Pick your poison:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brylyth

Banned
Patton comes across as a man whose political career would be short and extremely powerful. He would take the title of POTUS not as a normal political person would but in the very much Military mind of seeing it as a theater of operations he wants to win.

He wouls get the chair and put little to no thought to actually keeping it, instead going hard on fulfilling his mission. Whatever it may be. In this case I can see the short Patton presidency being a few months of a extremely chaotic and powerful president dead set on making sure the US is safe. Giveb the context I would expect him to crackdown on whatever tried to kill Long and ensure the US is back in the world stage by setting up a foreign policy aim similar to a NATO idea of keeping grey germans and red chinese the hell out.

Patton comes across as a man whose political career would be short and extremely powerful. He would take the title of POTUS not as a normal political person would but in the very much Military mind of seeing it as a theater of operations he wants to win.

He wouls get the chair and put little to no thought to actually keeping it, instead going hard on fulfilling his mission. Whatever it may be. In this case I can see the short Patton presidency being a few months of a extremely chaotic and powerful president dead set on making sure the US is safe. Giveb the context I would expect him to crackdown on whatever tried to kill Long and ensure the US is back in the world stage by setting up a foreign policy aim similar to a NATO idea of keeping grey germans and red chinese the hell out.
Read that out loud and a Bald Eagle will land on your shoulder while patriotic songs will blast all over the background.

Just realized that it puts things into perspective when you realize that Kaiser of Brazil had to basically cripple the foreign policy of America and Britian for a good 10 years to even give Nazi Germany a chance at a somewhat equal Cold War

Just realized that it puts things into perspective when you realize that Kaiser of Brazil had to basically cripple the foreign policy of America and Britian for a good 10 years to even give Nazi Germany a chance at a somewhat equal Cold War
Of course. There is no other way that the Nazis could survive other than everyone making the baffling decision to just ignore them. This is basically what happened with the Soviets.

TL Looks promising so far. If vote still active I think Kingfish should be out. Dead or disabled. To much pure populism, too much increasing power of presidency. Thank him very much for giving USA a national healthcare system and for breaking the 2 party system but his political work is detrimental to rule of the law and government accountability.

We have already been hinted that UK is going to have serious issues with it's democracy. No need to also ruin USA democracy in Long's 3rd (and 4th?) term.

I wouldn't really compare situation of plot leaving Reich alone for a decade to OTL USSR. There was the intervention, but Entente didn't have much desire to fight Bolsheviks on their own once Whites were defeated. And USSR was quite a pariah in '20es and '30es.

Yes yes, guilty as charged, the US had to be fully isolationist on European matters so Lend-Lease never happened and instead they kept a strong anti-communism sentiment going.

TL Looks promising so far. If vote still active I think Kingfish should be out. Dead or disabled. To much pure populism, too much increasing power of presidency. Thank him very much for giving USA a national healthcare system and for breaking the 2 party system but his political work is detrimental to rule of the law and government accountability.

We have already been hinted that UK is going to have serious issues with it's democracy. No need to also ruin USA democracy in Long's 3rd (and 4th?) term.

I wouldn't really compare situation of plot leaving Reich alone for a decade to OTL USSR. There was the intervention, but Entente didn't have much desire to fight Bolsheviks on their own once Whites were defeated. And USSR was quite a pariah in '20es and '30es.
In my timelines I prefer to explore ideas that challenge preconceived notions of democratic exceptionalism, especially in the "First World". Many people believe that Liberal Democracy seems inevitable, a perfect system that is the only one possible in places such as the US and Britain. Truth is that these two are the exception, while all across the world the power of the masses could be used by those who place Democracy as a secondary concern at best. Even if they themselves aren't dictators, they do end up eroding foundations of strong constitutional systems and open the gates for it's destruction. This timelines could very well see another system rise up to the challenge and it would just be seen as "normal" and the result of a historical "inevitability" the 1990s mentality if one could say.

I am not saying the US will be taken over by a dictator or Britain will be ruled by the King and the Lords, also not saying they won't, but the idea of their democratic/constitutional stability being an inevitable process WILL be challenged. I believe History is ultimately the results of small decisions that escalate into potential events and changes, little accidents which don't necessarily lead to one same end. Even if the US wins this Cold War and the Reich falls apart, the damage has already been done and this new world has a mentality already different from our own. It seems small now, but the differences should become clear with time.

In my timelines I prefer to explore ideas that challenge preconceived notions of democratic exceptionalism, especially in the "First World". Many people believe that Liberal Democracy seems inevitable, a perfect system that is the only one possible in places such as the US and Britain. Truth is that these two are the exception, while all across the world the power of the masses could be used by those who place Democracy as a secondary concern at best. Even if they themselves aren't dictators, they do end up eroding foundations of strong constitutional systems and open the gates for it's destruction. This timelines could very well see another system rise up to the challenge and it would just be seen as "normal" and the result of a historical "inevitability" the 1990s mentality if one could say.
<....>
I believe History is ultimately the results of small decisions that escalate into potential events and changes, little accidents which don't necessarily lead to one same end.
I mean, I agree with all of this, but I can also say I'm glad that democracy did win out in our TL (for now 😬) and I certainly root for in most TLs I read.

or Britain will be ruled by the King and the Lords,
I have a gut feeling that a certain Mosley and /or Enoch Powell will rise to popularity...
Even if the US wins this Cold War and the Reich falls apart, the damage has already been done and this new world has a mentality already different from our own. It seems small now, but the differences should become clear with time.
And it was hinted in some chapters, mainly the first one, that the riech still exists in some capacity in the modern day 😳
I mean, I agree with all of this, but I can also say I'm glad that democracy did win out in our TL (for now 😬) and I certainly root for in most TLs I read.
Me too, though I kinda have to agree with Kaiser of Brazils point that democracies victory is in no way inevitable. I hope that even if democracy is destroyed in America and Britian that it manages to survive in Australia, New Zeland, or Latin America. In any case I don't think it would go that far in that direction, because I don't think that Kaiser of Brazil is going form something TNO levels of darkness.

Oh I most certainly don't disagree with that. It's just there are already so many dark and depressing timelines where democracy and liberalism fail. Having everything go dark and gloomy has gotten old by now.

Me too, though I kinda have to agree with Kaiser of Brazils point that democracies victory is in no way inevitable.
Like I said, I agreed with Kaisar that democracy isn't inevitable, I'm just happy it did win in our TL... for the time being.

Oh Democracies aren't going to die, there are some places which actually will be better off in this timeline such as India (they won't have to worry about conflicts with Pakistan). But I don't want to give an impression that a world where Hitler wins could be a better world than what we have now. The very fact here that a Totalitarian racial-minded state won a world war, going from being a devastated nation in 1933 to a Continental hegemon in 1943, is going to give a lot of credit to ideas which in our world were practically destroyed.

India (they won't have to worry about conflicts with Pakistan).
Yes we certainly do need an update on India, being one of the top 5 economies in the so called free world. Behind only US, UK and possibly Russia too in economic might and would make a major trade partner for the Americans and the rest of the free world. And a leader of the third world too, it's stature although not as great as a superpower is still is of considerable consequence.
the Korean War
Will this Korean war

Regarding Maoism is he still that bad in this TL. Does he attempt things like the Great Leap Forward without the Soviet Union. He possibly has greater expertise due to many former Soviet Communists being in China but without Soviet Aid China is still behind a lot industrially. Their Army being designed to fight a war with Russia and secure their borders.

I doubt that without Soviet backing China will march into Korea. The Korean Peoples Army of this TL being something like the Vietcong I suppose.

Will this Korean war restart and charge the Japanese economy or will they start to look to Beijing for inspiration?

What is the status of China's relationship with the other Asian states?

Hiw did Indonesia achieve independence and how is it doing?

I like that you have turned US into a three party state, now put many small parties so that the leader of the house becomes the most powerful person and the president is always elected by the house.

Yes we certainly do need an update on India, being one of the top 5 economies in the so called free world. Behind only US, UK and possibly Russia too in economic might and would make a major trade partner for the Americans and the rest of the free world. And a leader of the third world too, it's stature although not as great as a superpower is still is of considerable consequence.

Will this Korean war

Regarding Maoism is he still that bad in this TL. Does he attempt things like the Great Leap Forward without the Soviet Union. He possibly has greater expertise due to many former Soviet Communists being in China but without Soviet Aid China is still behind a lot industrially. Their Army being designed to fight a war with Russia and secure their borders.

I doubt that without Soviet backing China will march into Korea. The Korean Peoples Army of this TL being something like the Vietcong I suppose.

Will this Korean war restart and charge the Japanese economy or will they start to look to Beijing for inspiration?

What is the status of China's relationship with the other Asian states?

Hiw did Indonesia achieve independence and how is it doing?

I like that you have turned US into a three party state, now put many small parties so that the leader of the house becomes the most powerful person and the president is always elected by the house.
India and Japan have a great potential in being US allies against Mao in Asia, that is if nothing unexpected happens in Japan.

I'm not sure what the Korean War question was meant to be.

That will be shown in the Chinese chapter.

Considering the type of policy Mao engaged in foreign affairs, have no doubt that aggressive "defense" is still in the books.

That depends on many things. The Emperor himself absolutely despises the US, there are far fewer political figures which were historically rehabilitated due to Operation Sunset and Halsey's reconstruction policies meant to be punishing and crippling of Japan so that it wouldn't threaten the US again. Right now, Kuribayashi is the main stabilizing force in Japan by controlling the Police forces and he doesn't wish to restart the war. You can be sure of one thing, there is no friendship between Americans and Japanese which happened IRL due to the Invasion and punishing reconstruction. The question is if the Japanese hate Mao more than the Americans.

That can be expanded on future chapters, but China is seen by some as the foremost power fighting outside Imperialism, while Mao also changes the communists dogmas to be more fitting to the Decolonization movements. Some nations such as India see China as a threat, while there is less hostility between China and Vietnam.

Indonesia was given Independence by the Japanese, but when the war was turning on Japan and the allies invaded the Main Islands, Sukarno contacted the allies and betrayed the Japanese garrison. As the Dutch government is reduced to Suriname and a house in London, they couldn't really refuse when the US recognized it for sake of pragmatism.

On the other hand, the Populists are still young, if Long dies and his secrets are revealed while the party tears itself apart over leadership, then you can say hello to an age of Republican domination for quite some time, a reaction to two decades of Democrat/Populist control. I don't think the position of speaker would get that powerful, if such a multi-party system ended up solidified its more likely the far more powerful Presidency would push to change the Electoral College than give more power to the House Delegations.

India and Japan have a great potential in being US allies against Mao in Asia, that is if nothing unexpected happens in Japan.
Why is Mao planning on antagonizing India this time around? They don't have the Soviet Union, to whom 60% of the Chinese exports headed till the Sino Soviet Split and remained an important trade partner afterwards too. in you last map Tibet was still out of Chinese Control but I am sure that it has changed. India still had a lot to blame for the war in 1962 such as the disastrous forward policy, which led to posts being established well inside China. ITTL China needs all the friendly countries, or atleast trade partners it can get it can get, and they are not going get a better partner than India, who has more to fear from Nazism, which is communalism and would end Indian Unity and Communism still seems a lot tamer. Pakistan and India were the earliest non communist countries to recognize Mao's Peoples Republic so there's that and the fall of the Soviet Union makes Communism look weak and non threatening to the ill informed Indian Anti Communists.
I'm not sure what the Korean War question was meant to be.
Oops the Question was mistakenly posted below and answered by you.
I don't think the position of speaker would get that powerful, if such a multi-party system ended up solidified its more likely the far more powerful Presidency would push to change the Electoral College than give more power to the House Delegations.
I wasn't referring to the Speaker but a majority leader, say an informal Prime Minister like figure, who can dictate policy from behind.
As the Dutch government is reduced to Suriname and a house in London, they couldn't really refuse when the US recognized it for sake of pragmatism.
Well they can Say that the Dutch Carribean Islands are a part of Netherlands proper so they can eventually move to Dutch Territory.

TTL China needs all the friendly countries, or atleast trade partners it can get it can get, and they are not going get a better partner than India, who has more to fear from Nazism, which is communalism and would end Indian Unity and Communism still seems a lot tamer. Pakistan and India were the earliest non communist countries to recognize Mao's Peoples Republic so there's that and the fall of the Soviet Union makes Communism look weak and non threatening to the ill informed Indian Anti Communists.
I could see India being like Pakistan was OTL where it is both an American and Chinese trading partner and ally, but has an American lean due to the ruling elites still being concerned about what would happen if communists have much influence.

XXX - DONGFANG HONG
THE IRON EAGLE
DONGFANG HONG

1676153163276.png

A quick glance on the History of the Cold War, at least in it's initial phase, makes it easy for the student of history to miss the rise of a Third Bloc, but at the time the rise of Mao Zedong and his regime in China was hardly unnoticed in the United States, especially due to efforts of the McCarthyst campaign to show the rise of Mao as a rebirth of Communism, an ideology that many believed to have died with Iosef Stalin in 1947 during the fall of Novosibirsky. Efforts of the Russian government to whitewash the reputation of the Red Army, whose experience was vital for the Ural War, were reflected in America by centralizing all the blame of what happened to the Soviet Union on the shoulders of Stalin, Lenin and the Politburo. But in China the view was different, the fall of the USSR was hardly emphasized as a tragedy, indeed it only benefitted the struggle of Mao and ensured that only him would carry on the torch, the fact that many Soviet officials and Theorists preferred to dedicate themselves to the Revolution in Beijing was shown as evidence that China was meant to carry the torch of Marxism. Mao, son of relatively well-off peasants, would now become the paramount voice of Communism, for the fall of the Soviet Union opened up new opportunities that would never have been permitted if Moscow was still the leading voice of the Proletariat. Communism no longer focused on a fight in Industrial Cities and Urban Workers, although the push for Industrialization was still always present, Mao showed it instead as a Revolutionary Idea for the peasantry, the so-called Maoism, and as seen in places from Korea to Peru, the traditional marxist theory had changed and adapted into an Anti-Imperialist crusade by the rural people of underdeveloped countries waging guerrillas to overthrow Urban Capitalists. This Impact, which later in the books was shown as the rise of the Third Bloc of the Cold War, would only be seen in a larger scale during the 1960s, but for that one has to study the beginning of the People's Republic and how the torch was passed.

When the Sun touched the land in Sendai and the Japanese Empire fell, Asia was left devastated by a decade of struggle, if not more, From Indonesia to Manchuria, the final year of the war which began with Operation Sunset saw the death of an Emperor and a suicidal struggle against a worldwide coalition. But there was nothing but a deep sense of relief and Celebration all across China, Communists and Nationalists alike took to the streets to celebrate the end of a war which killed tens of millions, most of them Chinese. Famine, Hyperinflation and Devastation had ceased for just one day when Victory was announced. Japanese remnants would still continue partisan attacks, especially in Manchuria and Korea, for years but the heaviest part of the war was over. Peking, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Nanjing, so many cities were reduced to rubble by the retreating Japanese Forces as they were pursued by the Chinese Armies. Still they were able to inflict such heavy casualties that victories tasted like defeats, with tens of thousands dying only to capture cities reduced to rubble and fire, targeted with chemical and biological weapons alike as the IJA turned on their own collaborators out of a mix of fanaticism, paranoia and a dreadful sense of imminent death. In the Countryside, the Communists militias benefitted most as the IJA's little control completely collapsed and small towns saw them as liberators, or so the official history says.

The first pressing matter was the status of Manchuria. Puyi, the Emperor of Manchukuo and former Emperor of China, was still seated in Changchun with his brother Pujie, who was the de facto ruler following the coup on the 22nd of January, attempting desperately to reach a compromise with the US. Between the 22nd and 25th, and even afterwards until February, Japanese forces fought against the forces of Manchukuo, however most of them obeyed the orders of General Kita and stood down, most of them being retreating IJA forces from the Chinese campaign. In that chaotic couple of months where many were unsure whose orders they were to follow, the NRA halted it's push at the border of Manchukuo in order to repair the destroyed infrastructure in the area. Beijing became a point of contention as the forces of the Chinese Red Army, soon to be renamed as People's Liberation Army, had claimed the control of the city following the liberation. The tenuous alliance of the United Front threatened to collapse even while collaborationist forces still occupied one of the main industrial heartlands of China. During this impase where Chiang demanded that the NRA be allowed into the city, refusing to cede control of what was still the symbolic Capital of the Republic to Mao's Red Forces, the Manchurians attempted to reach to the Thurmond administration and play on the President's anti-communist and hatred of Chiang to invite American troops to secure the independence of a Manchu State. However, the proposal was declined, despite the fact the US collaborated with Japanese allies in Russia, they refused to alienate the Chinese by doing the same and supporting a puppet government of Japan. Pujie had hoped to reach an agreement similar to what Sukarno won in Indonesia, but that effort did nothing to delay the inevitable.

In February 1947, the Second Sino-Japanese War resumed as the Chinese forces advanced into Manchukuo against the demoralized garrisons and the local armies made up mainly of conscripts who had little stake in fighting for Puyi. Although the Manchu State could not be saved, the Emperor managed to secure to his family an escape route to Japan in return of standing trial, submitting himself to the future Tribunal of the Far East. The Conflict would end around March once Chinese forces reached the Yalu river, the Manchukuo rump state collapsed and the Civil War was about to restart once again, it was a conclusion that in hindsight all could see, but the Thurmond administration, fearing that a reignition of the war would threaten to spill over in the ongoing Russian campaign, attempted to impose a peace agreement between Chiang and Mao through the Gauss-Hurley mission, named after the US ambassador to China Clarence Gauss and General Patrick Hurley. A ceasefire was imposed from above as both parties were in talks over a new Coalition Government, where Mao proposed to recognize Chiang as President in return for the end of the persecution of the Communist Party enacted by him. Mao was a man who knew very well how to play with the public opinion of the Americans, especially since the Ambassador despised Chiang. General Patrick Hurley and many Americans at the time fell into the trap of believing Mao was a man similar to Ho Chi Minh, a Nationalist fighting with a popular flavor who had little in common with communism other than name, a man they could cooperate with as it happened in the Indochina campaign, in fact the General claimed that Mao did a far greater effort in fighting the Japanese than Chiang did, claiming that the Nationalist leader had taken the credit for the successes in the Three Rivers campaign that were in many ways atributed to the actions of the Communists. The Ambassador believed Mao was a better alternative for the US to deal with than the arrogant and increasingly unpopular President of China, yet he still desired to keep the appearance of neutrality during the mission. The greatest consequence of this mission was the fact that during the negotiations for it, the sale of weapons to the depleted NRA was suspended by the US, alongside other measures of economic and military support.

Between 1948 and 1952, China would end the last deathly phase of the Civil War, the failure of the Gauss-Hurley mission and the breach of the Ceasefire would lead to the attack by the NRA against Mao. But before that, through 1947, the fall of Manchukuo would lead to a race by both parties to capture the rich Industrial lands of Manchuria, which is where the suspension of US support came to hit the NRA the most. As Patton's Russian campaign progressed and the tales of Stalinist atrocities returning to the US led to uproar, the USAAF began to move more assets towards the North, which hindered the Airlifting campaign of the NRA and allowed the Communists to consolidate control over the Manchurian countryside and most of it's largest cities, even sometimes including deathly sieges. There was hunger in China, the infrastructure devastated by a decade of war and scorched land left the Nationalist government vulnerable, especially as corruption only grew as the funds required for the reconstruction seemed to disappear, many believing the influence of Chiang's wife, the Finance Minister and Premier T. V. Soong and the so-called "Four Families" continued to creep inside the government to make sure that even weapons needed for the National Republican Army disappeared into the Black Market. Inflation skyrocketed, the countryside was left abandoned in many areas and Mao's rhetoric of a radical agrarian reform sounded more and more tempting to the 80% of the population of China made out of poor rural peasants. The Ceasefire allowed Mao to consolidate his hold over Northern China and even start the reconstruction of Beijing, mostly as a piece of propaganda as many saw the abandonment of the Chiang administration and it's contrast with the efficiency of the CCP. It also helped the fact Mao was able to seize many Japanese weapons deposits during the offensive, most of those in Manchuria still left intact due to the suddeness of the New Year's coup and the retreat of the IJA into the region. Now with around a Third of the country under his control, Mao's power had to be challenged, and so Chiang broke the negotiations in March 1948 after a year of unproductive talks.

First came two main offensives of the NRA, aiming at Yan'an and Beijing, the center of command and symbolic capital of the Communists respectively. But defections warned the the Chinese People's Liberation Army of the enemy's advance. Lin Biao, commander of the Red forces, employed a strategy of passive defense, at times surrendering control of major cities to the larger Nationalist forces and wearing them down through attacks in the Countryside and taking control of smaller towns. Despite the NRA's initial successes, the social situation to the Nanjing government went from bad to worse, to the point that in some places the offer of a simple meal lead to thousands defecting to the Communist Forces. Millions of troops on both sides clashed through 1948 and as 1949 came, so did a new government in America. Huey Long, the new POTUS, was a man who saw the foreign intervention in China as a distraction at best and a conspiracy of weapons manufacturers at worst, it did not help the fact Burton K. Wheeler was the Secretary of State, guiding the New President's foreign policy with the same hesitation he had when he had the White House between 37 and 45. Thurmond had given support for Chiang in 48, with the end of the Russian expedition leading to a resumed flow of weapons and financial help to Chiang, while the Kuomitang's Generalissimo finally fired T. V. Soong from his Ministry following the hyperinflationary crisis. Long cut that support within the first month of his government, deciding to leave China to it's own devices and not desiring to taint his reputation by supporting a "Self-Centered Warlord" halfway across the world after half a decade of fighting in Asia.

In 1949, the Communists seized the initiative, launching the Liaosheng campaign and capturing all of Manchuria, finally achieving a numerical parity with the NRA. The hesitation of Biao and the PLA's generals was contrasted with Mao's boldness, believing that the end of US support for Chiang would give them the decisive advantage. Furthermore, Mao was supported by new backers from the North. Tens of thousands of Soviets, officers, technicians, soldiers, party members and even former MGB officers had fled from Russia after the fall of Mao and the surrender of the Red Army troops, those who held a greater loyalty to Communism than to Russia itself desired to help the rising Red Star, seeing Asia as the future of the Revolution started in Moscow and a base from where Russia could be retaken from the Reactionary Whites. Chief amongst them was Soviet Marshal Vasilievsky, former supporter of Stalin who defected following the Marshal's agreement with Patton. As a former figure of the Interwar Stalinist regime, he still kept contacts which helped smuggle support to Mao, arriving in early 1948 to support the PLA's war effort by serving as an Advisor alongside a group of former Soviet officers known as "The Russian Clique". A man experienced in over a decade's worth of warfare, Vasilievsky supported Mao's bold strategy, identifying the weaknesses of the NRA such as the lack of supplies and low morale, something he was far too familiar with as a Soviet officer.

Between 1949 and 1952, Three large-scale offensives were launched which shattered the NRA and it's resolve to fight, millions fought across Northern China in the lands poisoned and burned by the IJA. Once triumphant in marching to the North, the Kuomitang's forces now retreated in defeat while social tension and paranoia grew in the still rebuilding capital, studends were seen by Chiang as a fifth column, infiltrated communists, strikes and protests were harshly cracked down to the point hundreds would die between 1950 and 1951 in such marches. Mao was seen as a more attractive alternative, although many new defectors would be quickly shocked by the brutality of the PLA, as Mao's tactics of capturing the countryside and sieging large cities led to the starvation of over 3 million civilians between 1947 and 1952. By the time Nanjing fell in December 1951, during an unexpected winter offensive that crossed the Yangtze river. The fall of the Capital led Chiang to flee to Guangzhou, while the PLA secured vast swatches of China, soon enough the Kuomitang was in an unrecoverable position and many proposed for Chiang to flee to Taiwan. First he refused and fled westwards to Chengdu, perhaps hoping to repeat the resistance made against the Japanese, but a Civil War is completely different from a foreign invasion. He attempted to mobilize supporters from Tibet, but those proved insufficient against the sheer advantage of the PLA and the lack of experienced troops following the defeat in the Northern campaigns forever changed the balance of the Conflict. Finally, in March 1952, Chiang called for a retreat to Taiwan, but in his way to the Island, his transport plane would be shot down over Fuzhou, beheading the leadership of the Generalissimo (although he had stepped down from the leadership of the KMT months earlier).

Finally, on the 1st of May, choosing a symbolic day for the Communist calendar, Mao proclaimed the new People's Republic of China, the PRC, in the rebuilding city of Beijing. Despite fears of his safety, the event happened without incidents, beginning an new Era to all of Asia and reigniting through all the world the fear of the Communist Specter, which now ruled over roughly a fifth of the world's population and one of it's largest countries. The Kuomitang still kept fighting, through guerrillas in Yunnan until the late 1950s, while the resistance on the Islands would fall to the invasion of both Hainan and Taiwan later that same year. Only the American fleet could have prevented such attack, but there was no desire by the Long government to interfere on the Chinese conflict, declaring that Taiwan was a legitimate territory of China. Even before Taipei fell, the United Nations decided to recognize Mao's PRC as the legitimate Chinese State out of pragmatism. Further military campaigns in the follow up of the civil war included the conquest of Tibet, which not only was accused of supporting Chiang's War effort, but also it was out of ideological reasons, opposing a Feudal Theocracy, and finally to secure the control of the Himalayan mountain passes and the springs of some of the most important rivers in China including the Yangtze and Yellow rivers. Initially there were tense negotiations, but a quick military action was able to "convince" the Regency of the Dalai Lama to accept the terms offered by Mao, being incorporated into China while keeping a level of Religious autonomy.

1676123746157.png

1953 arrived and so did a new era for both China and Socialism. Without Moscow, Mao was free to issue his own directives of how his nation, and ideology, should be organized from that moment on. Soviet Communism was always focused on the more mainstream Marxist thought of an Industrial proletariat, a revolution made by Urban workers and brought outwards into the countryside, a policy that also brought terrible consequences under Stalin as he purged the Kulaks in 1929. Mao, especially after the Long March, held a much different view which did not reject industrialization but changed the emphasis of the Revolution to Peasants. That was an idea far easier to achieve in a country where cities were devastated and most of the population lived away from them in the fields. Which is why the Land Reform was the first priority of Mao's government with the War against the Landlords, the Revolution sweeping all across the continental-sized nation through the fields as the Party began the redistribution of lands into collective farms. Needlessly to say, as with many of Mao's policies, hundreds of thousands would suffer, if not millions, the milennia of control of the countryside by large Landowners in China was broken as the Communist Party began it's crackdown, a Classist Genocide as some called it, lynchings were far from uncommon but the majority of the Landlords, as well as former Kuomitang associates would be brought to work in a system not very different from the Soviet GULAG system, the Laogai system of forced labor, emphasizing "Justice through Labor" to correct the ideological mindset of the ruling classes, although in practice anyone who was considered a Reactionary was sent there, including former poor soldiers of the Kuomitang or even just family members.

On the outside, China would see the conflict in Korea arise as the country descended into Civil War. The Korean Peninsula had enjoyed a short honeymoon in the late 1940s with the end of Japanese domination, exiled political parties and leaders would flock to the country with the idealistic spirit of rebuilding their nation. It was similar to how many Russian Whites went for Vladivostock in the hopes of rebuilding a post-Bolshevik Russia. Initially the United States gave it's support to the endeavor, the creation of the People's Republic of Korea on the 28th of January of 1947 was the beginning of a new age, although the nascent country would struggle to be born as many Japanese officials refused to accept the surrender, many claiming that the betrayal of the Collaborators in Manchukuo had to be avenged, as well as the spill of the Emperor's blood in Nagano. A Garrison of over 200 thousand soldiers which continued to fight during the so-called "Patriotic War" or "The Die-Hard campaign" as the Americans called it. General MacArthur collaborated with Korean forces and the growing resistance movements to crush the Japanese as the Rouge Elements were accused of treason against Emperor Akihito. The campaign, similar to the Manchurian invasion by the Chinese, was part of the Post-War phase of the Pacific War (although most historians do consider it a part of the war, for sake of simplification the surrender following the destruction of Sendai is considered it's end officially), with American forces launching several landings around the Peninsula while Korean Partisans flooded the region, taking over much of the countryside from the control of the IJA's forces. One major aspect of this war was the enormous delivery of weapons, both American and Japanese guns were delivered to the Partisans while other groups were directly armed by the US forces for the landings as there was little desire to further prolong the conflict in the region.

The Japanese resistance was short but just as relentless as it was in other areas, General Yoshio Kozuki refused to recognize the surrender, in fact there was a plan of his' to kidnap the Emperor from the Home Islands with the help of other loyalists in order to bolster the morale of the resistance forces. He was not fully unreasonable as he accepted negotiations, but the terms were so laughably outrageous that they were never given more than a glace by President Strom Thurmond's White House. Between February and March of 1947, a brutal campaign happened as the Japanese conscripted locals in forced labor battalions and "Volunteer" militias, in a way very similar to what happened in other parts of Asia. However, the crippled morale, loss of the food sources in the countryside, the bombing campaign and the capture of costal cities quickly led to the local IJA officers assassinating General Kozuki and surrendering officially to the allied forces. The 26th of March would be then called "Liberation Day" from that moment on, the idealistic foundation of the PRK happening right afterwards with the City of Seoul declared as the Capital with Cho Man-Sik being chosen as Provisional President. American forces did not stay long beyond overseeing the demobilization of Japanese elements as most of the troops were demobilized, while the Korean Army was established and it seemed like a stable democracy would grow in the area as both Cho Man-Sik and Lyuh Moon-Hyung, hoped, but that dream would be shattered just as quickly as the Constitutional Convention came.

There was no shortage of ideas, from a Communist State to even models inspired by the successful conquests of Adolf Hitler, but both Founding Fathers hoped to achieve a consensus, creating a Parliamentary Republic with a Presidential Head of State and a Prime Minister as Head of Government, inspired in the British system despite the fact more right-wing and center-right sectors supported the American Presidential System. The First elections would be called in July after the publishing of the Constitution and the initial attempts of creating a Big-tent party, the "Korean Peasant-Labor Party" by left-wing sectors were fiercely opposed by more center-right groups supportive of Kim Gu (Also known as Kim Koo) and a rival Government-in-Exile which merged with Cho and Lyuh's more left-wing movement for sake of a united coalition against the Japanese during the War. Cho was made President while Lyuh became Prime Minister and Kim formed the "National Democratic Action" a movement formed of divergent right-wing parties which stood in opposition to the Two Founding Fathers. Despite being called "British System", there were significant divergences from Westminster, such as an unicameral house and the lack of properly established traditions and rules. Yet that model could have worked if not for the intervention of the Thurmond Administration, as many claim that the OSS did give support for Kim Gu and his Coalition, especially thanks to the contacts established with one of the leaders of the small "Korean National Association" Syngman Rhee. The financial support of the US did help in creating a fractured mess of a Assembly in 1947, the Peasant-Labor Party had the plurality and the National Democratic Action theoretically had a majority, but Kim was unable to win the election for Prime Minister as many within his coalition joined in supporting a Third Party, as no one was able to elect a clear majority, the Assembly was paralyzed in an endless electoral cicle for Three months as every weekly meeting ended up in another stalemate. Lyuh finally would resign as Prime Minister in October and, as a result, a new election was called which this time gave Kim Gu a majority and made him Prime Minister of Korea.

He would last 16 months, a record as many would see, most of the time being the constant arguments in favor of new constitutional reforms to establish a Presidential system and sideline left-wing sectors. All while radicalism grew in the Countryside entire swatches of land were falling under control of bandits while the Government struggled to establish it's institutions due to the infighting. Kim was seen by many as nothing less than an American puppet, others claimed President Cho was being complacent and betrayed the original ideals of the Republic due to the lack of a proper land reform. Kim Gu feared that the issue of Land Reform could tear apart his coalition as several right-wing sectors refused to support the proposal of a Reform beyond the bare minimum of seizing lands from former Japanese Collaborators. Communists would seize the chance and by 1948, there were parts of the country already forming communal farms as militias of the so-called "Peasant Leagues" took the matter of Land Reform in their own hands through mass lynchings and the redistribution of land, the Police sometimes being even sympathetic, while on other times they refused to engage out of fear as the movement was led by experienced guerrilla fighters who seized weapons from both American and Japanese deposits.

Order was lacking in Korea and the stalemate between the President and Prime Minister would lead to the latter finally making a call for a General Election, which is where the Article 29 of the Korean constitution came into play, the President could not refuse a call for General election by the Prime Minister, a fatal flaw for Constitutionalism which was approved as many of the Korean exiled leaders feared a strong executive power due to the experiences in both Japan and China. But surprisingly for Kim, he could no longer count on his American backers, the election of Huey Long and his swearing in ceremony coincided with the Electoral campaign in Korea, a radical change of policy made by Secretary Burton K. Wheeler and the President meant that the United States was no longer interested in meddling with Korean affairs, besides Long had more of a sympathy for center-left groups who openly spoke of admiring him, which was a matter for his own Ego. As a result, Kim would fall into disgrace, to the point of losing his own seat as a Coalition of left-wing parties won. Most surprising of that was the fact the Worker's Party of Korea, a Communist Party, would quickly become the second most powerful force of the coalition behind only the Peasant-Labor Party. Led by Pak Hon-yong, the Communists were a growing political force as they ran the platform of a radical land reform and were very closely connected with the communes organized by the Peasant Leagues which did a lot of work to ensure the population of the communes overwhelmingly voted for the Communists. Rhee saw them as little more than dangerous bandits following the ideals of the former Stalinist regime, but Rhee was not the only figure of the fragmented National Democratic Action which gained relevance as a more radical group grew to oppose the Communists: The National Action.

Names of Korean organizations get confused, but the National Action was a group formed by Lee Beom-Seok after the war which was made to oppose the Peasant Leagues, it called for a reaction of the Korean Nation against Communism, Complacency and Corruption, the Three "C" which were enemies of the Nation. The group formed militias, some even armed up by the OSS in 1948 and receiving the tacit approval of Prime Minister Kim Gu, but they would only grow stronger in 1949 as the economy continued to struggle, reflecting the aftershocks of the American "Little Depression" in 1948, the growing weakness of the Chinese Republic and the fears of investors of going to Korea as the Leagues continued to occupy large parts of the country in communes. The Assassination of President Cho by a disgruntled Peasant frustrated by the failures of the Government to enact a proper Land Reform policy would only throw fuel into the fire. Some claim the Korean war started with the clashes that year as the Youth League, the militant wing of the National Action which held rallies oddly inspired by the Reich's grand parades at Nüremberg, clashed against the Communist militias. Many times, landowners called the services of the Youth League to oppose coming Peasant League forces.

In 1949, Pak Hon-Young was made Prime Minister, the condition of joining a coalition with the Peasant-Labor Party, with that he approved a radical policy of Confiscation of land in the country that set the countryside in flames. The National Action called the measures as the first step to the installation of a Communist Country, a fear which was spreading in Urban areas ever since the discovery of Stalin's atrocities in Russia and the arrival of Russian refugees sharing said stories. Once the proposal narrowly passed, Rhee and Lee would lead a boycott of the Assembly as roughly half of it's members walked out, preventing a quorum to be reached for further constitutional reforms to the point the Youth League threatened several moderates to not go to the proceedings. At this time, several politicians were assassinated between 1949 and 1950 as many killings were retaliated by Communists, the country was falling into chaos that year until, after 4 months, Prime Minister Pak was pressured to call a new General Election.

This time, in protest to the inactivity of the government in suppressing the Youth League and for the betrayal of the Peasant-Labor Party for demanding Pak's resignation, as the former PM accused during campaign speeches, the Communists ran their own campaign in the streets, a campaign of intimidation and even straight up shootouts that resulted in hundreds of deaths. The Worker's Party reached a record high with a Third of the seats, mostly at the expense of the moderates as Pak was elected as President with Ho Hon, another prominent Communist, becoming Prime Minister. That owes to the boycott of the elections by some right-wing groups and widespread fraud enacted in the areas controlled by the Peasant Leagues. Ho proposed that Pak called for Martial Law as Commander of the Korean Armed forces and cracked down on the Youth League, but as he tested the ground for such idea, he would quickly realize that a Martial Law would likely lead on the Army turning on him instead as the armed forces were being increasingly connected with the right-wing groups. Ho's Premiership would last 5 months before his resignation as once more the elected members of the right-wing parties refused to attend the Assembly meetings or important votes, even moderates joining in on accusing the Communists of Voter fraud. Ironically, the supporters of the Presidential system now were opposed to it as Pak was President, while the increasingly frustrated communists demanded greater powers for the President to enforce their policies. Pak and Ho attempted to enforce the Land Reform bill and it did indeed work on some occasions, but whenever met by resistance, the Police was simply not equipped enough to engage the Youth League and the military had a mutinous atitude when it came to cracking down on right-wing sectors.

1676154544275.png

When 1950 came, the Communists were swept away from power once elections came again, called by Ho and Pak in hopes that the continued boycott would allow them to attain a majority. But surprisingly the election gave victory for a broad anti-communist coalition which included all parties of the opposition and even the Peasant-Labor Party. An unholy coalition between Lyuh, Rhee and Lee would lead to the Communists losing their position, despite becoming the largest individual party of the Assembly. Lyuh was made President and Rhee became Prime Minister, but while the Prime Minister once had support of the Thurmond Administration, that was not the case with Long. In fact the leader of the Korean National Association would begin to suffer as his more authoritarian approach made him clash with moderates and center-left figures of his coalition. As part of the agreement, Rhee called for a Constitutional revision in an attempt to end the endless electoral circles by allowing the President to refuse a call for elections and enabling the same Assembly to choose a Prime Minister after resignation, instead of having to call another election. This was actually a proposal agreed by many parties, but the Communists did not wish to see it passed while a coalition which opposed them was in power. Yet the proposal still passed and at least Lyuh did not have to worry about another Presidential election if Rhee resigned, which he ended up doing after the Peasant-Labor Party opposed the revisions to the Land Reform bill which were deemed too "Reactionary" and left the coalition.

So, between 1950 and 1953, successive governments attempted to tackle the Land Reform issue, but not only that, also several economical and social reforms were put into question. The divisiveness and infighting of the Korean Independence movements and the idealistic attempt of merging them only created a divided nation which was openly fighting itself by the time Mao came into power. The victory of the Chinese Communists only emboldened the Korean Worker's Party, which organized the Peasant Leagues into the new "Korean People's Liberation Army" (KPLA) as a clear inspiration from Mao, centralizing the command of these forces in what seemed to be a planned takeover. The Youth League were only emboldened by the growing radicalization as Lee would finally have his turn as Prime Minister in February, passing the "National Defense Act" which raised the League as an auxiliary police force and massively increased the funding of the Police by allowing them to carry the same armaments as the Armed Forces. But what was about to cause an explosion was the proposed "National Security Act" which banned the Communist Party, shortly before it's vote, President Lyuh vetoed the proposal in a bold show of executive power, that decision would lead to his assassination by a radical on the 4th of March 1953, and the gunshot by a local fascist-supporter would finally provoke the coup.

Colonel Paik Sun-yup, the Commander of the Seoul garrison and a known anti-communist, acted on the 7th of March before Lyuh even had his funeral. At night a violent move struck the government buildings and the headquarters of the Worker's Party, with the Colonel finding an intriguing loophole: The Constitution never specified that the Prime Minister had to be a member of the Assembly, it was only presumed to be so but lawyers can be quite flexible with a gun to the head. The National Assembly was summoned by emergency at night with Lee declaring his resignation and proposing Paik to become the new Prime Minister of Korea, a move which was overwhelmingly approved and the few Peasant-Labor politicians who voted against it would be called outside and audibly shot to the horror of the assembly members. The Bloody night was far from over, with thousands of Communist party members including Pak being captured and rounded up, being given show trials and executed for conspiring a coup against the State, ironically. The National Security Act was passed with amendments, greatly empowering the office of Prime Minister while abolishing the position of President, making Paik the new Head of State and Government, as well as Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. Martial Law was declared in the morning by radio and sound cars as army units marched into the streets, newspapers being closed as both freedom of speech and assembly were abolished. All political parties were declared defunct and all paramilitary forces disbanded (although the Youth League at this point was incorporated into the Police Force), with the members of the Red Guards being given 24 hours to surrender to military authorities.

1676160718365.png

The execution of Pak Hon-yong, banishment of the Worker's Party and the disband order never had a real chance of not backfiring, Paik was well aware of what the consequences would be, but he believed a decisive action was still necessary to save Korea from the dangers of Communism. Kim Tu-bong, one of the leaders of the Worker's Party and in close contact with the Chinese, was with Mao in Beijing when the news came of the coup. He was assured all the backing necessary in monetary and military resources by Mao to defeat the Putsch and the Reactionaries, in fact he had the opportunity to appeal to moderate elements who were terrified of the massacres against suspected communists around the country which were still ongoing. Smuggled back through the Yalu river, he found himself as the most Senior leader of the Worker's Party after the death of Pak, declaring himself Chairman of the People's Republic of Korea. In a Manifesto hurriedly prepared and sent by the end of the deadline, Kim Tu-bong denounced the coup and the failed system of the Republic which betrayed it's people by falling into the hands of Fascist and Reactionary elements linked with former Japanese collaborators. The "March Manifesto" would officially start the Civil War as two rival governments existed in the Peninsula. Much of the North and East of the country was already in control of the Communists including the countryside, but they failed to capture most of the larger cities due to military garrisons with the exception of Hamhung and Chongjin in the North, the former being declared the temporary capital. A quick election gave the result everyone expected with the Assembly being vastly overwhelmed by the communists with a few moderates included.

Initially, the army was overwhelmed by the offensive of the communists in several areas, including the use of Maoist tactics by capturing the countryside and starve out larger cities. Colonel Paik's regime had alienated several centrist supporters and some argued Kim was a more moderate alternative, especially as peasants flocked in reaction to the massacred conducted by the Military. But similarly, the Communists engaged in their own attrocities by enacting a radical land reform on the areas they took, which included the execution or imprisonment of tens of thousands of Korean Landlords similarly to Mao's system. Mao was very interested in the success of a Korean revolution, which is why Kim was instructed to occupy the Northern part of the Peninsula along the Yalu river, resulting in the capture of Sinuiji at the Chinese border, from where "Workers" crossed the border at the invitation of Kim to work on "Construction projects", workers being an euphemism to Chinese troops and Construction to "National Construction" which meant Revolution. Weapons and supplies flooded in and soon enough Pyongyang, one of the largest Northern cities, was under siege, left to starve until the garrison surrendered on the 19th of May. Quickly things were falling apart until Vice-President Patton and Secretary of State Dean Rusk advised Long to intervene and prevent the fall of the Seoul Regime, as much as Paik was far from the ideal figure at the moment, reports from Japan warned about the potential for growing Labor unrest if the Korean communists were to succeed. He did not declare war, out of fear of escalating a conflict with China, but instead he contacted the Seoul Government which accepted the support of American "advisors".

The War would begin to slow down after the failure of the Seoul offensive by the KPLA in June, the well-timed arrival of American advisors and the delivery of military equipment halting the advance of the Militias. However that would be only the beginning of a prolonged conflict during the 1950s, and Mao was fairly busy in Beijing pushing for the first Five-Year plan to develop the country's industrial base, agrarian mechanization and finish the reconstruction of Chinese cities. Despite some Soviet advisors advocating for a greater industrial push at the cost of the agricultural economy, Mao disliked that advice, he saw China as the new front for Socialism while the Soviet approach failed. The Stalinist ruthless industrialization caused the weakness of the agrarian sector of the Union, which led to hunger and weakness that allowed the Reich to defeat the undersupplied Red Army, thousands of witnesses came to China telling stories of the hunger in Russia which Mao wished to avoid, claiming that a strong base of peasants was needed to make sure China would never starve in a war. This costed in the short-term efforts to industrialize the nation as the focus was towards the modernization of agriculture with improved fertilizers and tools in Communal farming, which Mao saw as a way to empower the peasants and form a firm base for the Revolution to consolidate in the Lower class by focusing on the Rural Class Struggle.

Next would come in one of the harsher aspects of Maoism, in 1955, Mao called for Intellectuals and leaders all over the country to address local problems and give recommendations to the government, calling for the "Bloom of a Hundred Flowers" of Chinese intellect. But when the letters came, the Secret Police used the good faith of the people to crackdown on all known dissidents as Mao cancelled the campaign and executed thousands of intellectuals all over the Country. Only the mainstream ideology, nicknamed Marxism-Maoism or just Maoism, would be allowed in the New China and the Chairman consolidated his ruthless rule over Hundreds of Millions, suppressing the rebel groups in the "Anti-Bandit campaign", intellectuals through the "Hundred Flowers campaign", The Upper classes through the "War on the Landlords", and all of that leading to tens of millions being sent over the decade for varying periods of "reform" through the Laogai system. There would be no opposition to Mao Tse-Tung and the PRC, his mass action methods consolidating his rule alongside the growing cult of personality around himself.

On the field of foreign policy, beyond the Korean War, Russia, Vietnam and India deserve a certain level of attention as each one of these neighboring states had different reactions to his rise and rule. In Russia, the fear of a red terror almost provoked an intervention against China, however the sheer devastation of the Civil War left the country too weakened to face a potential two-front war as no doubt Hitler would seize the chance to attack, as he almost did in 1951 before his death. Mongolia became the point of contention, or as the Chinese called it "Outer Mongolia Question", a territory still claimed by the PRC that was occupied by the Russians during the Chinese Civil War to prevent the communists from capturing it as a base to strike from the south. The Tsar's paranoia left a constant military presence which fought against communist "bandits" in the praires and desert of the country, in fact in 1954 an incident between the PLA and the Imperial Army near Arxan almost led to a full-scale war if not mediated by the US, Mao's "Agressive Defense" doctrines always left the Chinese military a bullet away from a total war against Russia and such tensions had to be relaxed. But Mao did not have an incentive to back down, Russia did in the form of the largest military force in the world desiring to commit a genocide against it's people. In 1955, Russia had to concede to Mao's demands by giving up on all claims and propriety once held by the old Empire and the Soviet government, including the base of Port Harbor and Manchurian railways, as well as greatly scale back on their support in Mongolia, in return for a non-agression deal, one which Mao could easily break at any time.

India and Vietnam were two nations that had mixed reactions to the Chinese victory, on one hand there was a level of apprehension in India after the annexation of Tibet, while the Vietnamese were always skeptical of a strong China considering their historical disputes and rivalries. Mao used of Pragmatism in both instances to secure a working relationship with other Asian states, especially as he was scaling up his support for Anti-Colonial movements. In India, a meeting would be made in 1957 by both governments, promising to work towards mutual benefit and friendship, with a joint declaration opposing both British colonialism and German expansionism, although there were still concerns over the borders in the Himalayans, there was no apetite for a war, for now at least. As for Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh's admiration for the United States clashed with concerns within the US due to the ongoing Red Scare that was more potentialized after McCarthy's campaign. Mao offered an alternative, proposing an agreement for mutual cooperation and to settle the disputes for the Spratly and Paracel islands, which led to an agreement between Beijing and Hanoi in 1954 as the Vietnamese searched for a stronger ally in the region and Mao wished to combat the isolation caused by his involvment in Korea. Furthermore, Beijing would also begin to sponsor anti-colonial movements in places such as the Malay peninsula and Congo, although that was still a small scale action compared to the greater interventions in the 1960s during the Colonial uprisings all across the "Colonial World".

Finally, there was the relationship between China and the Linz Pakt, which could be described as anywhere between hostile and complicated. Obviously in the propaganda, Rudolf Hess' Reich pushed the threat of China as Hitler's prophesied "Asiatic Horde", which did become one of the main ideological justifications for the Ural War, while also the Linz Pakt despised the Chinese push against colonialism, especially amongst the Iberians and Italy. On one hand it was benefitial when the Chinese supported guerrillas in Uganda, but on the other their constant threats against Portuguese Colonial holdings left Lisbon in an increasingly tight spot. Portugal was no doubt the country with the worst diplomatic position in the world, needing the backing of one of the Superpowers to defend against a Third rising power while also knowing that approaching Washington would threaten Lisbon and approaching Germania would threaten the colonies and economy. But despite all that outwards hostility, there was an odd understanding of both parties when it came to Russia, both Mao and Hess had disputes with the Tsar, in Mao's case it was the control of Mongolia in specific and the existence of a militarized anti-communist state at the border in General. Despite it's numbers, the PLA still could not fight the Tsarist forces alone, however if a war was to erupt, it would provide for a golden opportunity. When the War happened, Mao already knew in advance that it would begin, through underground contacts with certain sources in the Foreign Ministry. And so, the opportunity presented itself, but Mao, always the pragmatist, would use old Chinese wisdom, he had to be patient and await the right moment. Even if Russia was an enemy, the Reich was an even greater ideological rival and if they crossed the Urals and shattered Russia, who is to say they wont spread their influence into Central Asia? Or start agitating Muslim minorities in the West? On the other hand a total Russian victory means completely losing the chance to reclaim Mongolia. Better yet, why not collect the benefits from both sides?

And so, the Communist world was being reborn from the ashes of the Soviet Union, a Red Sun rising from the East under a new Chairman, one who could be far more dangerous than Stalin ever was.

Last edited:
And the darkness begins to fully consume Asia...
Also a question: What is the fate of Kim Il-Sung? Was here present here but under a different name? Did he die in the struggle against the Japansese? Or was he simply not notable at all in this timeline?

And the darkness begins to fully consume Asia...
Also a question: What is the fate of Kim Il-Sung? Was here present here but under a different name? Did he die in the struggle against the Japansese? Or was he simply not notable at all in this timeline?
The Kimmy we know wouldn't have been raised from out of nowhere by Beria and the Soviets, if he is to take power he has to fight for it. Right now is isn't much higher than a KPLA commander.