Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Maps: Pu'uloa City
Crosspost from my MotF Entry :biggrin:

TfnbNYQ.png

Last edited:
A metro system! I'd always heard that the metamorphic nature of the rock (which sits below a meager layer of topsoil) made it impossible to dig an underground subway. Is this elevated? At-grade? Or was I misinformed?

Imagine a mixture of this
A metro system! I'd always heard that the metamorphic nature of the rock (which sits below a meager layer of topsoil) made it impossible to dig an underground subway. Is this elevated? At-grade? Or was I misinformed?

Imagine a mixture of this and this.

While the British would have loved to shove it all underground to save space, it was too cost prohibitive to do so. The Barnes Street station takes up a ton of space because of the quadruple platform to accommodate both lines, as well as the bus terminal. It takes up an entire precious block of space. The horror!

Not to get too bogged down in the transportation of Hawaii, but given that the cost of importing gasoline is likely to be higher for the island ITTL, I wonder if the streetcar system in Honolulu 1) was built and 2) was able to stay viable. Maybe a lot more scooters and bikes, too. I get nervous just thinking about Honolulu traffic and it would be nice to think TTL is spared from the most incongruous aspect of "paradise."

There are also the remnants of several mostly agricultural rail lines around the islands. While some were done in by unavoidable natural disasters, I wonder if others might've fared better ITTL.

I mean, they could be electric...

Electric buses and cars in 1940? :winkytongue:

That's around when the streetcar was discontinued IOTL due to the subsidized importation of gasoline by the US government. I mean unless I missed something...did we get electric cars like WAAAAY early ITTL? :D

Not to get too bogged down in the transportation of Hawaii, but given that the cost of importing gasoline is likely to be higher for the island ITTL, I wonder if the streetcar system in Honolulu 1) was built and 2) was able to stay viable. Maybe a lot more scooters and bikes, too. I get nervous just thinking about Honolulu traffic and it would be nice to think TTL is spared from the most incongruous aspect of "paradise."

There are also the remnants of several mostly agricultural rail lines around the islands. While some were done in by unavoidable natural disasters, I wonder if others might've fared better ITTL.

Honolulu has no rapid transit system other than buses. There was never the capital investment (nor internal desire) to form a streetcar system in the nation's capital. Over in the former city of Brentford, the British had ample capital and ample desire to have a means of rapidly transporting their soldiers & sailors around the city (notice how PCM's Red Line goes into Old Town, which could be used by officers coming off of Cook Island, or to transfer marines to Cook Island to be loaded onto ships.) The entire network is designed to funnel men from the city (Red Line, Barnes St and Pohuli) to Haloa Station, which would provide them easy access to the Naval Base. Keaka Station is fairly new, built in the 1980s, which extended the city's reach to Queen's University.

In general, scooters and bikes are more commons across Hawai'i due to prohibitive costs of petrol importation. Those who live in Pu'uola are more likely to own a car. As for the agricultural rail lines, most are still in operation. The lack of trucks and motorised hauling results in a heavier reliance on rail. Most of them are run by British firms. Despite not being in the Commonwealth or a Crown Colony, Hawai'i in inexorably linked to the United Kingdom.

@Kanan Is there much space between Honolulu and Pu'uloa City given their relative proximity, or are they essentially one big urban agglomeration by this point, with each city's suburbs bleeding into each other?

Also, what does the rest of the former Puiluah Colony look like geographically? Are there distinct towns, apart from Pu'uloa City?

VT45

Banned
Electric buses and cars in 1940? :winkytongue:

That's around when the streetcar was discontinued IOTL due to the subsidized importation of gasoline by the US government. I mean unless I missed something...did we get electric cars like WAAAAY early ITTL? :D

Actually there were prototypes of electric cars as far back as 1884, so it’s quite possible.

Political Subdivisions of O‘ahu; Mayors of Hawaiʻian Cities
lsUJmSS.png

Kind of answering an earlier question but not really.

The Island of O‘ahu is the most populous island of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi. Two of the countries largest cities occupy the island, the capital city of Honolulu and the former British colony of Pu'uloa City.

The country is divided into four distinct political organisations, which do not share any overlap except at the highest level.

The most basic division is the "Mokupuni" which represents an entire island. Every three years each island will elect their own Luna Nui (Role similar to that of a Canadian/New England Provincial Premier or a U.S. Governor) using FPTP with a universal franchise. Each Luna Nui is offered a role on the Monarch's advisory council, although the position is largely symbolic due to the monarch's mostly ceremonial position.

The next largest division is the "Ahupuaʻa" (no relation to the earlier Hawaiian term) which can be roughly viewed as similar in scope to a County in the United States. Unlike in the USA, Ahupuaʻas only deal with areas of sparse settlement and they are governed by a Kai alakaʻi, whose role is very similar to the Luna Nui, but whose scope is limited to the territorial limits of their Ahupuaʻa. The Mokupuni of O‘ahu is divided into six ahupuaʻas (white, on map).

The next two divisions are conterminous with the western concept of a town and a city.

A "Hoʻonohonoho i nā kānaka" (light grey, on map) is equivalent to a town, where they elect a mayor to deal with the issues of the settlement. The size of these settlements is not determined by anything, and are normally organised by an agreement of the people living in the boundaries and chartered as such. They are not subordinate to any Ahupuaʻa, although they are subordinate to the Mokupuni. Only the monarch can create a new Hoʻonohonoho i nā kānaka, so all local petitions to do so must be passed to them.

A "City" (dark grey, on map) holds the same definition as it does in the west. They are large groupings of people and the economic hub of the surrounding areas. This definition is new to Hawaiʻi, as it has only been introduced after the Handover of Pu'uloa Harbour. As part of the terms of the handover, Brentford would transition into a City and annex the territory of the former colony, forming a single consolidated entity. Cities differ from Hoʻonohonoho i nā kānaka because they elect a City Council, which serves as the legislature of the municipality. With the Kingdom's adoption of this measure, Honolulu and Hilo were also made cities and granted broad self-governing powers. The three City Mayors form the "Ka Aha o na Lunakahiko" who are automatically given a seat in the House of Nobles for their term in office, giving them sway on the national stage.

hEOob7H.png

Do many cities in New England have a metro/light rail system?

Also, for the Handmaid's Tale rewrite : is there a New English constitution? Have any notable/major recent (since 1900) genocides happened? Is the NE/USA or NE/Canada border separated by fences, or is it just a modern US/Canada type situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.