Pick your poison:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say that again and I will make the Nizan of Hyderabad be Emperor of India.
In a way (twisted way no very very twisted way) you could say that he is the rightful Emperor of India. They were the vassals of the Mughals and after the post of Emperor of India was abolished along with the Mughal Empire. The Nizam's never declared independence or any formal break with the Mughals so they can be considered to be the successor state of the Mughals and you may consider them to be the successor to the title of Emperor of India.

In a way (twisted way no very very twisted way) you could say that he is the rightful Emperor of India. They were the vassals of the Mughals and after the post of Emperor of India was abolished along with the Mughal Empire. The Nizam's never declared independence or any formal break with the Mughals so they can be considered to be the successor state of the Mughals and you may consider them to be the successor to the title of Emperor of India.
Don't tempt me, buddy, the Idea of an Indian Empire would be perfect to make this a proper dystopia.

You know, technically the Rajas of Satara (the erstwhile Chhatrapati, technical heads of state for the Maratha Empire or Confederacy) were also Mughal vassals, as the release agreement of Shahuji (from Mughal 'imprisonment'), the later Shahu I, stipulated that he had to swear vassalage to the Mughal throne as a condition of his release from Azam Shah's custody (the immediate successor of Aurangzeb as Muhammad Azam Shah). That is the reason why Maratha Chhatrapatis never really disputed Mughal claims to be sovereigns of all India, nor claimed equality with the Emperor in Delhi, despite their title of 'Chhatrapati' which equates to Emperor.

So even they, are strong candidates for the theoretical Indian Imperial crown, if your logic is to be followed.

You know, technically the Rajas of Satara (the erstwhile Chhatrapati, technical heads of state for the Maratha Empire or Confederacy) were also Mughal vassals, as the release agreement of Shahuji (from Mughal 'imprisonment'), the later Shahu I, stipulated that he had to swear vassalage to the Mughal throne as a condition of his release from Azam Shah's custody (the immediate successor of Aurangzeb as Muhammad Azam Shah). That is the reason why Maratha Chhatrapatis never really disputed Mughal claims to be sovereigns of all India, nor claimed equality with the Emperor in Delhi, despite their title of 'Chhatrapati' which equates to Emperor.

So even they, are strong candidates for the theoretical Indian Imperial crown, if your logic is to be followed.
Kaiser, my friend, there is nothing more to read here nothing at all.

I knew about Shahuji swearing vassalage but I forgot that even after Satara fell and was annexed under the Doctrine of Lapse in 1849, it's Royal family continued it's claim. But on the other hand the Nizam's survived and was the strongest and largest successor state and officially recognised by the British to be the foremost amongst Indian Princes by his exclusive style of His Exalted Highness. Satara did not survive past 1848 so their claim is on a weaker pedestal as successors of the ruling families of many a powerful former vassal state like Awadh or Bengal can claim the title and if you look closely you can probably even find people who can trace their ancestry back to Bahadur Shah Zafar.

Kaiser, my friend, there is nothing more to read here nothing at all.
While the rest of the reply makes some good points, it could still do without this condescension.

While we are talking of even deposed Mughal vassal states being elevated to imperial dignity, the rival Kolhapur Bhonsle branch continue to hold the imperial title of Chhatrapati, without any interruption. So instead of some deposed Bengali(no independent Bengal post 1765) or Awadhi noble, the Kolhapuri Bhonsles definitely hold an infinitely higher pedigree than them for an imperial title, no matter the level of any supposed British accorded honour.

Last edited:
Here is some discussion opportunity. Now that the war is over, which one of the three commanders and strategies of the German army was most effective against Chuikov and the Russians? Who would you have placed in command from the start?

1) Adolf Heusinger

2) Ferdinand Schörner

3) Walther Wenck