Also, IMO Columbus Day is so overrated compared to Leif Erikson Day (commemorating the man who actually discovered America)

I prefer to celebrate "Unknown tribe who first arrived to the Americas around 14.000 years ago through, probably, the Bering Strech" Day. For the real ones who discovered America!

Interlude 1.2: A Columbus Day Special
Interlude 2: A Columbus Day Special

Pedro de Alvarado nodded at the metalworkers working under the close supervision of his men. Already three Indians had attempted to run off with some Silver, necessitating some harsh measures around Quito to ensure no treason was tolerated. The Gold was of course only to be handled by Spanish hands, the Indians were oddly protective of their pagan idols and was not going to risk losing any to them. There was a great amount of treasure to be had in San Felipe, the city the natives called Qito, and the crown would have its fifth when they asked for it. Until then, well Mexico had enough Silver that his funds weren't needed yet. The riches he had seen here were only part of a vast empire, an empire he would soon conquer, not the damn fool Andagoya and certainly not Pizarro or Almagro, who had been so idiotic and foolhearty as to be captured. Captured by these barbarians, who had knelt before him so easily. The gold of San Felipe was his, and the cross now towered above this Suyu Empire of Peru.

He musings were interrupted by an Indian, baptized (but one never could be entirely sure with pagans), and now named Francisco. He was some sort of chieftain with the rebels who had joined with the Spanish.

"Sir?" He asked via a translator.

"What?" Snapped Alvarado.

"Should we be focused on our defenses of the city? The Army of the Inka has been wrecked by this illness that sweeps the city, and you are miraculously unharmed. If we wish to be ready when the attack comes there would be no better time."

"There will be time. They will scatter at the sound of gunfire."

"They will. But the army the Inka will not."

"Their victories over Spaniards were by treachery. They cannot defeat us in open battle. They are distracted by Andagoya. I have fallen under siege by an Empire far greater than this one, and I stood against it."

"The men, they wonder why you do not smash the army now. The siege is weak."

"The army is unimportant, we are getting enough food through them. We must focus on organizing the city properly. This is the seat of a new power in Peru it should look like it. The walls can withstand a few arrows. The cannon will scatter the men."

"You are aware the reenforcements have guns, sir?" Francisco asked.

"They posses them but they do have them. They do not understand the power they posses. They have not fought with anyone who knows how to use them. We will prevail."

-----

Rumiñavi stared in shock at Alvarado. He had known the Spanish to be haughty and assured in their power, but this? Did the really think the Empire was that foolish?

"The Sapa Inka is indeed with the Army. But he will not enter Quito to speak with you." Rumiñavi said evenly.

"I am a representative of the King of Spain! I demand to speak with the Emperor." This new man said.

"The Emperor will speak with you, a great honor I might add, to negotiate your withdrawal. But he will not enter Quito."

"If he wishes to honor us then he should meet with us on our terms."

"If you with to honor us, then your king should meet the Sapa Inka himself."

"Your Emperor does not meet with us, he sends us a mere General, not even his own blood. I do not think here cares for honor."

Internally Rumiñavi fumed at the sheer insolence of this Spaniard, he was outnumbered by a large margin and he responded with insults?

"The Sapa Inka will meet with you outside the city. With only a few bodyguards and advisors for each of you."

"No. He must enter the city."

"Then there shall be no negotiation." Rumiñavi replied.

---

"The gall! The gall! The sheer barbarism to parade our captured comrades before us like cattle! These pagans will pay! The sea will run red, fed by the rivers of blood we will send down the mountains! Their capital will make Carthage look like Madrid!" Alvarado raged at the reports of men in armor approaching the city surrounded by hundreds of men with slings. He armor hurriedly put on, he rushed to see the spectacle himself.

Through the city of Quito he raced ordering his men to abandon their works and pleasures to ready for battle. He'd dragged half a dozen men half naked away from women and his search for more gold in the temple would have to wait for this righteous victory to be one. It would rival his victories of Mexico, no surpass it. It would be his name they would surpass Cortes, not Andagoya or Belalcázar.

The cannon was readied looking over the approach to the city, ready to tear apart the Indians. Muskets and crossbows were readied and the horses prepared for battle. Victory would be achieved under the cross and a march south could begin.

Alvarado saw the Army and saw the glint of the armor. He scowled deeply. But then he noticed the odd and somewhat confused way the man rode. He saw the gestures the man made and how the Indian soldiers obeyed him. He saw no weapons pointed at the man.

It was an Indian. On a horse. In armor.

When Francisco arrived Alvarado seized him.

"Why was I not told that they wear our armor?" He yelled.

"Why would they not? It protects them well." Francisco replied.

-----

War is hell.

The Tawantinsuyu died in droves as they stormed towards Quito, an all around easily defensible city. For all they had learned of the weapons that passed for modern in Europe they were not masters of this new war. The Spanish knew their craft well. Blood soaked the field. But numbers can always win out, if you are willing to sacrifice enough. The Tawantinsuyu canon was brought fourth and fired, startling the Spanish and their allied rebels. The Sapa Inka's men advanced showering the enemy with crossbow bolts, with an expertise Alvarado did not expect.

Alvarado had to have known the Tawantinsuyu could only have limited powder, especially with Andagoya still barely contained near Tumbez. But he still inexplicably led a calvary charge to take them out, cutting a brutal swath towards the captured guns. Sling after sling failed to fell the Spanish charge.

Alvarado reached the Cannon unknowingly close to Rumiñavi's and Atahualpa's command. There he inflicted a severe blow to the Empire. Crossbow and musket fire prevented him from seizing back the guns, but he killed almost all of those manning them. The only ones in the empire trained in any meaningful capacity in firing the foreign weapons. Though he was forced to fall back from his charge, and suffered severe losses in his rash act, he thought the battle was won.

But in the end the Sapa Inka's Army was Quitian, of northern persuasion through and through. They had followed Atahualpa to Cusco and the hostile locals there. They had fought the Spanish in the passes and at Tumbez. They had followed Rumiñavi to the far south and won a victory never won by soldiers of the Empire. Now an enemy had burned his way through their homeland and stolen the city that had ruled them with the help of traitors who opposed the man they had followed so far.

They would not abandon the field. Not here. Not now.

The army pushed forwards, crossbows, slings, clubs and muskets unharmed. Bloodied but not defeated. Alvarado's charge of the cannons proved a Pyrrhic victory, his calvary was spent as the push began against him and his native allies, faced with the idea of punishment for treason, began to crack. The limited Tawantinsuyu calvary entered the mix, though cautiously and more for show then anything else. The army still fell in droves but they pushed bloodily foreword. The Spanish were not used to losing and though they fought violently and well they were crushed against the walls, their horses struck by arrows more often then not.

By the days end the fighting had ended. At great cost Quito once again belonged to the Tawantinsuyu.

-----

Alvarado faced a choice. Try to flee south to beg mercy from Andagoya or run north and await his ship's return, expecting gold. Neither were acceptable options, but both were better then being captured by the barbarians. He glanced over the half burning city as his men tried to stop the heathen advance. They would fail.

He would fail.

He stuffed gold into his bags, perhaps he could bribe his way to freedom. He suspected there was an order to keep him alive maybe he could slip away then. But he did not want the dishonor of being captured. He added some silver for good measure.

He heard footsteps behind him. He turned and reached for his sword. Only for him to hear the clattering of steel and feel a painful throbbing in his hand.

He faced his attacker. A common looking man, probably uncivilized even by Indian standards. Only wielding a club.

"Good luck taking me alive, barbarian." Alvarado sneered.

The man did not understand him, obviously. But Alvarado suddenly doubted wether the man would have cared even if he had.

In the end Pedro de Alvarado fell not to steel, but to bronze.

There was no easy way to win this; I'm glad the sacrifice was not in vain.
Spanish and even European attitude will begin to change; viewing America's natives more as similar to the Asian civilizations they encountered, instead of similar to the hunter-gatherers of the North like Sami, Komi etc. they're also familiar with.

Spanish and even European attitude will begin to change; viewing America's natives more as similar to the Asian civilizations they encountered, instead of similar to the hunter-gatherers of the North like Sami, Komi etc. they're also familiar with.
They will still encounter North America ones and others, I think their attitude would depend more on the region than entire continent.

As is traditional I now respond to your comments in a post longer than the update.

OUCH! The Inca are facing even more conquistadors?

Yep. The interlude takes place midway through the next update, which will cover the multiple invasions problem.

Excellent update. I hope the Incas prevail. The Andes are very good defensive terrain, so if the Incas can trick the Spaniards into attacking fortified positions when their supplies run out, they may be able to destroy their force. Then again, the Incas are not familiar with such tactics.

They have been bloodied at Quito. But they are victorious. The trick now is to defeat a larger, better trained, better led group.
They have good generals and an alright Sapa Inka.

They'll be fine.

I'm more worried about the influenza and smallpox together for the next decade.

...with influenza sweeping south.

Yup, that's about expected. And they likely won't stop until the Inca manage to establish proper coastal forts and make the beginnings of a formal navy, charged with patrolling the Empire's northern waters. Or alternatively, the King of Spain gets tired of dumping New World manpower(a precious commodity) at the Inca and orders a cease and desist, at which point all but the most foolish should stop.

Wave after Wave of my own men.

Is Spain such a major power in the Americas that no European rival could decide to strike at the Spanish holdings while they are distracted by a tougher than average native target?

In 1536, Henry VIII is busy looking for new wives (and killing old ones), so no official reaction from England. However, Portugal does have a presence in Brazil already.

Did Pedro de Mendoza still found the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata in this timeline at around this point?

Mendoza will not be featured, but his exploits will be mentioned and examined. As for other powers its a matter of time effort and whether they can really help.

Might Portugal help the Inca in their fight? I think the answer is no, but maybe...?

Portugal will be Portugal.

I imagine that yes, they would, but there's no reason that the settlement would be any more successful. If anything, it'd face even more pressure thanks to the Mapuche having settled on the river and likely be wiped out near instantly. With less interest in South America than ever, I don't see the Spanish being interested. But on a side note, in a few decades there may be interest by multiple parties in conquering the Neo-Mapuche; being based around the Rio de La Plata is going to lead to an accumulation of wealth there, especially if they exist as a settled agricultural society that makes full use of the terrain.

Neo-Mapuche will certainly be a player for everyone's second favorite South American river. (Sorry Argentina/Uruguay).

I'd love to see how less riches in Spain's coffers would lead to an economically weaker Spain, and thus a tendency for more areas to go Protestant (ie Bohemia, France) in the long-run?

I do have plans for the reformation.

Yeah I am interested too in the effects of reduced availability of silver from Potosì on the European economic developement.

This TL shows great promise and I like the writing style, so keep up the good work! My only quibble is that the epidemics could maybe have a worse effect on such a centralised society as the Incaic one.

The wars are a very nice distractionion aren't they? ;).

A Spanish economy not inundated with Peruvian silver might actually be more healthy by the end of the 17th century. The government might actually be forced to develop the domestic economy instead of just raking in colony money.

Perhaps but with the wars in Europe they won't be doing it too soon.

maybe, however there is still the problem of religion ins Spain, especially the Santa Inquisición, which hunts almost anyone with liberal ideas, jews and others

And the money being poured into protecting that faith.

Working title for next update: Nobody expects the Tawantinsuyu resistance.

Butttt now Europe can't trade with China, and they can't force China's doors open yet (Sino-Dutch wars, for example). Only Mexican silver can trade with China.

China will primarily trade with the Inca tho

Only if the Inca show up.

I'm all caught up. Looking forward to the next update

That's great! Hoped you liked it.

That's... actually very possible...

Though Spain still has Mexico, so maybe it's just very set back, but not completely undone.

Maybe.

They could possibly still get silver or gold in exchange for goods, actually adding a drive for industrialisation. The lack of specie would be damaging, but I am not sure it would be enough to avoid western industrislisation. I am thinking this could be great for places like Venice or Milan which could trade (if they find suitable intermediaries) luxury goods (silk, murano glass, manufactured goods etc.) to the Inca.

Perhaps you could say they don't hang themselves on a cross of gold.

Opium, but how soon can that start?

Time to put myself on another watch list by googling where to grow drugs.

Not very soon. At this point in time, the Qing dynasty is very strong and can easily crush Europeans or South Americans or whoever. Still, that might open up China's doors to help the Inca. After all, they're both suffering from the Europeans' greed...

Actually its still the Ming.

Religious tolerance is overrated, Sweden was pretty much as intolerant as the Catholic states, it didn't keep them from making important institutional reforms. The expulsion of the "Jews" and "Muslims" may have been a long term economic bad idea, but it wasn't that which made Spain into a economic basket case. France expelled a half million of their best and brightest, it didn't keep France from dominating Europe in 200 years. If Spain lack a source of fast money, they have to make investment to keep their economy going. In the positive aspects that's investments at home in industry and agriculture production, in the less positive aspects it would be massive investments in Caribbean sugar production, which would also help building up the mercantile class at home. In fact if the Spanish have to trade with the Inca instead of just exploit them, it also force them to develop some export industries to produce the goods they trades or become middlemen.

Investment investment investment.

Unlikely maybe you could butterfly it away if the sugar production disappeared. In fact I think this will push more production of goods earlier. The Europeans need silver for the China trade, if they can't get it from the Incas we will likely see rising silver prices in Europe benefiting the local silver producers. But more likely they will simply trade with the Incas, which will mean that Europe will likely sell things like weapons, but also spices, coloured cloths, sugar and other goods the Incas doesn't produce. The risk the Incas run here is that they risk building their economy on the extraction of resources, while they import manufactured goods. But by the point that's going to be a problem they will have survived for 2-3 hundred years longer.

Mercantilism certainly threatens our plucky giant empire.

The Inca Empire has enough gold and silver to last centuries of pre-industrial extraction. And that is without counting other resources like copper or rare metals that are still extracted today by tons with modern methods.

Yep.

So any updates?

yep.

Sweet.

Also, IMO Columbus Day is so overrated compared to Leif Erikson Day (commemorating the man who actually discovered America)

Yes but then you don't get the same sense of satisfaction from watching Spaniards crash and burn.

Ehh, I prefer honoring natives.

So do I. But I live in a city called Colunbus so……

I prefer to celebrate "Unknown tribe who first arrived to the Americas around 14.000 years ago through, probably, the Bering Strech" Day. For the real ones who discovered America!

Damn straight.

Gotta love it! My ancestors had tge skills to win. And this shows it.

Victory at Quito indeed.

That made me smile.

:angel:

Yes, the Spanish will soon realize, if they haven't already, they are facing a solid state.

They will still encounter North America ones and others, I think their attitude would depend more on the region than entire continent.

"Americas" was always a uselessly broad term.

Worth it, Go Incas!

The turn south begins...NOW!

Yikes, sounds like a brutal battle... Could you give an estimate of the exact casualties, on each side?

High Hundreds to low thousands for the Inca and co. Hard to tell for the Spanish because of the blurring of the battle and oddly dying in captivity.

Great job so far, keep going!

Thanks a bunch.

God I love this TL

DEUS VEUT this TL.

DEUS does not VEUT the Spanish ITTL.

I wonder... will the Incas eventually convert to a western religion through missionaries and western influence? Or will they retain their native religion no matter what, kinda like Japan did? In that case, I guess the Inca will still be considered to a deity.

I wonder... will the Incas eventually convert to a western religion through missionaries and western influence? Or will they retain their native religion no matter what, kinda like Japan did? In that case, I guess the Inca will still be considered to a deity.
Japan technically did convert from "western" influences.

I believed they still practice Shinto? I know there are some Japonese Christians, but I thought the great majority of Japanese where either non-practicant but nominally Shinto.

Yeah the vast majority are still practitioners of folk religions or buddhism, Japan is only about 3% Christian. He may be thinking about South Korea, which has a Christian plurality.