Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Boesky is the man to woo, or at least not with words. My impression is that he, like most of the 'arbs', only cared about the money and anything else is just noise, sure he might be mildly annoyed at the Miss Piggy thing but he's not going to get petty about it and turn down money as a result. Whoever can rustle up the most cash to offer him will get his shares, simple as that.

but that could just as well be the backlash from the other side ratting him out for not selling to them.
I imagine that is just his OTL insider trading catching up with him. The SEC didn't bother enforcing insider trading for decades (in part because there is no actual written law against it) and the suddenly changed their mind in the late 80s, catching Boesky and dozen of others who had got lazy and blatant about their insider trading.

It's hard to imagine any changes at Disney affecting that aspect of securities law, so I'd expect that to still happen.

Dis War VIIa: An Alliance of Swine
Chapter 9: An Alliance of Swine
Excerpt from Kingdom Under Siege: The Wall Street War over Disney, by Taylor Johnson.

In July of 1984, time seemed to drag on for the employees of Walt Disney Productions. The ticker-tape ticked away the hours, the Disney price numbers plateauing at around $92 per share as the final, straggling buyers solidified their positions. Ivan Boesky, ever aloof, sat on his kingmaking 8.4% share of stock, his plans unknown, perhaps even to himself. The Disney executives and managers did their best to put a positive spin on the situation, but the tension was palpable. Everyone knew about the time when Frank Oz mocked Boesky using Miss Piggy’s voice. Everyone was sure that it was only a matter of time before Boesky took his revenge.

All around the company, the rumors flew. One rumor suggested that the management was planning to sell out to Holmes à Court to save their own skin. Another suggested that Bill Marriott or Sid Bass or even Roy Disney or Jim Henson were about to throw in their lot with Holmes à Court. Another suggested that Ron Miller was going to burn the company to the ground rather than let Holmes à Court break it apart. Little did they know that there was some truth to this latter rumor.

At a contentious Board of Directors meeting, the directors discussed their dwindling options. Perhaps they could pay greenmail to Holmes à Court or one of his collaborators. However unpalatable, greenmail was better than death. Card Walker suggested a darker path: a “poison pill” in the form of a self-tender. They would put out an open call for shares at $120 per share. This would certainly break the Kingdom Acquisitions coalition, but it would saddle the company with crippling debt.

“It’s suicide,” said Stanley Gold. “Please tell me that this is a bluff to set up a buy from someone.”

“In ancient Rome a general would fall on his sword rather than be captured by barbarians,” said Walker.

“You can throw yourself on your sword, Card,” said Gold, “But this isn’t some Viking funeral where we all jump on the pyre with you.” The mixed metaphor, however awkward, hit home with the board.

The meeting ended without any consensus. Afterwards, Gold took Gottesman aside. “Al, this is insane. I’m advising Roy that if the board supports the self-tender, then he takes them up on it. Cash in his chips at 120 [dollars a share].”

Gottesman told Gold that he and Henson had discussed such a strategy. “Jim would walk away with over half a billion [dollars], enough to build his own studio from the ground up, Muppets or not. He’s also considering just taking the buyback.”

“Let us know his plan when he makes it, Al,” said Gold. “Roy and I may just become investors in whatever he’s doing next.”

The two shook hands.

But back at the boardroom, the arguments went on, and all through the company, the rumors continued to fly, grow, multiply, and mutate.

Still, the tickertape clicked away the hours.

Finally, they received a call from Ivan Boesky’s business manager. Ominously, the infamous arb wanted to talk to the full board. A call was arranged for Friday, the 13th of July. More ominously, the manager added: “Mr. Boesky wants to talk to the pig. Make sure that the pig is there.”

This sent a new buzz through the halls of Disney. Why did he want to talk to Oz? Was this some bizarre power play? A threat? Was he planning to gloat as he declared his sale to Holmes à Court?

They would have no choice but to wait and see[1].

[1] As will you, my lovely audience! Last cliffhanger. It all comes to a definitive answer next time one way or another, I promise.

Nearly there!

I am very intrigued by this move by Boesky- does he want Piggy banned? Or married to a puppet of him? Just a grovelling apology?

More please!

I'm going to be very amused if Boesky has fallen into the surprisingly common mistake of failing to recognize the actor and role as the same person, meaning that he really does want Miss Piggy there, not Frank Oz.
I'm told this is a common occurrence for puppeteers, ventriloquists, and voice actors (although it's funnier for ventriloquists since the whole gag is that you can see both "people" at the same time).

I'm going to be very amused if Boesky has fallen into the surprisingly common mistake of failing to recognize the actor and role as the same person, meaning that he really does want Miss Piggy there, not Frank Oz.
I'm told this is a common occurrence for puppeteers, ventriloquists, and voice actors (although it's funnier for ventriloquists since the whole gag is that you can see both "people" at the same time).

It's a measure of success in bringing the character to life, really. It's certainly better than the opposite - when you need to keep reminding your guest stars to look at the felt frog, not the man underneath, which I've heard has happened with some Muppet guest stars. Others, as you say, keep talking to the frog even when the camera stops rolling, and the puppeteers were always happy to go along with that.

Honestly, if Oz is told Boesky wants to talk to the pig, I would expect him to bring the puppet with him whether that's what Boesky meant or not.

Since this timeline has placed such an extensive focus on Jim integrating himself with the videogame industry, I'm really hoping that in E3 in the future, not only does Nintendo do the puppet bit (hopefully without Iwata getting cancer necessitating it) but that Jim is brought along for the ride in Muppet form to promote the latest Disney game, maybe Kingdom Hearts becoming a Nintendo exclusive here with the Muppets?

maxresdefault.jpg

Since this timeline has placed such an extensive focus on Jim integrating himself with the videogame industry, I'm really hoping that in E3 in the future, not only does Nintendo do the puppet bit (hopefully without Iwata getting cancer necessitating it) but that Jim is brought along for the ride in Muppet form to promote the latest Disney game, maybe Kingdom Hearts becoming a Nintendo exclusive here with the Muppets?
Dude is 1984 square didn't got the bankrupcy to become the company it was and i fear atari might screw nintendo.

I wonder if Jim, being fond of Japanese media, would take an interest in Power Rangers?
I mentioned early on in the thread that cross-pollination between America's puppetry renaissance and Japanese Tokusatsu could produce some very interesting results. The timeline hasn't gotten there yet but by the 1990s we could see some interesting new shows.

I mentioned early on in the thread that cross-pollination between America's puppetry renaissance and Japanese Tokusatsu could produce some very interesting results. The timeline hasn't gotten there yet but by the 1990s we could see some interesting new shows.
Maybe he could convince Disney to back Saben's 1986 Bio-Man project.
That could be interesting but being limited to Disney Channel might reduced their reach and appeal...and this is before Disney got ABC..and say anything you want, Disney did nailed PR when they took him for Saban OTL,sadly they just didn't give a damn back them

But why even need saban? Disney should pull his special and skip the middleman..and adapt it themselves.

Last edited:
That could be interesting but being limited to Disney Channel might reduced their reach and appeal...and this is before Disney got ABC..and say anything you want, Disney did nailed PR when they took him for Saban OTL,sadly they just didn't give a damn back them

But why even need saban? Disney should pull his special and skip the middleman..and adapt it themselves.
Which network does Disney have a distribution deal with in 1986? Maybe they buy one of the networks earlier ITTL.

Which network does Disney have a distribution deal with in 1986? Maybe they buy one of the networks earlier ITTL.
At the TL date,the switched from NBC to CBS that is pre-henson, but here both ABC and NBC might be up to sale very soon too. So could debut in CBS before channel hop to A/NBC and rerun in disney channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.