Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some interesting changes with Dragonball thanks to the butterflies. I would've loved the twin ITTL since she would be a foil to Goku and his antics throughout Dragon Ball and even DBZ. Speaking of DBZ, I'm going to be very curious to see where the sequel takes the both of them next.

An early Kingdom Hearts-like show does sound pretty cool, and no doubt that an adaptation could be in short order for the video game world.

Meanwhile, the mention of JoJo and Monica Zeppelli has me going "Eh-eh-eh-eh?? Ehhhhhh?!" Butterflies to Dragon Ball are one thing, but imagining butterflies to JoJo is another wild thing entirely! Genuinely curious to hear what's up there.
Me when Kamen Rider is now fated to be under Disney. That's a huge acquisition, for better or for worse. Same with Metal Heroes as well.
I groan at the prospect of Disney having even more franchises under its belt without good reason (having all three of Toei's main Tokusatsu franchises is massive), and I'm not sure how Henson will be impressed with a series like Kamen Rider when they already have Bio-Force.

I'm not honestly a Dragon Ball guy, but I'm glad this expands the world of Disney's anime ventures! Kingdom Champions sounds like its gonna be a very interesting thing!

Shame KH as we know it won't be here. I can only guess what it will mean for Square Enix and its certain character designer.
Now I get the image of Square Enix doing a crossover work with DC and WB characters instead ITTL. May not be possible, but one can imagine.

Side note: Given how The Land Before Time would inspire the docu tie in of Dinosafari!, I wouldn't be surprised if that Ice Age-set movie mentioned at the end would inspire a sequel series to Dinosafari set in the cenozoic. I'm happy to discuss it with @Geekhis Khan someday.

It depends on where he makes League ITTL. If it's DC per OTL then WB would control the IP.

I think that can be butterflied reasonably easily though. All it takes is Moore and Jim Lee having a discussion about the WildStorm sale before it happens. Moore explains his Strong Opinions about DC, and as a result they work something out so Moore doesn't have a commitment to work for them. I admit I don't know what that would be. If it's early enough, maybe Moore simply never signs anything in the first place; if not, maybe Lee can detatch America's Best from WildStorm before the sale goes through.

Of course, if it ends up with Alan Moore himself having ultimate control of the LoEG IP, the chances are nobody's making a movie...

Of course, if it ends up with Alan Moore himself having ultimate control of the LoEG IP, the chances are nobody's making a movie...
Since it's a League of Public Domain Characters how close could somebody get before a court says no?
Either with those exact characters or other ones.

Since it's a League of Public Domain Characters how close could somebody get before a court says no?
If it's a court in the United Kingdom, or anywhere in the British Commonwealth outside of India or Zimbabwe, quite far.

Even outside it, if it involves specific scenarios unique to the comic, I wouldn't defend the production if I had a relevant law license for any offered sum on any contingency basis.

Any chance of getting A pic of Roku?
goku_and____girlku__by_spoon300_ded0psw-fullview.jpg

Here you go.

Eh, Most of the time, 2D arena tournament fighters are not my thing. I liked the Samurai Shodown, The Last Blade, and Honor and Steel series due to the integration of weapons combat, and the Capcom Vs. crossover games due to the subject matter, but I much preferred when the genre took the leap to 3D, like Virtua Fighter, Fighting Bujutsu, and especially Tekken and Beasterizer/Bloody Roar. That said, due to how Toriyama's art style seems to work, I think it would take at least until TTL's equivalent of the Playstation2 era to do it justice.

On the other hand, a Beat-'em-Up (with Double Dragon-style fighting mechanics), an Action RPG, or best yet, a Beat-'em-Up Action RPG a la River City Ransom, Little Ninja Boy/Chinese World, or the Capcom Mystara D&D arcade games would be right up my alley!

Last edited:
First off, thanks to @Spooner The Trinity for yesterday's post. It generated some interesting discussion. I won't comment on things too much, but leave that for Spooner to answer. I will say that the era of the Kingdom Hearts VG is a ways away, so what evolves out of Kingdom Champions has plenty of places to go.

This one is 90% @Spooner The Trinity, so all accolades go there, but thanks anyway!

That Ditko sketch is cool, and show Stan and Steve have not split ITTL, which is v nice. Can’t imagine the Alt comics this timeline got.
Ditko and Lee on speaking term? Seem hard to believe, a Kirby and Lee reconciliation? sure, but Ditko seemed always one that will not get back to his decision even if his life depend on it
Just because Ditko and Lee signed the same picture doesn't mean they're on good term, it just mean they signed at two different times in two different places.
Ditko left Marvel around the same time as OTL. That was a long-burning fuse that doesn't just get flippantly butterflied. That said, Shooter is still on good enough terms with both ITTL that he could arrange getting a signature. Or at least that's how I saw it. Maybe Spooner has a definitive answer.

I think that can be butterflied reasonably easily though. All it takes is Moore and Jim Lee having a discussion about the WildStorm sale before it happens. Moore explains his Strong Opinions about DC, and as a result they work something out so Moore doesn't have a commitment to work for them. I admit I don't know what that would be. If it's early enough, maybe Moore simply never signs anything in the first place; if not, maybe Lee can detatch America's Best from WildStorm before the sale goes through.

Moore, on the other hand, has some flexibility. If he can gain full control of his IP he will, but that, as you mention, means NO movies, ever, while he's alive at least. He hates every adaption of his stuff pretty much reflexively. So, possibly he can make it under the Epic title (Marvel) or have Marvel grab WildStorm rather than DC. Or since DC is part of WB, the situation behind the film is totally different. PM me an idea if you have one.

If it's a court in the United Kingdom, or anywhere in the British Commonwealth outside of India or Zimbabwe, quite far.

Even outside it, if it involves specific scenarios unique to the comic, I wouldn't defend the production if I had a relevant law license for any offered sum on any contingency basis.
I'm not an expert on law here, US or otherwise, but given the specifics of how the characters are assembled you could open yourself to a lawsuit since it's not just the Who, but the Where, When, and How and even Why that can be copyrightable. Of course you could build a different team of Victorian PD characters or use some of the same characters imagined differently. It ends up being a game off subtlety from what I can tell; #notlegaladvice.

Hopefully Batman TAS will have more consistent animation quality. While it took some YouTube videos pointing it out, but in hindsight it’s obvious. Some episodes have fantastic animation but some episodes look like they were broadcast in a sloppy half-finished state. It's obvious that some of the animation studios contracted for the show didn't pull their weight.
Well, WB Animation has absorbed Rankin Bass and has a lot of talent and contacts and Bird Brain is headed by the perfectionist Brad Bird, and now WB has a quality reputation to uphold, so consistency will be better.

Happy to hear Conan the Conquerer got a solid film and rounds out a great trilogy... plus it may have saved Milius' career. Be nice ITTL if an older Schwarzenegger could return to do a King Conan movie or two... The Scarlet Citadel would be a grwat basis for such a film, complete with an epic LOTR style battle at the end.
Glad to hear you're happy, as you planted that seed. 👍

Barbarian Fantasy has been given a brief new lease on life thanks to He Man, but it's still on it's last legs with the '90s zeitgeist looming. It seems possible for Conan to return later, perhaps in the 2000s or 2010s, with Old King Conan sucked into another quest or passing the torch or something (Son of Conan?). I could see an older Schwarzenegger as an older King Conan doing " The Scarlet Citadel" amidst a fantasy renaissance zeitgeist like we had iOTL post LotR. I'll kick around ideas or feel free to kick me one.

Side note: Given how The Land Before Time would inspire the docu tie in of Dinosafari!, I wouldn't be surprised if that Ice Age-set movie mentioned at the end would inspire a sequel series to Dinosafari set in the cenozoic. I'm happy to discuss it with @Geekhis Khan someday.
Well, seems possible. You know where to find me.

I'll kick around ideas or feel free to kick me one.
Related to The Sword of Cerebus: perhaps around 2004, feeling severe creative burnout and declining interest due to his controversial viewpoints, Dave Sim decides not to kill off the barbarian aardvark (at least not as he did IOTL), instead the comic ends on a bittersweet note - Cerebus is dragged into the light, but rather than the implications of him being dragged into Hell, he ends up in a world very identical to how Estarcion was portrayed in the early issues, with Cerebus not only in the role of a wandering barbarian mercenary once again but with no memories of his previous life. Thus Cerebus the Aardvark ends as it begins: with our titular antihero wandering into a city in search of adventure, gold, and booze. Afterwards, Dave Sim oversees a soft reboot of the comic set in this new universe at TTL's equivalent of the Marvel MAX imprint.

With regards to Cosby and his exposure, I also wonder if it happens earlier--having it happen at the height of the Cosby Show's success would have some interesting knock-on effects...

What if Universal pictures owned DC comics
This is a very good question ITTL.

This is a very good question ITTL.
Universal Studios Florida could have a Gotham City land instead of a Marvel-themed land.
I forgot that the Batman movie was made by Warner Bros ITTL.

Last edited:
Hey, if a Batman Forever style soft reboot happens, then could Bruce Campbell become the caped crusader himself? If not, maybe he could get to be Superman.

Last edited:
Shaken, not Stirred...
Behind the Scenes of A Quantum of Solace
Article from 007 Magazine #20, 1989, by Patrick P. K. Walther

With the success of The Living Daylights reinvigorating the James Bond brand and positive audience reactions to Sam Neill as Bond overcoming Cubby Broccoli’s remaining reservations, it was a foregone conclusion that Bond #16 would be put into production. The bigger question for the writers was, of course, what to make the 16th Bond outing about?

Licence_to_Kill_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg
Quantum_of_Solace_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

Not really either of these, but more an adaption of “Risico

“We considered several settings and ideas,” said writer Michael G. Wilson. “We explored China as a setting, but by this point between Mask of the Monkey King, Empire of the Sun, and The Last Emperor, the novelty [for the once closed off state] had worn away. We explored some of [Ian] Fleming’s old stories, in particular ‘The Hildebrand Rarity’, but it was two other stories in the [For Your Eyes Only] anthology that caught our eyes. We loved the name ‘A Quantum of Solace’, but the story wasn’t really built for an action film. By comparison, ‘Risico’ was a good foundation for a story, though the name was sub-optimal for a wide release feature.”

“Risico” was a story of Italian drug smugglers and Russian double agents with plenty of action at sea. It also lent itself well to current events with its drug runner plot. “We found that we could take the central idea and characters from ‘Risico’ and move them from the Med to the Caribbean,” said co-writer Richard Maibaum. “Miami Vice was very popular, of course, and [Panamanian President Manuel] Noriega was all over the news for apparently supporting drug smugglers[1].”

The plot would largely follow “Risico”, but with elements and characters from “The Hildebrand Rarity” and with the name “A Quantum of Solace”, the name justified in the film when drug runner Enrico Columbo proclaims this to be the “service” he provides: giving his customers “A quantum of solace in this cruel and unjust world.” And despite the interruption of the ’88 Writers’ Strike that cost them Maibaum’s participation halfway through production, they put together a fun and thrilling tale full of adventures on the sea, double- and triple-crosses, sex, and intrigue galore.

bond-sanchez7.jpg

El Presidenté Hidalgo de la Peña; any resemblance to real world leaders of the time is strictly coincidental, I’m sure (Image source “them0vieblog.wordpress.com”)

The film sees Bond sent by M to Central America to investigate a drug smuggling ring believed to be working with the tacit support of the President of the Republic of Costa Diabla, a Noriega-like dictator named Hidalgo de la Peña (John Davi), nicknamed “de la Piña” due to his poor complexion. The information comes from a shadowy informant named “Kristatos”. Bond enters into the presidential compound of del la Peña and encounters the seductive Isabella Krest (new sensation Catharine Zeta-Jones), and her charming but abusive husband Milton Krest (Timothy Dalton), who claims to be a conservationist in search of the “Hildebrand Rarity”, an endangered fish. Bond also encounters his target, the drug runner Enrico Columbo (Pedro Armendariz). This, of course, sends him down a rabbit hole of twists and turns with SMERSH agents, Cuban spies, and a dark conspiracy that engulfs the CIA, SMERSH, Columbo’s cocaine cartel, the government of the Republic of Costa Diabla, and MI6[2].

There’s even the return of the nigh-unstoppable SMERSH assassin Necross (Dolph Lundgren), ever looming in the background.

The resulting film was, much like the Connery films, notably more serious than the Moore films, but still willing to push the willing suspension of disbelief in its audiences through explosive action set pieces and humor. “We wanted something that fit with Mr. Neill’s interpretation and kept the shades of grey approach of the prior film,” said Maibaum[3].

Shooting commenced in the spring of ’88 mostly in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico with some set shots at the Estudios Churubusco in Mexico City. Director John Glen spoke highly of the cast and crew. “Mr. Neill is an absolute professional and Mr. Dalton an excellent actor who really put the mystery and menace into Mr. Krest. And of course, the stunning Catharine Zeta-Jones, who I can assure you is far more than a pretty face. I strongly suspect that she will be seen on the big screen again. The crew of Estudios Churubusco were talented professionals.”

licencetokillcreditsopeningalsdkjfalskdj_465_206_int.jpg

Opening Credits (Image source “dangerousminds.net”)

For the opening number, the legendary Gladys Knight sings the haunting Latin-inspired “A Quantum of Solace” with some memorable opening sequences that capture the allure and danger of narcotics. The score was composed and conducted by Michael Kamen, beautifully capturing the moods of the film.

With these elements combined, A Quantum of Solace is Jams Bond as it’s meant to be: stunning, sexy, and thrilling, while also exploring deeper issues of the depths that man will sink to for “the greater good”.

“We expect that Quantum of Solace will play well[4],” said Cubby. “It has all of the action and suspense and sensuality that one expects from the Bond franchise, while also reflecting the world of 1989 in a meaningful way.”

[1] A few months after the release of this film (and it’s equivalent from our timeline) the US invaded Panama in the winter of 1989/90 and toppled Noriega in a quick and overwhelming invasion that helped rebuilt American faith in its armed forces and also established the long-running US tradition of righteous-sounding operational names that played well in the press, calling itself “Operation Just Cause.” Some comedian (Howie Mandel?) of course had a different take: “Why did we do it? Just ‘cause!

[2] The big twist will be that Columbo is secretly a double agent working with the CIA to take down de la Peña and Kristatos is actually Milton Krest, a double-agent himself who is not just smuggling drugs, but smuggling Cuban and Soviet intelligence agents, including Necross, into Florida in a plot to assassinate the American President as he visits the Air Force Bases there and frame American peace protestors in a bid to incite civil unrest in America. It all culminates with Krest’s big yacht Wavekrest exploding.

[3] In our timeline Bond 16 was designed with Dalton’s darker bond in mind, resulting in the violent License to Kill.

[4] Will make a good $175 million against a $32 million budget and prove popular enough with the fans to greenlight a third Sam Neill Bond film.

A Quantum of Solace sounds like a really good Bond movie - it’s kinda got everything from a cool sounding theme song to explosions and a ‘smart but sexy’ femme fatale. Catherine Zeta-Jones will not regret doing this flick.

Are they any ‘in-jokes’ about using the Columbo name? Does the character pick up a rumpled Mac at some point, then -it it down or similar?

Is Sam Neill comfortable as Bond? 3rd movie to come but what else is he doing?
Is Tim Dalton going to get typecast as villains? Will he get a chance to play a Hero? I could see him as Boromir.

Good movie there @Geekhis Khan

[4] Will make a good $175 million against a $32 million budget and prove popular enough with the fans to greenlight a third Sam Neill Bond film.
Film 17:

Status
Not open for further replies.