Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my thinking; a long-running dramedy about an extinct species zoo doing extinct species zoo things (no mad science or catastrophic violent breakouts to ruin it) gets Disney both the educational and entertainment values it's looking for, and from the entire family.

I would be totally on board with such a series - and, if Disney interviews actual zookeepers for stories (or just looks at its own Animal Kingdom) I would honestly expect it to have a lot of sitcom elements to it too. A series about a zoo full of prehistoric animals and the often-eccentric people whose job it is to care for them. Like The Office set in Jurassic Park.

The reason for that is I have a lot of zoo books (look up Bill Naylor's Misadventures of a Zookeeper, Terry Boylan's The Keepers And The Kept, and Peter Brazaitis' You Belong In A Zoo!) and some of the stories mentioned belong in a sitcom - sometimes reality is too ridiculous.

In fact, I've written something akin to this on Fanfiction.net if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...so long as we're discussing series, why not have a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in this timeline? Granted, you'd need to convince Bill Watterson and figure out solutions to the personal issues preventing such (the big four being oversaturation of the IP, having to give the characters actual voices, answering the question of Hobbes being "real" or not, and Bill not wanting to give up his creative control). Heck, why not make it a throwback to the classic Peanuts specials of the 60s/70s in terms of writing and production values?

I would be totally on board with such a series - and, if Disney interviews actual zookeepers for stories (or just looks at its own Animal Kingdom) I would honestly expect it to have a lot of sitcom elements to it too. A series about a zoo full of prehistoric animals and the often-eccentric people whose job it is to care for them. Like The Office set in Jurassic Park.

The reason for that is I have a lot of zoo books (look up Bill Naylor's Misadventures of a Zookeeper, Terry Boylan's The Keepers And The Kept, and Peter Brazaitis' You Belong In A Zoo!) and some of the stories mentioned belong in a sitcom - sometimes reality is too ridiculous.

In fact, I've written something akin to this on Fanfiction.net if anyone wants to see it.
Tangentially relevant. Animals are awesome (at least most of them).

Hmmmm...so long as we're discussing series, why not have a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in this timeline? Granted, you'd need to convince Bill Watterson and figure out solutions to the personal issues preventing such (the big four being oversaturation of the IP, having to give the characters actual voices, answering the question of Hobbes being "real" or not, and Bill not wanting to give up his creative control). Heck, why not make it a throwback to the classic Peanuts specials of the 60s/70s in terms of writing and production values?
As cool as Calvin and Hobbes are I doubt you can convince Watterson. He had lots of offers with big numbers attached OTL and never took them.

Hopefully ITTL he simply does not stop and instead keeps going for a while longer.

Ditto Larsen and Far Side.

The premise of Prehistoric Park, of getting animals from just before their extinction and then studying them through long-term care lets you do so much with a limited number of animal assets. The running story lines of the park animals (like the lonely mammoth or horny Triceratops form OTL's show) and relatively large recurring cast lets you really let the audience get a feel for the animals, while letting the 'park staff' offer interviews and asides about the science without breaking the diegetic feel of the work.

I think a hypothetical prehistoric animal zoo series needn't be all serious - animals do funny things in zoos and the people who care for them are often eccentric. Read books like Bill Naylor's Misadventures of a Zookeeper, Terry Boylan's The Keepers And The Kept, and Peter Brazaitis' You Belong In A Zoo! and some of the stories and people mentioned belong in a sitcom - sometimes reality is too ridiculous.

I think a mockumentary format wouldn't really allow some of the... crazier stories and people to get the proper focus because zoo BTS shows don't really focus on that - they're very polished. Something like a workplace sitcom would better portray the craziness better - think The Office with dinosaurs.

I think a hypothetical series should portray the animals portrayed as characters, with personalities, arcs and bonds (both with the human characters and each other).

Tangentially relevant. Animals are awesome (at least most of them).
Yes, Reddit zoo worker stories too. However, I've read some of those stories and some of the things the animals get up to might not be appropriate for a family series...

Yes, Reddit zoo worker stories too. However, I've read some of those stories and some of the things the animals get up to might not be appropriate for a family series...
Heh, I don't think even Michael Bay would greenlight a dinosaur masturbation scene (... I hope).

Probably going to be stuff like raptors playing tetherball or something.

Heh, I don't think even Michael Bay would greenlight a dinosaur masturbation scene (... I hope).

Probably going to be stuff like raptors playing tetherball or something.

Believe it or not, Michael Bay is noted for his love of animals - he donated his bar mitzvah money to an animal shelter and offered a $50,000 reward for the arrest and successful prosecution of somebody who was seen throwing puppies in a river. Bay also donates money to elephant orphanages in Africa and has stated his desire to make a documentary film about elephant conservation.

As well as this, he also gave a Staffie that was in a rescue in my home town (Liverpool), who was called "the world's loneliest dog" a part in The Last Knight - and stated that, if she didn't find a home by the time filming was complete, he'd adopt her himself.

On an semi-related note, here's an idea I had for the early-to-mid-2000's.

In 1999, Henson watches Walking with Dinosaurs and Walking with Beasts - and really likes them. They'd probably be right up his alley. On his urging, Disney contacts the guy behind them, Tim Haines, and gives him an offer - Disney will co-produce, with BBC Films, a series of documentary films about prehistoric animals. Basically feature length Walking with... episodes.

Last edited:
Taking Responsibility
Chapter 16: Building a New, Small World
Excerpt from The King is Dead: The Walt Disney Company After Walt Disney, an Unauthorized History by Sue Donym and Arman N. Said

Hollywood is a fantasy land, and Disney a fantasy within a fantasy. And yet, reality inevitably finds a way into the picture. The world of children’s entertainment in particular can be an ugly world of callous use and even abuse. From Jackie Coogan’s watershed lawsuit against his own parents up to the present-day substance abuse scandals with former child actors, stories persist of the Hollywood money machine grinding up and spitting out even the most innocent. Other stories see behind-the-scenes drama that spills over onto the set.

MV5BZGJjZWVlY2UtZWI4ZS00NTU0LTlhNTctMDY5NTM1ODdkMmEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI0Mjg2NzE@._V1_.jpg

Judith Barsi 1987 (Image source “IMDB.com”)

Take the story of child actress Judith Barsi. She’d been a favorite of Steven Spielberg’s and in 1986 was providing voice work for The Land Before Time as Stryker, the “haughty” Styracosaur. The Land Before Time was the story of young, innocent herbivores attempting to escape from predatory carnivores. In a strange sort of meta-resonance, Judith Barsi was in danger from a predator in her own family. One day on the set while Jim Henson and Kermit were talking to her between takes, Henson started to realize that something was off with her. His years of working with kids had lent him a sense of perception with children that even the most seasoned Hollywood producers tended to lack. Over the course of the shoot, it became increasingly obvious that something was amiss. Henson, via Kermit, probed deeper. Barsi asked Kermit repeatedly about his relationship with Piggy, in particular the way that she always hit him. She confessed to Kermit that her daddy hit her and her mommy too.

“She was actually more worried about Kermit than she was about herself,” Henson said in a later interview, clearly still choked up by the event. “I seriously began to rethink the ‘Piggy karate-chops Kermit’ schtick after that.”

Henson brought in child psychologists and therapists, “friends of his and Kermit’s,” to talk to them both. Little by little, the story came out. It had been a long history of abuse. Her father József was an angry alcoholic who verbally threatened and physically abused her mother Maria and her. He had been arrested three times for driving while drunk and had repeatedly assaulted his wife and daughter and threatened suicide should his wife ever leave him. Maria was always on the verge of going to the police, but always hesitated[1].

One day when Judith’s mother Maria was on set (József was in prison for driving drunk at the time), producer Lisa Henson struck up a conversation. The conversations would continue over the course of the shoot. Maria eventually confessed to her that her husband was “drinking again” and was physically and verbally abusive to her and Judith. Lisa eventually convinced Maria to move into a room at the Villa Romana Hotel in Disneyland, which had 24-hour security and was “behind the gate”.

The security was needed. József would be arrested by security in late 1987 while attempting to break into the hotel. He had a pistol on him. Disney pressed full charges and, with his extensive arrest record, he was sent away to Folsom Prison for several years following a conviction on assault, assaulting a minor, trespassing, and breaking and entering with the intent to commit a felony.

Still, life wouldn’t be easy for Judith Barsi, who suffered serious post traumatic distress for years to come[2]. Jim Henson fought the Disney board of directors to put more money into a fund designed to assist child actors on the set of Disney productions, providing far beyond what the laws mandated. When the board hesitated, he offered to fund it out of pocket, which embarrassed the board so much with the potential negative press (“Disney CCO self-funds child actors’ care and education in the face of greedy board’) that they relented. As the Children’s Television Workshop had with Sesame Street, Henson’s designated agents established a core of child psychology and educational experts to assist underage actors. He brushed off complaints like “we’re not an educational company” by retorting, “Then we’re in the wrong line of work.”

“It was a basic moral responsibility to him,” said Roy E. Disney. “If we made money off of children, then we had a moral and ethical obligation to be ‘as positive of an influence on their lives as we could be.’ We had tutors and physical therapists to keep them on track educationally and physically, we had councilors and nurses on hand for their physical and mental health. We had nutritionists to assist catering. We even had resources and training available for the crew. And I personally saw Jim fire a producer on the spot when he caught him buttering up a kid actor with false flattery and playing to their ego behind their parents’ back. That was standard business practice in Hollywood at the time, but not for Jim and not for Disney.”

Over time, Disney child actors started to show significantly lower rates of mental, emotional, and legal troubles when they reached adulthood compared to other studios. There were significantly fewer cases of petty crime, substance abuse, and embarrassing tabloid photos.

“I swore to the board that I wouldn’t rest until not a single headline said ‘former Disney child star arrested,’ or ‘former Disney child actor found dead from overdose,’” said Jim Henson in an interview with Larry King[3]. “The so-called ‘Child Actor Syndrome’ was going to be other studios’ problem, not ours. I was and I still am very adamant about that.”

[1] She ultimately went to the police in December of 1986 in our timeline, but decided not to press charges when the Police were unable to find signs of physical abuse.

[2] I generally try to keep a light and hopeful tone in this timeline. My characters occasionally joke about trauma and Xanax and the like, but seriously, mental health should be taken as seriously as physical health. There’s no shame in taking SSRIs or other psychotherapeutics. I’ve taken them myself and I feel no shame in admitting that. No different than taking aspirin when you have a headache, in my opinion. Health is health; fuck stigmas, and fuck you if you help propagate them. If you’re having a hard time mentally or emotionally, consult with your primary care doctor, or any doctor, for that matter. Even your dentist or optometrist. They can refer you to someone who can help. In an emotional emergency, call a crisis hotline. Don’t try to go it alone. You wouldn’t try to treat a broken leg by yourself, would you? Furthermore, if you’re in an abusive relationship then there’s help to be had. A variety of abuse hotlines are available in whatever country that you’re in. Search engines will find you the closest one to you. If you know someone suffering abuse, talk to a professional on how you can help them help themselves. This isn’t some damned obligatory PSA, I’d dead serious here. Read what actually happened to Judith Barsi in real life here. It ain’t pretty, and it was, sadly, completely preventable. Don’t wait for things to “get better on their own”, because they won’t. I love you. Please take care of yourself.

[3] Requiem in pace to Larry King, who died just a few days ago from complications of COVID-19. Another light lost to this horrible pandemic.

Barsi will come up tomorrow, actually. It looks like O'Roarke's stenosis didn't have to be immediately fatal, so we can assume that she gets diagnosed and treated, but she's got a painful life ahead of her with her numerous congenital gastro issues.

And just to let everyone know, while one of the small joys of this TL for me it Putting Things Right which Once Went Wrong, I can't save everybody and I'd rather not turn this TL into Quantum Leap. I don't even look anything like Scott Bakula.
some things are just bound to happen, and especially things like O'roarke which probably was some pre-existing undiscovered issue.

no practising your "Oh boy" line then?

Last edited:
“It was a basic moral responsibility to him,” said Roy E. Disney. “If we made money off of children, then we had a moral and ethical obligation to be ‘as positive of an influence on their lives as we could be.’ We had tutors and physical therapists to keep them on track educationally and physically, we had councilors and nurses on hand for their physical and mental health. We had nutritionists to assist catering. We even had resources and training available for the crew. And I personally saw Jim fire a producer on the spot when he caught him buttering up a kid actor with false flattery and playing to their ego behind their parents’ back. That was standard business practice in Hollywood at the time, but not for Jim and not for Disney.”

@Geekhis Khan, I should point out that Henson was very, very right to fire that producer - because what he did is not just being a dick, but (possibly) child grooming. Please also mention that Henson looked into that producer's history for any more instances of inappropriate behaviour - and did that with any similar case.

Last edited:
This is why I really like Jim Henson and why he is awesome ITTL.

And OTL to. Miss you Mr Henson.

Thank you @Geekhis Khan for posting this one.
There are only two words that sum up this one.

Bad. Ass.
Well, thanks. I'd always intended to have a post like this describing the change in how underage actors were treated. I was originally going to talk about it with Lindsey Lohan and the like in the 1990s, but Judith Barsi let me launch that earlier.

some things are just bound to happen, and especially things like O'roarke which probably was some pre-existing undiscovered issue.

no practising your "Oh boy" line then?
Oh Boy...

TBH I'm really more like Al. I think that I was born a crusty old man.

Judith and Maria might move to O Canada. Leave bad memories behind and Judith can do voice roles in Toronto.
Quite possible, actually.

@Geekhis Khan, I should point out that Henson was very, very right to fire that producer - because what he did is not just being a dick, but (possibly) child grooming. Please also mention that Henson looked into that producer's history for any more instances of inappropriate behaviour - and did that with any similar case.
Yes, that is indeed a major concern and something that absolutely needs to be watched out for. It's sad how often organizations fail to recognize (or refuse to recognize) predatory behavior from their own staff. Far too often predators are allowed to continue their evil actions for years or decades with the implicit support-through-inaction of the organization's board of directors.

In this case what I'm describing is not exactly that, but is something that's, sadly, Industry Standard Practice from what I understand. While not as overtly predatory, it's equally manipulative and nearly as creepy. Essentially, unethical producers flatter the young actors and shower them with attention and adulation as a way to play to their developing egos and need for attention and is done in bad faith as a way to put a wedge between them and "overprotective parents" who may have an issue with the dialog, actions, outfits, or stunts that the studio wants the child actor to go along with. This is done as a way to manipulate the child into doing what the producers think is in the best financial interests of the studio, not the actor or their family or future. Education and mental well-being are ignored or downplayed. Naturally, the child actor often becomes addicted to the constant attention during these vulnerable formative years, and, once they grow up and get typecast as a "child actor", the studio kicks them to the curb, often estranged from their parents. Now cut off from their "supply" of constant false flattery, this leaves them vulnerable to self destructive behaviors like substance abuse, sex addiction, and criminal behavior. It's a leading cause of "Child Actor Syndrome" and it revolts me that this is allowed to continue in any studio.

From what I understand OTL Disney was unfortunately not above such manipulative behavior. OTL Jim Henson Productions and their CTW/Sesame partners, however, do things much differently, and I honestly believe that Jim would insist on reforming Disney rather than relax his own ethical standards.

Oh Boy...

TBH I'm really more like Al. I think that I was born a crusty old man.
some really are, and it can be very funny when you see an 8 yr old acting like that lol
talking about Quantum Leap, will it still exist, and what sort of butterflies?
it built very strongly on the interaction between the light (initially) attitude of scott bakula and the more cynical dean stockwell

Last edited:
“It was a basic moral responsibility to him,”
There's been a lot of little lines scattered through the posts that encapsulate everything I've loved about this timeline and this is one of them. Henson at Disney has been an amazing opportunity to see an industry colossus ground itself in the people that make the art, and thus make the success happen, rather than pursue some 'magic formula' that'll guarantee profit.

Health is health; fuck stigmas, and fuck you if you help propagate them.
Damn right. This whole post got you a tea-mug salute from me, just a hell of a fine piece of humanity.
Respect.

Some possible near deaths to consider:
Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988

Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988

4w0chb.jpg

Jane Seymour - 1988
Gary Busey - 1988
Burt Reynolds - 1988
Nikki Sixx - 1987
Johnny Cash - 1988
This timeline wouldn’t dare to butterfly away Cash’s cover of “Hurt”!

...right? please?

Status
Not open for further replies.