Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

So, I discovered Derek Warfield, and one of his songs inspired me to write another one-shot. Here's the song in question. I also wrote this as a partial apology for how long I'm taking to write, and just say that it's due to college. In the meantime, these short stories and mini-updates should hopefully be enough to entertain you all and show the effects of this bloody war.

Relevant portion (likely misgendering, FYI):

If he lived his entire life as a man, yeah, I'd say it's likely the article is actually talking about a transman. Again, I don't know if any women or LGBTQ folks are following this TL, but I'll add this information to be as inclusive as possible. Thank you.

This is without a doubt the longest and most well developed Civil War alternate history timeline clocking in at 176 pages with chapters and user posts. Not to mention 293 pages of content and growing when published as a book.

It makes me so happy that you hold this TL in such high regard, and I appreciate it immensely that you took the time to say so. Thank you very much.

And we're only mid-Civil War.

For the record, I've calculated that there are around 15 full-size chapters left before the war is over. Then Reconstruction should take 40 chapters at least.

I have a distinct memory of hearing somewhere about women making mini-balls, though unfortunately I can't recall where.

I'll see if I can find anything and include it. Thank you.

Ahahaha this is great! I still prefer the more well known diss track version of Dixie, but this is also smooth grooves.

On another note, I wonder what nonsense TTL's Leeaboos will sprout. "If Breckinridge hadn't ordered Beauregard to make a suicidal attack across the Potomac, he could have taken Washington again!1!" might be among them. While I'm sure Washington was too heavily garrisoned to take anyway, the order to take down Doubleday probably came at the worst possible time. Hard to avert given the Fog of War, but I wonder how the campaign would have continued if Beauregard had received no further orders from Richmond.

I'm guessing whatever forces are in Washington will stall Breckinridge just long enough for Double to come up and whip his ass.

I'm sure our Union boys are eager to go to Baltimore and make the secession traitors roar.

I can definitely see the Leeaboos claiming that the defeat was all Breckinridge's fault. Beauregard here had the double duty of distracting Reynolds (he refused to take the bait) and take artillery back to Lee, who was running dangerously low on it. Had he succeeded, Lee would have been in a better position to throw Reynolds back. Of course, he would have to take Baltimore anyway out of political reasons, but that only feeds the "Breckinridge the meddling idiot" idea.

Speaking of music, I wonder what the effects might be of Stephen Foster avoiding his death in 1864. He cut his neck in a fall when he was weakened from a fever, so it's not crazy for it to be butterflown away. He was 37 when he died and his father and brother lived to 75 and 80 respectively, so he's likely to have a few extra decades barring random factors. I'd like to think that with enough extra time he'd eventually decide that there isn't exactly a right way of doing minstral songs, not even for a well-meaning abolitionist.

Yeah, that sounds easy to butterfly. If I were a more capable writer for poetry and songs, I would try to write new Foster songs. It's true that the minstrel style makes some uncomfortable, but many of them are rather good. Perhaps old man Foster becomes more famous for other, future songs and the minstrel style he employed comes to be seen as an old shame. Kind of, "did you know that Foster wrote songs in a racist style?"

Side-story: "A Pennsylvania Mother"
A Pennsylvania Mother

“My boy is coming from the war,”
“He’s coming home to me,”
“O! how I long to see his face,”
And hear his voice of glee.
Of all the days that ever dawned
This is the brightest day,
For sad and lonely was my heart
When Harry went away.

Chorus:
My boy is coming from the war
He’s coming home to me,
O! how I long to see his face,
And hear his voice of glee.

My boy is coming from the war,
I’ve waited for him long,
I miss the music of his laugh,
His light and happy song;
But now I’ll clasp him in my arms
And ever by my side,
He’ll linger while my life glides on
To quiet eventide.

Chorus

-My Boy is Coming from the War

“My boy is coming from the war!”, said an exuberant Mary. Her joy was easily matched, but not surpassed, by the other mothers in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It was a miraculous transformation, really. Just a few weeks ago, their village was submersed under the most painful anxiety. Though they were protected by the Susquehanna, the people were afraid that the rebels would reach them and burn their city. Or worse. As a result, the entire Lancaster was whipped into a frenzy.

Or what remained, anyway. Two years of bloody war meant that only women, children and the elderly remained in Lancaster. Mary could not see even a single young man in the crowds that gathered. They could be proud that the majority of their men proved to be brave, joining voluntarily to fight for the Union. Of those who remained, most had been drafted. Only a handful had refused to fight and had skedaddled. They better not show again, Mary thought grimly, for the crowd could easily turn into a mob if faced with cowardly traitors.

Fortunately, no one interrupted the celebrations. Union flags and colors waved everywhere, and stirring melodies resounded. Once every few minutes, it seemed, a cheerful cry of “Hurrah for Reynolds! Hurrah for Old Abe Lincoln!” sounded forth. They were then rejoined with hurrahs for “Doubleday and his darkies” and shouts of “Down with the traitors!”. For Mary, a veteran abolitionist, the role of the Black man in the victory had been important, and Lancasterians seemed to agree.

They were Radicals, and proud of that. They had gone for Lincoln, even though the traitor Buchanan was from there, and counted Thad Stevens as one of their sons. And now they could add the greatest general of the Union. Mary’s voice was now hoarse from the frequent cheers, but she didn’t mind. Besides, she was not only cheering the victory, but the fact that her boy was coming from the war. Her sweet David, who had gallantly whipped the rebels at Union Mills, had enlisted as soon as the President called for loyal men to crush the rebellion. His term had not expired, and he planned to reenlist when it did, but he had obtained a furlough and was going to use it to come home.

Even a couple of weeks with David would be enough to soothe her aching heart. His dad, her husband, had already given up his life for the Union. Father and son had fought together, but only one had fallen at the Peninsula. That dark day, Mary remembered, only somber faces and the sound of weeping were present in Lancaster. The next day McClellan had been burned in effigy and mobs clamored for the blood of traitors, but Mary could not remember for she spent the entire day crying for the fallen.

It was only her and David now. She was almost tempted to ask him to return to her side, but she understood it was his duty. Even if she had tried to convince him, she knew it was futile. News of the rebels and their barbarity had made her son a true warrior, a worthy successor to John Brown. He would not stop, he claimed, until Johnny Breck and Bobby Lee were hanged. When news came that the traitor Lee was moving north, David was decided to do everything to defend his state. His last letter was just before the victory, saying that he would come home from the war if they were victories. They were, and now several Lancaster boys were coming from the bloody battlefield.

The celebrations at Lancaster were only sullied by some sad faces, that tended to stay indoors while the rest took part in the jubilee. Some casualty lists had arrived, bearing the names of boys that had paid the last full measure of devotion. Daniel Rawlins, the sandy-haired son of kind Ann who liked to play soldiers with David, had died fighting Stonewall. Alexander Evans had perished earlier, when his arm was amputated only for pneumonia to claim him. Old James and Nelly Evans were inconsolable, and had not come out of their house in days. And poor Johnny Simpson had shared the glory of Union Mills only to fall at Gettysburg, and now his widower father was all alone.

The bringer of the grim news had made it clear that the lists were incomplete. The bloodbath had been so through, and confusion so widespread, that the Union was still compiling the lists. Yet more hearts would be broken, but Mary was sure the Almighty had spared David. Out of consideration, she abstained from expressing her joy that her boy was coming from the war. So, she shouted only for Reynolds and victory, though inside her happiness at David’s return was overwhelming. Oh, how long had she wished to see his face, to hear his laugh, to have him with her and leave aside sorrow and loneliness if even for a few days.

The days passed. Celebrations died down, but joy remained. Bill Warnock had returned to his wife and two daughters, and many tears were shared as the father kissed his girls for the first time in two years. Harry Cooper had also returned, though he was now missing a leg. Yet, even if he had to limp instead of run to hug his parents, the welcome was just as sentimental. David had no returned yet, but Mary waited. She heard as yet more soldier boys came from the war, with lightsome steps and the sound of marshal drums. David should, must, come soon, Mary convinced herself. And when he did, she should clasp him in her arms and weep with joy.

More days passed. Mary remained seated at her lonely and dark table. There was a piece of dry and hard cornbread there. It was David’s favorite food, and she had made some for him. No more boys had returned in a few days, yet she refused to give up hope. That’s when a knock sounded at the door. Her spirits rose, but it was a messenger. She shook her head, dreading the message. She heard his polite greeting, followed by a heartfelt apology. Her heart seemed to skip a beat then. The man then informed her that David had gloriously died at Union Mills. He said something more, but she heard nothing. She could only think of how her boy was not coming from the war, but was lying dead in the bloody battlefield.

The mother fondly said,
While on the gory battle plain
Her boy was lying dead!
His comrades came with lightsome steps
And sound of martial drums,
But now that Mother sadly waits
For one who’ll never come!

Chorus:
The mother fondly said,
While on the gory battle plain
Her boy was lying dead!

Ficboy

Banned
So, I discovered Derek Warfield, and one of his songs inspired me to write another one-shot. Here's the song in question. I also wrote this as a partial apology for how long I'm taking to write, and just say that it's due to college. In the meantime, these short stories and mini-updates should hopefully be enough to entertain you all and show the effects of this bloody war.

If he lived his entire life as a man, yeah, I'd say it's likely the article is actually talking about a transman. Again, I don't know if any women or LGBTQ folks are following this TL, but I'll add this information to be as inclusive as possible. Thank you.

It makes me so happy that you hold this TL in such high regard, and I appreciate it immensely that you took the time to say so. Thank you very much.

For the record, I've calculated that there are around 15 full-size chapters left before the war is over. Then Reconstruction should take 40 chapters at least.

I'll see if I can find anything and include it. Thank you.

I'm sure our Union boys are eager to go to Baltimore and make the secession traitors roar.

I can definitely see the Leeaboos claiming that the defeat was all Breckinridge's fault. Beauregard here had the double duty of distracting Reynolds (he refused to take the bait) and take artillery back to Lee, who was running dangerously low on it. Had he succeeded, Lee would have been in a better position to throw Reynolds back. Of course, he would have to take Baltimore anyway out of political reasons, but that only feeds the "Breckinridge the meddling idiot" idea.

Yeah, that sounds easy to butterfly. If I were a more capable writer for poetry and songs, I would try to write new Foster songs. It's true that the minstrel style makes some uncomfortable, but many of them are rather good. Perhaps old man Foster becomes more famous for other, future songs and the minstrel style he employed comes to be seen as an old shame. Kind of, "did you know that Foster wrote songs in a racist style?"
As far as what Confederate victory would have looked like in Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid my guess is that the Baltimore Campaign goes the other way coupled with more successful offensives in Kentucky and Missouri. Kentucky would join the Confederacy in whole but not Missouri and Maryland as they would be divided into two.

Speaking of which, there is timeline called A More Perfect Union by @HeX which is about Thomas Jefferson's anti-slavery passage in the Declaration of Independence staying as is and having broader consequences such as Alexander Hamilton being President, slavery being abolished early, more massive immigration to the United States, a Civil Rights Movement led by Frederick Douglass and Nat Turner (here a convert to Islam) and Otto von Bismarck and Winston Church immigrating to the United States. There's a Civil War but somehow John C. Fremont is able to imprison every secessionist legislator of Virginia and has it stay in the Union despite Kentucky and Missouri being part of the Confederacy. In my opinion, it's unrealistic for a Union general to imprison secessionist legislators of a Southern state not even OTL's Civil War had it. Realistically, Fremont is more likely to march to Maryland imprison all secessionist legislators given the white residents hostile reactions towards the Baltimore Independence March even then it would resemble the Pratt Street riots than AMPU Virginia. If I were HeX, I would have Virginia secede and join the Confederacy but Kentucky and Missouri stay in the Union of sorts albeit hotly contested between the two. Same goes for Alexander Hamilton I would have him die in the early to mid 1840s to better reflect the lifespans of each Founding Fathers rather than somehow live up until 100 years old in 1855.

Last edited:
Always happy to help! You've got a great timeline going! :)

Ficboy

Banned
@Red_Galiray, anyway the only other Alternate History Discussion Civil War timeline that is as long as yours is Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond by @EnglishCanuck which is about the Trent Affair between Britain and America leading to a war between the two and the former intervening on the side of the Confederacy. It's 61 pages long and has hundreds of posts not to mention 67 chapters and more.

Just read the new mini-update, and man, it's great. My heart broke a little for poor Mary and all the others who lost family in the war. Let's hope the Union is victorious soon:pensive:.

@Red_Galiray , instead of having Stanton be elected and tutor Grant (on account that he would probably still die in 1869), what about having OTL Secretary of the Treasury and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Salmon Portland Chase run and win in 1868 and have Grant as either his running mate or serve in a cabinet position?

on account that he would probably still die in 1869

We've talked about this before. Stanton's death is very much up in the air.

His deteriorating health was at least due in very large part to the stresses of the Johnson administration. Depending on how the post-war goes, I'm more than sure that Stanton could get at least a year or 4.

This war is more stressful right now, though. So it could be a toss-up.The Presidency is, too.

Garfield was already in elected office nad left to serve in the war, he looks like an even better candidate, but we'll see. There are 15 more ful updates, he said, till the end of the war. So I think anything beyond that point is really just speculation.

Of course, given how sports fans love to predict before the season who will win a championship, it's also totally understandble. :)

@Red_Galiray, anyway the only other Alternate History Discussion Civil War timeline that is as long as yours is Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond by @EnglishCanuck which is about the Trent Affair between Britain and America leading to a war between the two and the former intervening on the side of the Confederacy. It's 61 pages long and has hundreds of posts not to mention 67 chapters and more.

Not that word count or number of chapters is anything like the measure of good work on this site, but I think you'll find that the 125 chapter America, The New Sparta is up there as well.

Moreover, there's plenty of long Civil War timelines on this site. I've counted pages, or chapters when there's threadmarks. From the odious Americawank of Burnished Rows of Steel (150 pages,) to Union and Liberty (152 pages. Not technically a civil war timeline, but very much the same wheelhouse,) Heart of Dixie (57 pages,) Dixieland: The Country of Tomorrow (100 chapters.)

The longest I can find is Mac Gregor's The Union Forever at 363 pages.

Anyway, you can click at random on the 'Before 1900' page and chances are you'll find someone blathering on about the American Civil War for too damn long. The mark of this timeline isn't the quantity, it's the quality: that @Red_Galiray has managed to keep the narrative cohesive, the arcs contained, and the focus on the human is what's worth celebrating.

As far as what Confederate victory would have looked like in Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid my guess is that the Baltimore Campaign goes the other way coupled with more successful offensives in Kentucky and Missouri. Kentucky would join the Confederacy in whole but not Missouri and Maryland as they would be divided into two.

You know, I have considered adding alternate scenarios to the TL as extras. My ideas included an early Confederate victory, just like the one you described, a Confederate victory in Pennsylvania, Buchanan dying and Breckinridge becoming President of the US instead, etc.

Always happy to help! You've got a great timeline going! :)

Thanks!

Just read the new mini-update, and man, it's great. My heart broke a little for poor Mary and all the others who lost family in the war. Let's hope the Union is victorious soon:pensive:.

I'm glad you enjoyed this. Such suffering is too common, especially ITTL.

@Red_Galiray , instead of having Stanton be elected and tutor Grant (on account that he would probably still die in 1869), what about having OTL Secretary of the Treasury and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Salmon Portland Chase run and win in 1868 and have Grant as either his running mate or serve in a cabinet position?

We've talked about this before. Stanton's death is very much up in the air.

His deteriorating health was at least due in very large part to the stresses of the Johnson administration. Depending on how the post-war goes, I'm more than sure that Stanton could get at least a year or 4.

Eh, I kind of don't trust Chase. He returned to the Democratic Party awfully quick, though it seems it's a result of political ambition. More than anything, I simply don't think he's the right man for the job. Also, I do think Stanton could last slightly longer, but as @DTF955Baseballfan points out this was is more traumatic and stressful than OTL so he may not. I'm leaving the possibility open.

This war is more stressful right now, though. So it could be a toss-up.The Presidency is, too.

Garfield was already in elected office nad left to serve in the war, he looks like an even better candidate, but we'll see. There are 15 more ful updates, he said, till the end of the war. So I think anything beyond that point is really just speculation.

Of course, given how sports fans love to predict before the season who will win a championship, it's also totally understandble. :)

Garfield is definitely one candidate.

Anyway, you can click at random on the 'Before 1900' page and chances are you'll find someone blathering on about the American Civil War for too damn long. The mark of this timeline isn't the quantity, it's the quality: that @Red_Galiray has managed to keep the narrative cohesive, the arcs contained, and the focus on the human is what's worth celebrating.

I really appreciate that you took the time to say this. I'm glad you enjoy the TL and thank you for your kind words.

Ficboy

Banned
You know, I have considered adding alternate scenarios to the TL as extras. My ideas included an early Confederate victory, just like the one you described, a Confederate victory in Pennsylvania, Buchanan dying and Breckinridge becoming President of the US instead, etc.

Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed this. Such suffering is too common, especially ITTL.

Eh, I kind of don't trust Chase. He returned to the Democratic Party awfully quick, though it seems it's a result of political ambition. More than anything, I simply don't think he's the right man for the job. Also, I do think Stanton could last slightly longer, but as @DTF955Baseballfan points out this was is more traumatic and stressful than OTL so he may not. I'm leaving the possibility open.

Garfield is definitely one candidate.

I really appreciate that you took the time to say this. I'm glad you enjoy the TL and thank you for your kind words.
Do it. Do the alternate Confederate victory scenarios of a successful Baltimore Campaign and one where they win in Pennsylvania.

Do it. Do the alternate Confederate victory scenarios of a successful Baltimore Campaign and one where they win in Pennsylvania.

Please don't, the reason I enjoyed this is because we don't have any stuff about what would happen in such a horrid world. I am too visual a thinker to ever Venture into a possible Confederate Victory timeline, given what I know it would mean for the slaves.

I know what it's like to be a college student and have really huge plans like these updates, though, when I was in college it was very easy to get sidetracked so I wouldn't have to focus on really big projects like this timeline. Take your time and focus on the story updates when you can.

Last edited:
Please don't, the reason I enjoyed this is because we don't have any stuff about what would happen in such a horrid world. I am too visual a thinker to ever Venture into a possible Confederate Victory timeline, given what I know it would mean for the slaves.
Maybe it's my spite talking, but I like to think that any Confederate victory at that point would have ended up being more of an extended armistice than a lasting peace.
The social balance in the greater United States had been upset too far at that point. There are too many grievances, too much shed blood, too much national humiliation for the North. Give it another 10 years or so and I would assume that fighting would start again and that time, the Union would have worked out its kinks.

That's also not to mention any slave revolts that could have broken out after such a peace and how that could potentially drag the US back into conflict with the South, depending on the leadership at the time.

That's all to say, I wouldn't see a victory scenario as a "case-closed, the South will rule for a thousand years" they just got a vicious, bloody extension on their collective hell and they'd burn sooner or later.

Confederate Victory scenarios seem to fall into a few different paths but without significant British Help (either immediately or after the Americans have attacked Canada as revenge for the British not being completely on the American side), it becomes difficult to deal with the *significant* economic and industrial differences between the Union and the Confederacy which only become worse as the fighting approaches the age of Coal and Iron to Steel. Part of the reason in TL191 that the Second Mexican American war (as an absolute Union leadership debacle) is necessary is that the 1880s/1890s are about as tipped in that direction as you can get and he needed to explain why the Union didn't simply march over the Confederacy.

How long would the cease-fire have to be before every US soldier is equipped with a Henry Rifle? (Yes, I know they can't have Bayonets fixed...)

Just to be clear, I will never write a full-fledged Confederate victory scenario. If I toyed with the idea, it's just as a small extra that I would add to the complete editions of the TL that I plan to sell, as a form to "sweeten the deal" for those who already have read the TL. As such, I would only write them after the main TL is over. My focus remains in the victory of the Union and the destruction of slavery.

Ficboy

Banned
Just to be clear, I will never write a full-fledged Confederate victory scenario. If I toyed with the idea, it's just as a small extra that I would add to the complete editions of the TL that I plan to sell, as a form to "sweeten the deal" for those who already have read the TL. As such, I would only write them after the main TL is over. My focus remains in the victory of the Union and the destruction of slavery.
Just do it as mini-update akin to previous examples.