Poor John and his family.

Stay healthy George.

And you Giovanna.
Indeed, John's suffering may be over, but his mother and father are no doubt devastated at their first loss of a child. George and Giovanna are doing quite well, though Giovanna has lived long than otl she's not even fifty yet, and I promise she'll meet that milestone.

Chapter 157, April 1527
Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos, Kingdom of Castile, April 1527

Ferdinand sat on the cushioned windowsill, his chin resting against his closed fist. When he saw her he turned towards her, his face white as a sheet,”How is Isabella?”

Catalina rested a hand on her nephew’s shoulder,”The Queen is fine, as is your daughter. I’m sure you’ll be able to see them in a moment.”

The King of Spain regained his color and sighed”That is a relief. Perhaps I shouldn’t worry myself so much, Señora Galindo always sees her through these things.”

“Indeed, she does. Now, while we wait there was something that I’d like to ask you…”

“Anything, auntie.” Ferdinand replied.

Catalina smiled,”Thank you. I was wondering if you have arranged a betrothal for Prince Juan yet?”

The King furrowed his brow,“Cousin Joao put you up to this didn’t he?

“If you don’t wish to discuss this with me that is fine, Your Majesty.”

“Oh no, you are much more pleasant than the King of Portugal’s new ambassador. Don Pedro isn’t half the charmer Don Luis was.”

“Indeed.” The Dowager Queen nodded. It was a simple answer, for this talk upset her. Don Luis, her old friend, and the Portuguese ambassador for over a decade had passed of typhus in late February. In a different world, where they were equals, perhaps they would have married. There was no denying that he was one of the three men whom she had held romantic feelings for, and while Catalina would never stray from the memory of Arthur or Manuel, the woman felt wistful. Luis was a good man, an ambassador beyond reproach. He treated both of his wives and his three daughters as a Christian man should. Luis deserved to live well into his old age, not this. Returning to the point of the conversation Catalina murmured,”What do you think of a betrothal between the Prince of Asturias and the Princess of Portugal? They are close in blood, yes, but I am sure you would be granted dispensation…”

“I think that a Portuguese bride for my son is too good an offer to pass up, and not least of which because she’s heiress presumptive of Portugal. Even if she doesn’t inherit Portugal this match will further solidify the ties between our nations. So yes, I’ll have our ambassador inform Joao that I agree to a betrothal between Juan and the Princess Beatriz.”

“Thank you.” Catalina replied,”This will be good for Spain and Portugal.”

“I’m sure it shall, you favor it, after all auntie.”

Just a moment later, the Duchess of Gandia, stepped through the doors of Isabella’s chambers and curtseyed before them,”Your Majesty, Her Majesty and the Infanta are ready for you.”

A grin cracked across the King of Spain’s face and he slid to his feet,“Thank you for letting me know, I shall visit them at once.”

The trio then entered the Queen of Spain’s bedchambers, and the first thing that they heard was a baby’s shrill cry.

The first thing they saw, meanwhile, was the baby being rocked in Isabella’s arms, the young woman was well-versed in comforting babies. It seemed that it wasn’t working this time though, for while the Infanta’s cries grew quieter, they still continued.

Isabella picked her head up, hair matted with sweat,“Oh, she must be hungry…”

It was when she handed her daughter off to the wet nurse that the Queen of Spain finally noticed them, and gasped”Oh Ferdinand! Auntie Catalina! I’m so glad you came!”

Ferdinand strode forward and stroked his wife’s hair,”Of course we’re here. You must be exhausted, my love.”

Isabella shook her head,“I am just a little tired my love. Nothing more than that,”

“See, Queen Isabella is perfectly fine.” Catalina interjected,”God’s blessing and the wisdom of Señora Galindo have resulted in a successful birth. Your Majesties should be proud of what you’ve accomplished today.”

As the Infanta had her fill of milk, she was passed to her father. Ferdinand cracked a smile at his newborn daughter, which caused her to giggle.

“She’s beautiful.” The man observed.

It was true. While the newborn had very little in the way of hair, what they did see was strawberry blonde, and her skin was fair. She’d likely grow to be a great beauty, just like her mother.

“It seems that my prayers have been answered.” Catalina remarked,”Both my darling niece and her child are healthy as can be.”

“We’ll name her Catalina then, as it is clear that your prayers have protected her, auntie.”

“Oh Ferdinand, you honor me more than I deserve.”

“Nonsense.” The King of Spain shook his head,”You taught me how to rule, how to honor God. After all you've done for us, this is the least I can do in thanks”

Catalina of Aragon was back from the dinner to celebrate her namesake’s birth. It was the first truly lavish dinner that she had since the beginning of lent, and the woman would be lying if she said she didn’t indulge herself.

She sat at her desk; despite the events of the day, she still had some matters to attend to.

“Maria.” Catalina murmured,”Can you fetch me my quill and my ink?”
Her chief lady jumped to her feet, almost reflexively,“Sí, mi reina. May I ask what this is for?”

“Yes, you may. It’s a matter of finance. As you know the rents from my dower lands have given me more money than I know what to do with. I intend to do some good with a portion of that money.”

Maria de Salinas brought the requested items, but seemed to have more questions,”For whom? You already give away quite a bit in alms to the poor.”

The Dowager Queen of Portugal shrugged“Well you see there are many in need Maria. But yes, this is a bit different. You remember that Portuguese ambassador, Don Luis?”

“The one you were sweet on before you married Manuel?”

Catalina answered with a slight nod of her head,”What little he saved won’t last his widow and daughters two years. Barbara is a good mother to their two little girls and raised Constança as her own, but a mother’s love can only do so much. With what I’m sending them she can marry Constança to the lord of her choosing while taking Matilda and Esmeralda with her to serve Queen Catarina once they are of age.”

“That’s… very kind of you, Catalina.”

Catalina of Aragon wiped away a tear,”Don Luis was a good man, who served my husband and King Joao well. It is my duty as Dowager Queen to make sure that his family is well provided for. And… my own conscience compels me to do so as well. I could never forgive myself if I sat by and Luis's loved ones become paupers.”

very fitting that Fernando and Isabella should name their newest daughter after Catalina! And hopefully things will turn out well for Barbara, Constanca, Matilda, and Esmeralda

very fitting that Fernando and Isabella should name their newest daughter after Catalina! And hopefully things will turn out well for Barbara, Constanca, Matilda, and Esmeralda
Aww I certainly thought it would too, considering all they've been through together, Catalina was like an extra parent to the both of them. Things should turn out well for Luis's family, they got Catalina looking out for them after all 😏.

A Spanish -Portugal match would certainly be beneficial between the Kingdoms I guess.

Welcome little Catalina, be in good wealth.

Catalina looking after Don Luis' family seems very nice of her and consistent with how you have portrayed her. I am sure History ITTL will judge her well.

A Spanish -Portugal match would certainly be beneficial between the Kingdoms I guess.

Welcome little Catalina, be in good wealth.

Catalina looking after Don Luis' family seems very nice of her and consistent with how you have portrayed her. I am sure History ITTL will judge her well.
Indeed it would, though there's also the drawback that this would be a match between double first cousins, which, while something to be avoided was something that occurred at this time. Catalina is perfectly healthy so far, so that's a good start. Indeed it is, and I believe here she'll be remembered more for her own qualities as a person, rather than just how she was married to.

Chapter 158, May 1527
Windsor Castle, Kingdom of England, May 1527

The older children were there paying them a visit from Eltham, and with the weather so perfect, the King and Queen decided that they would spend some time outdoors.

Henry was off with the Duke of York some distance away, where the two were playing the bowls. From the faint laughter that Eleanor heard, she could tell that the two were enjoying themselves. She suspected that Henry was letting Edward win, but there was no harm in it. He was a second son after all and did not quite require the same training as his older brother. Even so, their heir too needed some time to enjoy the pleasant, and so he did so as well. Whereas Edward played with their father, the older children were with Eleanor and her ladies by the river. That stretch of the Thames was cleaner than the rest, and while of course, they wouldn’t play in the water, it did not have an odor, so they could be near without getting ill. Mary sat on the ground, a blanket underneath her so that the grass would not stain her dress. Her doll, Edith was in her loving hands, and Mary seemed content. While Eleanor had outgrown her dolls by the time, she was Mary’s age, the eleven-year-old had started to view her doll differently. Rather than a toy, Mary now treated it as if it were a child. It was only appropriate, given that she would be a wife in just four years. The younger Henry for his part was more active, exploring with his constant companion and beloved dog at his side.

Suzie was no longer a puppy, and listened well, at least most of the time. She was quiet at first, that was until she saw a starling on the branch of a short oak. The Grand Bleu de Gascogne whined, pacing back and forth before letting out a bellowing bark.

“Harry, what is the matter with her? She’s not trained to hunt birds, is she?”

“No.” The boy shook his head,”She hates them.”

It was a simple answer and got the point across just fine. From the way the dog was carrying on, Eleanor could tell it was the truth. Suzie did not want to eat the bird; no, she just wanted it to die.

Mary shot an accusatory glance at the dog,“She tried to kill Goldie!”

Goldie, a canary, named so because of her coloring, was Mary’s beloved pet, ever since she received it for her tenth birthday. Yet like any bird, she could be loud, and it would not surprise Eleanor if Suzie hated Goldie.

Henry, the Duke of Cornwall reddened,”Well maybe if your stupid bird would shut up at night Suzie wouldn’t have snapped at her.”

Though Mary was a Tudor, and thus quick to temper, she did not directly respond to her brother. Instead, the girl got up and stomped off, muttering to herself as she did so. Eleanor shook her head, she did not feel like chastising her elder two children, especially as they both made good points.

Instead, she simply sighed,”Try not to fight with your sister, there will be a day when you want nothing more than to see her.”

The Prince wrinkled his nose at this, but did not disagree,”I guess I could make sure Suzie stays away from that bird of hers.”

“That’s a good boy. Mary is lucky to have such a considerate brother.”

Eleanor heard continued barks, It seemed that something still disturbed Suzie.

Strolling over to where Suzie had the starling treed, an idea entered the Queen’s head. The bird remained on the branch and did not seem to care about the dog angrily barking at it. She would use this to teach both it, and her son a lesson, though both in different ways.

“Come, Henry.” She urged.

The boy obediently did so, a curious look on his face, wondering what his mother wanted.

Eleanor picked up a rock from the riverbank. She passed it to her son, who titled his head, seeking an explanation. Narrowing her eyes at the bird, she coolly explained,”Starlings are a menace. They attack songbirds, even the babies in their nests. They are tyrants among birds, they kill out of jealousy, not to feed themselves. They must be punished.”

“Punished?” The Prince rose his brow,”But it is just a bird.”

“You see, as King one of your responsibilities will be to uphold justice. To punish those who dare oppress the weak. Strike this starling and you will show the rest that you will not tolerate tyranny in your Kingdom. Strike it down and you will begin your most sacred duty!"

“But mother…” The boy hesitated, hand still at his side.

“You must be decisive as King. If you hesitate when an enemy is before you, you may never get the chance to punish him. You must show that you will be a strong King, who does not shirk from his duties!”

Her son nodded slowly and stepped forward to throw the rock at the starling. The rock flew by the bird and the end of the branch, falling some distance away from the tree. The starling let out a shrill screech and flew off, finally feeling threatened enough to leave.

“I missed...” Henry observed, his voice glum.

Eleanor rested a hand on her son’s shoulder as his dog trotted back to him,”That’s fine. You taught it a lesson, that you will not tolerate it or any of its ilk in your presence.”

The boy giggled when Suzie licked his right palm,”So you’re not angry with me?”

“Oh of course I’m not.” The woman reassured her son,”I’m proud of you Henry. You showed me that you won’t hesitate to do what it takes for England when the time comes, I’m sure your father would be proud too.”

The boy flushed with pride, and Eleanor of Austria knew that if she trained him properly he’d be a great King one day, perhaps even greater than his father. Yes, that is what she’d dedicate herself to, molding her son into a ruler to be both loved and feared.

Is Mary betrothed??? How did I miss this!?

Also, Eleanor seems like a thoughtful and compassionate but very firm mother. I hope young Henry grows to be the King she envisions.
I thought I may have mentioned it but I could've forgot, but yeah she's engaged to her cousin, James V of Scotland. Thank you, she really cares for her children, but of course has her own aims in seeing then turn out a certain way. As for how Henry turns out, we'll see in time but he's got his mother influencing him as much as his father, so it'll be interesting to say the least...

He'll be a force to be reckoned with...good luck maria! (though she's a force in her own way haha)

Ah! Makes sense
I suspect that given time she will be, she's Catalina's daughter after all, though I suspect she'll have an interesting dynamic with her mother-in-law. Also, I can say with some confidence that our three leading ladies; Catalina, Giovanna, and Eleanor will all be in the same room eventually.

It’s very strange to see a timeline where Henry VIII has (relative) domestic bliss. I like it. Also Mary’s betrothal completely blindsided me.

Well Henry has a loyal companion there. Hope Suzie lasts a long time and Henry keeps having dogs at his side all his life.

“Yes, that is what she’d dedicate herself to, molding her son into a ruler to be both loved and feared.” - well it’s an ambition. Good luck.

Nice that Henry is spending time with Edward.

Mary off to Scotland heh? Perhaps one of her children will marry one of young Henry’s when the time comes.

It’s very strange to see a timeline where Henry VIII has (relative) domestic bliss. I like it. Also Mary’s betrothal completely blindsided me.
Indeed it can be, often he's managed to screw things up, but here he's got his healthy sons, and Eleanor has calmed down a bit too... Yeah I may have forgotten to include it in a chapter given all that's been going on, but it has been noted in the most recent family tree. Thank you!

Well Henry has a loyal companion there. Hope Suzie lasts a long time and Henry keeps having dogs at his side all his life.

“Yes, that is what she’d dedicate herself to, molding her son into a ruler to be both loved and feared.” - well it’s an ambition. Good luck.

Nice that Henry is spending time with Edward.

Mary off to Scotland heh? Perhaps one of her children will marry one of young Henry’s when the time comes.
I get the feeling that she shall, she is certain going to be well looked after. Eleanor is certainly ambitious, and as we know she won't let much get in the way of getting what she wants. Henry is a pretty good father, all in all, even if he's a bit distracted sometimes he sets aside some time for his children. As for that kind of engagement, well it's certainly possible, but we shall see in time.

Chapter 159, September 1527
Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, September 1527

The fire crackled, filling the room with heat. While it may have been a bit hotter than most would have preferred, Giovanna, being from Naples, would rather be a bit too warm than cold. Of course, the woman had warmed up earlier, thanks to a visit from Anthony, but that was only temporary, and it would not do for them to openly display their affection for one another. Now, with that over, Giovanna sat by the hearth, wondering what she should do with the rest of her day. Kat Champernowne, who had just entered Giovanna’s service as a lady in waiting, stoked the fire with a poker. Lingering by the fire, Kat was one of the few Englishwomen in her service to share her preference of heat over mild cold.

The younger woman turned to the Dowager Queen, gesturing at the small cap in her hands,”How is the sewing, Your Majesty?”

“It’s going well.” Giovanna smiled,”I believe this is just the right size for George, even if only for a few months.”

“Children grow all too fast, do they not?”

“Indeed they do, there are times when I wish I could slow time down, but we must live with what God sees fit to give us.”

Kat nodded slightly, leaning against the mantle, and then turned her head at the sound of footsteps by the stairs. It was the Countess of Wiltshire and Ormond, who held an envelope in hand. It seemed that a courier had visited the household recently.

Walking into the sitting room, the woman had a plain look on her face, clearly, she was trustworthy and did not read the letter.

“You have a letter, Your Majesty.” Elizabeth Howard began,”From France.”

“From Joanna!” Giovanna exclaimed,”Bring it quick, please.”

Her friend did so, and lingered by the Dowager Queen, waiting to see what sort of news this was. Giovanna felt some nervousness when the letter was handed to her, it had been months since Joanna had sent her the letter which informed the woman that she had quickened, and she was anxious to see how she was. Her daughter’s due date must have been fast approaching, if not already passed by now and childbirth could be dangerous, She said a silent prayer to herself as she opened the envelop, hoping for good news.

Mother,

I write to inform you that you now have a granddaughter. It was on the eleventh of this month that my water broke, and it was on that very same day that I delivered the Princess Jeanne. She is swarthy like her father and has a full face. She may be a great beauty one day. I am not yet sure what to think of motherhood, but what I do know is that Francis has been almost kind to me, even with the misfortune of the child’s sex. I am sure that he hopes that in the future we’ll have a son, but for now he is happy to see a sign that I am fertile.

Your loving daughter, Jeanne d'Angleterre, Reine de France

Giovanna of Naples crossed herself, giving thanks to the Lord for her daughter’s good fortune. It seemed that now, even if Francis did not love Joanna, he would give her the respect she was do. Surely being a mother would make her happy too, for how could it not? Turning to Elizabeth, Giovanna murmured,”I would like a rider sent to the King. I will seek His Majesty’s permission to travel to France, to meet my first granddaughter. If he hesitates, remind him that my visit may serve to keep the peace between England and France.”