue with the dialog, actions, outfits, or stunts that the studio wants the child actor to go along with. This is done as a way to manipulate the child into doing what the producers think is in the best financial interests of the studio, not the actor or their family or future. Education and mental well-being are ignored or downplayed. Naturally, the child actor often becomes addicted to the constant attention during these vulnerable formative years, and, once they grow up and get typecast as a "child actor", the studio kicks them to the curb, often estranged from their parents. Now cut off from their "supply" of constant false flattery, this leaves them vulnerable to self destructive behaviors like substance abuse, sex addiction, and criminal behavior. It's a leading cause of "Child Actor Syndrome" and it revolts me that this is allowed to continue in any studio.

From what I understand OTL Disney was unfortunately not above such manipulative behavior. OTL Jim Henson Productions and their CTW/Sesame partners, however, do things much differently, and I honestly believe that Jim would insist on reforming Disney rather than relax his own ethical standards.
Trust me, if Henson finds out about John K's...proclivities should Disney ever hire him, he will not be as lenient as other bosses were, believe me--and him adopting these policies to Disney is believable, IMO...

Last edited:
On a side note, here's my rough idea of the cast for Scream if it had been made in 1991:
Sidney Prescott: Jennifer Connelly (she was born in 1970, so she's close to teenage age, IMO)
Gale Weathers: Frances McDormand or Meg Tilly
Billy Loomis: River Phoenix (trust me, it'd be a nasty shock to see River Phoenix play this role, but he could pull it off--his brother Joaquin did it with Joker)
Tatum Riley: Tori Spelling (I did have Christina Applegate in mind originally, but I have her in mind for another role)
Stuart Macher: Corey Feldman
Dewey Riley: James Spader
Casey Becker: Christina Applegate (it's a change from her Kelly Bundy persona, IMO, which she spent her career trying to break free from)

Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988

4w0chb.jpg

Shall we start a dead pool?

...and no, not THAT one.

LOL, the vultures are circling.

For the record I don't see this as a zero-sum game where I have to take a life to keep a life, and I also don't plan to kill anyone "just to watch them die" (speaking of Johnny Cash). If/when anyone dies ITTL you can bet that there's an artistic reason for it.

In terms of saving celebrities, I like to put forward Freddie Mercury.

But given his lifestyle how could he avoid his fate? You might ask.

Well, in 1982 he had a HIV test that was negative, the fact he was concerned enough to get checked suggests he took the whole thing seriously. So extend that. Instead of just falling back into the arms of whomever, Freddie, perhaps at Mary Austin's suggestion gets his closest partners checked. Some of them turn out positive like Paul Penter, and Freddie comes to he realisation he has to stop the casual contacts- not necessarily the parties, just the sex n drugs. By 1985 he is with Jim Hutton "his husband" and keeping the love inside the relationship. Neither of them has AIDS.

A bit of a humorous idea for an in-universe Muppet skit: Kermit and the Electric Mayhem perform "Girlfriend is Better" by Talking Heads (the arrangement and sequence would be based on said song's performance in Stop Making Sense):

Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988
Ironically Jane Seymour dying might help the 1989 French Revolution movie/miniseries be successful, assuming Seymour finishing filming for her role as Marie Antionette (the film/miniseries took three years to film). It was rather good film but bombed in OTL.

I mean, usually actors or actresses dying before a film releases usually help films do better.

Mind you, I don’t know how big Jane Seymour’s career was in 1988.

Last edited:
A 1988 Godzilla anime feature film could have been kinda cool. Considering the connection between Toho and Studio Ghibli it could be a co-production between the two and Disney dubbing and disturbing it for American audiences.

Last edited:
Will Amblin Entertainment eventually become a subsidiary of Disney? What about DreamWorks? Maybe Jeffrey Katzenberg and Michael Eisner still have a falling out in 1994 and is hired by Disney to help run ITTL Pixar.

Will Amblin Entertainment eventually become a subsidiary of Disney? What about DreamWorks? Maybe Jeffrey Katzenberg and Michael Eisner still have a falling out in 1994 and is hired by Disney to help run ITTL Pixar.
That falling out happened OTL because Michael Eisner wouldn't give Jeffrey Katzenberg Frank Wells' old job after he died, so I don't see it happening (at least not for a while) ITTL unless there's different circumstances.

That falling out happened OTL because Michael Eisner wouldn't give Jeffrey Katzenberg Frank Wells' old job after he died, so I don't see it happening (at least not for a while) ITTL unless there's different circumstances.
We do still have about 7 years before DreamWorks is found OTL so anything is possible. Plus most/all of DreamWorks films are more often than not mistaken for Disney films so why not make it so ITTL. I also still like the idea of Jim Henson somehow getting Don Bluth back into the Disney fold, even if it's just through Amblin Entertainment.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if All Dogs go to Heaven still happens ITTL.
I don't see why not. Plus if we can get The Little Mermaid released earlier (or later) All Dogs may not have to against it. Maybe have Oliver & Company as a Muppets production (they do have enough dog muppets to do it).

Bond...James Bond
The New James Bond Speaks
Interview with Sam Neill from People Magazine, July 1987

He has a license to kill, a duty to Queen and Country, and an ultra-top-secret clearance, but this week James Bond – or actor Sam Neill[1] who plays him in The Living Daylights – sat down with People to talk about the film, which promises to “return James Bond to the original vision of Ian Fleming.” It was a decision not without controversy, particularly for many fans of his predecessor Roger Moore, who had performed the iconic role for over a decade. They were incensed by the replacement, which occurred following the underperformance of A View to a Kill in 1985.

james-bond-audition-sam-neill-930104.jpg

(Image source “express.co.uk”)

People Magazine: Mr. Neill, welcome, or should I say “Mr. Bond?”

Sam Neill: (laughs) Sam is fine.

PM: Martini? Shaken, not stirred?[2]

SN: (laughs) The tea will be fine, thank you.

PM: What is it like to play such an iconic role? Do you feel the weight of the character?

SN: Well, certainly. James Bond is, as you say, iconic, so there are loads of expectations placed upon you. You know that the fans will be watching every move, expression and mannerism. And as an actor you have to make a critical decision on how much of the previous portrayals you want to incorporate into your portrayal, and how much you want to make your own.

PM: It sounds like a balancing act.

SN: Oh, certainly. I took a lot of inspiration from Mr. Connery, of course, but I also spent a good deal of time reading the original novels and trying to discover the character that Ian Fleming created.

PM: And what did you discover about the character?

SN: Well, there was an internal vulnerability to him that was generally lost in film and a reluctance to keep doing these dangerous, dehumanizing missions. He buries himself in hedonistic activities as a defensive measure. Still, though, the pressure manifested in the desire to always be and look in control, no matter how out of control the situation was. And credit to director John Glen and Mr. Broccoli for allowing me the creative freedom to explore these angles.

PM: The plot of The Living Daylights is full of twists and turns[3] as Bond helps a KGB officer defect to the west, but he quickly finds that the story goes far deeper than that, with SMERSH assassins, gun runners, drug runners, possibly-rogue KGB agents, double crosses, heroic Afghan Mujahideen fighters[4], and a cello-playing love interest played by the gorgeous Maryam d’Abo. We won’t reveal the details here, but suffice it to say it’s got lots of action, quips, and the usual James Bond fun, but the story is notably darker and more ambiguous than the last few features in the series.

SN: Yes, the production team made a deliberate attempt to play down the humor and some might say “camp” of the last few instalments, but we didn’t want to skimp on the fun, of course. Maryam is delightful and we have a great cast with Jeroen Krabbé playing General [Georgi] Koskov, Joe Don Baker playing arms dealer Brad Whitaker, John Rhys-Davies as General [Leonid] Pushkin, Art Malik as Kamran Shah, and finally Dolph Lundgren[5] as [KGB assassin] Necross.

PM: And what was it like going toe-to-toe with Mr. Lundgren?

SN: (laughs) It’s pretty intimidating, frankly. He’s absolutely huge! A giant of a man. There are no camera tricks or lifts in his shoes, either. I remember hearing about how he nearly killed [Sylvester] Stallone when making Rocky IV and it was hard to put that out of my head during the fight scenes. With that said, he’s honestly a delightful man and incredibly intelligent. Did you know that he speaks six languages and has a degree in chemical engineering?

PM: We did not.

SN: It’s true. A wonderful man to talk to or watch a game of footie with…soccer to your American readers.

PM: And you had quite the workout to get in shape for the role, we hear.

SN: “Workout” is putting it mildly. Boot Camp comes to mind! There was weight training, calisthenics, gymnastics, and even obstacle courses. After a few intensive weeks I began to feel like James Bond in real life. Thankfully Dolph was there to keep me humble and grounded. One day after I’d been so proud of myself for reaching a new max in the bench press, up comes Dolph, who uses my bench-press weights to do curls! (laughs)

PM: By the time this interview sees print the film should be in theaters. Is there anything that you’d like your viewers to think about when they watch it?

SN: I’d say “give us a chance.” (laughs) It’s always hard to be the new face of an old, familiar character. I’ve spoken to both Roger Moore and George Lazenby and they assured me that there will always be fans who can’t let go of “the other guy”. This isn’t just about me, either, as we were left with little choice but to retire the memorable recurring antagonist General Gogol since [his actor] Walter Gotell had to retire for health reasons. Still, between John [Rhys-Davies] and Dolph [Lundgren] there are good villains aplenty. And the action scenes are top notch and were a blast to film.

PM: Now, other actors were in the running to play Bond. Our sources cite names like Pierce Brosnan of Remington Steele fame, Timothy Dalton, and Bryan Brown.

SN: Yes, and to be honest I do not believe that I was Cubby’s – Albert Broccoli’s – first choice. In fact, I dare say that if Pierce had been able to get out of his Remington Steele obligations, then he’d be the one sitting across from you today!

PM: But you convinced him?

SN: Well, (laughs) let’s say that Dana and Barbara [Broccoli] convinced him.

PM: As mentioned before, the film veers into some darker and more ambiguous territory than some of its predecessors, highlighting the gray areas with the actions of both the East and the West in the ongoing Cold War. To what do you credit this shift in tone?

SN: Well, these things go in cycles. I have nothing but respect for Mr. Moore, he is a delightful chap. The tone of the movies during his run was notably more humorous than that of Mr. Connery’s by design, as the audience’s expectations were shifting. Now the pendulum is swinging back to the grittier side of things. Perhaps the bloke that replaces me will be given a more comedic script to work with.

PM: And do you expect to stay on as Bond?

SN: If Cubby and the audiences let me, then yes. (laughs) I can’t say for sure how long I will portray the character. I have little desire to stay on as long as Roger [Moore], but perhaps they’ll give me a little bit more time than George [Lazenby].

PM: Thank you for your time, Mr. Sam Neill.

SN: The pleasure was mine!

The_Living_Daylights_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

Not quite this…

Sam Neill stars as Secret Agent 007, James Bond, in the new United Artists release The Living Daylights, in theaters across the nation today!

[1] You asked for Bond, you get Bond! And it’s “Dr. Alan Grant”! Neill auditioned in our timeline and was a favorite of director John Glen and Dana & Barbara Broccoli. Albert Broccoli was not able to be convinced in our timeline, however. Here is his screen test:

[2] For the record, shaken Martinis are an abomination good only for bruised booze and watered-down drinks (sorry, Mr. Bond). Stir briskly with a bar spoon for a count of 50 over cracked ice and strain. Yes, 50…I was skeptical when I heard it too, but tried it anyway. Try it yourself and thank me later. Also, to do a true per-the-book Bond cocktail you want to mix equal parts gin and vodka with a splash of lillet blanc (not Vermouth), “shaken” per the book, but I recommend stirred as per the previous instructions.

[3] The film will largely follow the beats of the film of the same name from our timeline, though Neill’s take will be compared somewhat favorably to Sean Connery, unlike Dalton, who got mixed reviews from critics and fans alike at the time for his dark and conflicted portrayal in our timeline (he was arguably way ahead of his time!). The film will, like the Dalton version, be a somewhat darker and less humorous take on the character and will ultimately perform on par with the version from our timeline, making just under $200 million worldwide. Neill will be a somewhat controversial pick with some fans considering him a “second rate Connery” while others are just happy with the return to Connery’s less campy take on the character after Moore. Moore fans, of course, treated the casting as a betrayal.

[4] Oh, 1980s, you and your temporal irony!

[5] Lundgren is “Reprising” his brief cameo from A View to a Kill (he was on set visiting his then-girlfriend Grace Jones and stood in for a sick actor. Here a certain lead role to be revealed soon did not go to him, so he took this job instead. He will be so popular in this role (most called him the only memorable villain) that he’ll become a recurring franchise villain reminiscent of Jaws from the ‘70s films (in this film he survives his “fatal fall” and most certainly does not plead for his life but falls to his apparent death “coldly staring at Bond”). There is no “killer Walkman”, just cold, unceasing murder. His character Necross is frequently compared to The Terminator for his cold, merciless inevitability. In our timeline the role went to Andreas Wisniewski.

Last edited:
Oooh interesting changes for our 007 there. I like how this The Living Daylights sounds - I had no particular like for Moore’s sillier films and like the OTL version. I’m sure Neill can do a fine job.

Is it still Aha doing the theme song?

Status
Not open for further replies.