Our Fair Country: The Commonwealth of New England

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Kanan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Zyxoriv Political Nerd; Biggest fan of O'Rourke

He's an anti-monarchist.

2. Great_Stag Monarchist. Existentialist. Liberal. Banned

Well he's lost my vote

3. Gladsome Well-Known Member

Ah, looks like we're getting the Suez Crisis, or something quite like it, now. Granted, without the pressures of the Cold War and American influence over the Commonwealth, I doubt Egypt's capacity to actually seize and hold the canal.

Also looks like the New Liberal reforms to the House of Lords never occurred, given that the Lords are still able to outright veto legislation.

Israel_Dan the Man likes this.
  4. puerto-nic0 Well-Known Member

"How a Brighton Mum stopped a terror attack"
    I'm intrigued. The IRA?
    I love all of these side-headlines, it really adds to the immersion of it all. I've accidentally clicked on an article a number of times.

5. HowAboutThisForAName Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

I certainly don't want to pry, but do you have any 'black swan events' planned? Trump was definitely a black swan of sorts for instance, and it could be argued that he completely changed the 'direction of our timeline' as a result. Unless such an event has already happened, like the Soviet election of Geoff Regan's pipping of Bernie. But I guess I'm asking if there's going to be something 'out of the blue' that'd throw all your viewers off kilter?

Israel_Dan the Man likes this.
  6. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

“Fire and Fury: The Warpath of Bernie Sanders”

I see what you did there.

7. Israel_Dan the Man Well-Known Member

So Kanan, is it possible that you will do a wikibox for Nigeria? After all, they are a commonwealth member and they did fight in Burma until 2008, so I was curious.

8. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

@Kanan how's the 2018 FIFA World Cup playing out ITTL?

9. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby! Donor

Bluntly, this wouldn't have persisted up until the present.

The veto of the People's Budget led to a constitutional crisis. If the Lords won, then the incredibly Conservative dominated Lords would be able to veto literally anything and everything vaguely radical.

And that's guaranteed a revolution. Now, if Kanan wants to do an authoritarian far-right Britain where revolts are crushed mercilessly, that's interesting in of itself, but as it stands, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Gladsome likes this.
  10. Kanan Ned Lamont's second wife Donor

He's a republican.

It's very common for Egypt to act like this. Just hasn't happened in awhile.

The House of Lords is reformed. This isn't an outright veto, they are simply throwing it back to the House because they object to the language that indicates Britain would cede border controls to Ireland in limited circumstances.

Indeed it's the IRA. They normally have some attack every month or so to varying degree of success.

In life, you don't exactly a giant warning sign one is coming.

;)

Nigeria left the Commonwealth at the same time as Canada.

I know nothing about soccer haha if I have free time I'll fine one research

Again - the Lords no longer have veto power. Perhaps I used the wrong verbiage. The intent was to show that Burnham is trying to deal with Northern Ireland in some way and the Lords are throwing some speedbumps along the way.

Remember this Britain views Atlee as the greatest Prime Minister in history and Thatcher never came along and dismantled the state.

Zyxoriv, ST15RM, ETGalaxy and 5 others like this.
  11. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

So now that Canada, the U.S., and Mexico (in our world) are hosting the 2026 World Cup, does New England join in (as part of the United bid) in this world

12. Lewie Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case let me just say, Down With Sanders, Up with anyone else.

Butter569 and Gladsome like this.
  13. MatthewFirth Well-Known Member

Probably not, since they are not as keen when it comes to soccer.

14. Israel_Dan the Man Well-Known Member

Wait, Nigeria left the commonwealth? Must have forgotten that. Is their GDP and living standard better than OTL? I hope yes.

15. MatthewFirth Well-Known Member

You mentioned Commonwealth Music Show a while back, we believe it's ATL's version of Eurovision. Could you tell us more about it?

Gladsome, ElectricSheepNo54 and Kanan like this.
  16. CoDurham Banned

Just curious, where is Bernie running and is there a more up to date map I could use that has the new ridings for CT?

17. Gonzo Poundshop Gaullist

I'm curious did the OTL Conservative Party New York Senator James L. Buckley or his brother William F. Buckley, Jr. (both of whom later lived in Connecticut) get involved in the New England political scene?

18. Kanan Ned Lamont's second wife Donor

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-of-new-england.434287/page-110#post-17069097

Bernie is running in the Vermont riding of Burlington :)

(note there is a blank version of the riding map for editing in that post)

They never move to New England.

Zyxoriv and Gonzo like this.
  19. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Phew, now caught up.

I noticed that the news article states that the UK has the 2nd highest government spending as a percentage of GDP in the western world.

Is there no Nordic Model ITTL, or does the UK have something like it?

20. Kanan Ned Lamont's second wife Donor

As I've noted, Thatcher never blew everything up, and Britain's government culture expanded to become the "British Model" of high taxes, high government spending. So everyone instead follows Britain's lead.

Niall, leecannon_, Great_Stag and 2 others like this.