Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody, I promise, by hook or by crook, to find a way to make a page for this on TvTropes when it reaches 100,000 words, if no one else does it first.

EPCOT Opens
EPCOT Opens at Walt Disney World
Article from the Orlando Sentinel

October 1st, 1982 – AP News: Walt Disney World marks a new era today with the opening of the Epcot theme park. Originally envisioned by Walt Disney as a futuristic utopian city (the name comes from “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow”), the realized EPCOT Center is instead a “never-ending World’s Fair” reminiscent of the 1964 World’s Fair, complete with sponsored technology pavilions and nationally-sponsored world showcases. In addition to providing guests with thrills and entertainment, Disney hopes EPCOT will provide educational value and promote technological advancement, international peace, and intercultural understanding.

1180w-600h_100212_FS_FromTheArchives_EpcotOrigins_ConvergingFutureWorldWorldShowcase-780x440.jpg

Opening Ceremonies, Oct. 1st, 1982 (image source “D23.com”)

Joined by new Disney CCO Jim Henson and by members of the Walt Disney family, Disney CEO E. Cardon Walker gave the opening dedication. “It is a great thrill, really a wonderful thrill,” said Walker. “Joining us around this magnificent fountain are representatives of nations from around the world. They have brought with them waters from the great oceans, the seas, the rivers, and the lakes on our planet, Spaceship Earth. These waters will flow together as a symbol of the oneness of humankind and the hope for peace among nations, making this truly a fountain of world friendship.”

Crowned by the impressive silver sphere of Spaceship Earth, EPCOT Center features such science- and engineering-based attractions as CommuniCore, The Land, Universe of Energy, and World of Motion. Currently, the United States, Mexico, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, China, and Japan have set up showcases and it is hoped that dozens of more nations will sign on in future years. Disney plans to continue expanding Epcot over the coming years, with new rides, updated pavilions, and new nationally-sponsored showcase pavilions.

“We hope to see Epcot grow and evolve over time, as indeed all of us do,” said CCO Jim Henson. “All science, art, and understanding begins with imagination. And as we imagine new worlds and new ideas, we hope that EPCOT can grow to reflect that.”

* * *​

Disney Stocks Briefly Break $100 following EPCOT Opening
Wall Street Journal, October 7th, 1982

Walt Disney Productions’ stock price (DIS) jumped another 4.6% this month, briefly breaking the $100 a share benchmark for the first time in over a decade before settling back at $97 by the closing bell[1]. Excitement over the opening of the new EPCOT theme park is largely credited for the surge, which helped restore stock prices after their summer drop following the disappointing showing of A Muppet Mystery, which lost out to the blockbuster E.T. Investors are confident that excitement over the new park will lead to increased revenue streams in the coming quarter.

[1] Reached $86/share at this point in our timeline.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that TRON is going to be next? Also, how is Jim being in the company going to affect Disney's attitude towards Home Media? to clarify.

Kermit Interview with Jack Tramiel
The Home Computing Revolution!
From Disney’s World of Magic, S1, E12

[Return from commercial]

Theme plays and Title Card displays for Disney’s World of Magic. Transition to:

Interior – Computer – Circuit Card
A chromakey-inserted background of a computer animated circuit card surface leading off to infinity, sparks moving quickly along the gold traces in an endless loop. Two stick-Muppets shaped like Integrated Circuits walk insect-like on screen using their leads as legs, a small one (BIT) and a large one (BYTE). Electronic music plays softly in the background.

Byte (Jerry Nelson)
Oh, hi there, Bit!

Bit (Louise Gold)
Hey, Byte! What brings you to the CPU today?

Byte
Just visiting my Motherboard!​

Both laugh.

Bit
I’m sure she’s glad to see you. I’m here to catch the bus!
Both laugh.

Byte
And where are you going on that bus?

Bit

(looks at camera) Why to see Kermit the Frog, live at CommuniCore, where we’ll learn about the exciting world of computers! Are you game, Byte?

Byte
You know what they say, “when in ROM!”​

Both laugh.

Bit
Alright, Serial Ports and Circuit Cards, let’s welcome Kermit the Frog!

Bit & Byte Together
Yaaaaayyyyy!​

Pixelated Wipe to…

Interior – CommuniCore – “Adventures in Computing” Exhibit
Kermit the Frog, wearing his press hat and trench coat and holding a mike, is in front of a display of Commodore 64 computers. Attendants in matching collared shirts and khaki pants show the computers to visiting guests. With him is Commodore CEO Jack Tramiel[1].

Kermit
Hi-ho and welcome again to CommuniCore at fabulous EPCOT Center in Walt Disney World, Florida. I’m Kermit the Frog of Disney News, and today we’re at the all-new Adventures in Computing exhibit, sponsored by Commodore Computers. And with me today is Commodore CEO Jack Tramiel.

latest

Kermit the Frog, Roving Reporter (image source “muppet.fandom.com”)

Jack
It’s great to be here, Kermit, thank you for having me.​

Jack-Tramiel-ist-gestorben.jpg

Jack Tramiel in the 1980s (image source “twotailedtiger.com”)​

Kermit
So Jack…may I call you Jack?

Jack
Sure thing, Kermit. Just don’t call me Mr. T.

Kermit
Um, yea, I already interviewed him. So, what does it take to make a computer run?

Jack
Well, ultimately it runs on “bits” and “bytes”.​

Muppets Bit and Byte pop up behind them as their “name” is called.

Bit and Byte Together
You called?

Jack
(laughing, obviously just a little irritated with this all) Yes, a “bit” is a single binary digit, a 1 or a 0. A Byte is eight bits, representing a value between 0 and 255.

Byte
Eight bits? That’s a whole dollar!

Jack
You see, the computer uses these bits and bytes as it’s special language. This “machine language” is then translated through an assembly language into a user software language like BASIC that humans can use to tell a computer what to do.

Bit
Sounds a “bit” complicated!

Jack
It’s actually very simple. Anyone, even a child, can learn how to code in BASIC. And a computer such as our new Commodore 64, as you can see behind us, is a good way to learn BASIC and computer programming, which is the future of communications!

Kermit
And what makes for a good computer?

Jack
Well, having lots of RAM is important.

Ram Muppet
(pops up from behind a computer) You Ra-a-a-a-a-ang?

(Image source “muppet.fandom.com”)
A surprised Jack Tramiel laughs, slightly embarrassed at it all.

Kermit
(flustered) Not that kind of Ram! Go away!!​

Ram Muppet leaves.

Jack
In this case RAM stands for Random Access Memory, and it’s important for computers to run quickly and smoothly. The Commodore 64 comes standard with an impressive 64 kilobytes of RAM.

Byte
Ahhhh!! (starts shaking)

Bit
You stay away from him!

Kermit
(flustered) He said “kilobytes”, that’s 1000 bytes! No one is going to hurt you!

Bit
A thousand Bytes? I have trouble dealing with even one of him!

Kermit
Um, sorry about that. So, what else does a computer need?

Jack
It needs a good central processor chip, like our MOS 6510, and it needs a place to store data, which is a fancy way of saying all of the 1’s and 0’s that make up a program like a game or a spreadsheet. The Commodore 64 can use a ROM cartridge like on your home video game system, a cassette tape, or even this (grabs a black square), a floppy disk. This unassuming little five-and-a-quarter inch floppy disk can store an amazing 170 kilobytes of data. More than most programs even need!

Bit & Byte Together
170 thousand bytes!

Byte
That’s 1.36 million bits!

Bit
That’s 680 thousand quarters!

Byte
Sounds like a great day at the arcade!!​

Both laugh. Jack seems annoyed.

Kermit
So, what can our guests at CommuniCore expect from the new Commodore Adventures in Computing exhibit?

Jack
Um, well, um, they can expect a full immersive experience with a state-of-the-art microcomputer. Our Commodore Ambassadors are here, ready to show your guests all of the exciting things that a computer can do, even one that’s small enough and inexpensive enough to have in your home!

Kermit
And what does a computer let you do, other than, erm, playing videogames. (looks worried)

Bit
Are you OK, Kermit?

Kermit
Let’s just say that the last videogame I saw was “Frogger”. (swallows nervously)

Jack
Yes, Kermit, you can play videogames on your Commodore 64, some really excellent 8-bit graphics ones like The Dark Crystal, in fact. But you can also create a budget and expenditure spreadsheet for your home finances. You can type up your homework and print it out on a home dot matrix printer. You can draw a simple plan for your home extension. It’s a very versatile machine!

Ram Muppet
(reappearing) With lots of Ra-a-a-a-a-am!

Kermit
Would you go away!!​

Ram Muppet vanishes.

Kermit (cont’d)
Um, you were saying, Jack?

Jack
Yes, thank you. Computers are, in my mind, the future not only for work and communications, but for any number of conceivable creative or recreational tasks. And it is my goal, and Commodore’s goal, to see that every man, woman, and child gets the opportunity to have a versatile home computer. A computer for the masses, not the classes!

Kermit
So, there you have it, folks, the magic of computers! Coming soon to your very own home! So, until that time comes, come on down to Walt Disney World and CommuniCore at EPCOT Center to see Commodore’s Adventures In Computing! Thank you for your time, Mr. Tramiel! Jack!

Jack
And thank you, Kermit, and thanks to the whole Disney team for the opportunity to show your guests how computers can positively change their lives.

Kermit
You heard it here first, everyone, on Disney News! Back to you, Jim!

Mickey Mouse (Muppet)
(appearing) Mr. Jack! Mr. Jack! Can I audition for the role of a Computer Mouse?​

Jack Laughs nervously at this. Music plays. Pixilated wipe back to:

Interior – Disney’s World of Magic “Office” Set
Jim Henson stands by and interacts with an exotic animatronic bird that moves on its own and tweets. The window behind him shows the animated “Computer world” from before, as if the office has transported inside a computer.

Jim
Thank you, Kermit and thanks to our special guest, Mr. Jack Tramiel of Commodore. Computers are indeed transforming the world every day and will continue to transform it in exciting new ways. As computers get faster and smaller, they may be able to automate tasks in ways we can’t yet imagine. Perhaps they will allow us to communicate in new ways and across untold distances. Perhaps they will let us connect in ways we’ve never imagined or allow for photo-realistic animation. Perhaps they’ll take us all to space. Perhaps one day every person can be a movie producer! We can only guess. But one thing seems certain: The Computer Revolution that’s playing out right now will change the world in ways that no one can fully predict. When we return, we’ll be taking a trip further into the future, in a world where aliens and humans interact for the very first time in a sequence created by animators John Lassiter and Joe Ranft. I’ll see you when we return.​

Theme plays and Title Card displays for Disney’s World of Magic.

Cut to commercial.

[1] Consider this a teaser for exciting new technology butterflies provided by our own Kalvan! @Kalvan this one’s for you!

This slightly embarrassing info-merical by Mr. Jack Tramiel is just so perfectly Muppets.

I wonder if Kermit did ‘interviews’ with all the national Trade delegations and such? The Soviet one (if they get there) would be hilarious!

This slightly embarrassing info-merical by Mr. Jack Tramiel is just so perfectly Muppets.

I wonder if Kermit did ‘interviews’ with all the national Trade delegations and such? The Soviet one (if they get there) would be hilarious!

I may have to steal that idea.

I may have to steal that idea.
Please do.
Because of the expense and time required to do a full 'Muppet interview', I wouldn't be surprised if they're quickly replaced by more traditional field reporting. If they keep doing things like this into the 1990's I suppose we'd see 'kid reporters' like I remember from OTL, as well as some celebrity guests (no doubt started when random parkgoers are interviewed for their impressions of the pavilions and one of them turns out to be Bill Murray) and 'behind the scenes' looks at what it takes to create a pavilion.

Please do.
Because of the expense and time required to do a full 'Muppet interview', I wouldn't be surprised if they're quickly replaced by more traditional field reporting. If they keep doing things like this into the 1990's I suppose we'd see 'kid reporters' like I remember from OTL, as well as some celebrity guests (no doubt started when random parkgoers are interviewed for their impressions of the pavilions and one of them turns out to be Bill Murray) and 'behind the scenes' looks at what it takes to create a pavilion.

In the Jack Tramiel case it was a cross-promotion for a Commodore-sponsored EPCOT exhibit. Certainly having random Muppet interviews at the parks would be a fun selling point. "You too could meet a real Muppet on your next visit to a Disney resort!"

In the Jack Tramiel case it was a cross-promotion for a Commodore-sponsored EPCOT exhibit. Certainly having random Muppet interviews at the parks would be a fun selling point. "You too could meet a real Muppet on your next visit to a Disney resort!"

If the walking street performers cannot talk to visitors, then a stall in a pavillion where one can sit and talk to a Muppet might be awesome- get a photo, and get an autograph at the same time. I suspect Miss Piggy would be very popular.

If the walking street performers cannot talk to visitors, then a stall in a pavillion where one can sit and talk to a Muppet might be awesome- get a photo, and get an autograph at the same time. I suspect Miss Piggy would be very popular.

Considering that unlike many (most) of the "female" walkarounds Piggy performers would be actively encouraged to (erm) "ham it up" for the cameras, yes, the Piggy Walkarounds will be very popular. They may even get some feminist cred...and criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.