Should we change this title to "The Big 4 comics industry"

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes but it will have to change when Image comics is formed?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Fawcett comics survives is a good title

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fawcett comics survives
  • View attachment 502987
    OK. So, just to clarify, DC gets an Earlier Zero Hour in place of Crisis and Fawcett gets Crisis instead in order to join the Golden and Silver Age Earths together. Plus it'd give a further incentive to do ''Whatever Happened to the World's Mightiest Mortal?'' With that in mind, we're still in the 70s so, what comes next?
    Ok everyone let's get back to the 70s
    PSX_20191117_144910.jpg

70s Crusader Squadron
    • Mr. Scarlet
    • Ibis the invincible
    • Moongirl ( redesigned to look like Cathy Lee Crosby's portrail )
    • Captain Star
    • Commando Yank
    • Bulletman
    • Bulletgirl
    • Avenger
    • Golden Arrow
    • Dove
    • Hawk
    • Question
    • Black Sentinel
    • Devil's Dagger

Fawcett comics survives
  • PSX_20191122_101924.jpg

In June of 72 Atlas comics got a cease and desist order from over Robert E. Howard's Kull the conqueror as the claims that the comic readers were getting confused as he had the same name as the Captain Marvel villain.
    The conflict would be settled quickly out of court as both parties had plans incase they lost and both decided they were actually good alternatives
    • Atlas comics decided that Kull wasn't a big enough comic to fight this lawsuit and Roy Thomas agreed to adapt Kulls stories in the pages of Conan the barbarian
    • Fawcett group agreed to regulate King Kull to Golden Earth where his Son Prince Kol becomes the new adversary for the Marvel Family

Last edited:
    Atlas comics
  • PSX_20191125_122736.jpg
    In 72 Stan Lee decided that that his idea for a feminist Heroine The Cat was to similar to Charlton comics New Purple Tigress Stan had an idea of going back to the well when Atlas was Marvel and looked for some old character he could bring in for the 70s and decided upon the Otto Binder created Miss America.
    Now named Ms America Stan Lee decided that if he made her Captain America's on again off again love intrest Sharon Carterhe would not have to worry about creating side characters and origin story as she worked for SHIELD and could get her flight, ad laser powers from there.

Fawcett comics survives
  • In April, Fawcett editor Otto Binder approached Ghost Rider Creator Gary Friedrich about bringing back his creation into a modern setting. Gary Friedrich who had already did so at Warren Publication with the Hell-Rider Magazine
    Hell-rider.jpg

Was hesitant about doing this but figured that going back to comics would widen his audience and give the spotlight to his creations and agreed if he could bring new Heroine Butterfly with him. Though her name would be changed for copyright reasons Fawcett would introduce the first black heroine in the third Ghost Rider story Bride of Mothman
    PSX_20191129_133331.jpg

Fawcett comics survives
  • mister_fear.gif

In July of 1972 Gene Colan and Wally Wood pitched Mr. Fear as a villain for Mr. Scarlet Fear would not only become a major villain for Mr. Scarlet but would antagonise The Question, and Creeper as well

Fawcett comics survives
  • @SonOfSharknado @brokenrobot00 I think their's is some confusion that I let get out of hand Jack Kirby's involvement ITTL is only really expanded because the Phantom Zone villains were butterflied away and the New Gods replaced them.Maggon should still be on Action Comics at the time.
    Secret Empire should be unaffected with the possibility of Xavier's school being attacked and Mr. & Mrs. Sommers being proactive in the storyline. But Yeah like IOTL Captain America is the only comic book making Watergate parallels...well perhaps Hawk & Dove brings it up

Fawcett comics survives
  • PSX_20191202_140047.jpg

In the July issue of Ms magazine Gloria Stienman wrote the article Women in Comics in which she interviewed
    • Violet Barclay
    • Linda Fite
    • Ramona Fradon
    • Trina Robbins
    • Tatiana Wood
    • Marie Severin
    • Dorothy Woolfolk
    • Mary Binder (as Linda Lee Danvers)
    The interview talked about the ladies lives their struggle in a Male dominated industry but mainly as a stealthy recruitment interview for a new comic company under Ms magazine (it doesn't go anywhere)

DC comics
  • With Sales falling in December of 1972 Dell comics founder George Delecorte Jr. Met with Gold key comics to merge companies the merger would allow the two failing companies to survive an extra year before getting absorbed by DC comics

Fawcett comics survives
  • I was trying to best describe Fawcett comics first event storyline but instead I decided to post some of the transcript of the
    Comic POP! Video of the storyline on YouTube
    screenshot_30_780x438_1.png

Welcome to Comic POP! I'm Sal
    I'm Ethan
    I'm Ben
    And I'm Tiffany​
    Sal: today we will be looking at Monster Society Attacks or Daleks vs Eternity depending on which Graphic novel you picked up
    Ben: wait there are 2 different titles?
    Sal: (sigh) Well from what I gathered part of the reason for this event is that Terry Nation was bringing back the Daleks back to Doctor Who after the MinuteMan series was canceled but they were being used in the comics and Nations gave permission to use them for one final story.
    Ethan So why the multiple titles?
    Sal: because when the Graphic novel of the story came out Fawcett didn't want to be sued by the BBC ...
    Ethan: Got it they renamed them for copyright reasons..
    Sal: They became the Monsteroids
    Image of Monsteroid flashes on screen​
    Ben: that looks hideous. Ha ha ha
    Tiffany: so I'm assuming that they got the rights back because..
    Sal: Well when Fawcett got the comic rights to Doctor Who in 1980 they republished the Graphic novel with the original pages and dialog.
    Ben, Ehan & Tiffany: Ahhh
    Sal: and in 1989 when Doctor Who was canceled they re printed the Monstroid version Again
    Ben : God damn it
    Sal: Anyway we start off at the Rock of Eternity..
    Tiffany: hold up.. have the Daleks ever fought the Marvel family before this?
    Sal: Yeaaaa No.
    Ethan: what ..then why have them get involved why not start at SaTURN compound?
    Sal: excellent question..anyway..no You see this was supposed to just be a MinuteMan story with the THUNDER agents guest staring and then Atlas had the Kree-Skrull war storyline and the heads at Fawcett said New Plan!!
    We're getting Everyone involved.
    Tiffany: so they had to rush some of Captain Marvel Storys to set this up huh?
    Sal: No (everyone looks surprised) it was decided that this story line would be used to help reintroduce The Monster Society of Evil.
    Ben: that sounds insane
    Ethan: This Story is going to be a mess isn't it?
    Sal: Yes Yes it is.
    Sal: So anyway we start off with Mr. Mind in his aquarium like cell when he and Dracula are plotting to break out
    Ethan: Wait Count Dracula is imprisoned in the Rock of Eternity?
    Tiffany: well he is public domain
    Ben: Yeah Ethan and if you're going to use Dracula you have to explain where he's been all this time
    Ethan: I guess..
    Sal: Well Titano shows up and break Mr. Mind & Dracula out of prison. & Mr. Mind crawls into Titanos ear (Sal doing an Impression of Andy Serkis portrail of Mr. Mind "excellent my pet come we have some friends from Skaro to thank for your control habilitator."
    Sal: and so the Marvel family bring in the Question and Ibis to help them figure out why Titano helped these two break out
    Tiffany: wait the combined wisdom of Solomon and Minerva could NOT figure this out?
    Sal: well...they needed to bring in those two in..somehow
    Ben oh I bet they were a lot of help
    Sal: (doing Dr. Orthius from Venture Bros) "MM.. I sense the Chimpanzee was Not working with his own free will!" Yeah man thanks for the help.
    Sal: cut to THUNDER headquarters where video surveillance showing portals breaking out such criminals as Dr. Sivana, Sibac, Dr. Gorgon, Jack O`lantern etc.. they had this scene I believe.. to show that SPYDER wasn't involved
    Ethan: yeah Ironmaiden is their like hey why am I not getting free .
    Sal: when MinuteMan & Noirlila appear yelling " Daleks are coming we need your help! "
    And so a portal shows up at State University...
    Ben : so this is how Hawk & Dove get involved huh
    Sal: Yeah I imagine fighting the Daleks like this caused a pacifist like Don his drug problem in later stories and they fight and they fight..Creeper shows up.
    Tiffany: Creeper is first to help Hawk and Dove?
    Ethan: well I can see it he is the city reporter he would show up during battle
    Sal: and so MinuteMan uses his time device to bring Spy-Smasher, Nomad, and Midnight to the Rock of Eternity but.. it's the Rock of Eternity from Earth Gold..
    Ethan: so that's how they introduce Golden Earth
    Sal: well we can't have mer humans taking down the Daleks we want to See the Marvel family and other superpowered beings take down the Daleks . And we are reintroduced to the Golden age Fawcett characters in which The Goldenage Ibis, Doc Marvel, Marvelman, Marvelwoman, and their android Manoquin agree to travel to their Earth and help out.
    Ethan: argh this is getting crowded
    Sal: meanwhile the Crusaders show up to help fight the Dalek team-up with the new MSA
    Tiffany: hold on why are the Daleks working with MSA?
    Sal: excellent question..anyway... no I believe they were stating that the Venusian worms were manipulating the Daleks...
    And agents of SaTURN & THUNDER FINALLY show up with two versions of Ibis and the Marvel family and they fight and they fight and Spy-Smasher gets killed
    Ben: wo Spy-Smasher dies?
    Sal well Sean Connery left 007 for the second time at this point and the hire ups decided that Spy-Smasher needed his own Roger Moore.
    Sal: and so Dr. Krownose, Avenger, and the Ibisess use science & magic to send the Daleks to a dimensional void and the Monster Society of Evil escape in separate directions. And so the Golden earth heroes shake hands with our earth heroes and go home
    Ben: that was insane
    Ethan: I think it would have been better as two different stories but.. republishing would have been a nightmare
    Sal: and there you have it .. you can find these on Amazon if you want
    I'm Sal
    I'm Ethan
    I'm Ben
    And I'm Tiffany
    Sal: see yeah

Fawcett comics survives
  • In January of 1973 DC, Fawcett, and Atlas made an unofficial crossover . Each comic featured writers Steve Englehart, Gerry Conway, and Len Wein, as well as Wein's first wife Glynis, interacting with Atlas, Fawcett or DC characters at the Rutland Halloween Parade in Rutland, Vermont. Beginning in Marvel Family #370 (by Englehart with art by Bob Brown and Frank McLaughlin), the story continued in Justice League of America#103 (by Wein, Dick Dillin and Dick Giordano), and concluded in Thor #207 (by Conway and penciler John Buscema)
    PSX_20191206_195641.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg

Fawcett comics survives
  • In January of 1973 Legion of superheroes suspended publication
    Dave Cockrum becomes the new artist for Teen Titans

Star Trek
  • In 1973 Gene Roddenberry meet with Lou Schemier to continue the Star Trek series as an Filmmation cartoon series, unfortunately due to salary negotiations with Leonard Nimoy and William Shantner the plans for a Star Trek animated series was canceled in production. Cells from the proposed series have been sold for $300.000.00 on Ebay 10387065_1.jpg
    and many of the proposed scripts were reworked into stories were reworked into episodes of Star Trek phase II
    ( Loriali Effect, Eye of the Beholder, Mudds Passion, One of our Planets is missing, Time Trap & Survivor)
    And extended universe novels (Yesteryear)

DC comics
  • With the X-men canceled the previous year choice was made to bring back Chief Niles Chandler to life. In the February issue of 1973
    PSX_20191207_141148.jpg
    In the same Month,
    Metal men was brought back from its cancelation in 1970
    71ZdQ0ZN9iL._SY500_.jpg

Fawcett comics survives
  • PSX_20191207_162210.jpg

Transcript from Derekwc on YouTube
    Moongirl is a TV series on CBS from 1973-1975. Moongirl is the dethroned Princess Artimis who uses her inherit Lunar powers to help the Earth from the forces of war that made the moon uninhabitable first appearing in EC comics Moon girl and the Prince in 1947 before getting absorbed by Fawcett Publication in 1953.
    Tennis superstar Cathy Lee Crosby plays the now Blonde alien Princess Artemis going by Claire Lune who is secretly Moon Girl working for government to help her new home from destroying itself. Now it was weird for the 1973 audience to see Moon Girl
    1. Blonde when she had been raven haired
    2. Working for a THUNDER style organization instead of the superhero teams Legion of superheroes or the Crusader Squadron, or
    3. With no appearance of her boyfriend the Courageous Captain Star in site
    However within its own standards this series is a good precursor to girl power action series like Charlie's Angels, Bionic Woman, and DCs own Wonder Woman.
    Dirk Benedict would costar not as Captain Star but as her handler/love intrest Simon Rogers, CIA agent Simon Rogers would appear apper in THUNDER agents issue 76 in November of 73 with him becoming the New Spy Smasher in issue 77
    Claire Lune herself would start to bleach her hair in the issue of Crusader Squadron #120 in 1974 and give THUNDER access to Lunar technology as a sign of trust in the pages of Courageous Captain Star & Moon girl #54 speaking of Lunar Technology as a pre-Star Wars scifi the effects can remind one of Logan's Run or My Favorite Martian fighting the likes of Ricardo Montebain, Burgess Meredith and James Woods as various mad scientist and Terrorist leaders
    In 1974 the season Elisabeth Montgomery takes on the role of Moon Girls arch Nemesis Queen Satania as sort of an Evil version of Samantha Stevens from Bewitched.
    The final season would have our Lunar Princess discover fellow Lunar refugees around America and train them into the Lunar knights an idea that would be setup when Moon Girl would be rebooted post Crisis in 1990 by Japanese writer/artist Naoko Takeuchi
    432-SeriesThumbnails_SM__400x320.jpg

Now I like this series. Yeah it was kinda tone def between goofy effect trying to promote feminism as serious issues but the heart was in the right place and had the show got a 3rd season with a bigger budget I think that the show could have been competition for its sister series it paved the way for.

Last edited:
    Fawcett comics survives
  • shazamlarge.jpg thumbnail.jpg
    In 1970 with the the Vietnam war becoming increasingly unpopular the heads of Hasbro decided to rebrand the GI JOE lineby making Joe a Adventurer first teaming him up with with the Six million dollar man tipoff Atomic man. When Mego made a deal with DC & Atlas to develop action figures based on their Superhero lineup Hasbro went to Fawcett to aquire the rights to Captain Marvel, and Bulletman into GI Joe's Adventure team with the addition of Mary Marvel, & later Isis having their own Barbie dolls. This alliance disbanded thanks to the 77 oil crisis. Both companies would meet up again in 82 and the Barbie Marvel doll is still a best seller

Last edited:
    Fawcett comics survives
  • 220px-Spider-Man_Death-of-Gwen-Stacy.jpg

In June of 1973 Atlas comics stepped up their game with Spider-Man after being the first mainstream comic to release a story without the comics code authority (because it was about drugs) by killing off Peter Parker's girlfriend Gwen Stacy marking the end of the Silverage of comicbooks.
    Stan Lee who was out of the country at the time of publication was furious over this decision causing writer Roy Thomas to leave Atlas comics

Fawcett comics survives
  • PSX_20191211_111801.jpg

Since Batman & Robin gueststarred on the New Scooby doo movies in 1971 Hanna Barbera had been trying to set up a collaboration With DC comics in 1973 the collaboration gave us Superfriends a series based on the Team Justice League airing on ABC from 1973-1978 the series stared
    • Danny Dark as Superman
    • Olan Soule as Batman
    • Casey Kasem as Robin
    • Shannon Farnon as Wonder Woman & Hawkgirl
    • Ted Knight as the Narrator & Flash
    • Norman Alden as Aquaman
    • Sherry Alberoni as Wendy (first season only)
    • Frank Welker as Marvin & Wonderdog ( first season only)
    • Jack Angel as Hawkman & Samurai
    • Buster Jones as Green Lantern
    • Wally Burr as Dollman
    • Michael Rye as Apache Chief
    • Michael Bell as Zan & Gleek (2nd season on)
    • Louise Williams as Jayna (2nd season on)
    Though Marvin & Wendy were short lived in the series both characters thanks to the Superfriends comics by Jack Kirby & show creator Alex Toth giving the origins of the Teen heroes which were to good for DC comics to ignore, and after they were dropped from the series Marvin Prince who is revealed to be the Son of the nurse Wonder Woman used the identity of when she came to Mans world would Show up in in Wonder Woman 201 as her Male sidekick, and Wendy Harris appearing in Detective comics 222 as Barbera Gordon's cousin who discovered Batman's secret identity and would be a love intrest for Robin.
    Rumor has it that Superfriends would have another series introducing their own version of the Injustice League with Ted Cassidy reprising his role as Black Manta, and Alan Oppenheimer reprising his role as Gentleman Ghost but with Warner brothers working on the Superman movie William Hanna & Joseph Barbera didn't want to step on their toes and instead worked on getting the Batman rights away from Filmmation. The collaboration between HB & DC would have Hanna Barbera slowly shift their comics license away from Charlton comics to DC

Last edited:
    Fawcett comics survives
  • After Steve Gerber left Atlas comics he was picked up by Fawcett and was put on their Superhero anthology series
    marvel_family_title_design_by_sjvernon_d9s1e8u-fullview.png

Issue 247 where he asked the question where did Talking Tawny come from? Gerber decided that tiger came from universe of talking animals and with the world building Gerber introduced Tawny the Tiger's Fowl mouth rival Howard the Duck who became instantly popular
    Howard_the_Duck_first_appearance.jpg

Fawcett comics survives
  • In February of 1973 Bill Everett creator of Namor the Submariner and the 2nd Mr. Scarlet passed away at the young age of 55. His final work would be the the premier of the horror magazine Tales of the Zombie by Fawcett Publication in August which also first appearance of the Fawcetts first Black Heroine Voodoo moth
    PSX_20191214_125606.jpg

Jack Cole did not take his death well which led to his decision to retire.