Status
Not open for further replies.
"How a Brighton Mum stopped a terror attack"
I'm intrigued. The IRA?
I love all of these side-headlines, it really adds to the immersion of it all. I've accidentally clicked on an article a number of times.

Isaac Beach

Banned
I certainly don't want to pry, but do you have any 'black swan events' planned? Trump was definitely a black swan of sorts for instance, and it could be argued that he completely changed the 'direction of our timeline' as a result. Unless such an event has already happened, like the Soviet election of Geoff Regan's pipping of Bernie. But I guess I'm asking if there's going to be something 'out of the blue' that'd throw all your viewers off kilter?

So Kanan, is it possible that you will do a wikibox for Nigeria? After all, they are a commonwealth member and they did fight in Burma until 2008, so I was curious.

Also looks like the New Liberal reforms to the House of Lords never occurred, given that the Lords are still able to outright veto legislation.
Bluntly, this wouldn't have persisted up until the present.

The veto of the People's Budget led to a constitutional crisis. If the Lords won, then the incredibly Conservative dominated Lords would be able to veto literally anything and everything vaguely radical.

And that's guaranteed a revolution. Now, if Kanan wants to do an authoritarian far-right Britain where revolts are crushed mercilessly, that's interesting in of itself, but as it stands, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Where does Sanders stand on the Monarchy.

He's a republican.

Ah, looks like we're getting the Suez Crisis, or something quite like it, now. Granted, without the pressures of the Cold War and American influence over the Commonwealth, I doubt Egypt's capacity to actually seize and hold the canal.

Also looks like the New Liberal reforms to the House of Lords never occurred, given that the Lords are still able to outright veto legislation.

It's very common for Egypt to act like this. Just hasn't happened in awhile.

The House of Lords is reformed. This isn't an outright veto, they are simply throwing it back to the House because they object to the language that indicates Britain would cede border controls to Ireland in limited circumstances.

"How a Brighton Mum stopped a terror attack"
I'm intrigued. The IRA?
I love all of these side-headlines, it really adds to the immersion of it all. I've accidentally clicked on an article a number of times.

Indeed it's the IRA. They normally have some attack every month or so to varying degree of success.

I certainly don't want to pry, but do you have any 'black swan events' planned? Trump was definitely a black swan of sorts for instance, and it could be argued that he completely changed the 'direction of our timeline' as a result. Unless such an event has already happened, like the Soviet election of Geoff Regan's pipping of Bernie. But I guess I'm asking if there's going to be something 'out of the blue' that'd throw all your viewers off kilter?

In life, you don't exactly a giant warning sign one is coming.

“Fire and Fury: The Warpath of Bernie Sanders”

I see what you did there.

;)

So Kanan, is it possible that you will do a wikibox for Nigeria? After all, they are a commonwealth member and they did fight in Burma until 2008, so I was curious.

Nigeria left the Commonwealth at the same time as Canada.

@Kanan how's the 2018 FIFA World Cup playing out ITTL?

I know nothing about soccer haha if I have free time I'll fine one research

Bluntly, this wouldn't have persisted up until the present.

The veto of the People's Budget led to a constitutional crisis. If the Lords won, then the incredibly Conservative dominated Lords would be able to veto literally anything and everything vaguely radical.

And that's guaranteed a revolution. Now, if Kanan wants to do an authoritarian far-right Britain where revolts are crushed mercilessly, that's interesting in of itself, but as it stands, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Again - the Lords no longer have veto power. Perhaps I used the wrong verbiage. The intent was to show that Burnham is trying to deal with Northern Ireland in some way and the Lords are throwing some speedbumps along the way.

Remember this Britain views Atlee as the greatest Prime Minister in history and Thatcher never came along and dismantled the state.

Gian

Banned
So now that Canada, the U.S., and Mexico (in our world) are hosting the 2026 World Cup, does New England join in (as part of the United bid) in this world

CoDurham

Banned
Couple things are off, otherwise pretty decent.

1) Connecticut is still using the old ridings which are not in effect for this election.
2) Paul Tonko is the SDP candidate in the lead in Adirondack, and he represents Albany.
3) The Prime Minister is unlikely to lose his seat (Halifax West).
4) The Greens are slated to maintain their seat in western Massachusetts Bay, not gain one in Boston. Cabinet Minister Make Capuano is pretty popular in Ward 10 Boston, as is Linda Tyer in North Berkshire.
5) The Tories lead in Cranston, not Bristol—East Providence.
6) Joan Hartley (Labour MP for Waterbury) is both highly popular and has crossed the isle to the Conservatives.
7) Bernie Sanders is not standing for Ward 10 Brooklyn.

Just curious, where is Bernie running and is there a more up to date map I could use that has the new ridings for CT?

I'm curious did the OTL Conservative Party New York Senator James L. Buckley or his brother William F. Buckley, Jr. (both of whom later lived in Connecticut) get involved in the New England political scene?

Just curious, where is Bernie running and is there a more up to date map I could use that has the new ridings for CT?

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-of-new-england.434287/page-110#post-17069097

Bernie is running in the Vermont riding of Burlington :)

(note there is a blank version of the riding map for editing in that post)

I'm curious did the OTL Conservative Party New York Senator James L. Buckley or his brother William F. Buckley, Jr. (both of whom later lived in Connecticut) get involved in the New England political scene?

They never move to New England.

Phew, now caught up.

I noticed that the news article states that the UK has the 2nd highest government spending as a percentage of GDP in the western world.

Is there no Nordic Model ITTL, or does the UK have something like it?

Phew, now caught up.

I noticed that the news article states that the UK has the 2nd highest government spending as a percentage of GDP in the western world.

Is there no Nordic Model ITTL, or does the UK have something like it?

As I've noted, Thatcher never blew everything up, and Britain's government culture expanded to become the "British Model" of high taxes, high government spending. So everyone instead follows Britain's lead.

As I've noted, Thatcher never blew everything up, and Britain's government culture expanded to become the "British Model" of high taxes, high government spending. So everyone instead follows Britain's lead.

So, I assume, that a British government hasn't privatised LITERALLY EVERYTHING either.

So, I assume, that a British government hasn't privatised LITERALLY EVERYTHING either.

Let's just say that Britons mobile phone plans are run by the Government, and steel workers receive their paycheques from HM Treasury.

It's kinda hard for me to, off the top of my head, not name something that the Government doesn't either own or heavily manage.

Edit:

Think of the Superpowers like this.

Left: Soviet Union, State-owned Communism
Centre: British Capitalism of State-owned enterprise existing alongside a regulated market economy
Right: United States, Free-market capitalism with regulations and support of labour unions

Status
Not open for further replies.