Status
Not open for further replies.
Dis War VI: "Save Disney!"
Chapter 7: “Save Disney!”

Excerpt from Kingdom Under Siege: The Wall Street War over Disney, by Taylor Johnson.

By June of 1984, Kingdom Acquisitions had gone into high gear. Several major arbs had sold their stake to Holmes à Court, bringing him to within striking distance of taking over Disney.

The White Knights needed to act quickly and decisively. Any misstep could be disastrous for the company. The newly formed shell company The Round Table Group, LLC, made up of Disney, Bass, Marriott, and a few minor shareholders, went into overdrive, gobbling up stock like a Cookie Monster in shining armor. It was a race against the clock.

When Kingdom Acquisitions announced a 38% stake on the 6th, Jim Henson again advised a public campaign. With little left to lose at this point, the board of The Round Table Group gave their reluctant blessing.

Henson called in Bernie Brillstein. “We need stars,” he told the former agent. “We need publicity. We need public relations.”

“Jim, my dear,” said Bernstein, “You came to the right man. Even if this fails, the publicity will be dynamite!” Bernstein called up his daughter at his old agency. They convinced every star they could to publicly back the upcoming campaign. Many of the stars were former Muppet Show guests and wholeheartedly agreed[1]. Many started buying shares themselves.

The “Save Disney” campaign was launched. Henson, the Muppet performers, and the animators all created short, catchy commercials to play on prime time. Soon the commercials were flooding the airwaves and big stars were publicly announcing their support for Disney.

Celebrity CEOs and Hollywood moguls soon joined the campaign. Steve Jobs of Apple Computers. Steven Spielberg of Amblin Entertainment. George Lucas of Lucasfilm, Ltd., who regretted that his financial difficulties limited his ability to help[2]. Even Lord Lew Grade, though still not financially recovered following his ouster from ACC, took a small position on Disney[3]. It became “a thing” on both the political left and the political right to support the “wholesome little company” from the “soulless Wall Street raiders.” Even US President Ronald Reagan had a say when asked by reporters. “Well,” he said[4], “While I always support the right to free enterprise, it’s hard not to root for good ol’ Mickey Mouse!”

Meanwhile, Stan Kinsey and Jack Lindquist, acting on Dick Cheney’s formerly rejected advice, launched a set of “rewards” for new and loyal shareholders, with giveaways based upon the level of shares owned. Awards ranged from small things for minor shareholders, like free passes to theme parks, free home videos or movie tickets, or free nights at a Disney hotel, to big things for major shareholders, like free visits from a Disney character of your choice, lifetime passes for the parks, or even a free stay in the exclusive “Princess Suite” inside Cinderella’s Castle at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. Each shareholder who claimed their prize by mail even got a free 50th anniversary Donald Duck as a White Knight high quality die-cast figurine, which would later become a highly sought collector’s item.

If the Knights of the Round Table failed in their quest, at least they’d have the names and addresses of shareholders and a wave of public support as ammunition for the inevitable proxy war.

And in the middle of all of this was Frank B. Wells. Stanley Gold had brought his friend and business associate to the Round Table to act as a coordinator, and Wells more than proved his worth. He coordinated with Bass and Marriott through Checchi. He coordinated with Jobs, Spielberg, and Lucas through Henson and Brillstein. He communicated to the Disney board through Watson. He coordinated with shareholders through Kinsey and Lindquist. He seemed to be in every room, savvy on every discussion, and able to predict what each stakeholder wanted even before they asked for it. He impressed everyone with his calm, professional, and unassuming manner as much as he did with his impeccable work ethic. Al Checchi later reported that Sid Bass said to him, “If Disney is too stupid to hire that man [Wells], then I want him.”

But time was almost out. “We expect to own a controlling stake in Disney by the 4th [of July],” Holmes à Court told reporters. The symbolic date was taken by many as an implicit British “Reconquista” of a symbol of Americana (despite Holmes à Court being Australian), which further angered many Americans, inadvertently aiding the Save Disney cause.

By mid-June, the clock had all but run out. Nearly all outstanding Disney shares had been gobbled up by one side or the other. Kingdom Acquisitions held a slight edge over The Round Table Group. The public largely supported Disney thanks to the publicity campaign, which Holmes à Court dismissed as a “silly stunt”, but in the end it came down to the numbers. Whoever had the majority of shares owned the company. Toppling them, even with a strong proxy presence, would be nearly impossible.

Roughly 13% of shares were not claimed by either of the two warring factions, and of them roughly 3.3% of the total shares were believed to be in the hands of holdout arbs or private “Knights Errant”. The lion’s share of the uncommitted shares, 8.4% of the total, belonged to the Ivan F. Boesky Company.

Ivan “Piggy” Boesky, the man Frank Oz had mocked over the phone, now held the fate of Disney in his hands.

[1] Henson went out of his way to make his guests feel special. Many of them fondly recalled their time on the Muppet Show and fondly remembered Jim. I imagine many would want to support the campaign simply to support Jim, whom they expressed public affection for.

[2] He lost a lot in the divorce and had blown much of his Star Wars fortune on his Quixotic quest to turn Skywalker Ranch into the ultimate filmmaker’s Mecca, an American Zoetrope on Steroids.

[3] Hat tip to @tornadobusdriver for this call (which I can’t believe I didn’t think of on my own), and hat-tips to those who predicted Lucas and Spielberg and the Knights Errant!

[4] Given that many on the Disney board were prominent California Republicans and had served with or for him over the years, Reagan’s support is likely as much about their loyalty as anything else.

The White Knights was the right route to go- I wonder if they had done it earlier Holes a' Court might not have got as many shares?

Frank B. Wells sounds like a very skilled chap- Disney needs to nab him ASAP.

The White Knights sounds like they need a get Ivan Boesky on side- perhaps a bio-pic? Perhaps a studio of his own? Does he like something they can buy him? Any skeletons in the cupboard? What exactly does he want?

Teasing us with this chapter @Geekhis Khan! More please!

I’m not here for the board room manoeuvres.
I’m not here for the theme parks.
I’m not here for the US pop culture.
It’s the depiction of executive and workplace cultural change after a long ossification that does it for me.

I just wanted to emphasise a perhaps under complimented aspect of the writing.

Thanks, Sam, I' trying to cast a wide net. For me the story is always bigger than just a couple of issues. I hope I can keep it going.

The White Knights was the right route to go- I wonder if they had done it earlier Holes a' Court might not have got as many shares?

Frank B. Wells sounds like a very skilled chap- Disney needs to nab him ASAP.

The White Knights sounds like they need a get Ivan Boesky on side- perhaps a bio-pic? Perhaps a studio of his own? Does he like something they can buy him? Any skeletons in the cupboard? What exactly does he want?

Teasing us with this chapter @Geekhis Khan! More please!

Thanks again, OB. It's certainly possible that they might have avoided the worst if they'd acted sooner.

I get the feeling that if they, the Americans, lose Disney to this Australian, they mght retaliate by kicking out Murdoch and his media legion

Although it's already been revealed the hostile takeover is (mostly?) unsuccessful, it's going to be interesting to see what the fallout from this affair will be. I imagine there's going to be a surge in park attendance as the goodwill from the public campaign spills over into visits to the places "we helped save". The partnerships with Marriott will be well appreciated.

The 'Disney Renaissance' of the 1990s is likely to be butterflied away after this, or rather accelerated: corporate shakeups to improve output and efficiencies have already begun but the incentives will have piled on after the takeover war. Undoubtedly we'll still see the expected films (animating classic fairy tales is Disney's bedrock) but the opportunities for new works is going to be interesting to see as already hinted at with the snippets from the animators' perspectives.

Looking forward to the conclusion and aftermath!

I get the feeling that if they, the Americans, lose Disney to this Australian, they mght retaliate by kicking out Murdoch and his media legion

Murdoch will come up briefly.

Although it's already been revealed the hostile takeover is (mostly?) unsuccessful, it's going to be interesting to see what the fallout from this affair will be. I imagine there's going to be a surge in park attendance as the goodwill from the public campaign spills over into visits to the places "we helped save". The partnerships with Marriott will be well appreciated.

The 'Disney Renaissance' of the 1990s is likely to be butterflied away after this, or rather accelerated: corporate shakeups to improve output and efficiencies have already begun but the incentives will have piled on after the takeover war. Undoubtedly we'll still see the expected films (animating classic fairy tales is Disney's bedrock) but the opportunities for new works is going to be interesting to see as already hinted at with the snippets from the animators' perspectives.

Looking forward to the conclusion and aftermath!

I've never stated that the takeover is unsuccessful. Others have tried to read that into my shaky grammar, but nowhere have I stated the outcome, which will be revealed in the next few days. Stay tuned! 📺

Public response to it all will certainly be covered in some detail.

That is not how business work, he have the money, no one give a shit about nationality, plus he is anglo-white, the proper culture. plus at the end of the day, i loved how fox and fox sports bring a lot of sport to latin america.

Unless ted turner play now the murdoch card

Hey i got a mad idea, what if ted turner buy disney instead?

I just wanted to say for the record that I've been thoroughly enjoying the "run on Disney" arc and I don't think you've been dragging it out at all.

Ivan “Piggy” Boesky, the man Frank Oz had mocked over the phone, now held the fate of Disney in his hands.
I happen to be a very big fan of the classic "well look who's come crawling back" scenario. Hubris is always your enemy, never your friend.

Geekhis Khan said:
[2] He lost a lot in the divorce and had blown much of his Star Wars fortune on his Quixotic quest to turn Skywalker Ranch into the ultimate filmmaker’s Mecca, an American Zoetrope on Steroids.
While completely ignoring said ex-wife's creative contributions to his would-be empire. Fascinating character, Marcia Lucas. Someone ought to write about her ;)

Geekhis Khan said:
“Well,” he said[4], “While I always support the right to free enterprise, it’s hard not to root for good ol’ Mickey Mouse!”
I'm delighted that you chose to start the quote with the classic Reagan "well". Not enough people lean into the verbal tics when they quote people in TLs...

That is not how business work, he have the money, no one give a shit about nationality, plus he is anglo-white, the proper culture. plus at the end of the day, i loved how fox and fox sports bring a lot of sport to latin america.

Unless ted turner play now the murdoch card

Hey i got a mad idea, what if ted turner buy disney instead?

Ted Turner will come up sooner than you think.

I wonder if greenmail will get him to sell his shares to Disney?

Stay tuned.

I just wanted to say for the record that I've been thoroughly enjoying the "run on Disney" arc and I don't think you've been dragging it out at all.

I happen to be a very big fan of the classic "well look who's come crawling back" scenario. Hubris is always your enemy, never your friend.

While completely ignoring said ex-wife's creative contributions to his would-be empire. Fascinating character, Marcia Lucas. Someone ought to write about her ;)

I'm delighted that you chose to start the quote with the classic Reagan "well". Not enough people lean into the verbal tics when they quote people in TLs...

Thanks, BB. As to Marcia Lucas, yes, she was one of Hollywood's underappreciated Editors, and editing is frankly the underappreciated art in film making. As of "now" she's run off with the carpenter from Skywalker Ranch and quit Hollywood per OTL. She never returned OTL, but Ill think about it.

As to Regan's "Well"...well, you can thank the Rich Little impressions for sticking that in my head.

Knights Errant
[Commercial begins]

Black Screen. The opening bass notes of John Williams’ iconic theme song from Jaws start to play[1].

Fade in. Jaws theme continues to play.

Exterior – The Magic Kingdom – Daytime
We see the iconic Cinderella’s Castle in the background (chromakey). JIM HENSON walks up in front and stands just off of center-left, facing slightly to the right.

Henson
Hi, I’m Jim Henson, Chief Creative Officer for Walt Disney Productions. And we need your help.​

Suddenly we see MICKEY MOUSE, in Muppet form (top half only; bottom half “below” the TV screen), “running” screen-left to screen-right in front of Henson. He’s screaming “Ah! Help!” Behind him, BUSINESS SHARK, a cigar-chomping, shark-headed Muppet wearing a business suit and carrying a martini, chases after him going “Nyum nyum! Nyum nyum!” in time with the music.

Not exactly this… (Image source “muppet.fandom.com”)

Henson
A coalition of corporations is attempting a takeover of the company that Walt and Roy Disney founded. The Wall Street Journal reports that they plan to break up the company and sell off the assets. If this happens, Disney as you know it will be gone forever[2].​

MICKEY, still screaming, runs back from screen-right to screen-left, BUSINESS SHARK in pursuit.

Henson
But you can help. Every stock you buy is one more stock out of their hands. And Disney shareholders, in addition to being heroes, can claim special Disney rewards available only to them.​

MICKEY and BUSINESS SHARK run past again as someone off camera hands JIM two things: a shield emblazoned with the image of The Sword in the Stone from the animated classic, and a large, spiked mace.

Henson
You too can be a Knight Errant for Disney! Together…​

MICKEY and BUSINESS SHARK run past again, but this time Jim Henson nonchalantly swings down the mace. It hits BUSINESS SHARK in the head with a “clang” noise, stopping him in his tracks. The Jaws theme stops mid-note. BUSINESS SHARK falls below the screen.

Henson
Together we can save the Magic Kingdom. Buy Disney stocks today and become a part of the magic.​

MICKEY joins JIM. DONALD (Muppet) walks up to them too. Henson crouches down to MICKEY & DONALD’S level.

Henson, Mickey, & Donald Together
It’s all for one, and one for all!​

The logo for Save Disney appears as a Title Card along with an address and phone number, quickly repeated aloud twice by a Narrator.

Fade out.

[Commercial ends]

* * *​

Stocks at a Glance: Walt Disney Productions (DIS)
June 19th, 1984
Stock price: $88.22
Major Shareholders: Kingdom Acquisitions (43.8%), Round Table Group (42.7%), Ivan Boesky (8.4%), Suspected “Knights Errant” and Arbitrageurs: 3.3%, Others (1.8%)
Outstanding shares: 37.6

200.gif

(Image source “giphy.com”)

[1] Rights provided free of charge by Spielberg.
[2] Henson wanted to say more, but this was the most that Disney’s lawyers were willing to allow, the words chosen carefully to minimize the threat of a libel lawsuit. No names were mentioned. Everything here is either a) an undisputed fact (the first two statements) or b) an opinion protected under free speech (third statement). Any potentially inflammatory adjectives (e.g. “hostile”, “greedy”, “wicked”) have been dutifully avoided.

Last edited:
As noted I bet Ad was lawyered all the way to the Board and back! Still it is kinda cool.

Can anyone else see a big ‘Thank You’ Special song and dance number being made for the White Knoghts when this is over and the Sharks are seen off?

Cos they cannot be any other outcome can there..?

I'm not sure if the use of comedy will help or hinder the cause. It just strikes me as something Henson & Co would do as a parody after the fact ("We were at risk from sharks... until we were saved by..."), rather than as a sincere call to arms at the time. I assume there would also be more conventional presentations running parallel.

As noted I bet Ad was lawyered all the way to the Board and back! Still it is kinda cool.

Can anyone else see a big ‘Thank You’ Special song and dance number being made for the White Knoghts when this is over and the Sharks are seen off?

Not a bad idea, hypothetically speaking...

Cos they cannot be any other outcome can there..?

I'm sure everything will be fine. :evilsmile:

I'm not sure if the use of comedy will help or hinder the cause. It just strikes me as something Henson & Co would do as a parody after the fact ("We were at risk from sharks... until we were saved by..."), rather than as a sincere call to arms at the time. I assume there would also be more conventional presentations running parallel.

It's one of several commercials and other campaigns. This one is more lighthearted, but others will pull more at the heart strings. "Imagine your childhood without the magic of Cinderella. Now imagine hers..." type of stuff. Also a blitz of interviews, talk shows, and the like.

An American Tragedy
A New American Epic Tragedy
Excerpt, New York Times Movie Reviews, June 23rd, 1984

This is how empires are built, and how they fall. They start with the dreams of the young, blossom into action, get tainted with greed and regret, and then end in tragedy. And none of these events happens in isolation, none is divorced from another, and every moment is a dark reflection of the next. Such is the story of Sergio Leone’s new crime drama Once Upon a Time in America, a sweeping epic that was the buzz of Cannes and is sure to be the buzz of the Oscars. The 229 minute epic[1], with its non-linear plot, follows the life of “Noodles” (Robert DeNiro) as he grows up in the slums of Hell’s Kitchen, faces the trials and opportunities of Prohibition, gets rich, gets arrested, deals with opium addiction, and deals with a long, complex, and ultimately tragic relationship with his childhood crush Deborah (Elizabeth McGovern). This surprisingly complex drama is already getting compared to The Godfather, but in reality, Coppola could have taken some cues from Leone. If this doesn’t take home Best Picture there is no justice in Hollywood.

Once Upon a Time in America; Rated R for violence, profanity, sexuality, and drug use ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Once_Upon_A_Time_In_America1.jpg

* * *​

The Last Days of Disney?
Wall Street Journal, July 2nd, 1984

Donald Duck is celebrating his 50th birthday, but he may not have a home for very long. In a very public takeover drama that has seen airplay with both Johnny Carson and David Letterman, Kingdom Acquisitions, LLC, a holding company helmed by Associated Communications Corporation chief Robert Holmes à Court, has acquired a near-majority stake in Walt Disney Productions, just a few million shares shy of the 49.9% threshold needed to claim victory. And with the balance of the shares in the hands of arbitrageur Ivan Boesky, many are proclaiming the imminent end of the classic American entertainment company.

But if Disney is going down, then it’s going down swinging. The White Knight investment group “Round Table”, led by Sid Bass and Bill Marriott, Jr., plus some Hollywood heavyweights, has acquired a near match in shares. And Disney has even taken the fight public in a massive publicity campaign that Holmes à Court has challenged in court, citing the commercials and advertisements as “inflammatory, misleading, and damaging to our brands[2].” A Judge for the Southern District of California has issued a temporary injunction on the ads as the case progresses in court. Even with the injunction, brokerages are reporting record numbers of private investors seeking Disney stocks, indicating that the campaign is working to some degree. The bidding wars and growing interest have been driving up the Disney stock price, which has broken $90 a share in recent days.

And yet, whatever comes out of the lawsuits, public campaigns, and late-night talk, the fate of Disney, and where Donald will sleep at night, remains up to one man: Ivan Boesky. So far, the would-be kingmaker has remained taciturn on his intentions. He seems content instead to let the share price creep up and has reportedly ignored calls from either faction. The one thing that appears certain is that Boesky will extract a maximum return for his now-golden shares.

[1] Due to a chance meeting (random butterflies), Bernie Brillstein intervened with Alan Ladd, Jr., and avoided our timeline’s infamous “Ladd cut” that slashed the picture to 139 minutes and put everything in linear order, ruining everything that made the film great in most reviewers’ opinions. The film was a hit everywhere but the US due to this poor decision. I butterflied it because I could.

[2] Whether the suit has merit or not I leave to the reader (I’m certainly no lawyer), but either way I have little doubt that a lawsuit would be launched if only for short-term tactical purposes.

Well short update, but Boesky is indeed the man to woo. I bet he has some very interesting lunch dates lined up.

Wondr if Ms Piggy calling him to grovel and apologise would have any effect?

Once Upon A Time In America seems to have well from ITTL’s butterflies! Go Oscar season- should cause some changes from OTL if it wins big.

Status
Not open for further replies.