Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Nonetheless, neither Napoleon III nor Lord Palmerston accepted to hand the Confederate agents over to the American authorities, as Seward demanded, starting a saga that would have profound implications for international law regarding the nature of “legitimate” refuge.
Well, as the one who suggested this, I would say I am quite glad to see this be a thing.

Oh man
They actually threw cadets and children at a union army to stop it and still lost the valley to an incompetent general and a guy with one arm.

Nice to see Forrest no longer has a large command and leading the last remnants of his men. And become a joke now to union forces. As for Price.... Dear Zeus how can you be a fatass when your troops are literally starving and 20-40% are potentially unarmed. He should had been caught by union cavalry or torn apart by his own men.

The rest of the South is burning and the slaves are rising up against the masters. Its over slavery bros .... Sherman is marching and there nothing you can do to stop this lord of war.

Oh shit Sherman is not letting up, kicking so much ass and burning everything that the Confederacy trying to pass off their defeats as a good thing... Now they don't need to defend fixed points 😂

So the great Southern famine has began and they burning their own crops as well..... I Pity the poor but not the rich people.

The confederacy is on fire!
FfA59waacAAS26n.jpg

Very nice to see Uncle Billy still gets his March in this TL too. Just don't put him in charge of reconstruction or anything to do with Native Americans later.

South Carolina delenda est. Jackson and Johnstone's armies are between a rock and a hard place as its either going to be a slow death by desertions or a fast death by battle now.

Great to see Kearny.

What I'm looking forward to with Reconstruction is how different states develop a new political culture especially if a few states end up with a black supermajority and how they compare to more mixed states.

I will say longterm if this sets up the South and the country to be dominated by TTL Populists for a time, I bet the country gets a lot of good agricultural policy out of it but the bimetalism train eventually derails and get the Republicans back into power.

Last edited:
"There were Union men who wept with joyful tears, When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years; Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers, While We were marching through Georgia."

Seriously, Marching Through Georgia and Union Dixie was rocking in my head throughout the entire update on a loop.

Very cathartic.

Seriously, Marching Through Georgia and Union Dixie was rocking in my head throughout the entire update on a loop.

Very cathartic.
Especially with how South Carolina has fallen to the Union, or more accurately, had been liberated from the yoke of the Confederacy and their tyrannical regime.
"There were Union men who wept with joyful tears, When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years; Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers, While We were marching through Georgia."
This line in many ways encapsulated the experience of those people who had opposed secession and in the aftermath refused to submit to the authority of the Confederacy, either by keeping their head down but maintaining their allegiance to the Union in private or outright resisting the Confederacy.

Sherman is fascinating to me, albeit repulsively so. Setting aside all the bigotry, his view of war, how wars are most effectively won, and the consequences thereof are profoundly disquieting and frankly horrifying - but that's very different from saying he was incorrect.

And so the insanity begins of of sending Cadets so green they're just seedlings. It's like they say they are excited to fight and someone says "great, here's a gun."

Or, in Price's case, "great, you got two feet, come on." I wonder what exactly he expects them to do.

I'm reminded of lines in a Hogan's Heroes episode, I think it's the one where the British prisoner/ saboteur Newkirk has accidentally been sworn into the German army and he tries to make excuses. "Don't you want to look at my blood?" "Why are you bleeding?" "I could have some serious illness." "But, you meet the One requirement for a German soldier. You are breathing."

Ty Cobb was not as racist as some people portray him - not much more than southerners of his era anyway - from what research has shown, as pointed out at baseball-fever.com. "He didn't just hate black people, he hated people," as one Negro League star said later. (He did praise Jackie Robinson for instance.) But he is a good comparison with Sherman, the kind of guy who teammates found somewhat odious 1 with a nasty disposition but who was such a superstar that it was overlooked. And like Cobb, Sherman was willing to help, or at least not hinder, the cause of black people when it suited him. And you can imagine sharpening his spikes compared with Sherman's war tactics.

Last edited:
The Confederate Junta is so crazy that even the Kentuckians so 'No Thank You, We're out'

Also, love Kearny's ride. I always felt he got cheated in OTL by fate.

I'm always here for Robert Smalls content, but if he led the Black troops into Charleston, wouldn't he have already been a company-grade commissioned officer? At least a battlefield commission? That would still leave room for a well-deserved promotion to colonel.

Now that I think about it, with Alabama having been thoroughly conquered in mid-1864 vs 1865, there aren't that many safe havens for Toombs and other Confederate politicians to flee the United States. It'd be a flight more difficult than Breckinridge's or Davis' OTL escape (failed for the latter). Alternatively, Toombs might be shot down during his escape by a fellow Southerner furious for his policies.
Toombs dying ingloriously is probably the most fitting end to the Civil War here. No trial, no hanging or firing squad - either having him killed by fleeing/angry soldiers when they refuse to follow some suicidal order or if anyone getting whacked by Black Union troops specifically deserves it... well, a lot of them do, but he's towards the top of the pile at the moment.

Sherman's march was devastating, as expected, but feels like it naturally fits within the narrative given everything that's happened so far ITTL. In many respects, this world's events have been a vindication of his approach towards dealing with the rebellious areas. I do wonder what his post-war career will be like (obviously not willingly political, but one wonders if he'll be forced to play military governor or at least be threatened to be posted in places in the ex-CSA, or if he'll be assigned to deal with tribes out west like OTL).

Also: guest appearance by Kearny! I wondered when he'd show up again. Hard to do worse than getting shot after examining a battlefield so early on in the war. I too wonder what'll be up to if he manages to see the end of the conflict.

Regardless, the end is in sight, and hopefully that means the Union will be able to at least mitigate some of the worst effects of the coming winter and famine. A distant hope, especially given all the devastation we've had described, but hopefully the relief effort won't be too delayed...