Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Wasn't the polygamy backlash more due to them being Mormon then the actual polygamy?

I don't really think so - the Mormons had a whole lot of other reasons for people to dislike them even before they started getting into polygamy, but i don't think that people will be more accepting of it if they are not involved...

Last edited:
Anti-Mormons had a number of complaints (including Mormons slaughtering non-Mormon settlers), but the polygamy was the big one. The idea of a man taking multiple wives was entirely against the institution of marriage in their eyes. For reference, imagine a religious movement in the 1840s or beyond fully endorsing gay marriage.

If anything, attempts at polygamy by Confederate veterans may be pushed back against more virulently. I could see not just laws, but a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of two individuals (While this idea is far too meme-y for this timeline, I’ve seen a joke premise in which gay marriage is accidentally legalized in the 1870s due to such an amendment, though only ruled legal in the 1970s).

It is true that eventually the revolution will exhaust itself and we'll see a retreat from the activist state in certain respects. But a much deeper and radical revolutionary tide is bound to leave more lasting, profound changes that could not be rolled back. Think of how, for example, the situation after the collapse of Reconstruction, though terrible, was still never as bad as the Black Codes Southerners had once envisioned
Momentum has an entrenchment all on its own. If my African American countrymen have unrestricted suffrage and ability to enter state and federal bureaucracy for a period of say, ten years with at least semi-concentred support from the federal government, it'll be a lot tougher to de-integrate especially considering that white terrorists will be slapped down by not just the feds but also the black communities of the South

the entrenchment of a black political class is critical to Reconstruction, as by giving them real power they have the ability to defend themselves without the federal government

The question is this: a lot of America's reactionary attitudes are directly the result of America's racist shadow. If that racism is considerably less potent, could America abolish the death penalty, push abortion, and implement other ideas on the same time scale as European countries did with little push back? Or even if America is less hostile to black people, there would still be conservatism on other social issues?
My opinion? No. At the height of Radical Republican power, the Radical Republicans pushed the ultra-moralist Comstock Laws, banning abortion, birth control, and anything “obscene” and censoring the mail. The first ban on Chinese immigration, the one that restricted women, was also branded as a “moralist” reform. Prohibition gained traction post-Civil War with the earliest supporters as Radical Republicans. The most influential anti-racists of the day, including Frederick Douglass, were notorious social conservatives. Charles Sumner pushed the Christian Amendment, an attempt to revise the Constitution to officially acknowledge God and Christ.

These reforms are certainly possible, but they’d take a lot of political capital and sympathetic people in government, which the Republicans, even if they were willing, wouldn’t be able to afford after Reconstruction. Reformist city liberals, possibly in the form of a Labor Party or something similar to the New Deal Coalition, may be able to push these reforms, however.

This has probably been discussed already, but...I am really curious what an Episode of Checkmate Lincolnites from Atun-Shei Films would look like in this Timeline.

Well, for Starters, it probably wouldn't be called Checkmate Lincolnites. Personally, I would say that instead of the show being mostly about debunking the 'Lost Cause' Myth, Billy Yank and Johnny Reb would have a much more equal dialogue where they both correct misconceptions the other voices about both sides of the Civil War. Johnny is still espousing a more positive view of the South, but falls often into some traps similar to OTL and has to be pulled back into facts by Billy. However, while he is pro-South, he is much more openly and explicity Anti-Slavery and ESPECIALLY Anti-Planter Class than his OTL counterpart.

Basically, he's a (caricature of a) Breckinridge-ite, falling a bit for the Myth of him as the Hero of the Southern Poor who was never all that in favor of Slavery to begin with.

ITTL, they might actually much more openly agree on certain issues to an extent, like the Military Junta Coup...which Johnny of course LOATHES even more then he hates the Yankees, calling it 'the blackest of treacheries' and other such things and going off about the Planter class screwing the rest of the South over for the sake of their racism and greed.

I really think this could make for an interesting Omake. I might write an Episode of it on the Sequel, if I am allowed to.

Last edited:
This has probably been discussed already, but...I am really curious what an Episode of Checkmate Lincolnites from Atun-Shei Films would look like in this Timeline.

Well, for Startes, it probably wouldn't be called Checkmate Lincolnites. Personally, I would say that instead of the show being mostly about debunking the 'Lost Cause' Myth, Billy Yank and Johnny Reb would have a much more equal dialogue where they both correct misconceptions the other voices about both sides of the Civil War. Johnny is still espousing a more positive view of the South, but falls often into some traps similar to OTL and has to be pulled back into facts by Billy. However, while he is pro-South, he is much more openly and explicity Anti-Slavery and ESPECIALLY Anti-Planter Class than his OTL counterpart.

Basically, he's a (caricature of a) Breckinridge-ite, falling a bit for the Myth of him as the Hero of the Southern Poor who was never all that in favor of Slavery to begin with.

ITTL, they might actually much more openly agree on certain issues to an extent, like the Military Junta Coup...which Johnny of course LOATHES even more then he hates the Yankees, calling it 'the blackest of treacheries' and other such things and going off about the Planter class screwing the rest of the South over for the sake of their racism and greed.

I really think this could make for an interesting Omake. I might write an Episode of it on the Sequel, if I am allowed to.
Disregarding the obvious well-over-a-century-worth of butterflies, I totally would agree with you on this.

One final thing on policy downstream of southern demographics: there’s probably an increase in tolerance of female homosexuality and FtM transgender people. If there’s a shortage of marriageable white men, you’re going to see a significant amount of FF households. This is in addition to probable increased tolerance of polygamy whether formal or informal. There would probably also be a temporary reversal of age gaps in marriage.

Evidence from Paraguay suggests a rise in female educational attainment and labor force participation. On the other hand there also seems to be an increase in out of wedlock births. All three of these effects continue passed the point where gender ratios have returned to normal.

In terms of the strength of effects, I think support for women’s suffrage > female labor force participation > age gap > women’s educational attainment > FF households > out of wedlock births > tolerance of polygamy
Ehhhhh... I don't see this as a permanent change but as a temporary oddity, similar to how the supposed legalization of polygamy in Paraguay hasn't resulted in Paraguay being a bastion of poly relationships or Queer rights. I could see young girls marrying with old men because they are the only ones that aren't mangled physically or psychologically due to the war, and indeed greater female liberation. An amusing potential trope would be: "my grand-grandaunt lived with her girlfriend her entire life but it was just because there weren't any good men in the South after the war, you see? ...Oh my God, they were roommates."

The question is this: a lot of America's reactionary attitudes are directly the result of America's racist shadow. If that racism is considerably less potent, could America abolish the death penalty, push abortion, and implement other ideas on the same time scale as European countries did with little push back? Or even if America is less hostile to black people, there would still be conservatism on other social issues?

So in a more destructive civil war, would the TTL Republicans be more willing to embrace black civil rights in terms of trying to build a more cohesive national identity to prevent the violence of the TTL Civil War from coming back?
The removal of a large mass of Black workers from the body politic and the placement of the South, with all its Senate and House seats, under the rule of a reactionary elite of landowners did pull the nation significantly to the right and prevented progress in many realms. At the end of the day, Southern planters shared the economic and political concerns of other landowning classes throughout the world, and this oversized influenced held the US back in many regards. This can only result in a more progressive, so to speak European, US - but much down the line.

And... I'm sorry, but have you read the TL? Because Republicans being willing to embrace civil rights and the use of force to defend them is, like, the whole point. It's what I've been building to all this time.

American slang term derived from Italian and popular in mob movies that means 'understand?' or 'I understand' depending in the context
It just struck me as something weird to say. Or type, as it were.

Oh nice! That’s good to know then atleast.

Might I also ask what happened to these gentlemen?

- Benjamin Tillman
- Alcibiades DeBlanc
- Isham G. Harris
- Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar
- And Richard Coke

Nice stuff!

Good stuff.

So freaking based. I approve. 👍👍
Thanks for your comments :D

Tillman: He's been mentioned before, and while it's true that him dying is conceivable I think I'll use him later.
DeBlanc: Since he had served as a State legislator before the war, he's not eligible for a pardon and he's effectively disenfranchised. But given how he rose only to the rank of colonel and was never a rebel leader he probably got away with no penalties. I'll also use him later.
Harris: Having been a Confederate Governor he'd face execution if caught, so his OTL exile has just become permanent.
Lamar: Probably exiled. Having been a Fire-Eater and a secessionist, plus most likely a supporter of the Junta, there wouldn't be any way he'd get a pardon. But he isn't prominent enough to be executed, so probably exiled.
Coke: As a delegate to the secession convention, he'd also be disenfranchised, but given how he did not occupy any high office during the war he probably could get a pardon.

Take into account that political disenfranchisement for these men is permanent. The pardon only would shield them from confiscation or prosecution. Most importantly, if someone who received a pardon engages in further treason, their penalties are higher. In other words, if any of those who did get a pardon then become terrorists, they will get the noose.

If you have any questions about Brazil or its relationship with Argentina in the late 19th century feel totally free to ask me. I'm not a historian by any means, but I do think I have some good knowledge :)
That's very kind, thank you.

My intent wasn't to make the comparison, but I realize now that I did, and I'm sorry.
That's alright, let's just move on.

While that's completely fair, and I don't want nor expect your focus on Reconstruction to be derailed (I swear I wasn't trying to do that, it was just my stream of consciousness), I do think that it's something you're gonna have to focus on. The Transcontinental Railroad bill/law, along with the homestead act, was an extremely important piece of legislation, and railroads were extraordinarily important for the American economy overall, and even more so for the Great Plains and West/Mountain West. If you were doing a post-WW2 America timeline, you couldn't not talk at least a little about the rising importance of cars, the increasing investment in county, state, and federal highways, and, of course, the Interstate Highway System (assuming Eisenhower still gets elected and all that). As for tipping, my understanding is that tipping (at least for wait staff and the like, no idea for positions like Porters) rose to prominence in the 1920s or 1930s, so you're both right and wrong.
I mean, yeah, of course I'll have to discuss railroads, but only from the broad picture. Like I'll talk about how the expansion of rail changes the dynamics of the economy in the mountainous South or the Reconstruction regimes' desire to expand Southern railroads. I just won't talk about specific lines or companies, much less get into the inner politics of every company as you did with the Pullmans.

Maybe, but I think it's worth noting that a formal essay is a far cry from a "popular history book." While certainly not creative writing per se, a good, engaging non-fiction book still has a certain prose, and some sort of narrative. I haven't had/taken the time to read some of the American Civil War history books you've been drawing from and (doing a quite good job of!) imitating, but if this is like them, I think it's fair to say that they also have a narrative, or an arc. A Civil War book that starts in the late antebellum, setting the stage, then has the war's many scenes and acts, from comedy to tragedy, which is another way of saying that we go over what happened and why, or our (/the author's) best guess of why, and how that affected what happened next. I can certainly try to do that, but I know enough about railroads to know that there are holes so big in my knowledge that you could make a double-track tunnel out of them, it's extremely hard for me to keep a narrow focus, and I honestly get more satisfaction from sharing what I know and seeing someone else use that new information in whatever they were writing. I reserve the right to change my mind, however.
Of course, if you ever do decide to write anything I'd be glad to see you share it. If it doesn't go against anything I've written or my future plans, I'd threadmark it and make it canon.

Anti-Mormons had a number of complaints (including Mormons slaughtering non-Mormon settlers), but the polygamy was the big one. The idea of a man taking multiple wives was entirely against the institution of marriage in their eyes. For reference, imagine a religious movement in the 1840s or beyond fully endorsing gay marriage.

If anything, attempts at polygamy by Confederate veterans may be pushed back against more virulently. I could see not just laws, but a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of two individuals (While this idea is far too meme-y for this timeline, I’ve seen a joke premise in which gay marriage is accidentally legalized in the 1870s due to such an amendment, though only ruled legal in the 1970s).
Maybe not an amendment but I could see such a thing being included in future civil rights bills.

Momentum has an entrenchment all on its own. If my African American countrymen have unrestricted suffrage and ability to enter state and federal bureaucracy for a period of say, ten years with at least semi-concentred support from the federal government, it'll be a lot tougher to de-integrate especially considering that white terrorists will be slapped down by not just the feds but also the black communities of the South

the entrenchment of a black political class is critical to Reconstruction, as by giving them real power they have the ability to defend themselves without the federal government
Exactly! Let's remember that it took the Southern reactionaries almost 30 years to truly destroy Jim Crow and the changes brought by Reconstruction. A much stronger Black community and more interventionist Federal government will mean that, even with the tide receding eventually, things will never get too bad and Black rights will remain.

My opinion? No. At the height of Radical Republican power, the Radical Republicans pushed the ultra-moralist Comstock Laws, banning abortion, birth control, and anything “obscene” and censoring the mail. The first ban on Chinese immigration, the one that restricted women, was also branded as a “moralist” reform. Prohibition gained traction post-Civil War with the earliest supporters as Radical Republicans. The most influential anti-racists of the day, including Frederick Douglass, were notorious social conservatives. Charles Sumner pushed the Christian Amendment, an attempt to revise the Constitution to officially acknowledge God and Christ.

These reforms are certainly possible, but they’d take a lot of political capital and sympathetic people in government, which the Republicans, even if they were willing, wouldn’t be able to afford after Reconstruction. Reformist city liberals, possibly in the form of a Labor Party or something similar to the New Deal Coalition, may be able to push these reforms, however.
Yeah, a lot of people tend to forget that just because Republicans were progressive in regards to slavery and race relationships (comparatively), it doesn't mean they were all around progressive in all areas. At its core, Radical Republicanism was a form of "political puritanism" that identified several evils in society and believed that the government had a role in ending those evils and enforcing good morals. There's a reason why most Republican constituencies tended to support all kind of reform movements, not just abolitionism - they were in favor of temperance, nativism, women's rights, etc. They also had a fundamentally religious viewpoint. Slavery was bad because it was a sin, and as such it should be destroyed. But there were other sins Republicans saw in society, which they also believed they should destroy. Ultimately, Radical Republicanism will run its course and we'll see new Reform movements more interested in something closer to our view of progressivism.

Well, for Starters, it probably wouldn't be called Checkmate Lincolnites. Personally, I would say that instead of the show being mostly about debunking the 'Lost Cause' Myth, Billy Yank and Johnny Reb would have a much more equal dialogue where they both correct misconceptions the other voices about both sides of the Civil War. Johnny is still espousing a more positive view of the South, but falls often into some traps similar to OTL and has to be pulled back into facts by Billy. However, while he is pro-South, he is much more openly and explicity Anti-Slavery and ESPECIALLY Anti-Planter Class than his OTL counterpart.

Yeah, I think you're basically spot on. I could see episodes like "Was Breckinridge a GOOD Confederate?" where Johnny insists that Breckinridge was not in favor of war crimes and tried to stop them, and Billy points out that many awful war crimes took place under Breckinridge, that he never did much to stop them, and that even those who'd later join the Junta were not punished by him (i.e. ITTL Jackson massacred Black soldiers at Harpers Ferry yet was never punished in any way). Another topic would be "Was the October Coup supported by the people of the Confederacy?" where Johnny tries to portray it as a movement from the elite than most Southerners resented only to have Billy point out that he coup was initially popular, especially among the soldiers.

Please if you want to write something, do it! I believe anyone being inspired by this to create something themselves is the highest compliment possible! I'd say, however, that it'd be more fitting to post it here, since it'd presumably deal with the war (Atun-Shei, the real one, doesn't seem terribly interested in Reconstruction).

Disregarding the obvious well-over-a-century-worth of butterflies, I totally would agree with you on this.
No, Atun-Shei is an universal constant that trascends time and butterflies.

The removal of a large mass of Black workers from the body politic and the placement of the South, with all its Senate and House seats, under the rule of a reactionary elite of landowners did pull the nation significantly to the right and prevented progress in many realms. At the end of the day, Southern planters shared the economic and political concerns of other landowning classes throughout the world, and this oversized influenced held the US back in many regards. This can only result in a more progressive, so to speak European, US - but much down the line.

And... I'm sorry, but have you read the TL? Because Republicans being willing to embrace civil rights and the use of force to defend them is, like, the whole point. It's what I've been building to all this time.

Yes, I have read the TL. But OTL American history makes me a little pessimistic.

Yes, I have read the TL. But OTL American history makes me a little pessimistic.
That's fair, I suppose. But as I've tried to explain the dreadful strain of anti-Black racism that permeated US politics for so long and still does to a degree was neither inevitable nor something inherent to the character of White Americans. Otherwise, why attempt Reconstruction at all? When you research the Reconstruction era what's most striking is the sense of hope that permeates the Republican project. They assert equality for Black people, their worth and success, condemn prejudice, and fully believe that they can remake the nation. They genuinely tried, passing bills and amendments to enshrine equality before the law, Black suffrage, and Federal power to defend civil rights. They even passed laws forbidding discriminations in hotels, threaters, restaurants, and transport - legislation the likes of which the US would not see for a century. The collapse of Reconstruction ultimately reinforced the racism that was already there, and as I said it had a self-reinforcing effect. This meant that racism in the US just became stronger, deeper, and more widespread in the decades after the Civil War. There's a reason it's called the "nadir" - because it hadn't been as bad before, in the inmediate aftermath of emancipation. And it stands to reason that a more successful Reconstruction can only further weaken racism.

(Atun-Shei, the real one, doesn't seem terribly interested in Reconstruction).
Eh, he DID mention Reconstruction, and especially the Effects it's failures had, more than once on the show. Especially in the Episode on how the Lost Cause Myth came to be.

But yes, he never really went into reconstruction itself.

Eh, he DID mention Reconstruction, and especially the Effects it's failures had, more than once on the show. Especially in the Episode on how the Lost Cause Myth came to be.

But yes, he never really went into reconstruction itself.
Meaning that... I was right since he has never dedícated a full episode to Reconstruction as such.

Good thing Lincoln survived ITTL. IOTL Lincoln stepmother reportedly had an instinct that his visit before going to DC will be the last. Thankfully this timelines Lincoln would be able to spend some time with her mother. I wonder how was her reaction hearing Lincoln beating his assassin though?

Bonus: Fun-facts and alternate scenarios
So, the new thread and its first update are now ready! Please go to https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/reconstruction-the-second-american-revolution.551503/ to read it! I hope you all like it and will continue supporting me on this new project!

As a bit of the promised bonus content, here I shall offer some "fun facts," so to speak, about this TL, alternate scenarios, and ideas I toyed with. Think of it as a making off of the TL.

How did this TL come to be?
I decided to start writing this Timeline after finishing reading Eric Foner's Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution. An excellent book, which I heartily recommend to anyone interested in the era. What strikes one the most is how Foner defends Reconstruction as a truly revolutionary project of biracial democracy, the fight for it as difficult but brave and idealistic, and its failure as a disaster. It left me with a profound sense of lost. The failure of Reconstruction forced Black Americans into almost one hundred years of subordination to White violence and oppression. The US had had this bright opportunity to become a truly egalitarian nation, yet it had failed. So, I was inspired to write a scenario where Reconstruction was successful.

If the objective was always a successful Reconstruction, why is this a Civil War TL?
Initially, I planned on a simple "Lincoln lives" TL. But I soon decided that this was simply not enough. Lincoln was a great man, the American I admire the most. But he was not omnipotent. Even with him, a successful Reconstruction would be a difficult if not impossible challenge as things stood in OTL April 1865. I decided I needed a far more radical war, one where the North had decided to destroy the South instead of embracing them as wayward brothers. The original plans was for a quick, more radical war and then onto Reconstruction. Five years later, and we're just starting now. But I do not regret it. While the project grew much bigger than I could have expected or hoped, it did result in a very detailed account of a more radical Civil War. I take special pride on the focus I've given to Black agency, social issues, and the politics of the era, compared with other TLs that have a mostly military focus. I believe, altogether, this TL has been a success, and that it sets us for a better Reconstruction, as we'll explore in the next thread.

Were there any alternate PODs?
Indeed! At first I wanted to have Lincoln win against Douglas in 1858. Then I decided that was too little time, and went back to the 1854 election. I was not sure how to make Lincoln win that election. IOTL he came very close, but ultimately the "Anti-Nebraska" Democrats that held the balance wanted one of their own, Lyman Trumbull. So... I decided to get rid of Trumbull by having him be murdered. With this Lincoln would get to the Senate earlier and he could begin to "grow."

Were there any alternate ideas for a TL?
At some point I had the crazy idea of a TL were Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis swap their childhood homes, with Lincoln growing up in the South and Davis in the North. I quickly discarded it because although a Southern Lincoln would have been interesting I don't know where that would have taken me. Like, at all.

Were there any discarded ideas for the TL?
Several!
  • I did not decide who would be the President of the Confederacy until the hour to choose one came. I even considered just sticking with Davis, but was not content with that, because I felt it was too boring. I wanted changes - I read and write alternate history to see variations on history, not OTL rehashed. But I wanted someone competent, and all other candidates seemed like a collection of arrogant lunatics. You know your slate is bad when Jefferson Davis seems like the best man for the job, but the bar was underground with candidates like Alexander "We can win this war without a draft" Stevens. So... I looked through other threads on AH.com for alternate Confederate Presidents. One man always stood up - John C. Breckinridge. I'll admit, I did not know much about him at first. This is also why he's curiously absent from most early updates before the war. Ironic, for he's arguably the second most important character of the TL only after Lincoln himself, and due to his fate he'll cast a long shadow over Reconstruction. You can guess, too, that the idea of a coup was not there yet.
  • The original drafts had Kentucky seceding from the Union too, but I was afraid I had made things too difficult for the Union and also realized I had no idea how a military campaign in Kentucky would play out.
  • At some point, there was the idea of a North Carolina campaign that would see Burnside invade it from the sea, facing James Longstreet. In fact, I wanted to go farther and have Longstreet as a sort of commander in chief for the Confederacy given how he struck me as one of the least insane Confederates. I discarded both ideas at implausible.
  • At one point, as well, I wanted to foster a conflict between Grant and Rosecrans, who'd basically play the part of McClernand, after reading that both men really did not like each other. Yet, I've got to confess, I have a soft spot for Rosecrans. So I instead sent him to Texas for that campaign, which I'll admit I wrote because the ideas was amusing, and moved the idea of the conflict to Thomas and Schoffield, who I dislike. I mean, the man sabotaged Reconstruction in Virginia, allied with Andrew Johnson, and characterized Republicans as "worthless radicals."
  • There were plans for another Federal defeat between Hooker at Manassas and the victory at Union Mills. But I thought maybe that would be pushing Northerners within the story too far, and would frustrate my readers too much. At the end, however, some did express that Lee had gotten "victory disease" too easily and soon and that he was just acting like an out of character idiot. Can't have your cake and eat it too... For the same reasons, Thomas' Battle of Lexington was initially more of a draw, but I rewrote it into a clearer victory.
  • On that note, original drafts for Union Mills had the victory be partly a result of Jackson being exhausted, but I downplayed that angle after some expressed worries that this moment, which I always conceived of as a pivotal one, seemed a result of the rebels bungling rather than the Federals outplaying them. The idea for a battle where Black men proved their heroism and worth had always been there, however, as well as it happening at the same time as larger and bloodier Draft Riots for maximum contrast.
  • It's around this time that the idea of a coup first formed, in order to get a dead-ender government after I realized that Breckinridge, who turned out to be a fascinating character, would simply not countenance war to the bitter end. He didn't IOTL either, for that matter, seeking to use his position as Secretary of War to conclude a negotiated peace. So, I pondered, what could be done here? As President, Breckinridge would conclude a peace on his own power. Obviously, him doing this successfully would be against my objectives. And then everything fit perfectly. A military coup would be the best outcome for my objectives, the themes of the story, and Reconstruction. So, who was to lead it? The initial option was a triumvirate of Jackson, Johnston, and Beauregard, with Jackson as the "big bad," so to speak. There would be many comments about how Jackson now expected the same sacrifices out of his people that he did out of his soldiers. But I realized that the timid Jackson did not have the mettle of a dictator. Neither was he ideologically committed enough. So I settled on another fascinating figure, in a repulsive way, Toombs, who basically became the ideal "villain" for my story as a firm believer in slavery as an ideology.
  • This is why I spent a long of time setting up Jackson, for example with his conflict with Longstreet, while Toombs is curiously absent except for a few quotes. But I believe this ended up working well for the story. Likewise, you can see further foreshadowing in how much Beauregard is alienated by the events of Fort Saratoga, and the whole embroglio between Johnston and Longstreet, Cleburne, and Cheatham. Some did identify all this foreshadowing and realized Breckinridge would not be in power at the end, and some even wondered whether there would be a coup. But ultimately the coup was both surprising and in hindsight evident, which I believe marks it as a well-executed twist.
  • As for the other twist of the story, the attempted assassination of Lincoln actually resulted from my desire to get rid of Reynolds rather than for other reasons. I really liked Reynolds, he was a good choice and I think I did him justice by having him win the most important battle of this Civil War. But I ultimately wished for Grant to take the reins of the Union war effort, because I truly think he was the only man with the strategic vision to win the war. And because I'm his fanboy, of course. But I didn't want Reynolds to suffer a catastrophic defeat, and I thought just having him die would be anti-climatic. Remembering how some of John Wilkes Booth's feverish plans called for murdering Grant too, I solved it by having him try to murder Lincoln here, getting Reynolds and Lyon. I must admit I was quite pleased that some did believe for a moment that I was actually going to kill Lincoln.
Any alternate ideas for writing styles or similar?
For a time I really wanted to finish the TL with exactly fifty chapters but it didn't work out. Chapters just kept getting longer and longer as I included more detail, which I was loath to delete. I came to regard this level of detail as one of the TL's main strengths and believed that to not delve deeply into political and social history would make for a much weaker timeline.

There were also plans for many more mini-updates, but I found that writing them is just as difficult as writing a full-on update since I still have to research for them. And, believe me, I love writing this TL, but it's not easy. I have to open and search many PDFs and articles and editing and writing can be challenging. So the idea of the mini-updates as breaks between the main ones just didn't work out. Instead I started writing these prose vignettes, and I believe they did ultimately contribute to making a better story by offering POVs of civilians and all other "little people" submerged in this radical Civil War. My favorite remains "The Year of Jubilee Comes to Maryland," which I believe turned out well despite my own doubts regarding my prose.

There was, also, a scrapped vignette that would have seen an embittered Democratic and racist soldier deciding to vote for Lincoln after meeting a freedwoman who was able to hold onto her child only thanks to Emancipation. It was supposed to be something of a "Christmas" special, but I didn't know how to convey the story without delving into melodrama, and after the New Years it felt like the opportunity had passed. There was also to be a vignette about the Jacquerie but fortunately @Ranger Ridiculous made an excellent one already, covering the same points I wanted to cover.

How did you choose the titles for each chapter?
I took them from quotes, books, or even the titles of chapters in the books I've read for research.

1. Lincoln and Liberty: The campaign song.
2. The Monstrous Injustice: How Lincoln refered to slavery in a speech.
3. Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men: The Fremont slogan, plus the title of one of Eric Foner's books.
4. The Crime Against Kansas: The title of Charles Sumner's speech, plus a chapter in Battle Cry of Freedom.
5. A House Divided: The famous Lincoln speech.
6. The Slavocrat Giant He Slew: Line from Lincoln and Liberty.
7. John Brown's Last Raid: Believe or not... a Victoria 2 event.
8. His Soul is Marching One: From John Brown's Body.
9: Hurrah for the Choice of the Nation: From Lincoln and Liberty.
10. The Revolution of 1860: A chapter in Battle Cry of Freedom.
11. The Counterrevolution of 1861: A chapter in Battle Cry of Freedom. I found the dichotomy too good not to use.
12. The Southern Rebellion: Not from a quote, but kind of obvious.
13. Down with the Traitors, Up with the Stars: From the song Battle Cry of Freedom.
14. Dark and Bloody Ground: From a lyric in the Kentucky Battle Song.
15. We're Coming Father Abraham!: From the song of the same name.
16: The Call of the Loyal, True and Brave: An adaptation from the lyric of Battle Cry of Freedom: "we will welcome to our numbers the loyal, true, and brave."
17. The War at the Courts and at the Sea: A... kind of lackluster title I made because I had no idea what to title the chapter. This one is slatted for being fused with another in the final edition anyway.
18. From the Mississippi's Winding Stream: From We're Coming Father Abraham
19: And roll on the Liberty Ball!: From the Liberty Ball, sung to the same tune as Lincoln and Liberty and often fused into a single song.
20: The River War: Also kind of a placeholder title for a chapter that's slated to be fused.
21: No Terms except Unconditional Surrender: Grant's famous quote.
22: All Quiet Along the Susquehanna: Of course, a reference to All Quiet along the Potomac.
23: We'll finish the Temple of Freedom: From The Liberty Ball.
24: A People's Contest: From a chapter in Donald's biography of Lincoln.
25: Like Patriots of Old We'll Fight: From the Bonnie Blue Flag.
26: We must free the slaves or be ourselves subdued: Lincoln quote, plus a chapter in Battle Cry.
27: The Wounded and the Dying of Corinth's Hill: From a song about Shiloh, just replacing it with Corinth.
28: As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free: From Battle Hymn of the Republic.
29: The Year of Jubilee: From the song, but also what actual enslaved people called the coming of emancipation.
30: We're marching on to Richmond: Union Army song.
31: We're foes unto wrong and oppression: From the Liberty Ball. Not commonly sung.
32. Oft we've conquered and we'll conquer oft again: From the Southern version of the Battle Cry of Freedom.
33. They have laid down their lives on the bloody battlefield: From the Southern version of the Battle Cry of Freedom.
34: We'll fight till our banner's victorious: From Lincoln and Liberty.
35. Terrible Swift Sword: From Battle Hymn of the Republic
36: Fire in the Rear: Lincoln quote, plus a chapter in Battle Cry.
37: Tried by War and Decided by Victory: Lincoln quote, and also the title of one of James McPherson's books.
38: The Great Task Remaining Before Us: Lincoln quote, from the Gettysburg Address.
39: Hard Times in Dixie: Union song.
40. Until that Key is in Our Pocket: Lincoln quote.
41: The Trumpet that Shall Never Call Retreat: Battle Hymn of the Republic.
42. And Down with the Power of the Despot: Lincoln and Liberty.
43: When This Cruel War is Over: Union song, also known as Weeping, Sad and Lonely. Also the title of a chapter in Battle Cry.
44: The Greatest Question of Practical Statesmanship: A simplified Lincoln quote. The original is "the greatest question ever presented to Practical Statesmanship."
45: So with You My Grace Shall Deal: Battle Hymn of the Republic
46: If God Wills that It Continue: Lincoln quote, from the Second Inaugural.
47: Not A Man Shall be A Slave: The song Battle Cry of Freedom.
48: Yes We'll Rally Round the Flag: The song Battle Cry of Freedom.
49: If It Takes Three Years More: Lincoln quote, which in turn referenced the more famous Grant quote of "if it takes all summer."
50: Strike While Ye May, Soldiers of Freedom: Simplified lyric from John Brown's Body. Originally "Ye soldiers of Freedom, then strike while strike ye may."
51: After Four Years of Failure: From the Democratic Plank in 1864, and also a chapter in Battle Cry.
52: They Will Think It's Gabriel's Horn: From the Marching Song of the First Arkansas Negro Regiment.
53: We're Going to be Wiped off the Earth: Mary Chesnut quote, plus a chapter in Battle Cry.
54: This Has Been a Magnificient Epic: Breckinridge quote, both ITTL and OTL.
55: It Must be Now that the Kingdom's Coming: From the Year of Jubilo, Union song.
56: Hurrah! We Bring the Flag that Makes You Free!: Simplified lyric from Marching through Georgia. Originally "Hurrah! Hurrah! We Bring the Jubilee! Hurrah! Hurrah! The Flag that Makes You Free!"
57: The Liberty Hosts Are Advancing: From Lincoln and Liberty. Also not commonly sung.
58: Shall Be Paid by Another Drawn With the Sword: From Lincoln's second inaugural.

You'll note the great debt of gratitude owed to McPherson's book, which both sparked my interest in this era of American history and inspired this TL, which I consciously structured around the same lines and style. You'll also note that some chapters do have a theme - those dealing with radical politics tend to use Lincoln and Liberty lyrics for example.

Well, I hope all these facts are of interest to any of you! As I mentioned previously, this thread will remain open for any contributions you might want to make (you're welcome to do so!) and for further discussion and bonus content about this TL. Part 2 and its associated discussion will naturally move to the new thread. I hope you will all enjoy it too and accompany me on that new journey.

Last edited:
How did you choose the titles for each chapter?
I took them from quotes, books, or even the titles of chapters in the books I've read for research
One of the smaller (but still amazing bits) of this TL is how wonderfully evocative and poetic the chapter names are. It highlights in general how *authentic* this timeline feels to the time period. Not only have you created a compelling narrative of a more transformative ACW, you've captured the essence of 19th century American prose- all the more impressive coming from a non-native speaker.

Bravo, and I'm looking forwards to the next chapter of this radically changed United States!

Awesome job! It's fun to see the development of the timeline. Truthfully, I never thought that Lee had Victory disease too fast because it wasn't just gettysburg, it was his invasion of Maryland in 1862 that shows he was very aggressive at times. The 1863 when is attributed to Victory disease, however, because it comes on the heels of such a blundering Union defeat.

There are a lot of fascinating characters in the American Civil war. I am really looking forward to the second timeline of this great doubleheader.

Curious...

The ending chapters of the Civil War Saga depicts a number of unbreakable Slaver advocates fleeing the defeated CSA, many of them with burning hatred for the victorious North.

What are the chances of these escaping holdouts going the way of Belka in the world of Strangereal (from the "Ace Combat" series)? Would Stephens and Beauregard, and Planter Ladies like Mary Chestnut and Gertrude Thomas, or perhaps their descendants, work their way to influence in the foreign nations they have evacuated to, and perhaps instill in these national patsies a desire to war with the US in the future? Would these Lost Causers form their own Council of Grey Men, to foment global conflicts that would sweep up America for destruction, all in the name of their hateful vengeance?

"My people scattered around the globe, living in the shadows of other countries. We had a new purpose... to breed wars."― Dr. Schroeder

Feasibility check of a shadowy Confederate-worshipping Cabal dedicated to destroying the United States by engineering World Wars and superweapons to wage those wars with?

Last edited: