Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the op was talking about seeing panic buying the tortoise and the hare might also be a good starting point.

Mr. Tortoise builds up his emergency kit over time, he gets all he needs without depriving others or spending beyond his means.
Mr. Hare rushing out at the last minute trying to get everything at once.

Wells noted, wryly, that only the super-rich can be that damned entitled.
Wells is approaching the final form of Corporate Leader, forgetting who actually owns the company and what its actual purpose is. This can only end well.

I saw Jim haves similar thoughts but that is more understandable. Though it is quite funny to see someone who brought their way into Disney, fought existing management and made changes complaining about other people trying to do the same thing. Sure Jim's aims may be more noble (from a certain perspective) but it is still amusing to me.

Certainly the next decade is going to be a challenge for them if they keep those attitudes. Index Funds and Pension Fund investments were basically ignorable in 1990 for a major listed company, by 2000 they are going to make up a significant chunk of Disney's shareholders. Easy to dismiss 'super-rich' shareholders, much harder to argue with CALPERS or the investment funds of ordinary people. But a problem for a few years time.
But the idea of helping to remake the world in the same way he’d helped remake Disney held a strange temptation. Perhaps in a few years he’d revisit that line of thought.
Yep, Wells is flirting with a bad case of Corporate Megalomania if he thinks running a large corporation has that much cross-over with politics, plus 'remaking the world' is quite the ambition.

In the nicest possible way he either needs to have a failure to bring him back down to earth or move onto other things. Either way he has done great things for Disney TTL so I hope he gets to leave on his own terms, which almost inevitably means leaving when there are people still clamouring for him to stay.

Meta-Discussion: 1990
Setting the Stage 6: Can’t Touch This

1990, a brand-new decade full of promise and change! The neon 1980s are all but gone, but their lingering culture holds on, even as a new black lace and red flannel ennui starts to set in. Goth and Grunge are still underground scenes while Rap and Hip Hop have begun their unstoppable climb into the mainstream culture. The manic wealth-seeking capitalist boom time of the 1980s is settling into a slow, lingering recession.

Music in general is in the midst of a major transition, and at the moment it is all over the map. The sensual dance of the Lambada threatens to singlehandedly destroy American morality. MC Hammer vies with the B-52s, Sinead O’Conner, and New Kids on the Block for Billboard slots. Glam Rock is holding on for its dear life with Bon Jovi’s oddly apropos “Blaze of Glory” clinging to the charts.

Meanwhile, in another world, The Simpsons debuts on Fox as a primetime cartoon. Along with The Simpsons, Tiny Toon Adventures will debut and mark a new and exciting era in TV animation (one already underway in this timeline). Married with Children will appear as an anathema to The Cosby Show while the wacky world of the wealthy will be revealed to the unwashed masses via Beverly Hills 90210 and (in a more comedic vein) Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Many of the lingering hits of the ‘80s, like Miami Vice, Alf, and Pee Wee’s Playhouse, will end. Meanwhile, the surreal David Lynch series Twin Peaks will have the world asking “Who Killed Laura Palmer?” much as they asked “Who Shot JR?” ten years earlier. They will quickly get their answer – an answer that according to Lynch didn’t matter because that wasn’t the point – and with that revelation they will tune out and the show will die on a cliffhanger.

Qdac.gif

Makes just as much sense in context (Image source “gifer.com”)

The silver screen in that other world will be dominated by the “high concept” films that Michael Eisner so loved. Ghost, Home Alone, and Pretty Woman will rule the box office, as will Western Epic Dances with Wolves, borderline-campy Sci-Fi adventure Total Recall, and (in another hit for Schwarzenegger) the comedy Kindergarten Cop, which I have personally dubbed “the last ‘80s movie” (it begins with a shootout in a shopping mall wearing Members Only jackets for one). Jim Henson’s Creature Shop will amaze audiences by bringing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to life. And despite a mind-numbing blitz of saturation-marketing, the horror/comedy Arachnophobia, advertised as a “Thrillomedy”, underperforms[1].

220px-Arachnophobia_%28film%29_POSTER.jpg

Sure to be a big hit

In the world, East and West Germany, divided since the end of World War II, will reunite following the fall of the Berlin Wall the year before, a joyous symbolic end to the Cold War that had dominated the world order for decades. The world breathes a huge sigh of relief with the possibility that Humanity just might not drive itself extinct any time soon. We celebrate by consuming more products, energy, and fossil fuels, knowing that nothing bad can possibly happen to us now.

West_and_East_Germans_at_the_Brandenburg_Gate_in_1989.jpg

The dominoes start to fall at amazing speed in the Soviet Bloc. Lech Walesa becomes president of Poland after his Solidarity movement stands up to the Soviets. Free elections are held in Romania and former premier Nicolae Ceaușescu will face trial and execution for his actions in the prior decades. Before long, the Soviet Union itself will fall.

In the west, Margaret Thatcher resigns as Prime Minister. British and French workers shake hands deep under the English Channel symbolically marking a milestone in the creation of the Chunnel and a symbolic milestone for European Unity.

Greetings-across-the-international.jpg

I’m sure this sense of continental brotherhood will last forever (Image source “tunneltalk.com”)

In Switzerland, Tim Berners-Lee publishes his formal proposal for the World Wide Web to CERN. The Hubble Space Telescope launches to much celebration, only to quickly discover that it needs glasses.

In South Africa great hope arises when Nelson Mandela is released from prison.

The UN launches a formal ban on the Ivory Trade.

Iraq under Saddam Hussein invades Kuwait, setting the stage for a perfect little war that will convince America that wars in the Middle East are quick, simple, and largely bloodless things thanks to smart weapons. Shirts for “Iraqnophobia” hit the malls of America.

5c3d031c8daf258a33f0564c957da8db.jpg

“War? What is it Good For? Selling lots of T-Shirts (say it again!)” (Image source “pintrest.com”)

And in the biggest scandal of the year (and in the tradition of ending these damned things on a silly note), musicians Milli Vanilli are exposed as lip-syncers. The press will redub them “Phony Baloney”. Betrayed America will never be the same again.

All_or_Nothing_%28Milli_Vanilli_song%29.jpg

Just as real as a live performance

[1] It combined the spine-tingling terror of Caddyshack with the endless laughs of The Exorcist.

Last edited:
And in the biggest scandal of the year (and in the tradition of ending these damned things on a silly note), musicians Milli Vanilli are exposed as lip-syncers. The press will redub them “Phony Baloney”. Betrayed America will never be the same again.
Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's

British and French workers shake hands deep under the English Channel symbolically marking a milestone in the creation of the Chunnel and a symbolic milestone for European Unity.
Famously (in the Tunnel industry anyway) they didn't meet in the middle, the two sides met 2/3rds of the way towards France. Some have claimed it was the French habit of providing wine with the workers lunches that slowed them down, I think this is unfair and the French would have been just as slow even if had they been sober.

"The sensual dance of the Lambada threatens to singlehandedly destroy American morality" - Fantastic line!

I thought Groening was doing his rabbit show so Simpsons is unlikely happen ITTL?

At least Twin Peaks got an ending here after a short period and not dragging it all out.

Schwarzenegger still makes the transition out of stereotype 'action star' then? Good.

"We celebrate by consuming more products, energy, and fossil fuels, knowing that nothing bad can possibly happen to us now." - The irony is strong in this one...

"the Soviet Union itself will fall" - hopefully a lot less messy than in real life please!

"Tim Berners-Lee publishes his formal proposal for the World Wide Web to CERN" - never catch on.

Wonder if the Iraq War ends with regime change this time round?

Looking forward to your 90's @Geekhis Khan

Famously (in the Tunnel industry anyway) they didn't meet in the middle, the two sides met 2/3rds of the way towards France. Some have claimed it was the French habit of providing wine with the workers lunches that slowed them down, I think this is unfair and the French would have been just as slow even if had they been sober.
maybe stick to facts instead ? the british side mostly didn't encounter water & had simpler geology and thus could use simpler engineering methods. the french side on the other hand did encounter water and had to use a lot more elaborate building method

Arachnophobia was a bomb? It was just so ubiquitous on TV it just felt a bigger part of culture. Though, I guess it being on tv a lot in the nineties is more of a sign that it didn't do so hot when it came out...which I believe was the case of Shawshank Redemption seeping into the culture from rentals and tv.

So perhaps the most important and frankly hard hitting question of this update.

Does Hasselhoff still get to sing atop the Wall?

I vaguely remember learning that German Reunification happened because an East German government official misspoke at a press conference.

I believe that same miscommunication is how the Wall came down...and while reunification is more complicated than that, that does seem to be the seed that eventually sprouted into reunification. The bigger obstacle to reunification was Britain and France being opposed...until the French extracted a commitment by Germany to join a Monetary Union as prerequisite for allowing reunification.

I hate doing this but there's some corrections that need to be made: It's Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (which I hope still exists in TTL), "Who killed Laura Palmer?" and Caddyshack is one word...

Good update setting the scene, though--IMO, Milli Vanilli should have kept the Grammy; if the Grammys could be fooled by that, there's no excuse...

Hammer, Ice, Prince. All the best movies in the late 80s, early 90s had a famous singer attached to them. With James Cameron's Spider-Man coming up (Fingers crossed for a Jack Nicholson Green Goblin.), maybe New Kids found it possible to record something for that?

So now thus comes the beginning of Grunge most likely with the Milli Vanilli scandal. Apparently, it's what delivered a death knell to the 1980s pop scene and made way for grunge, rap and so on, least until pop made a come back with the 1990s boybands...

While looking through a list of individuals who died in 1990 I found someone who's life will hopefully be marginally easier/better with the existence of The Song of Susan:
Though to be fair it won't really be that different than OTL.

Here are some people who can be saved by random butterflies:
(Accident)
(Accidental overdose)
(His life may be extended with greater AIDS awareness)
(Auto accident)
(Auto accident)
(I'm not sure how but his death wasn't from cancer or AIDS so who knows)

Status
Not open for further replies.